• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Tobal 2 came out in 1997 when people didn't really care about any sort of balance in fighting games. There were also many less components for a given character in Tobal 2.
80 characters, including Echoes, semi-clones and all that isn't all that much in comparison to at least 100 unique characters.
Which is why I'm also saying that Marvel 4 ain't coming out for a very long time, because if anything, they'll definitely need all the time they can get for this one, especially if they're going for the Smash Ultimate route.

Either way, pretty much all the rumors about MVC4 and the rebranding are hella fake. We've seen this happen so many times with Mahvel, it's practically "uncanny" in a way.

On Smash: CoroCoro, yay or nay? Seems like all of the ones rumored by Verge could potentially come without a stage. Yet, it's been about a month without a correction, and I can't see them going this long with what's potentially false advertising. If it were true, I'd expect them to be silent. I vote yay.
CoroCoro has a seriously good track record, and people go to that magazine chain for Pokemon leaks, which have 100% always been on the dot, so we're no doubt getting 5 more stages.

thespoiler

Smash Cadet
Crazy to think tomorrow we are 7 weeks away from launch. It’s been a painful 2 months in the Smash speculation world, but I predict we will know everything in approximately 7 weeks.

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
Question: What Final Fantasy characters would make good smash fighters? Terra gets my vote, but I also want to see how a character like Bartz would work too.
Vivi (ff9)

Represents the black Mage class and has a fun and interesting personality. I like clumsy characters, and he is very clumsy aswel.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Just for fun, here is the distribution of characters by gender in Ultimate:

Male: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultbowser::ultdoc::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultroy::ultchrom::ultgnw::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultwario::ultsnake::ultike::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ulttoonlink::ultwolf::ultmegaman::ultlittlemac::ultpacman::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultcloud::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool:

Female: :ultsamus::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultlucina::ultzss::ultrosalina::ultpalutena::ultbayonetta::ultisabelle:

Both Genders: :ultpikachu::ulticeclimbers::ultpokemontrainer::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultmiifighters::ultrobin:ultcorrin::ultinkling:

Gender Unknown: :ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultlucario::ultgreninja:

Genderless: :ultdarksamus::ultmewtwo::ultrob:
I know this is just silly and fun but two things,

Legitimate question, is Duck Hunt reffered to as male??? I didn't know that.

I think it's fair to put all the other Pokemon in either gender, as in the Pokemon game they can be. Not Mewtwo though it's in the right place.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
It is good to see the female count rise. For dlc, i want to see more female characters. Would be nice.

And goemon. Him to.

Is duck huntreally male?
I assume the dog is male too, there is no confirmation but it's a cartoony dog, if it was female they would have given it some cliche feminine behaviors or some visual traits such as eyelids and stuff.

Anyway there's a certain female character I want to be added to the roster so bad, I hope she makes it in the game somehow, as a duo or not I don't care much.

Jchrono95

Smash Apprentice
See Duck Hunts weird cause including the Duck and Dog there's someone using the Zapper as well, so it'd probably be better to put it under both

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Everyone is Here for Mahvel would be stupid as hell considering they shoved half the SF2 cast into the earlier entries. Aint nobody wants to see those resources wasted on goddamn DHALSIM of all characters.
But Dhalsim is my favorite Street Fighter character. :(

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I dont care if it would be a balancing nightmare, gimme Everyone is Here for MVC. And MK. And SF.
In MVCs case, theres still a huge pool of great choices for newcomers if theyre worrying about having to come up with new ideas for DLC that isnt shilling out veterans for eight dollars. Gimme Howard the Duck in his mech suit for a Tron Bonne rival, gimme the other Guardians, gimme Ant Man, Doctor Wahwee, Proto Man, Gwenpool, Luke Cage, Rashid, FANG, Scrooge McDuck, Blade, Doc Oc, Green Goblin, the dad from RE7, Loki, the list goes on and on.

I just want my boy Wolverine and my girl Tron back :(

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
So, I was thinking about Rayman for a bit. How exactly would his hurtboxes work, looking at the area inbetween his hands and body? Or would it not matter at all?

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
By the way, a new dumb theory made by me now in 5 minutes!

the Scary Theory

You see, in the picture with everyone, Wario and King Dedede are scared by someone on their right (left for you watching the picture); but on the left of those characters there are only a bunch of pokèmon, and as much as a dragon can be scary, I doub't they're scared for Charizard.
Maybe in the final version of the picture they will be moved near to Bowser, Ridley or Ganondorf, who knows... but this theory says that one of the newcomers is going to be very scary!

Add to that, the fact that the playlist got updated and the "new" tag got removed, so a Direct seem to be close... and we're also getting close to Halloween.

So, an Halloween Direct with a scary newcomer, is that possible?

Possible characters:

-Skull Kid (with the mask/carnival/costume theme)
-Pig Ganon (monster with dark magic who can summon other monsters, including bats that are iconic to Halloween)
-Sephiroth (sure he's scary, but not Halloween type of scary, so I doubt)
-Medusa (??? I don't know if ancient mithology works well with Halloween)
-Undertale character (I was joking some days ago but they fit the Halloween theme)
-Dark Matter (dark monster) or Taranza (Spider, another Halloween cliche)

and possibly more, I don't know.

What do you think?
I'm not serious about this but who knows, I would laugh hard if this turns out to be more accurate than the box, blog, and leaks XD

Also, if you have some suggestions for Halloween-themed characters, you are welcome (probably it's more suited for the character speculation thread but that thread is often dead).

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Likely not gonna happen but I'm hoping next week a duo reveal of Medusa and Skull Kid in response to Halloween and maybe if lucky Nightmare too.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I kinda wish Isabelle would've been revealed in October just so I could see the reaction from people expecting a spooky character.

"So who's the scary character gonna be? I was thinking Medusa at first, but it's probably Skull Kid."

*Gets Isabelle

"...Oh."

I know this is just silly and fun but two things,

Legitimate question, is Duck Hunt reffered to as male??? I didn't know that.

I think it's fair to put all the other Pokemon in either gender, as in the Pokemon game they can be. Not Mewtwo though it's in the right place.
The reason the Pokemon are listed as "Gender Unknown" is because they each have separate genders, but we don't know for certain which gender is represented in Smash. Is Jigglypuff male or female? Are all of Greninja's alts intended to be male?

Characters listed under "Both Genders" have the ability to switch between obvious male and female alts.

D

Deleted member

I kinda wish Isabelle would've been revealed in October just so I could see the reaction from people expecting a spooky character.

"So who's the scary character gonna be? I was thinking Medusa at first, but it's probably Skull Kid."

*Gets Isabelle

"...Oh."
Just imagine the madness if Isabelle and Ridley (or K. Rool) had their reveals switched.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Crazy to think tomorrow we are 7 weeks away from launch. It’s been a painful 2 months in the Smash speculation world, but I predict we will know everything in approximately 7 weeks.
I can't wait. Like many people, Evo 2018 more or less killed my interest in competitive Smash 4 and Ultimate looks so promising with only a fraction of the cast having footage. It's looking like it's going to be a really clean game on release, nevermind future patches, so I think it's okay that most people are already moving on from SSB4. The game had a great run but Ultimate is looking to upend it in virtually every aspect.

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
Just imagine the madness if Isabelle and Ridley (or K. Rool) had their reveals switched.
Personaly, I think if they switched Isabelle with K.Rool, the mood right now would've been better.
Smash Direct would've still been good with the Belmonts reveal, and we would be more happy with the more recent reveal of a fan favourite

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
By the way, a new dumb theory made by me now in 5 minutes!

the Scary Theory

You see, in the picture with everyone, Wario and King Dedede are scared by someone on their right (left for you watching the picture); but on the left of those characters there are only a bunch of pokèmon, and as much as a dragon can be scary, I doub't they're scared for Charizard.
Maybe in the final version of the picture they will be moved near to Bowser, Ridley or Ganondorf, who knows... but this theory says that one of the newcomers is going to be very scary!

Add to that, the fact that the playlist got updated and the "new" tag got removed, so a Direct seem to be close... and we're also getting close to Halloween.

So, an Halloween Direct with a scary newcomer, is that possible?

Possible characters:

-Skull Kid (with the mask/carnival/costume theme)
-Pig Ganon (monster with dark magic who can summon other monsters, including bats that are iconic to Halloween)
-Sephiroth (sure he's scary, but not Halloween type of scary, so I doubt)
-Medusa (??? I don't know if ancient mithology works well with Halloween)
-Undertale character (I was joking some days ago but they fit the Halloween theme)
-Dark Matter (dark monster) or Taranza (Spider, another Halloween cliche)

and possibly more, I don't know.

What do you think?
I'm not serious about this but who knows, I would laugh hard if this turns out to be more accurate than the box, blog, and leaks XD

Also, if you have some suggestions for Halloween-themed characters, you are welcome (probably it's more suited for the character speculation thread but that thread is often dead).
Before I get called party-pooper and other high brow insults, I've seen this before and I like to think Wario is reacting to Pokemon Trainer due to their relationship in SSE where Wario terrorized Lucas and Pokemon Trainer came to his safety.

Why King Dedede? Idk lol. Also I think a Charizard is absolutely something to be legitimately afraid of lol

D

Deleted member

Personaly, I think if they switched Isabelle with K.Rool, the mood right now would've been better.
Smash Direct would've still been good with the Belmonts reveal, and we would be more happy with the more recent reveal of a fan favourite
You might be right about that, actually.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Put Scrooge McDuck on the Capcom side as a reference to the NES Ducktales game as Howard's rival. Marvel's owned by Disney, so it's not that much of a stretch.
I've been saying since Disney bought Marvel that all the Nintendo Disney Capcom games should be in MvC now...

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Spooky direct would be cool but they'd have to make it a continuation of the belmont trailer... Skull Kid & Geno would be neat.

MvC needs Wolverine, Beast, Storm, Cyclops, Rogue, Gambit, Jean Grey, Iceman, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Psylocke, Angel, Magneto, Juggernaut, Mystique, Sabretooth, Pyro, Avalanche, Blob, Toad, Marrow, Bishop

And the main villain Apocalypse with Mikhail Rasputin, Abyss, Holocaust and Mister Sinister as horsemen. Then when you beat the horsemen have members captured to replace them ie; archangel, sunfire, hulk, dark beast, caliban.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Spooky direct would be cool but they'd have to make it a continuation of the belmont trailer... Skull Kid & Geno would be neat.

MvC needs Wolverine, Beast, Storm, Cyclops, Rogue, Gambit, Jean Grey, Iceman, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Psylocke, Angel, Magneto, Juggernaut, Mystique, Sabretooth, Pyro, Avalanche, Blob, Toad, Marrow, Bishop

And the main villain Apocalypse with Mikhail Rasputin, Abyss, Holocaust and Mister Sinister as horsemen. Then when you beat the horsemen have members captured to replace them ie; archangel, sunfire, hulk, dark beast, caliban.
I dunno about that last bit, i liked the idea of Ultron Sigma being a fusion of villains from both Capcom and Marvel, but my idea would be Dr. Doom an M Bison forming a sort of Deadly Alliance

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I can't see Smash planning reveals over what's typically a Western holiday--or any holidays for that matter. I think it's more what their analytics say the best time to reveal it would be, which isn't helpful in trying to predict it.

Trying to come up with alternative reveal schedules based on what we know... *crickets* Guess Skull Kid for Halloween it is. :chuckle:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If were lucky hopefully they do have a reveal next week if the October 18th date is true...

Otherwise at this point I'll expect we won't get anything until the last week of October or first week of November.

D

Deleted member

I can't see Smash planning reveals over what's typically a Western holiday--or any holidays for that matter. I think it's more what their analytics say the best time to reveal it would be, which isn't helpful in trying to predict it.

Trying to come up with alternative reveal schedules based on what we know... *crickets* Guess Skull Kid for Halloween it is. :chuckle:
It could happen, Japan also celebrates Halloween. If that wasn't the case, we wouldn't have Splatoon 2's Splatoween event, and that is saying A LOT, given how huge Splatoon is.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
User was warned for this post
Hello, I am sorry for the inactiveness again.

But...I'm sorry to say that, but I really don't have anything to discuss with you. I don't feel like I can pull off a discussion starter... Like, I feel like there is a huge drought of information about Smash and there's really nothing new to discuss about, wouldn't you say?

EDIT: I was warned here despite BEING clear and I wasnt spamming, the heck....

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
So, I was thinking about Rayman for a bit. How exactly would his hurtboxes work, looking at the area inbetween his hands and body? Or would it not matter at all?
It would't matter because that'd honestly be dumb, he probably would have invisible hitboxes where there would be limbs. Unless he charge punched and it flew across the stage, in which case, it should be a projectile and have no hitbox.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Just for fun, here is the distribution of characters by gender in Ultimate:

Male: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultbowser::ultdoc::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultroy::ultchrom::ultgnw::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultwario::ultsnake::ultike::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ulttoonlink::ultwolf::ultmegaman::ultlittlemac::ultpacman::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultcloud::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool:

Female: :ultsamus::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultlucina::ultzss::ultrosalina::ultpalutena::ultbayonetta::ultisabelle:

Both Genders: :ultpikachu::ulticeclimbers::ultpokemontrainer::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultmiifighters::ultrobin:ultcorrin::ultinkling:

Gender Unknown: :ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultlucario::ultgreninja:

Genderless: :ultdarksamus::ultmewtwo::ultrob:
Dark Samus is now referred to as female by the Smash team and Nintendo. So yeah, Dark Samus is our first female villain.

I do want to see a couple of more female characters. Elma, Impa, Dixie, and Edelgard are what come to mind.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Smash's hit- and hurtboxes are not precise. They don't have to be, and would arguably be less fun to play if they were, since, usually the camera is pulled much further back than a standard fighting game. The distance between Rayman's hand and body simply isn't great enough for most attacks in Smash to pass between them. He's the kind of character that would be phenomenal in a more traditional fighting game with more precise hurtboxes, but in Smash I see zero issue with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom