• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Wait a minute...

If this release build thing is true, then this changes everything. If anyone is able to attend to that Live event and can try out the demo, there needs to be immediately a list of changes. There are ALOT that will have changed from E3 to release canditate.
I just want somebody to list the changes so I can drink the tears of Bayo mains and hopefully Cloud mains

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
* Cough * *Cough*
We're talking about the company that released this:
Yeah? They release bad or overpriced products sometimes, and they can be greedy.

But if Nintendo's suits were that corrupt and controlling, where was our Day 1 DLC for BotW and Odyssey? Heck, all of Odyssey's "DLC" so far has been free.

IS really pushed it with Echoes, but mainline Nintendo games have been much better handled.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I'll ask a question myself: what are your top 10 characters in Ultimate? Doesn't matter for what reason (mains, preference, etc.), and order/no order is up to you.

For me:
1. :ultlink:
2. :ultgreninja:
3. :ultlucario:
4. :ultsonic:
5. :ultmewtwo:
6. :ultsimon: (:ultrichter:)
7. :ulttoonlink:
8. :ultpit:
9. :ultyounglink:
10. :ultmarth:
A good time to have literally 10 (11?) mains.
  1. :ultlucas:
  2. :ultness:
  3. :ultdaisy:
  4. :ultvillager:
  5. :ultsimon:
  6. :ultdiddy:
  7. :ultzelda:
  8. :ultpacman:
  9. :ultkirby:
  10. :ultluigi:

LetterO

Smash Lord

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I am hopeing that giant square gets filled out. that would be nice.

I I still believe Final Destination, battle Field and Big battle field should take up one space.

I mean, they are the exact examples of Battlefild and omega forms. Why all separate selects.
Because they're all unique stages.

It wouldn't make sense for Battlefield to be the BF version on FD and vice versa, because they're two different stages.

As for Big BF, there's no such thing as "Big BF" forms, so there's no real reason for it to be included with BF.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I mean...That's PR statement, you have no company saying "HUM YEEE WE MAKE DLC ALREADY"
It is something to keep in mind, but I totally don't really feel it
Sakurai is a contracted developer after all.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Yeah? They release bad or overpriced products sometimes, and they can be greedy.

But if Nintendo's suits were that corrupt and controlling, where was our Day 1 DLC for BotW and Odyssey? Heck, all of Odyssey's "DLC" so far has been free.

IS really pushed it with Echoes, but mainline Nintendo games have been much better handled.
Sure, but if it's Geno we're talking about, we know stingy Square can be.
I can see Square forcing Sakurai to have Geno as Day 1 DLC just for more profits...

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
* Cough * *Cough*
We're talking about the company that released this:
Nintendo, as much as I love them, has made some really... interesting... profit-driven decisions. Which, they're a company, that's what they do (doesn't mean we can't criticize them for it). However, I do believe Sakurai has talked about the scam of making players pay more for an unfinished product, which that's essentially what Day 1 DLC is. That doesn't mean Nintendo can't force his hand--but I also think Sakurai wouldn't go without a fight. We'll have to see who wins out.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Sure, but If it's Geno we're talking about, we know stingy Square can be.
I can see Square forcing Sakurai to have Geno as Day 1 DLC just for more profits...
That's... Not how it works. Square doesn't get to demand something like that. It's not their game.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Sure, but if it's Geno we're talking about, we know stingy Square can be.
I'm no expert on how these things work, but that just doesn't sound like something Square would have the ability to demand.

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
I don't get why people think DLC being planned before launch is so unlikely.
Sakurai makes odd, unpredictable creative decisions, but he's not an idiot.
Smash 4 was the team's first attempt at DLC and it was successful, why wouldn't they be thinking about DLC once the game is ready for release?

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Because they're all unique stages.

It wouldn't make sense for Battlefield to be the BF version on FD and vice versa, because they're two different stages.

As for Big BF, there's no such thing as "Big BF" forms, so there's no real reason for it to be included with BF.
Big Battle fields would be the normal stage, Battlefield would be the battle field stage and final destination would be the omega.

Here:
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...ssibility_of_smash_bros_ultimate_demo_and_dlc

"Obviously that was a big part of the Wii U game, but part of Mr Sakurai's approach is really focusing on getting the game done, and then once he has the game done, he'll start to make some decisions about what he wants to do with other characters or DLC, things like that. Whether or not he decides to do DLC again, or whether or not he decides this is the ultimate edition and there's nothing more I can fit in there - we'll have to see as we get closer to launch."​
-Bill Trinen (emphasis mine)

This may get ignored because DLC is practically assured by users here.
Even though they say he may, I see Nintendo standing in on it. To much money to not gain.

Last edited:

Splotim

Smash Apprentice

Botw did have day one dlc. It was some treasure chests and a switch shirt.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'll ask a question myself: what are your top 10 characters in Ultimate? Doesn't matter for what reason (mains, preference, etc.), and order/no order is up to you.

For me:
1. :ultlink:
2. :ultgreninja:
3. :ultlucario:
4. :ultsonic:
5. :ultmewtwo:
6. :ultsimon: (:ultrichter:)
7. :ulttoonlink:
8. :ultpit:
9. :ultyounglink:
10. :ultmarth:

A good time to have literally 10 (11?) mains.
For me, it'd be:
1.:ultridley:
2.:ultkrool:
3.:ultwolf:
4.:ultrichter:
5.:ultdarksamus:
6.:ultlucas:
7.:ultduckhunt:
8.:ultpokemontrainer:
9.:ultlucario:
10.:ulttoonlink:

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure a remember the Animal Crossing dev team really wanted Animal Crossing amiibos. But Nintendo said they needed a game for them to work with in order for said amiibos to be made. So I'm guessing the team made Amiibo Festival as an excuse game to get AC amiibos made.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I don't get why people think DLC being planned before launch is so unlikely.
Sakurai makes odd, unpredictable creative decisions, but he's not an idiot.
Smash 4 was the team's first attempt at DLC and it was successful, why wouldn't they be thinking about DLC once the game is ready for release?
I'm not sure if there's anybody saying planning DLC before the game launches is problematic--they did that with Mewtwo. Sakurai has stated he doesn't plan for DLC until the game is completed, that's not the same as when it launches. The main problem is Day 1 DLC, which I'll let Sakurai handle that:

These days, the “DLC scam” has become quite the epidemic, charging customers extra money to complete what was essentially an unfinished product. I completely understand how aggravated players must feel. After all, a game should be 100% done at the time of release, and I would be livid if it were split up and sold in pieces.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I wonder if there's any other crazy Assist characters left to show. I feel like they'd probably have one or two more left, outside of returning ones at least.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if there's anybody saying planning DLC before the game launches is problematic--they did that with Mewtwo. Sakurai has stated he doesn't plan for DLC until the game is completed, that's not the same as when it launches. The main problem is Day 1 DLC, which I'll let Sakurai handle that:
The thing is that Sakurai's philosophy since Smash 4 has probably changed, and Ultimate already has so much content that Day 1 DLC wouldn't be too big of a deal, at least for me.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Does anyone here even remember StreetSmash? Yeah, that's for sure dead at this point.

TheCrystalCave

Smash Cadet
If the last characters were; Incineroar, Geno, Ken, and Shadow, would anyone actually complain about this incredible roster?

Of course Steve, Shantae, Rayman, Sora, Crash, KOS-MOS etc. would be wonderful, and we all want that one character we're rooting for, but this game is MASSIVE and I can't imagine someone not thinking the amount of characters we have is already enough.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
If the last characters were; Incineroar, Geno, Ken, and Shadow, would anyone actually complain about this incredible roster?

Of course Steve, Shantae, Rayman, Sora, Crash, KOS-MOS etc. would be wonderful, and we all want that one character we're rooting for, but this game is MASSIVE and I can't imagine someone not thinking the amount of characters we have is already enough.
Inevitably.

Most don't mind what we have now and are grateful for it.

Some will be upsetti that Sakurai 'didn't give their character a chance.'

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
The thing is that Sakurai's philosophy since Smash 4 has probably changed, and Ultimate already has so much content that Day 1 DLC wouldn't be too big of a deal, at least for me.
But we have no reason to assume that's the case. Can someone change their mind? Yes. Has Sakurai changed his before? Yes. But it's kind of hard to go from understanding how "aggravated" fans feel to aggravating those same fans. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but I see no reason to suspect it will.

Last edited:

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
Eh, I've seen a lot of both. I'd say something like Mewtwo is bound to happen again with how well Smash 4 DLC was recieved.
Day 1 DLC is unlikely but not impossible. Sakurai has changed his mind on bigger things before.
Every game has a limited time for development, and he probably sees it as an opportunity to add to the game instead of a "scam" as he put it.
Do you think people would be aggravated if Geno (or whoever is more in demand atm) was in as DLC, over him not being in the game at all?

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Does anyone here even remember StreetSmash? Yeah, that's for sure dead at this point.
Ooh. I do!
It's never coming back.

I think some people would be upset with Day 1 DLC specifically because of this notion:

"If the character is releasing the same day as the game, why would I pay extra for him/her?"

Iridium

Smash Hero
What now? First I’ve ever heard of this
Yeah, it's on the 3DS version, so maybe that's why. I never see it played very much, and you need StreetPass, so I guess there's that too. It's basically just tokens that have the characters' faces on them, and the goal is to knock out the opponents there. Sounds a bit boring, and it's not that exciting, really.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai does not call all of the shots, Nintendo does. If Nintendo wants day 1 DLC, then there's gonna be day 1 DLC. I honestly feel there's a bit of a misconception when it comes to Sakurai's influence on the games. He is the director, yes, and that means he does have say in what does and doesn't happen, but the final yes or no? That comes from Nintendo.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

I'm pretty sure most people (including myself) will be happy with at least one newcomer by the time they get hands on with the full game...
(I'm personally excited for Inklings, the Belmonts, Ken, and Incineroar)

But trust me, there will be some people who will complain to no end, because their character didn't get in. It's bound to happen.
You can't make everyone happy...

Oh yeah... That... What was the point of that again?

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I don't think Sakurai would start the official plans for DLC until after the game goes gold. However that doesn't mean he wasn't thinking about what DLC to make during the initial development. I'm sure he had a few ideas as things went along.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace

People will always complain, but that seems like a final solid reveal.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman

I would not complain about the list of characters you mention because of shadow. But in all seriousness the base roster we have now is incredible. The fact that all the veterans are back in one game instead of anyone being cut and we have new comers on top of that is amazing.

Edit: There going to be people who will be disappointed that their character did not make it. It’s going to happen so idk why people would be shocked or annoyed by others being disappointed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom