• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Calling anyone who doesnt pray in the direction of the image of a cardboard box 5 times a day an in denial pipe dreamer is hardly the height of maturity. But the mods said to stop and stop i have, you seem to not be able to get over the fact that people disagree with box theory..
You can think or disagree with whatever you want. I said earlier that I don't see a reason to commit to it, so I'm not sure why you're trying to paint me as a diehard box theorist.

But this topic has run its course, so...

The thing Imran said about Vergeben earlier was interesting. Not 100% sure how he would know that Verge is multiple people. On the topic of both of them, I always thought it was convenient that Verge started talking about a mystery Square character after Imran apparently teased them twice.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
On character posts, I think we're down to 20 characters left to be shown on the site, giving more reason to ignore the standard 4chan "today's post will be Hoobidoobi" posts as we move forward. It's not surprising that they've been popping up more as the pool has shrunk so it's best not to really give them any mind.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The end of the Smashboards movie is going to be us all claiming we're Verg but Nintendo doesn't care and bans us all.

Iridium

Smash Hero
You know, I just realized that :ulttoonlink: has appeared in Smash the most times compared to any other incarnation of Link (:linkmelee: and :younglinkmelee: kept separate). Interesting...

beans

Smash Lord
I've read it. Does that counts?
The Vergeben theory is actualy a reference to the Jorge Joestar novel, were there exists 36 Kars on Mars (the planet)
We are on 6 vergebens right now but just wait and that number will get bigger

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I really need to play that game at some point. The art style looks so dang good, I could totally see him being in Smash.
I really can't recommend it enough, as far as value for money goes I don't think you'll find a better game, the experience is worthy of a full price game imo.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Given ken is our last echo, do you think he will be like chrom and be slightly more unique.

Hoping he gets the chrom treatment. Ken needs that.

D

Deleted member

The thing Imran said about Vergeben earlier was interesting. Not 100% sure how he would know that Verge is multiple people. On the topic of both of them, I always thought it was convenient that Verge started talking about a mystery Square character after Imran apparently teased them twice.
If anything, I'm kinda lead to believe Imran when I hear that Vergeben says that "there's gonna be a new MVCI update". There's absolutely no way we're ever getting any updates to Marvel Infinite, given the absolute thrashing it's gotten. Literally the only way to go about Mahvel is to make Marvel VS. Capcom 4, go the Smash Ultimate route, and make it as best as it can be. Not to mention, with the Fox deal ending in two months and next gen coming, really the only route you can go is Marvel 4.

Trust me, I'd LOVE to see that happen, but I will tell you right now, it doesn't matter if it's Vergeben or Leaky Steve - Marvel VS. Capcom has ALWAYS been rooted in rumors that always are bull****.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Given ken is our last echo, do you think he will be like chrom and be slightly more unique.

I mean "Chrom treatment" was just Lucina treatment+ripped off recovery.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
I really dont get nintendos logic, they did an inverse marketing with this game.

Went all out on the E3, one direct then totally slowed down...like theres no need to market or keep the hype train, i just cant understand it.

Why not make something more modern, like keeping update on relevant content and more constant? And even so, the creator coming and saying straightforward they will slow down...

It boggles my mind, feels like they know smash is gonna sell a ****on despite whatever they announce, all the latest fg ive seen they totally had a campaign where 2 months ish before release they were absolutely jam announcing everything while in smash it feels the total opposite like they went all out and just wanted it to settle.

Even tho, ive always expected no info on october and just one direct in november, i find it so old fashioned and not hype.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

"Given Ken is our last Echo" Is a phrase you should probably know not to use at this point LOL
He'll be more unique with effects and all that but I can't see him getting any special moves.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If anything, I'm kinda lead to believe Imran when I hear that Vergeben says that "there's gonna be a new MVCI update". There's absolutely no way we're ever getting any updates to Marvel Infinite, given the absolute thrashing it's gotten. Literally the only way to go about Mahvel is to make Marvel VS. Capcom 4, go the Smash Ultimate route, and make it as best as it can be. Not to mention, with the Fox deal ending in two months and next gen coming, really the only route you can go is Marvel 4.

Trust me, I'd LOVE to see that happen, but I will tell you right now, it doesn't matter if it's Vergeben or Leaky Steve - Marvel VS. Capcom has ALWAYS been rooted in rumors that always are bull****.
When you say "Take the Smash Ultimate route" I think EVERYONE IS HERE and Capcom would cry if they tried doing that. Especially as the MVC3 team rejected Spiral for modeling those arms

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Vergeben has stated it will be rebranded as MVC4 when this update comes out.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord

IIRC Imran didn't say anything related to whether or not Vergeben was right about Marvel. It sounds like a pipedream, but I don't think he contradicted him... them?

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
"Given Ken is our last Echo" Is a phrase you should probably know not to use at this point LOL
He'll be more unique with effects and all that but I can't see him getting any special moves.
Not sure how ken is in newer games, but if 3rd strike, he was about 1 move off of ryu and properties. But it has been years

He xould totally work with minimal changes and be really unique .

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Not sure how ken is in newer games, but if 3rd strike, he was about 1 move off of ryu and properties. But it has been years

He xould totally work with minimal changes and be really unique .
Ken having an entirely new and unique move would shock me but I guess it could happen.

IIRC Imran didn't say anything related to whether or not Vergeben was right about Marvel. It sounds like a pipedream, but I don't think he contradicted him... them?
Why are talking about Imran

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Part of me wishes there's some weirdo character no one saw coming. Though to some extent, I guess that's what Richter is, since most Non-Castlevania fans wouldn't know him like that.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Me on the box theory:

65% I believe it's true to an extent... more characters will be DLCs or some very special guest characters are represented on the back of the box, so it's not necessarily stricty 2.

35% I believe it's not true

Me on the blog theory:

99% it's true. But it's also pointless. We will get a number of newcomers that ranges between 2 and 8, you don't even need a theory to reach that conclusion.
The blog theory is so vague that wathever happens it will be most likely true, but by being so vague it also doesn't state any solid information.
What we know is that the remaining characters are less than the already announced ones (9), and anything above 8 would break this rule... so yeah, you don't even need the blog.

1% it's not true and Sakurai will come out with some absurd stuff, either just 1 character or more than 9.

Me on the music theory:

100% it's not true. It has already been proved wrong with the release of 2 Fire Emblem tracks.

Me on Vergeben:

40% it's true... especially if the Square character and eventually Steve are DLCs. It may not be complete and maybe there is someone more that he doesn't know about.

60% there are some valid informations or just a huge amount of lucky guesses, but at the end something unexpected will happen and none of the remaining predictions of Vergeben will be real. The Ken screenshot is very credible but it's just an amazing photoshop work instead. Or maybe Ken is the only correct guess of the bunch.

Me on Famitsu's 108 stages thing:

95% it's real, there are 5 stages we know nothing about and that will be announced soon.

5% it's just a typo.

Me on Donkey Kong's Karate Joe hint:

65% it's just a coincidence, they took inspiration from the same cliche.

35% Karate Joe is in the base game! It's not only that hint, it's because many people requested for a Rhythm Heaven character and Karate Joe is the one Sakurai figured out a moveset for.
Also there is a very detailed Karate Joe leak that's been overlooked since after Isabelle's Direct, but it's technically not completely debunked yet (they may have switched the reveals last minute to dismiss the leak). I'm not refering to the gameplay screenshots, that was fake, I'm talking about the memories post.

Me on the Ballot/Popularity theory:

99% false. Sure Sakurai selected some picks also on popularity and ballot results, but he won't let fan requests get over his creative freedom that much.
Especially, those poplar choices are either echoes, or characters who are historically or relevancy-wise very important to their respective franchise, and they're not only selected by popularity, popularity only helped.
Add that the Ballot was not only about the amount of votes but also about the motivation written with the submission of the vote.

1% it's true... well, actually, Sakurai may be against that, but he's forced by Nintendo or something... kinda like he tried to avoid Masked Dedede as final smash for 2 games in a row but now he had no choice but to include it.

Me on the chair theory:

100% it's true, it's the proof that Susie from Kirby Planet Robobot is going to be in Smash, think about it, they're clearly ergonomic seatings, It can't be wrong!

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I really dont get nintendos logic, they did an inverse marketing with this game.

Went all out on the E3, one direct then totally slowed down...like theres no need to market or keep the hype train, i just cant understand it.

Why not make something more modern, like keeping update on relevant content and more constant? And even so, the creator coming and saying straightforward they will slow down...

It boggles my mind, feels like they know smash is gonna sell a ****on despite whatever they announce, all the latest fg ive seen they totally had a campaign where 2 months ish before release they were absolutely jam announcing everything while in smash it feels the total opposite like they went all out and just wanted it to settle.

Even tho, ive always expected no info on october and just one direct in november, i find it so old fashioned and not hype.
Sakurai's comment about slowing down also mentioned that they might have been a little to hasty, so this "inverse marketing" could just have been poor planning on their part. That said, we still don't know what "Spirits" mode is going to be like. There could still be a chance for it to be a huge enough deal to take up most of a direct all on its own.

Then there's simply the fact that Sakurai hates leaks. Perhaps he assumes that, by releasing everything early, there's less time for it to all get leaked.

D

Deleted member

Vergeben has stated it will be rebranded as MVC4 when this update comes out.
But why go off the base product of Marvel Infinite? That's practically shooting yourself in the head, rather than the foot. If we ever get Marvel VS. Capcom 4, we are not getting it for a LONG TIME. 2021 or 2022 would be my best guess, but we had to wait 10 years for Marvel VS. Capcom 3, and with the terrible response Infinite got, we might just have to wait 5-10 years.

When you say "Take the Smash Ultimate route" I think EVERYONE IS HERE and Capcom would cry if they tried doing that. Especially as the MVC3 team rejected Spiral for modeling those arms
If they want to get as much good credence back as possible, it really is of their best interest to go all out.

What I'm saying is that I'm led to believe Imran because whether you like it or not, Vergeben is completely wrong about the Marvel stuff. Every rumor that has ever come out of Marvel has been BS, so I wanna know who out of the Vergeben Team is saying that we're getting MVC4. This has happened with "MVC4", the "Uncanny Edition" of Marvel 3 and Infinite, as Maximillian says, "Marvel is rooted in bull**** rumors".

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Saddest thing about MVC3 is looking at all the fighters they rejected because source constraints. Theoretically, we could get Madrox of all people.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Ken having an entirely new and unique move would shock me but I guess it could happen.

Why are talking about Imran
I cannot remember, but the hurricane kick was in place for ken. His fireball was worse and his uppercut qas on fire.

All super easy to change.

For ryu super punch. That can change.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Saddest thing about MVC3 is looking at all the fighters they rejected because source constraints. Theoretically, we could get Madrox of all people.
Who the **** is Madrox
But why go off the base product of Marvel Infinite? That's practically shooting yourself in the head, rather than the foot. If we ever get Marvel VS. Capcom 4, we are not getting it for a LONG TIME. 2021 or 2022 would be my best guess, but we had to wait 10 years for Marvel VS. Capcom 3, and with the terrible response Infinite got, we might just have to wait 5-10 years.

If they want to get as much good credence back as possible, it really is of their best interest to go all out.

What I'm saying is that I'm led to believe Imran because whether you like it or not, Vergeben is completely wrong about the Marvel stuff. Every rumor that has ever come out of Marvel has been BS, so I wanna know who out of the Vergeben Team is saying that we're getting MVC4. This has happened with "MVC4", the "Uncanny Edition" of Marvel 3 and Infinite, as Maximillian says, "Marvel is rooted in bull**** rumors".
I mean we do NOT need bone claw Wolverine back. And that would be like 60 characters to add

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Because MVC:I provides a foundation that can be touched up enough to become MVC4.

Remember Arcade Edition? Despite the mixed reception for SF5 they've put in work to make it good again. I can see this happening with Marvel.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Man, I wish we got some custom moves as their "new" versions.

Like Ganondorf's diagonal wizard's foot was so good and further differentiated him from Falcon. Why not keep it?
Not to mention Echoes using the Customs instead, that would've been neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom