• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I mean that's 3 blows it's taken.

How many times we gonna readjust it?
But I've never heard "one song per series" being a rule until just now. Even if it was, it has no bearing on the relation to the potential characters.

It doesn't matter how many "blows" something takes, if it keeps getting back up then it doesn't mean anything. Nothing has completely KO'd it.

Again, trust me, I REALLY want music theory dead. But nothing has indicated that it is.

beans

Smash Lord
If Incineroar is revealed with a new Pokemon remix that'll just be salt in Music Theory's wound.
No, it would be the MK Brutality of the music theory
Its already dead but you can always go the extra mile

D

Deleted member

Not to be a party pooper, but, I don't exactly think this disproves music theory as much as it proves that the smash blog can have multiple tracks from the same franchise.

I don't even believe in the theory, but the music theory postulates that newcomers have music assigned to them that only gets released when they are announced, which has remained true for Ridley, KRool, and Simon.

The only thing that would theoretically break music theory would be something like a newcomer from a franchise that already has music on the blog (the most obvious being Incineroar)

(Or what Fenriraga Fenriraga already said.)
As Spinosaurus Spinosaurus said, the theory survived on there only being one track per franchise. Music Theory's whole purpose was to deconfirm potential newcomers, if a series can have more than one track, the theory is now purposeless.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Duh, doesn't his lack of an AT plus the whole adding-fan-requested-characters and "Heroes and villains" thing not convince you? I personally have no doubt that shadow is coming to this game. Sonic needs more reps, anyway.
I don't believe in the Heroes vs Villains theme. I think that only applied with K Rool. If anything, I think that Heroes vs Villains cinematic was only shown to conclude that all the major villains (after K Rool) were now in the game. They showed off all the main Nintendo villains and then showed off K Rool as the final main villain. At least that's how I see it.

Also, even if the Heroes vs Villains theme was real, I don't think it would really apply to Shadow, since he's third party. I think it only applies to Nintendo villains. So no, Shadow doesn't 100% absolutely have to be in because of this fan-made the Heroes vs Villains theme that the game supposedly has (even though the now debunked loz18 was promoting the idea for that theme).

I'm not trying to convince you that he's not gonna be in, I'm just saying don't take it as Gospel, because it's not guaranteed. For all we know, Knuckles could have replaced Shadow as the AT for the Sonic franchise.

As for the fan-requested characters, not every newcomer has to be a hugely requested character. I know Shadow was fairly high on requests, but I don't know if he's requested enough for Sakurai to put him in, and even if he is highly requested, it doesn't mean Sakurai has to put him in. If he thinks Sonic is good enough for the Sonic franchise, then so be it. Shadow could happen, but we don't know for sure yet.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well I mean technically a version of the music theory is still alive. Each newcomer should, in theory, still get a song.

It just means it can't be used to see who isn't in the game, so from a speculation standpoint it's useless. :p

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I gotta say, they updated the blog VERY early today, they occasionally update about 10 to 20 minutes early, but 50 minutes?
Don't want to say something is coming, but it is very odd.
Or maybe the interns messed up and uploaded it an hour early by accident :4pacman:

Untouch

Smash Master
But I've never heard "one song per series" being a rule until just now. Even if it was, it has no bearing on the relation to the potential characters.

It doesn't matter how many "blows" something takes, if it keeps getting back up then it doesn't mean anything. Nothing has completely KO'd it.

Again, trust me, I REALLY want music theory dead. But nothing has indicated that it is.
The whole theory was that series cannot get more than 1 song.
Fire Emblem has gotten more than 1 song.
That is all there was to the music theory, the "characters will get a song when revealed" was just an extension of this, now that Fire Emblem can get more than 1 song, so can Pokemon.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Yeah no.

Didn't Sakurai say in an interview that one of the composers really liked FE music, so that we'll be getting a lot of it? There's probably nothing more to it then that - we got two FE songs because there's a lot of FE songs. I really doubt we'll be getting more FE characters in the base roster, especially if they're unique.
oops, forgot the '/s' indicator

I'm not expecting any more FE characters, especially after Sakurai said that he thought it was overdone. Wouldn't mind some more FE assists though, like Azura as an assist version of Meloetta or something.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Music Theory still isn't dead, though? And this is from someone who REALLY wants Music Theory dead.

This honestly doesn't change anything, all it changes is series getting more than one upload is now possible. Which ultimately means nothing since the theory involves the series being given music and them not getting anything more beyond echoes, not the quantity of the music itself. Unless I'm missing something here?

Still, Purpose is great to hear as always. Now where's my Conquest remix? And I may strongly dislike Fates, but if Road Taken isn't in Smash I'll probably cry.
You just changed what the original meaning of Music Theory was. It was one track per series, and if a newcomer did not come with it, it deconfirms a character coming from that series. It was already changed once for echoes, and now we’re changing it again cause a series got a SECOND song?

It’s dead, dude.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Sakurai caught wind of Music Theory and wanted to shut it down.
Laugh at you, but with the ****ing Blog datamine, making the whole internet after the earthquake, and AC song being pushed because intern-kun is a baka who forgot to change 16 and 17's name. I wouldn't be surprised if after Isabelle said said "Okay, change of plan to keep the surprise!" and just ****ed up the music theory.

It's a tinfoil hypothesis, but something I can see-

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
The death of the music theory opens the possibilities for franchise characters who already had songs on the website, so if it hurts a bit to the theory of the box
I've never anticipated being able to pronounce the death of a box before now.
As a fighter for truth and justice I gotta say, this in no way impacts box theory. Just because the possibilities open up for more characters doesn't mean there will be.

Seriously music theory could have been true and box theory could be false. And vice versa. They in no way depended on one another.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Mimique says he's confident we're getting a new smash announcement this week, and he's confident that it will end up revealing Skull Kid as a fighter, and some info on Spirits mode. He originally said it was going to be today, but he now says it might actually be on Friday.
Skull Kid, huh? I had kinda given up on the idea of Skull Kid (or maybe I was never really all that convinced to begin with?), but I've wanted him since Melee, so I hope it's true.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
The whole theory was that series cannot get more than 1 song.
Fire Emblem has gotten more than 1 song.
That is all there was to the music theory, the "characters will get a song when revealed" was just an extension of this, now that Fire Emblem can get more than 1 song, so can Pokemon.
So can Mario, Zelda and Kirby. (Geno, Skull Kid and Bandana Waddle Dee anyone?)

D

Deleted member

There's a difference between smirking that you were right and gloating to annoy people. Cut it out.
Me right now
0a84b849-62ef-4ff0-92c0-5c96777edeae_2.png

Iridium

Smash Hero
Sakurai caught wind of Music Theory and wanted to shut it down.
One second, he was calmly sitting down, completing the game. Next, he went for a brutal Shadow Sneak, and ended another life, for the sake of everyone.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I didn't want to get in on this, but aren't theories as a whole dead when one part of it gets deconfirmed? Like a cycle not being a cycle because one part does not hold true? I think unless readjusted, whole theories could be shot down when just one thing is wrong.

D

Deleted member

I've never anticipated being able to pronounce the death of a box before now.
Honestly, the box (IMO, mind you) doesn't have any more factual evidence or any better chance at coming to fruition than Music Theory did or Blog Theory may. It, like the other theories, hinges on a very specific set of things happening, and if one of those things falls through, it's pretty much a domino effect from there.

All it takes is one more Echo with Ken. Just like all it took for Music Theory was one song from a franchise with one already posted.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I'm celebrating the death of the music theory *****es
So many arguments made in bad faith about a theory that should have been deconfirmed a LONG time ago.

Noipoi

Howdy!
As a fighter for truth and justice I gotta say, this in no way impacts box theory. Just because the possibilities open up for more characters doesn't mean there will be.

Seriously music theory could have been true and box theory could be false. And vice versa. The in no way depended on one another.
I know that, i'm just riding the hype of Music theory dying and I can't wait for the box to die too.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Also I'm glad we have an SFX-free version of the new Id~Purpose remix now. In Robin's gameplay video and Chrom's reveal trailer, it was half music, half [Elwind and Aether Noises].

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
No, it would be the MK Brutality of the music theory
Its already dead but you can always go the extra mile
If we're talking already dead, you're not going far enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WChHqaO5SeI

...Wow...

I mean I didn't really subscribe to the music theory, but still - makes sense that they'd only put up one song from each franchise. I guess this means we have more Fire Emblem newcomers coming... /s

Good, so Skull Kid's still alive now. Can't wait to see another theory explode. Hope we get that random trailer drop soon
And F-Zero and Kirby fans can actually hope for something again.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Yeah no.

Didn't Sakurai say in an interview that one of the composers really liked FE music, so that we'll be getting a lot of it? There's probably nothing more to it then that - we got two FE songs because there's a lot of FE songs. I really doubt we'll be getting more FE characters in the base roster, especially if they're unique.
Yeah he did

Noipoi

Howdy!
Honestly, the box (IMO, mind you) doesn't have any more factual evidence or any better chance at coming to fruition than Music Theory did or Blog Theory may. It, like the other theories, hinges on a very specific set of things happening, and if one of those things falls through, it's pretty much a domino effect from there.

All it takes is one more Echo with Ken. Just like all it took for Music Theory was one song from a franchise with one already posted.
Refer to this post, if you will.
I know that, i'm just riding the hype of Music theory dying and I can't wait for the box to die too.

D

Deleted member

Y'know what, I'm convinced at this point that we're probably never gonna get some actual fire music until the next Direct.

WHY Fire Emblem again? THERE WASNT EVEN CREATIVE LIBERTIES FOR **** SAKE. The music showcase has become ****ing lackluster lately, I swear. There probably isn't any new Xenoblade remixes at this point, I've kinda lost all hope.

I don't usually get THIS upset, but for franchises like Sonic or Xenoblade that desperately need fixing up on the music side of things, I'm genuinely frustrated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
You just changed what the original meaning of Music Theory. It was one track per series, and if a newcomer did not come with it, it deconfirms a character coming from that series. It was already changed once for echoes, and now we’re changing it again cause a series got a SECOND song?

It’s dead, dude.
I REALLY want to believe you, but I dunno, I'm still not seeing the connection. It could just be me mishearing what the theory is really about, but I dunno.

You can literally see the polygons on the Springs and the lighting is horrible. Unless they somehow decided to directly port Twinkle Park with no changes, that's... well, one of the many things wrong there.

Twinkle Park would be a kick ass stage, though.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Y'know what, I'm convinced at this point that we're probably never gonna get some actual fire music until the next Direct.

WHY Fire Emblem again? THERE WASNT EVEN CREATIVE LIBERTIES FOR **** SAKE. The music showcase has become ****ing lackluster lately, I swear. There probably isn't any new Xenoblade remixes at this point, I've kinda lost all hope.
That Steven remix tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom