• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
If the last characters were; Incineroar, Geno, Ken, and Shadow, would anyone actually complain about this incredible roster?

Of course Steve, Shantae, Rayman, Sora, Crash, KOS-MOS etc. would be wonderful, and we all want that one character we're rooting for, but this game is MASSIVE and I can't imagine someone not thinking the amount of characters we have is already enough.
As I've said before, they could have stopped at E3 and I would have been satisfied. However, they didn't and continued, and with each Direct they raised the bar and expectations as well (well, personally the Nintendo Direct lowered mine, but that's just personal preference). So, I don't think it's at all wrong for people to complain if none of the newcomers appealed to them, and nothing wrong about being upset that all the the unique newcomers from now on were already rumored.

It's very likely this will be the first time I play a Smash game where I have not played a single game with a unique newcomer. That's just the roll of the dice with a limited roster, it's nobody's fault, it's just bad luck. Am I supposed to be happy for that? No. But I am happy that everyone's back, so that even if none of the newcomers appeal to me personally, I have the veterans to enjoy. I can hold those two views consistently, being upset at the newcomers, but glad for everyone returning.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, even if the roster ended at Inklings and Ridley, I personally would have gotten over the disappointment pretty quick once I remembered "Everyone is here!"

We've gotten off pretty dang good this game IMO. I honestly don't even know where Smash goes from here. I have a feeling once post-launch content finishes up, we're probably not gonna see Smash again for a long, long time, and it'll be very different when we do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
As I've said before, they could have stopped at E3 and I would have been satisfied. However, they didn't and continued, and with each Direct they raised the bar and expectations as well (well, personally the Nintendo Direct lowered mine, but that's just personal preference). So, I don't think it's at all wrong for people to complain if none of the newcomers appealed to them, and nothing wrong about being upset that all the the unique newcomers from now on were already rumored.

It's very likely this will be the first time I play a Smash game where I have not played a single game with a unique newcomer. That's just the roll of the dice with a limited roster, it's nobody's fault, it's just bad luck. Am I supposed to be happy for that? No. But I am happy that everyone's back, so that even if none of the newcomers appeal to me personally, I have the veterans to enjoy. I can hold those two views consistently, being upset at the newcomers, but glad for everyone returning.
Even if a newcomer doesn't appeal to me I still try them out. No use wasting the money you spent by not atleast trying everything the game has to offer. But that's your choice I guess.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, I've been "satisfied" with the roster since Brawl. But there's always more things that can be done to the game, that would make me happier.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Even if the newcomers don't appel to me I still try them out. No use wasting the money you spent by not atleast trying everything the game has to offer. But that's your choice I guess.
I'll try every character out--I'm not saying I wouldn't. I'm talking about my own "personal hype" prior to playing the game. As I said, I was already hyped at "Everyone is Here" and the amount of content in this game is worth dozens more than $60, even not taking in the newcomers into account. But strictly in terms of newcomers, none have personally appealed to me yet (which goes to how much is already in the game to begin with since there are few who would).

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
The reality is that Nintendo is a business and there's money to be made for Smash DLC. They know it, we know it. It won't be free, but it will come. I guarantee this.

D

Deleted member

I personally wouldn't expect another general Direct until January, honestly. The last Smash Direct will probably be the final one of the year.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Also I should point out, since I'm trying to explain how "ONLY 103 STAGES!" confirms Box Theory (spoilers: I can't). Even if there's only 103 stages, SE rep being in the base or a character like Shadow would still kill it. Likewise, 108 stages wouldn't kill the Box Theory--just stages without a character would allow it (like Monster Hunter). One doesn't support the other. But you all do you. :p
"You do you, and I'll do me, and we won't do each other. Probably."

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If the last characters were; Incineroar, Geno, Ken, and Shadow, would anyone actually complain about this incredible roster?
People would complain, but at the same time I don't think it'd last as long as it did with the previous two rosters, the top picks that don't make it are mostly ones who became such over the course of the game's speculation period (from August and onwards was when people got really wild really), so the expectations of them getting in have been shortlived in contrast to Ridley, K. Rool, Mewtwo, etc, and of course every veteran returning avoids any nasty surprises.

There will always be an initial shock, which I might add is completely natural and understandable, it's only healthy that fans are passionate about the game and their most wanted characters, but I think most people will have gotten over it once the game is out.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
I'm personally hoping for a direct next week.

But that's because for the two weeks after next week, I'll be super busy with schoolwork and midterms.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
The reality is that Nintendo is a business and there's money to be made for Smash DLC. They know it, we know it. It won't be free, but it will come. I guarantee this.
If they wanna get filthy reach (implying they arent already), just make cosmetics skins buyable(with in game currency or real life money) ala sf5, lol, sc, etc.

I myself would spend a unhealthy amount of money on those.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Here's a question: What are your bets the Everyone Is Here poster continues with DLC? I find it incredibly unlikely, as it was probably planned with a goal in mind, and the "moving around" is only to accommodate what was already planned. However, it would be disappointing for people's characters who are DLC, as then not "everyone is here." Food for thought.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I'll ask a question myself: what are your top 10 characters in Ultimate? Doesn't matter for what reason (mains, preference, etc.), and order/no order is up to you.

For me:
1. :ultlink:
2. :ultgreninja:
3. :ultlucario:
4. :ultsonic:
5. :ultmewtwo:
6. :ultsimon: (:ultrichter:)
7. :ulttoonlink:
8. :ultpit:
9. :ultyounglink:
10. :ultmarth:

A good time to have literally 10 (11?) mains.

1.:ultwolf:
2.:ultsnake:
3.:ultsimon:
4.:ultchrom:
5.:ultdk:/:ultkrool:
6.:ultyounglink:
7.:ultroy:/:ultdaisy:
8.:ultridley:
9.:ultwiifittrainer:
10.:ultdarksamus:/:ivysaur:

TheMilkmann

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, even if the roster ended at Inklings and Ridley, I personally would have gotten over the disappointment pretty quick once I remembered "Everyone is here!"

We've gotten off pretty dang good this game IMO. I honestly don't even know where Smash goes from here. I have a feeling once post-launch content finishes up, we're probably not gonna see Smash again for a long, long time, and it'll be very different when we do.
Next game will be a reboot with only a select few characters, and no newcomers. Calling it now.

EDIT: That, or there will be no returning fighters except the original 12, and everyone else will be a newcomer, with a smaller roster size, maybe brawl sized?

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Here's a question: What are your bets the Everyone Is Here poster continues with DLC? I find it incredibly unlikely, as it was probably planned with a goal in mind, and the "moving around" is only to accommodate what was already planned. However, it would be disappointing for people's characters who are DLC, as then not "everyone is here." Food for thought.
I can see them simply expanding it on the sides, so they can place some more characters there

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I'm personally hoping for a direct next week.

But that's because for the two weeks after next week, I'll be super busy with schoolwork and midterms.
Be sure to study as hard as you can, and best of luck to you.
speaking of that can someone link the poster again, i had it saved on my computer but i lost it when i had to reinstall windows AGAIN. So i lost it.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Be sure to study as hard as you can, and best of luck to you.

speaking of that can someone link the poster again, i had it saved on my computer but i lost it when i had to reinstall windows AGAIN. So i lost it.
I use it for my wallpaper--it's so beautiful to look at.

EDIT: Here's my wallpaper--not sure how to upload the full hi-res version of it, though.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I mean, all it really would take is them having the artist draw a few more characters. I don't see that really being much of an issue.

D

Deleted member

Why do we need a remaster of Zelda for NES?

Shouldn't we have a remake instead?

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
The poster is always expanding and rearranging whenever a character is added so I think there will be room for DLC characters.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Some fun news I just want to let you know
Smash Bros Voting Fist LUL

Big Brain: Saitama in Smash confirmed and we were Jebaited all along.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom