• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I just want to believe the Box Theory is dead. Like, dead as in no brain function, dead. Yeah, sure an uneven amount of characters may look a little weird, but I don't want to think that NoA and the development team would just spoil the amount of characters they have left like that.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Remember guys, all opinions are valid.

As long as they're mine.

:4pacman:

In all seriousness, let's just move on. This debate is pointless: Just let people think what they wanna think and move on.

So, to start a new topic, what indie character would you personally choose for Smash, either as an AT or a playable fighter? Nintendo appearances don't matter, just have fun with it. :p

For me, I would LOVE to see Niko from Oneshot as an AT. It could be similar to the old Nightmare trophy where the screen goes completely dark, except Niko wanders around with the sun (for those who don't know the game, it's a lightbulb) and illuminates the area he walks around, forcing close quarter fights.
Frisk.

I'm not joking.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I think the box theory has some logic behind it, but it's certainly not concrete.
I mean, Verg said it was Incineroar, Ken, and a Square rep (please Geno) and some Minecraft representation.
That's at least four characters. The box can be changed.
It's at least 3, since Verge never committed to the Minecraft thing being a character. Hell, all of the claims around the Square character are really shaky too since "they could be DLC."

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I just want to believe the Box Theory is dead. Like, dead as in no brain function dead. Yeah, sure an uneven amount of characters may look a little weird, but I don't want to think that NoA and the development team would just spoil the amount of characters they have left like that.
Even if theres more than 2 characters revealed, even if they are all echoes, you KNOW we'll still be listening to Box Theorists act like theyre better than everyone else for sacrificing goats and virgins to images of cardboard boxes.

beans

Smash Lord
I think the box theory has some logic behind it, but it's certainly not concrete.
I mean, Verg said it was Incineroar, Ken, and a Square rep (please Geno) and some Minecraft representation.
Not to de rail the discussion, but Verge also added that SE rep could be DLC, just to fit the box theory

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
I think, this is the strongest argument against box theory right now, but let us also not forget that Verge stated he isn't sure about the Square Enix rep being base or dlc and that minecraft even has a fighter as representation and not just a stage or assist trophy...
Edit: :ultgreninja:

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
It's at least 3, since Verge never committed to the Minecraft thing being a character. Hell, all of the claims around the Square character are really shaky too since "they could be DLC."
Not to de rail the discussion, but Verge also added that SE rep could be DLC, just to fit the box theory
I think, this is the strongest argument against box theory right now, but let us also not forget that Verge stated he isn't sure about the Square Enix rep being base or dlc and that minecraft even has a fighter as represantation and not just a stage or assist trophy...
Good points, but still that's three characters. More than the box says there will be.

beans

Smash Lord

As long as they're mine.

In all seriousness, let's just move on. This debate is pointless: Just let people think what they wanna think and move on.

So, to start a new topic, what indie character would you personally choose for Smash, either as an AT or a playable fighter? Nintendo appearances don't matter, just have fun with it. :p

For me, I would LOVE to see Niko from Oneshot as an AT. It could be similar to the old Nightmare trophy where the screen goes completely dark, except Niko wanders around with the sun (for those who don't know the game, it's a lightbulb) and illuminates the area he walks around, forcing close quarter fights.
Mega Satan from The Binding of Isaac in the background doing a mega brinstone

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

As long as they're mine.

The Soldier from the Surface
Hero to every kid in the 2000s with a PC
Cave-Story-Quote-Blade-Strangers-1038x576.jpg

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Even if theres more than 2 characters revealed, even if they are all echoes, you KNOW we'll still be listening to Box Theorists act like theyre better than everyone else for sacrificing goats and virgins to images of cardboard boxes.
Exactly what I don't want to see, and I can't say it won't. Can't wait to see Sakurai pull out 3 or 4 just to end this all (if it does).

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Indie fighter?

I'm not big into it but I would definitley be down for Minecraft Steve, I have so many memories palying that game with friends over the years.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
l

As long as they're mine.

Shantae or Quote all the way. They would fit in with the rest of the cast perfectly.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

As long as they're mine.

The Knight from Hollow Knight, such a simple yet great character design with tons and tons of different attacks and abilities to pull from.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

As long as they're mine.

Part of me wants to go into a long lecture on epistemology and empiricism, but then I realize it's a silly theory with a silly box, and we'll know soon enough anyway :upsidedown:

I think Shovel Knight has the iconic status to being a part of Smash--more of a household name than the other characters. I would personally like Shantae because I've been convinced she has some of the best moveset potential, despite my initial skepticism of the character ("How is this no-name character the top of this poll?!"). Also benefits from having a strong history with Nintendo. Personally I like the idea of Sans in Smash, given the inspiration from Mother, but I can't think of a good Smash moveset, but think if Sakurai tried he could come up with something novel and unique. All that having been said, I feel like the most likely candidate, a character with an interesting moveset who can appeal to Japanese audiences and given he's very relevant with the Switch including being a part of the first official press conference--Travis Touchdown.

beans

Smash Lord
Mega Satan from The Binding of Isaac in the background doing a mega brinstone
I also would like to add Isaac as a fighter, but having a crying naked baby running around would surely be something not good

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I just want to believe the Box Theory is dead. Like, dead as in no brain function, dead. Yeah, sure an uneven amount of characters may look a little weird, but I don't want to think that NoA and the development team would just spoil the amount of characters they have left like that.
Yeah. Sakurai really hates leaks like that.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432

As long as they're mine.

Indie fighter? Hmm, I guess I would have to go with Hat Kid.

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
I still want (Binding of) Isaac as indie rep (which probably will never happen, still, one can dream).

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Nobody is doing that. Nobody who believes the box theory is rubbing their opinions in peoples faces and antagonizing people like you are. You have, frankly, been very rude and immature about this whole thing.

Nobody is acting like they're better than anyone else except you with your "flat-earther pastafarian" comparisons. It looks to me like you're just projecting.
Fire Emblem Warriors did it, so it wouldn't be a first.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Nobody is doing that. Nobody who believes the box theory is rubbing their opinions in peoples faces and antagonizing people like you are. You have, frankly, been very rude and immature about this whole thing.

Nobody is acting like they're better than anyone else except you with your "flat-earther pastafarian" comparisons. It looks to me like you're just projecting.
Fire Emblem Warriors did it, so it wouldn't be a first.
did you miss your friends last few posts? or are you just looking for a good boy medal?

D

Deleted member

The Knight from Hollow Knight, such a simple yet great character design with tons and tons of different attacks and abilities to pull from.
I really need to play that game at some point. The art style looks so dang good, I could totally see him being in Smash.

the music would make it all worth it.
I would pay whatever Nintendo asked for for a high quality Smash Bros. Bonetrousle remix. Moreso if it comes with Asgore and Spider Dance.

Indie fighter? Hmm, I guess I would have to go with Hat Kid.
With Snatcher as a Spirits mode boss!

TheBigKrunch200

Smash Rookie
did you miss your friends last few posts? or are you just looking for a good boy medal?
Hate to say it but...KingofKoopas, you do have a point. Dragonscythe has done nothing but give ignorance towards any other theory or any idea that counters his. However, it's uncalled for to unironically give ALL box theorists that antagonistic look.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Whatever you say -pats you on the head- now go play with your cardboard box while the grown ups talk ok?
Talking about pipedreams?

Not much of a discussion. But since people still want to live in denial.

Lets discuss who will be on the blog next week.

Bet bayo will be next week.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

As long as they're mine.

For me? I’d say Captain Viridian from VVVVVV. He could have a moveset revolving around switching gravities and use some of the obstacles from his game in his moveset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom