• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
^^^^ THIS.

If nintendo doesn't want this happening, they need to do a Smash direct NOW, not November, NOW.
There's early November though, that'd probably be the safest bet on that month but mid or late is otherwise definitely risking the roster getting leaked.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Isaac vs. Gaara - Earth-based fighters
King K. Rool vs. Blackbeard - Evil pirates
Mario vs. Goku - Mascots
Medusa vs. Orochimaru - Serpentine antagonists
Meta Knight vs. Kenpachi - Honorable rivals
Palutena vs. Saori Kido - Mentors of divine champions
Pikachu vs. Killua - Electric-based fighters
Pit vs. Pegasus Seiya - Gods chosen champions
Takamaru vs. Kenshin Himura - Samurais

Come on guys you all know that you want it. You can't fight it. :evil::p
Eh not really I'm not interested in shows from Japan nowadays, I only care about the ones I grew up with. Now if Nintendo crossed over with Marvel universe, Warner Bros or Disney would be up my alley!

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Nintendo's plans don't revolve around leaks. They reveal things when they are ready to and try to prevent leaks from happening.

It would be silly for them to be like "Oh no the leakers are going to show everything! Let's beat them to it first!"

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
Also, if there are going to be two directs in November, one will surely be focusing Pokemon LG
If Smash comes soon in the month, then the Pokemon focused direct will be too late for the game release to matter a lot for it
If Smash comes later in the month, then we are gonna probaly get leaks from a release of review copies or storage ones
The Smash Direct, if there is one, will come late in the month for optimal release of the game, to keep it fresh in the minds outside the hardcore fans

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Mario vs. Goku - Mascots

Rosalina vs. Jotaro Kuji

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Mario vs. Goku - Mascots

Yoshi vs. Chomper :yoshi:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Big Battle fields would be the normal stage, Battlefield would be the battle field stage and final destination would be the omega.

Even though they say he may, I see Nintendo standing in on it. To much money to not gain.
To reiterate, FD is a completely different stage. It's not like BF and Big BF where it just has the same design with a different layout. It's a different stage altogether.

I suppose that your idea of Big BF with BF could work, but that'd just be arbitrarily separating standard BF from the rest of the stages for no real reason.

Plus, it'd be pretty weird to have Big BF without BF. It really wouldn't make much sense.

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
Nintendo's plans don't revolve around leaks. They reveal things when they are ready to and try to prevent leaks from happening.

It would be silly for them to be like "Oh no the leakers are going to show everything! Let's beat them to it first!"
I get the impression this kind of lead to the weird reveal cycle, though. They basically dropped most of the newcomers in the 8/8 direct.
I'm actually surprised we don't know more about Spirits now. Sakurai was so upset by people uploading SSE footage online that he didn't make any sort of main single-player mode in SSB4.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Right, I'm just saying. Yoshi's world has always been Mario's world; in contrast to DK and Wario who have their own separate canons.

Anyway, this could be interesting...
I know Sakurai said if they didn't go the "everyone is here" route and started from scratch, Ultimate would've only included a third of the characters it has. I don't think he'd go that far, so I made a hypothetical roster if Smash cut about half its characters. This might've been before Ridley (and everyone after) was revealed, but idk if that changes anything.

Taking another look at it, I don't think they'd even include Peach, but this is just a guess anyway. It doesn't have to be exactly this many characters, but there's 32 here.
I've thought about what it would be for a hypothetical Smash reboot, and this is the roster I made:

Obviously I can't project 5-10 years into the future, so I was thinking what they would do now. And some characters would be transformational (Samus/Zero Suit, Zelda/Sheik) others would have echoes (Marth/Lucina, Peach/Daisy) to make it bigger. Though, I still had trouble with sticking to 30, so I went to 40. Pokemon Trainer would have been Alolan Trainer (or whatever future Gen it is). And I feel like this is way more third parties than would be in a hypothetical roster, but I wanted to give each third party one character. Also I could see one or two of the retro characters being replaced by a WTF character, but can't think of any good ones (which is why I'm not a game designer).

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

I would agree with you, except Sakurai specifically described his disappointment with how the ESRB leak ruined the final surprises of the roster before he could reveal them.

I'm sure Nintendo would keep that in mind with how much respect they have for the guy.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
What are y'all's thoughts on Vergeben being silent about Smash? Do you think the final bits of info he has leaked are it, or that there's more he's not saying/has nothing else, or that Nintendo ninjas caught him?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
There will be exactly 1 more Direct.
In other news, there are 103 stages in Ultimate, according to CoroCoro. We are all stunned and amazing that the stage leak of Sakurai announcing the total and showing us a ******* graph in the middle of a Smash Direct turned out to be true.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
It's a joke referencing how Jotaro beat DIO.
Jotaro (somehow) finds out he has the same "type" of stand as DIO and uses DIO's own abilities against him.

It's a bit of a running gag within the Jojo community that Jotaro can beat whoever because he's the same as them.
Dude, Praline's going through the series as we speak...

beans

Smash Lord
What are y'all's thoughts on Vergeben being silent about Smash? Do you think the final bits of info he has leaked are it, or that there's more he's not saying/has nothing else, or that Nintendo ninjas caught him?
He already said he wanted out of the Smash leaking scene because of the comunity if Im not mistaken.

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
I've thought about what it would be for a hypothetical Smash reboot, and this is the roster I made:

Obviously I can't project 5-10 years into the future, so I was thinking what they would do now. And some characters would be transformational (Samus/Zero Suit, Zelda/Sheik) others would have echoes (Marth/Lucina, Peach/Daisy) to make it bigger. Though, I still had trouble with sticking to 30, so I went to 40. Pokemon Trainer would have been Alolan Trainer (or whatever future Gen it is). And I feel like this is way more third parties than would be in a hypothetical roster, but I wanted to give each third party one character. Also I could see one or two of the retro characters being replaced by a WTF character, but can't think of any good ones (which is why I'm not a game designer).
You're braver than I am for trying to predict newcomers with this, but I don't see Bomberman or Sora being playable for wildly different reasons.
Sora is owned by Disney, and there's basically nothing in it for them. It would be cool, but Nintendo and Sakurai can only do so much.
Bomberman on the other hand has competition from Simon and Richter. I think Sakurai deliberately made him an assist trophy because it represents what he can do.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Only on Smashboards would there be claims of two possible Directs in the month a major Pokemon game launches and people think both of them are Smash, lol.

He already said he wanted out of the Smash leaking scene because of the comunity if Im not mistaken.
You are mistaken, he said he's stepping back from GameFAQs for the time being because of the cyclical conversation and chronic denial.

If he has something more to say, I see no reason why he wouldn't. It would help progress conversation. Even should he be tired of GameFAQs, he also uses reddit for leaking.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Does GameFreak usually have a Pokemon Direct the same month a game releases...?

I thought they were just in May; I really only expect one Smash Direct early November, and maybe a separate reveal.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
what information would GF need to reveal about Lets go in a direct lol
They straight up revealed the post game a couple days ago and got a ton of negative reaction from their horrible interviews

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
what information would GF need to reveal about Lets go in a direct lol
They straight up revealed the post game a couple days ago and got a ton of negative reaction from their horrible interviews
All the more reason they'd need a Direct for damage control.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
All the more reason they'd need a Direct for damage control.
They will get **** on, just by announcing a Pokémon Direct when people wait for Smash news...
GF are absolutely ****ed on that front. They can't do anything to save their face actually...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I would agree with you, except Sakurai specifically described his disappointment with how the ESRB leak ruined the final surprises of the roster before he could reveal them.

I'm sure Nintendo would keep that in mind with how much respect they have for the guy.
Well, they're certainly pushing their luck. The ESRB leak came out around a month and a half before Smash 4 3DS.

I get that Sakurai hates leaks, but there's not much else Nintendo can do to stop them without completely throwing away their schedule. Character reveals and new info get people to tune in to Directs and other presentations, and I'd imagine they'd much rather risk something being leaked than to randomly throw everything away in random uploads.

It's just business, and Sakurai knows that. Nintendo has worked with him to keep his project a secret, and I'm sure he was very happy knowing "Everyone is Here!" didn't get leaked.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
What’s the track record of the guy tweeting that there might be one or two directs in the near future?

Weeman

Smash Crusader
How about this, we get something like the 50 fact extravaganza in november, but instead of facts it's newcomers.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
You're braver than I am for trying to predict newcomers with this, but I don't see Bomberman or Sora being playable for wildly different reasons.
Sora is owned by Disney, and there's basically nothing in it for them. It would be cool, but Nintendo and Sakurai can only do so much.
Bomberman on the other hand has competition from Simon and Richter. I think Sakurai deliberately made him an assist trophy because it represents what he can do.
It's less of a prediction, and more of a hypothetical roster--what I would like to see if we had a reboot. As for likelihoods, Disney is like any other company--if it makes them money, they don't care (this is hyperbolic, but Disney's not this crazy unapproachable company people make them out to be). And we at the very least have a Disney representative that stated they would defer to Nomura. Sora's very likely for DLC, if not the base. And yeah, Bomberman's more my choice since technically we already know Sakurai's Konami pick for Ultimate. But it makes sense to me for a 30-40 roster for many of the third party IP being mascot characters.

EDIT:
How about this, we get something like the 50 fact extravaganza in november, but instead of facts it's newcomers.
50 more characters. I'm up for that. :grin:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom