• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Untouch

Smash Master
Do we have a full translation of that CoroCoro article by the way?
Are people just seeing "103" are losing their minds? This is the smash community afterall.
They could just be talking about the 103 currently confirmed stages, the cutout we have makes it look like they're explicitly going over stages and not talking about any news.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
What do you mean.
Spawn Wave is a youtuber who covers video game news. He predicted some things right in the past. Now he's saying that his sources told him that a a character could possibly be announced at the game awards on December 6th.

As for Steve being one of our first DLC characters, it kinda makes sense...
verg leaked minecraft content as early as may or june. Not too early for DLC development to begin... Files for Bayonetta were implented in April 2015, with her officially being releaseed in February 2016. And yes, I believe we are getting Steve as a character, and not just a Minecraft stage or Creeper assist trophy... That Hitagi guy that leaked steve, got some stuff right about the 2019 switch model...
I'm telling you, it all lines up...

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I also love how to conform to all of the rumors, legit and BS, we now have three DLC characters--SE rep (legit, but status uncertain), the mobile game character and now Steve (BS).

They are really going hard on DLC if they'll have 3 out of the gate. :p

Untouch

Smash Master
Nintendo can get the rights to use a character as DLC without actually working on the DLC yet.

D

Deleted member

I also love how to conform to all of the rumors, legit and BS, we now have three DLC characters--SE rep (legit, but status uncertain), the mobile game character and now Steve (BS).
Does anyone really believe Hitagi though?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Do we have a full translation of that CoroCoro article by the way?
Are people just seeing "103" are losing their minds? This is the smash community afterall.
They could just be talking about the 103 currently confirmed stages, the cutout we have makes it look like they're explicitly going over stages and not talking about any news.
Even if it says Smash has a total of 103 stages! People still would be hoping for that 108. Sakurai said total himself and people are still hoping for more ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Potato_

Smash Lord
Even if you 100% believe Hitagi, he ended up backtracking and saying that Nintendo and Cygames were only in discussion about it at this point.

Really doubt it'll happen.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Hey, LeakyPandy would still be a fraud anyway, as they insinuated it was Dragon Quest :troll:

Though, which video did Spawn Wave mention this? I only remember their video where they just discussed the SE rumors, as it was shared here.
I forget which one, as it has been a little while now, but trust me, he said it.
I promise.
I mean, he did predict some stuff about the upcoming revised switch model

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Even if it says Smash has a total of 103 stages! People still would be hoping for that 108. Sakurai said total himself and people are still hoping for more ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I am hopeing that giant square gets filled out. that would be nice.

I I still believe Final Destination, battle Field and Big battle field should take up one space.

I mean, they are the exact examples of Battlefild and omega forms. Why all separate selects.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
People who want Steve do.
I think it's safer to rely on Vergeben's Minecraft content claims for Steve at this point, even if we just get a Creeper assist trophy instead. He did say he heard murmurs and such about Steve, including his main sources saying "probably," though I'm just expecting Minecraft to be DLC.

I wanted a playable Creeper, dang it.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
I can understand why.
...that damn blank space just looks so....why???
It's not even just the blank space, it's the fact that it isn't centered at all, Sakurai doesn't do this.
Before anyone tries to retort with the 3DS screen at launch, DLC was always planned. Dataminers found the DLC button on launch.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
I'll ask a question myself: what are your top 10 characters in Ultimate? Doesn't matter for what reason (mains, preference, etc.), and order/no order is up to you.

For me:
1. :ultlink:
2. :ultgreninja:
3. :ultlucario:
4. :ultsonic:
5. :ultmewtwo:
6. :ultsimon: (:ultrichter:)
7. :ulttoonlink:
8. :ultpit:
9. :ultyounglink:
10. :ultmarth:

A good time to have literally 10 (11?) mains.
I'll do two lists

Fighters I'll be using in Ultimate (In no order):
:ultmarth::ultike::ultganondorf::ultlink::ultlittlemac::ultroy::ultcloud::ultridley::ultrichter::ultkrool:

Favourite characters that are in Smash (In no order):
:ultlink::ultike::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultsamus::ultkrool::ultridley::ultrichter: :ultganondorf: :ultlucas:

In all honesty though I like pretty much every character that's in Smash. The more the merrier!

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I think it's safer to rely on Vergeben's claims for Steve at this point, even if we just get a Creeper assist trophy instead.

I wanted a playable Creeper, dang it.
The problem is Verge has not gotten confirmation from his Smash sources. He only heard from his non-Smash sources that they heard murmurs. Which is "he said, they said, they said." There's a reason why most of the time he doesn't talk about rumors until he's confirmed it with his Smash sources, which is why this is uncharacteristic (maybe it was Vergeben #5 that messed up :rotfl:). Still, he only says what is confirmed is "Minecraft content." So anything beyond that is implicitly referencing Hitagi as a source.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Ah yes, which company Vergeben talked about being secretive...

And yes, he was totally implying Square-Enix since he used Vergeben talking about it being "true" that they were secretive
Tansut pretty much implied his source was from Square by saying "I feel this confirms Vergeben's statement about a character from that company"
Never with certainty though. The uncertainty leaves leg room, and in my experience, a leaker who actively knows or has it clearly is direct, unless they're just trying to save face.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The problem is Verge has not gotten confirmation from his Smash sources. He only heard from his non-Smash sources that they heard murmurs. Which is "he said, they said, they said." There's a reason why most of the time he doesn't talk about rumors until he's confirmed it with his Smash sources, which is why this is uncharacteristic (maybe it was Vergeben #5 that messed up :rotfl:). Still, he only says what is confirmed is "Minecraft content." So anything beyond that is implicitly referencing Hitagi as a source.
True, though he did say that his main sources said "probably."

That's not confirmation, but it's...something, at least.

Never with certainty though. The uncertainty leaves leg room, and in my experience, a leaker who actively knows or has it clearly is direct, unless they're just trying to save face.
Sounds like he's saving face imo; he said he has a hunch on who the character is, and he knows it's not Ken that they're mad about, and since he leaked Cloud through riddles, it sounds like his source is from SE.

It's not 100%, but it's pretty close, especially since he says "that company" like he's trying to save his hide by making it unclear he knows stuff from Square.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I've been doing a lot of reading of the last few pages. Well, I also read some things from about 20 pages ago. There's either some misunderstandings going on surrounding the box theory (I hate even typing the word theory when it comes to speculating for a video game), CoroCoro's misprint, and what it all means going forward. I'll touch on Coro Coro first.

To preface all of this, I always love more content in my Smash games. I am not saying this because I "want to be right" and get fake internet points.

I think at this point, the far more believable conclusion to come to from all of this is that Coro Coro had a typo in it. Most other outlets magazines that reported on the Direct labeled the stage amount as "103 stages". To assume that Coro Coro was given information on five other stages while every single other magazine was not is a stretch, but I think we all know that, even if we don't want to admit it. There's also the idea that Coro Coro put legit information of 108 stages in, while other magazines decided to withhold it, but that's also assuming that the magazines would have that information rather than just doing their job and reporting on the Direct.

Basically, my verdict is that it was a misprint and we should take it as such. If you don't want to take my word for it then take it from Sakurai himself...who blatantly outlined and covered the fact that there are, "Voila! 103! We must be crazy!" in the August Direct. Again, I'm not saying this for fake internet points. In all honesty, I was really looking forward to an Alola stage whether it be Aether Paradise or some sort of Ultra Wormhole stage. Such sadness.

Onto the Box Theory...which is clearly divisive. While I understand why it's divisive, I think a lot of people are approaching the argument the wrong way. It's met with, most of the time, "No way that's really what's going on here, they'd never leak stuff like that. Besides, there's more characters than that!"

To the first point, that Nintendo "wouldn't let something like that slip":

Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 3.17.26 PM.png
This picture actually leaked that Diddy Kong, Paratroopa, and Birdo were going to be playable. Notice how the word "sample" is clearly at the bottom. I suppose that doesn't mean anything, but the content shown on the bag came to fruition in game. Something to think about.

Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 3.20.10 PM.png
I decided to include this particular screencap because it will further push the fact that this was indeed treated as a leak. It's not that anybody doubted it, but just to further the point.

That should be the end of the "Nintendo wouldn't slip up like that" argument. It happens. It can happen with Smash too. It's not some godlike game that is invincible and coveted with a blood pact by Nintendo employees.

At this point I just find it so interesting that those who think the Box theory might be right are almost instantly met with animosity for entertaining the idea that maybe, just maybe, we're not getting as many characters as some thought we were going to get, despite being told in different situations that, "I hope you aren't expecting too many new fighters".

Now, the "too many" part is up to interpretation. I myself predicted around 10 between unique and echo fighters since we got the full reveal of the game in June. Right now, we have 9 characters with potentially another 2 on the way.

Well, anyway, why does the box seem to work or potentially point toward the final count? There are a few reasons.

1) While the box design as it stands currently could be a placeholder, why not use this instead?
Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 3.40.50 PM.png
Why not create a placeholder image similar to this one rather than create a design that wouldn't eventually be used? The one we've seen, the one everyone dreads, has a design that is blatantly meant to look a certain way? Again, if it's a placeholder than can be drastically changed, why even create that one with 2 empty spots in the first place?

Furthermore, why save a specific two characters or such for the back of the box? It makes more logical sense, at least to me, that the back of the box will be plenty of advertisements for the game or the various characters that are crossing over into the series. There are plenty of explanations that make sense for the box to look that way that don't include characters.

This is a case where I believe the box was made for the roster total, not a roster made for the box. This is an important difference to make.

2) Here's a thread from Twitter that outlined quite a bit of what makes this actually interesting. It's the design of the "9 characters in a row" pattern that the box is designed with.

As is mentioned by the original poster, why create a pattern on a box that isn't going to be used when the pattern itself uses a character that has yet to be revealed? As in Ken fits between Palutena and Cloud, which sets up the rest of the pattern. That doesn't confirm Incineroar by any means, but it still supports the intention of the "9 character chunk" pattern.

3) The idea that it can't be real because x, y, and z doesn't actually do anything to build a constructive argument against it unless it actually has evidence to back it up. If there is evidence to suggest that there are more characters in, then ok. If there is evidence to show that this design would be changed at this point, then ok. Those are all welcome arguments.

I want to see some actual arguments though. It seems that a lot of people are exasperated, and that's part of the reason I want the Direct to come up and finish it all off. I don't want people to be at each other's throats over this game, but I also understand the stress that the prospect of nobody besides Ken and Incineroar for base roster causes. I was fortunate to get everything I could have ever wanted on day 1, so I can't say that I'm feeling the same as some of you.

All i'll say is this...between the Coro Coro screen today bringing us back down to 103 (you can't say it doesn't mean anything but then say that the 108 does mean something, that's quite hypocritical imo), it may or may not hint at either fewer characters or at least fewer characters that require a stage.

I'd love any thoughts anybody has, but please keep it civil. I know how people feel about the box, which I don't quite understand in terms of the animosity it inspires, but I think it's fine to have a civil discussion of it.

I mean really all I would say at the end of this is that you don’t have to believe that Box Theory is our lord and savior, and that you must repent for your speculation sins. Just keep in mind that there’s a possibility that we know the full roster already. Or, alternatively, there may be more but not as many as some are projecting there to be.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Oh no, that part was with certainty, the only part he have no information is the character, or which type of leak it is, whenever it's Text/Picture etc.

He obviously try to play it low, since he was the one who leaked Cloud, and he's using Vergeben's Square-Claim as truth, it's easy to guess that his source are Square-Enix sources

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
It's not even just the blank space, it's the fact that it isn't centered at all, Sakurai doesn't do this.
Before anyone tries to retort with the 3DS screen at launch, DLC was always planned. Dataminers found the DLC button on launch.
Could you say the same for Ultimate though?

Personally I'd rather it be centered and then add a dlc page button, but yeah I could see it being saved space for dlc

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
I'll ask a question myself: what are your top 10 characters in Ultimate? Doesn't matter for what reason (mains, preference, etc.), and order/no order is up to you.
I put together a tier list of "main likelihood" a bit ago; all of the top four tiers could fall under "top 10" by some category:
main-tier-list.png

(Summary of top)
Mainstays - :ultmario::ultluigi::ultness::ultlucas::ultroy:
Please be amazing - :ultdoc::ultpichu::ultpokemontrainer:
Excited to try - :ultganondorf::ultkrool::ultpikachu:
Occasional bit of fun - :ultfalcon::ultgnw::ultpacman:

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I've been doing a lot of reading of the last few pages. Well, I also read some things from about 20 pages ago. There's either some misunderstandings going on surrounding the box theory (I hate even typing the word theory when it comes to speculating for a video game), CoroCoro's misprint, and what it all means going forward. I'll touch on Coro Coro first.

To preface all of this, I always love more content in my Smash games. I am not saying this because I "want to be right" and get fake internet points.

I think at this point, the far more believable conclusion to come to from all of this is that Coro Coro had a typo in it. Most other outlets magazines that reported on the Direct labeled the stage amount as "103 stages". To assume that Coro Coro was given information on five other stages while every single other magazine was not is a stretch, but I think we all know that, even if we don't want to admit it. There's also the idea that Coro Coro put legit information of 108 stages in, while other magazines decided to withhold it, but that's also assuming that the magazines would have that information rather than just doing their job and reporting on the Direct.

Basically, my verdict is that it was a misprint and we should take it as such. If you don't want to take my word for it then take it from Sakurai himself...who blatantly outlined and covered the fact that there are, "Voila! 103! We must be crazy!" in the August Direct. Again, I'm not saying this for fake internet points. In all honesty, I was really looking forward to an Alola stage whether it be Aether Paradise or some sort of Ultra Wormhole stage. Such sadness.

Onto the Box Theory...which is clearly divisive. While I understand why it's divisive, I think a lot of people are approaching the argument the wrong way. It's met with, most of the time, "No way that's really what's going on here, they'd never leak stuff like that. Besides, there's more characters than that!"

This picture actually leaked that Diddy Kong, Paratroopa, and Birdo were going to be playable. Notice how the word "sample" is clearly at the bottom. I suppose that doesn't mean anything, but the content shown on the bag came to fruition in game. Something to think about.

I decided to include this particular screencap because it will further push the fact that this was indeed treated as a leak. It's not that anybody doubted it, but just to further the point.

That should be the end of the "Nintendo wouldn't slip up like that" argument. It happens. It can happen with Smash too. It's not some godlike game that is invincible and coveted with a blood pact by Nintendo employees.

At this point I just find it so interesting that those who think the Box theory might be right are almost instantly met with animosity for entertaining the idea that maybe, just maybe, we're not getting as many characters as some thought we were going to get, despite being told in different situations that, "I hope you aren't expecting too many new fighters".

Now, the "too many" part is up to interpretation. I myself predicted around 10 between unique and echo fighters since we got the full reveal of the game in June. Right now, we have 9 characters with potentially another 2 on the way.

Well, anyway, why does the box seem to work or potentially point toward the final count? There are a few reasons.

1) While the box design as it stands currently could be a placeholder, why not use this instead?
Why not create a placeholder image similar to this one rather than create a design that wouldn't eventually be used? The one we've seen, the one everyone dreads, has a design that is blatantly meant to look a certain way? Again, if it's a placeholder than can be drastically changed, why even create that one with 2 empty spots in the first place?

Furthermore, why save a specific two characters or such for the back of the box? It makes more logical sense, at least to me, that the back of the box will be plenty of advertisements for the game or the various characters that are crossing over into the series. There are plenty of explanations that make sense for the box to look that way that don't include characters.

This is a case where I believe the box was made for the roster total, not a roster made for the box. This is an important difference to make.

2) Here's a thread from Twitter that outlined quite a bit of what makes this actually interesting. It's the design of the "9 characters in a row" pattern that the box is designed with.

As is mentioned by the original poster, why create a pattern on a box that isn't going to be used when the pattern itself uses a character that has yet to be revealed? As in Ken fits between Palutena and Cloud, which sets up the rest of the pattern. That doesn't confirm Incineroar by any means, but it still supports the intention of the "9 character chunk" pattern.

3) The idea that it can't be real because x, y, and z doesn't actually do anything to build a constructive argument against it unless it actually has evidence to back it up. If there is evidence to suggest that there are more characters in, then ok. If there is evidence to show that this design would be changed at this point, then ok. Those are all welcome arguments.

I want to see some actual arguments though. It seems that a lot of people are exasperated, and that's part of the reason I want the Direct to come up and finish it all off. I don't want people to be at each other's throats over this game, but I also understand the stress that the prospect of nobody besides Ken and Incineroar for base roster causes. I was fortunate to get everything I could have ever wanted on day 1, so I can't say that I'm feeling the same as some of you.

All i'll say is this...between the Coro Coro screen today bringing us back down to 103 (you can't say it doesn't mean anything but then say that the 108 does mean something, that's quite hypocritical imo), it may or may not hint at either fewer characters or at least fewer characters that require a stage.

I'd love any thoughts anybody has, but please keep it civil. I know how people feel about the box, which I don't quite understand in terms of the animosity it inspires, but I think it's fine to have a civil discussion of it.
You're a smart lad Jones so I'm gonna trust you know what you're talking about except I have an issue with one of these.

The Warriors leak was a complete accident. I believe Nintendo got it taken down.
I don't know about the Tennis leak but I don't doubt that's the same case.

There's a big difference between complete accidents and highlighting this "accident" in the middle of a Direct for like 6 seconds. I don't feel that's valid evidence for the Box. But there's other valid evidence you can be used.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

I'm sure you'll get tons of this, but I truly appreciate your posts :) very thought out and kind to all parties.

Untouch

Smash Master
One of the major reasons why I think that we're getting 108 is that the Random button is the first button in the list on the direct's SSS.
I don't think this was a design decision because the demo SSS has the Random button at the end. Of course, there's a real chance they designed the demo SSS first (doubt it but I wouldn't rule it out), but I don't think that's really why it's happening here.

Since stages aren't unlockable in Ultimate, they likely never coded or designed the Random button to appear anywhere but at the end of the list. They cannot simply "lock" stages because the UI doesn't have that functionality. They also cannot JUST tell the engine to draw the first 103 stages because the Random button wouldn't be drawn then (it would be 108 then).
Based on my limited experience I would guess they shifted the entire drawing code 1 box forward, then drew the Random slot where box 1 would have been.

This would have been significantly easier to append the random box into the middle of the stage array just for 2 very short clips of the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom