• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
1) Adding lyrics to songs that aren't meant to have them is difficult.
2) Most of the people who do this aren't professional lyricists.
Yeah no crap. But lyrics like “oh what the heck” and “look at this ****” are uncreative. At least TRY to come up with a somewhat rhyme scheme or something. You can use the internet to do research on song writing.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I've never seen a person even take their Switch with them outside. Maybe for travels from point A to point B but to actually use it in between? :224:

Or the theory is wrong and we're all dumb.
Think it depends on if you use public transportation or travel long distances a lot.

I'd 100% take my Switch outside on a flight or on a long bus ride, but if I am outside by foot it is to do something other than game to begin with.

I do use handheld mode indoors when people want the TV at an inconvenient time, however.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

All Smash needs is a custom music feature and bam, problem solved. Screw copyright issues.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I've never seen a person even take their Switch with them outside. Maybe for travels from point A to point B but to actually use it in between? :224:
Personally, I’ve carried my Switch around quite a bit, mainly for rides in the car, yes, but also for times like to have as something to do while waiting for food while eating out, ect.

I’ve seen at least one other person take their Switch to college, ahaha, and I think I’ve seen someone else use one somewhere else, I haven’t seen anyone else use them outside other than those yet, though.

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman
I just want the Sonic Heroes theme to be in Ultimate. It’s the only song from a video game I care about just because of nostalgia

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
All Smash needs is a custom music feature and bam, problem solved. Screw copyright issues.
I want that feature so much. Nintendo has done it before with games like Excitetruck.
Just let me load up some MP3s on my SD card and assign them to stages.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm high-key considering bringing my Switch to work to play on my breaks. I did that with Smash 3DS for a while. I also think the iPod mode is cute, but I don't know how much I'd be able to use it since I don't normally carry a purse or tote or backpack or anything. Then again, this could be a good excuse to start wearing a backpack to work for my supplies...

Right now I borrow a roommate's Switch and generally speaking I play it in bed rather than docked because that's just where I'm most comfortable after a full shift. I play to chill!

Also a custom song feature would be AWESOME. Part of the reason Wipeout HD Fury became my favorite racing game of all time (well, until Wipeout Omega Collection but I'm not sure it counts) was because you could have custom music on all the tracks and I'd jam to my favorite soundtracks and albums all the time. Smash music is wonderful and I'd only add a few fun ones but to even have one-per-series or stage would be fun. Add them to your microSD card and they can show up in the normal rotation. I'd be down with that.

Custom music is the easiest way to get me to fall in love with a game.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Why is everyone so certain we’ll get something this week?
Mostly because of Japan's Youtube Playlist being updated for the characters last Monday. The past 2 times this has happened, we got a Direct (August) and Isabelle's trailer roughly 10 days after it was updated. The video(s) are hidden so we don't know if anything was added or if they added several videos with a timer. Additionally, the Smash website has removed the "new" label on the character tab, which usually happens a week or two before another reveal. It's all speculation though, but we are likely due for another news drop relatively soon, as we have gotten news every month or month and a half.

Okay how many dlc characters could Ultimate have?? smash 4 had 7
I'm going to say 10 Uniques. That will be hefty in itself and will take quite a long time to release them all, but I think the success of 4's DLC will cause them to support the game for years. We may get echoes as well, but 10 Uniques is what I'm thinking in the long run, and most of them will be for promotional purposes.

1st Parties
-Isaac- Recent retrademarking of Golden Sun leads me to believe another game is coming soon. Isaac (and Felix) will be used to promote this game.
-Rhythm Heaven- Read the above. Chorus Kids, Rhythm Girl, or Karate Joe as contenders
-Edelgard/Three Houses Rep- This one is entirely obvious, possibly could be our first DLC character. Perhaps one of the other protags will function as an echo
-Spring-Man- Obvious as well (Ribbon Girl as a likely Echo). I'd say this one will happen sooner rather than later.
-Elma or Rex- Xenoblade surely will receive a newcomer due to its recent spike in popularity and a game releasing recently. I'm torn between either tbh (I honestly want Reyn, but I digress). Malos as a Shulk echo could be possible.

3rd Parties
-Banjo and Kazooie- I hope this happens. If Minecraft is in, then I REALLY hope this happens.
-Heihachi/Yoshimitsu- Bamco lilkely will get another rep in the form of Tekken or Soul Calibur. If they promote Soul Calibur 6, Yoshimitsu is the way to go as he can rep both franchises.
-Lloyd- Wouldn't shock me if Bamco sold another DLC character, especially with Vesperia HD coming. Lloyd is by far the most popular tales character most Iconic.
-Sora- I feel like this is a given. Or at least it should be from Square. They probably will do a KH 1.5/2.5/2.8/3 release on Switch at some point, this would entirely be promotional.
-Dante- Promotional for DMC 5 just as SC6, KH3, Three Houses, ARMS, Xenoblade, and possible new Golden Sun and RH games could be as well. Sakurai has talked about going beyond Nintendo for guest fighters. I feel like he's one of the most staple.

Things of note:
-Substitute any of the 3rd parties with Rayman, Crash or Spyro (as all 3 have made their presence known now on Switch, especially their classic iterations). Hell, even Neku has a chance now considering his series is getting revived. Add whomever you think has better arguments.
-Substitute any of the 1st parties with other notable characters. Not everything has to be promotional, I just made it that way.
-This is me assuming Ken, Incineroar, and possibly Geno and/or Steve are base characters, with the possibility of Dixie, Shadow, Skull Kid, and BWD making it into base as well, so I didn't include them in DLC. No i don't expect all 8 of them to make it, but I expect about half.
-There are tons of other characters I could want, namely Porky, Masked Man, Kamek, Hades, etc, but I know their chances versus the above is probably small.

I just personally think DLC will be mostly promotional. My only bias is Banjo on that front, as he really doesn't have anything going for him in that department.

Last edited:

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
I don’t think we’ll be getting a Smash Direct this week but I bet we might get it sometime between Oct. 31st or Nov. 1st because it would be at least a month away and these two dates being on a Tuesday & Wednesday most Nintendo Directs come on those two days, unless it’s Pokemon.

Actually now I think about it a Pokémon Direct might be coming first maybe with the Let’s Go coming in a month from now.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I just want the Sonic Heroes theme to be in Ultimate. It’s the only song from a video game I care about just because of nostalgia
Pretty sure you're safe there. Sonic Heroes theme has been in the series since Brawl. (Hell, they used it for when Sonic was announced to return in Smash 4. Even though I kinda wish they had either used Reach for the Stars or Endless Possibilities since those were more apt titles to reference since I usually picture most Smash games to be a sort of celebration of the previous Nintendo console)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Here is a topic: Do you think Sakurai planned a substantial list of unique newcomers for Ultimate's first project plan like he did for Brawl and Smash 4, creating moveset concepts for every newcomer (aside from the Pokemon newcomer that is decided later), cutting down as time goes on if work on the newcomer goes unifinished (like what nearly happened with Bowser Jr., or the forbidden 7 that got cut due to Sonic and Susbpace Emissary)? Obviously veterans took priority over newcomers this time, as stated by Sakurai with it being his primary goal. Do you think he would take a different approach and only design less than 10 unique newcomers with moveset concepts in favor of veterans?

I think Sakurai has a lot of newcomer ideas he would like to implement, and I think he will development in the same approach as the previous two games. How big would the priority list actually is? Since Sakurai re-used the engine for Smash 4 to Ultimate to get all 58 characters back, character development priority list may been just focused on cut veterans and unique newcomers, which could open opportunities to develop and finish more unique newcomers Sakurai wants to implement than expected. Do you think the development of cut veterans would stand a major way against developing more unique newcomers? Or would they not intrude much because they already have a moveset developed for them?

Like, a few may have already been fully or half-way implemented previously in Smash 4's base game like Pokemon Trainer and Ice Climbers to easily port over for future reference (Like Ultimate), possibly cutting down the remaining work to just Snake, Wolf, Young Link, and Pichu. Sakurai might consider these veterans big enough work as a unique newcomer to cut down the full amount he could implement, possibly limiting the newcomer count from being able to finish 15+ unique newcomers to a measly 9-11 unique newcomers for Ultimate. For my stance on the matter, I do not think getting the remaining veterans will be a major obstacle. I think Sakurai will get a 100+ staff huge development team that will get him to implement all of his unique newcomer ideas.

That is assuming, a Subspace-like mode does not happen (Or if development for a story mode goes smoothly, fixing the mistakes that halted character development in Brawl to a large degree). Personally, I think the idea of Sakurai not at least planning 10+ unique newcomers for the project plan, with only planning a few is very unlikely, unless DLC is part of the original project plan that allows him to develop the remaining unique newcomer ideas, should game balance and the new big mode be considered major enough obstacles to Sakurai (alongside possible character development cuts due to time). Unless, Sakurai isn't thinking about DLC focusing on base game development before anything else. But what do you think?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Personally, I’ve carried my Switch around quite a bit, mainly for rides in the car, yes, but also for times like to have as something to do while waiting for food while eating out, ect.

I’ve seen at least one other person take their Switch to college, ahaha, and I think I’ve seen someone else use one somewhere else, I haven’t seen anyone else use them outside other than those yet, though.
My buddies took a Wii U to Knoxville for uni and they just play Smash 4 on it. I'm probably gonna bring my Switch with me to college, I don't trust anyone but myself with it.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Are there legal issues with allowing users to play custom music in games? Its something many games have done in the past.

I mean clearly you would have to disable the feature if you're streaming the game or uploading videos to the internet, but for personal use I don't think there'd be any issues.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Here is a topic: Do you think Sakurai planned a substantial list of unique newcomers for Ultimate's first project plan like he did for Brawl and Smash 4, creating moveset concepts for every newcomer (aside from the Pokemon newcomer that is decided later), cutting down as time goes on if work on the newcomer goes unifinished (like what nearly happened with Bowser Jr., or the forbidden 7 that got cut due to Sonic and Susbpace Emissary)? Obviously veterans took priority over newcomers this time, as stated by Sakurai with it being his primary goal. Do you think he would take a different approach and only design less than 10 unique newcomers with moveset concepts in favor of veterans?

I think Sakurai has a lot of newcomer ideas he would like to implement, and I think he will development in the same approach as the previous two games. How big would the priority list actually is? Since Sakurai re-used the engine for Smash 4 to Ultimate to get all 58 characters back, character development priority list may been just focused on cut veterans and unique newcomers, which could open opportunities to develop and finish more unique newcomers Sakurai wants to implement than expected. Do you think the development of cut veterans would stand a major way against developing more unique newcomers? Or would they not intrude much because they already have a moveset developed for them?

Like, a few may have already been fully or half-way implemented previously in Smash 4's base game like Pokemon Trainer and Ice Climbers to easily port over for future reference (Like Ultimate), possibly cutting down the remaining work to just Snake, Wolf, Young Link, and Pichu. Sakurai might consider these veterans big enough work as a unique newcomer to cut down the full amount he could implement, possibly limiting the newcomer count from being able to finish 15+ unique newcomers to a measly 9-11 unique newcomers for Ultimate. For my stance on the matter, I do not think getting the remaining veterans will be a major obstacle. I think Sakurai will get a 100+ staff huge development team that will get him to implement all of his unique newcomer ideas.

That is assuming, a Subspace-like mode does not happen (Or if development for a story mode goes smoothly, fixing the mistakes that halted character development in Brawl to a large degree). Personally, I think the idea of Sakurai not at least planning 10+ unique newcomers for the project plan, with only planning a few is very unlikely, unless DLC is part of the original project plan that allows him to develop the remaining unique newcomer ideas, should game balance and the new big mode be considered major enough obstacles to Sakurai (alongside possible character development cuts due to time). Unless, Sakurai isn't thinking about DLC focusing on base game development before anything else. But what do you think?
It's hard, to say, It's not his first rodeo... But he does seem to like ambition...
I don't know to be honest

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Are there legal issues with allowing users to play custom music in games? Its something many games have done in the past.
Yeah, because they modded the game, which Nintendo strictly doesn't like you doing. :p

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Yeah, because they modded the game, which Nintendo strictly doesn't like you doing. :p
I mean, if a custom music compatibility is included in the game as a feature, whats the issue?
Does it violate copyright laws to allow the player to import custom music? I don't see why it would.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
6 hours until it's 9am in Japan so that's the earliest we can expect an announcement.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

I honestly think he didn't this time. Like he has said in previous interview, his first and foremost priority was to get the previous 63 (65 with Lucina and D. Pit) veterans implemented in the game with the 100 stage count. I think in order to make fans of new characters happy, he's been putting in a lot of big fan-based requests, like the 5 main fighters we have gotten so far, as well as some popular echoes. We can't really say for sure when the roster was solidified (we only know that in Dec. 2015, their first proposal draft was done), but I assume it happened a little after realizing they were able to bring every character back.

I still think we have a few crowd pleasers coming aside from Ken and Incineroar.

I hope we get some of them soon lol, this wait is getting unbearable.

Untouch

Smash Master
I feel like "EVERYONE WAS HERE!" was planned since the start.
The ballot probably showed that some of the highest requested characters are veterans, I always saw Wolf, Snake and Ice Climbers score really high on fanpolls.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I think it's entirely possible for him to save unfinished unique newcomer ideas for the DLC phase of development, but since he has a huge staff like you said, plus only working on a single console cuts down more on development time, it's just as likely that he can get all his newcomer ideas in the base, and be able to focus on straggler popular requests and other odds and ends on the DLC period.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
10 songs for $10 is essentially $0.99 a song.

Which is what you'd pay when buying them from iTunes/Amazon Music.

Really though, it should probably be more like $7.00 for 10 songs.
Yeah that’s why I said $10 for 10 (and also cause I doubt music licensing is cheap), was basing it off of iTunes. Didn’t expect people to call me nuts for it. :/

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, if a custom music compatibility is included in the game as a feature, whats the issue?
When online, many IP holders don't like their content being used without permission. It's only barely allowed if it falls under a parody factor(and that depends heavily if the Abridged series does enough to have their own content).

Custom music is fine if offline. But once online, there's major legal issues. This is part of why Mii Fighters couldn't be used With Anyone as well. There was also balance factors, since they don't have a "set" moveset.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Does it violate copyright laws to allow the player to import custom music? I don't see why it would.
Do you want to live in a world where a fighting game gets in major heat for a new form of piracy?

D

Deleted member

When online, many IP holders don't like their content being used without permission. It's only barely allowed if it falls under a parody factor(and that depends heavily if the Abridged series does enough to have their own content).

Custom music is fine if offline. But once online, there's major legal issues. This is part of why Mii Fighters couldn't be used With Anyone as well. There was also balance factors, since they don't have a "set" moveset.
I still feel like that was terribly mishandled. The simplest solution would've been to allow their default moveset and only allow the preset Miis to be used. I'm still not quite sure why the dev team didn't do that.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Do you want to live in a world where a fighting game gets in major heat for a new form of piracy?
Excitetruck didn't cause any issues did it? You could also play music over a bunch of games on the original Xbox.
If its STRICTLY for personal use, I don't think having a custom music player would cause any issues at all.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I still feel like that was terribly mishandled. The simplest solution would've been to allow their default moveset and only allow the preset Miis to be used. I'm still not quite sure why the dev team didn't do that.
Well it was either that or let Hitler start showing up in online matches. I mean, it already happens in Mario Party, but I believe that was an additional concern with Miis. But the Switch's Mii creation seems to be a bit more primitive than before, so I don't think it'd be as much of an issue

EDIT: I meant Mario Kart I was talking about Mario Party somewhere else, oops

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Historically, Miis based on third party IP’s haven’t been an issue, so I’m going to go with it being based on the balance.

Examples of that are Mario Kart Wii / 7 / 8 / 8DX, Check Mii Out Channel, Wii Sports Resort (which can use random Miis from Check Mii Out Channel to replace NPC’s,) Miitopia downloading random Miis, Spotpass in Pokemon Rumble World, ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom