• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcad5

Smash Cadet
I've learned to take the day you expect a Direct announcement to happen, and add anywhere from a few days to a week for the actual announcement to happen.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I kind of doubt that Saki is gonna be a fighter...
Especially when two other Nintendo franchises are kinda in line first when it comes to representation...
They're Golden Sun and Rhythm Heaven in case you weren't aware...
You literally are trying to do everything to say that Rhythm Heaven is like-

While I do think that Isaac and an RH character are at the top when it comes to that, that doesn't mean that Saki couldn't have been planned alongside them.

Sakurai seems to have a connection with Sin and Punishment (as seen with KIU and how Saki apparently had fan demand during Brawl), so maybe this is the time where Sakurai decided to finally attempt to implement Saki?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Boy we’ve hit peak boredom haven’t we.
No, not really. I mean, the new Pokemon's out, Mario Party just came out a few days ago. I mean, of course Smash content is dry as hell, and that's a given. I kinda miss Scrumpy when he did those wacky Melee Mods.

Where did the melee mod makers go, they just kinda vanished didnt they?

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Well, we know that he had the idea of bringing back all the veterans from the beginning, and I think its likely he took their development time into account when he was making a shortlist for unique newcomers. So I wouldn't be surprised if the final shortlist for unique newcomers was around 10-20, with a mix or fan-favorites from the ballot, and some character picks of his own. This wouldn't include clone fighters of course, which I believe he likely had a separate shortlist for.

I give it that much range because I think it'd likely consist of our current unique newcomers, newcomers that didn't make it through development, and some low-priority leftover newcomers. The newcomers that went untouched during development could be potential DLC, as well as any specific newcomer choices he had pegged as DLC from the beginning.

Wouldn't be surprised if some of the newcomer picks that didn't make it through development ended up being made into some of the Assist Trophies we've seen, seeing as many Assist Trophies are even more player-like than before, with multiple attacks and even dodges. Makes sense knowing Sakurai, as he wouldn't want the effort to go to waste, but he's not the type to reserve content at launch and release it later. Although I'd kill for him to promote some Assist Trophies into playable characters through DLC.
Planning them only to make them Assist Trophies?

Now that is a possibility I have not thought of, it makes a bit of sense when you make the player-like connection.

But what would make Sakurai transition to move these concepts to Assist Trophies instead? I honestly think it would not be like Sakurai to scrap stuff in favor of making them ATs. And honestly, most of the new ATs with dodges and attacks like Alucard and Knuckles I feel were never planned playable to begin with. Not sure about Krystal, Bomberman, Zero, and Shovel Knight though if they have the ability to dodge, haven't paid much attention to their playstyle as an AT.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I still wonder if bringing Isaac in as playable was planned for 3DS/WiiU and for whatever reason it didn't happen.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
You literally are trying to do everything to say that Rhythm Heaven is like-

While I do think that Isaac and an RH character are at the top when it comes to that, that doesn't mean that Saki couldn't have been planned alongside them.

Sakurai seems to have a connection with Sin and Punishment (as seen with KIU and how Saki apparently had fan demand during Brawl), so maybe this is the time where Sakurai decided to finally attempt to implement Saki?
Sorry about my RH obsession.
but Yeah, i can see him being planned alongside them, Same with Shadow too.

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace

They didn't say "tune in" ambiguously like it was foreshadowing an announcement. They said "tune in to see which players rise to the top", which specifically meant "hey, come up to see who wins", not "hey, keep following for something special and secret uwu" or something.

well they just said exactly that so all aboard the hype train boyos :4pacman:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I still wonder if bringing Isaac in as playable was planned for 3DS/WiiU and for whatever reason it didn't happen.
I kinda doubt it. He might have been briefly considered though.
Remember Kids,
Being considered and being planned are two different things.

Being considered means that they were thought about, but decided against. Notable Examples:
James Bond and Ayumi Tachibana in Melee,
Villager, Miis, and Pac-Man in Brawl,
Chrom in 3DS & Wii U

Being planned means that they were intended to be in the game, but they never happened for one reason or another. Notable examples:
Bowser, Dedede, and Mewtwo in Smash 64
Dixie Kong in Brawl
Ice Climbers and a Rhythm Heaven Rep In Smash 3DS & Wii U

Remember the difference. It saves lives

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
No, not really. I mean, the new Pokemon's out, Mario Party just came out a few days ago. I mean, of course Smash content is dry as hell, and that's a given. I kinda miss Scrumpy when he did those wacky Melee Mods.

Where did the melee mod makers go, they just kinda vanished didnt they?
Super Mario Party had a great presentation to build up hype, but yikes at online only having mini games and only four small maps with nerfed mechanics from the old games.

Guess I have to accept Mario Party's simply pass my interest now.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Super Mario Party had a great presentation to build up hype, but yikes at online only having mini games and only four small maps with nerfed mechanics from the old games.

Guess I have to accept Mario Party's simply pass my interest now.
Nah, they just need to make an actually good Mario Party like the peak of the series mp6
I wonder if they'll go the Game Freak route of guaranteed profit and remake an older Mario Party, like 2 or 3.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If there were Golden Sun enemies in Smash 4's Smash Run like the Sneaky Spirit enemy from RH or leftover data of GS stuff, I might have been suspicious about him being planned.

But I do not think he was planned at all for that Smash game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Custom music is incredibly easy to implement, either restrict it to offline only(which games like Jojo All-Star Battle did) or make it so that during online, the song just isn't played in the opponent's console(which already happens in Wii U as the music is determined by your own My Musoc setting otherwise I wouldn't be listening to Jergingha Planet Destruction Form 100% of the time)

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Yeah the fact that overall there was just less GS content in the game and no enemies or anything that were added in Isaac’s place leads me to believe he wasn’t planned on being playable.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I creep back in as the hype train slows down to keep us calm and relaxed before we get shot by multiple reveals

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Let's play a game.

What will Smash characters dress as this Halloween?

I'll start: Ness is going as a ghost. Lucas is also going as a ghost but he cut too many eye holes in his sheet.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Let's play a game.

I'll start: Ness is going as a ghost. Lucas is also going as a ghost but he cut too many eye holes in his sheet.
Lucina dresses as Marth
Mario and Sonic dress as each other
Pac-Man also dresses up as a ghost.
Squirtle dresses up as one of the TMNT

Iridium

Smash Hero
Still betting on a late October/early November reveal. Maybe perhaps we might get multiple (like simply 2), but only if we don't just get a single final reveal (let's face it, it's likely we will get just one though). Time for me feels like it's going by fast though, and I know where to buy it.

Chrono.

I'm gonna go with "Isaac was cut because his AT was wonky af in certain stages."

Ray may have seen redundant with a bunch of shooty shoot ATs around, Saki being one of them.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

They didn't say "tune in" ambiguously like it was foreshadowing an announcement. They said "tune in to see which players rise to the top", which specifically meant "hey, come up to see who wins", not "hey, keep following for something special and secret uwu" or something.
Let me rephrase then...

The first interpretation of that tweet is that Nintendo is like bye it was fun peace, and from that inferring they won't announce anything. I'm just saying that you could also infer they are sticking around from the tune in.

Just saying their tweet doesn't have to read as no announcement, don't bother. I'm definitely not saying, OMG confirmed announcement tune in.

(I love the uwu tweet though lol)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

5 hours
Let's play a game.

Something something :ultness: skeleton named after a bad writing font

KMDP

Smash Legend
I kinda doubt it. He might have been briefly considered though.
Remember Kids,
Being considered and being planned are two different things.

Being considered means that they were thought about, but decided against. Notable Examples:
James Bond and Ayumi Tachibana in Melee,
Villager, Miis, and Pac-Man in Brawl,
Chrom in 3DS & Wii U

Being planned means that they were intended to be in the game, but they never happened for one reason or another. Notable examples:
Bowser, Dedede, and Mewtwo in Smash 64
Dixie Kong in Brawl
Ice Climbers and a Rhythm Heaven Rep In Smash 3DS & Wii U

Remember the difference. It saves lives
The thing about Isaac is that it's possible that what Sakurai wanted to do with him wasn't possible on the 3DS, just like the Ice Climbers.

Of course, unless Sakurai says anything to this effect, it's just that... a possibility.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
We shouldn't expect a Big House announcement in 5 hours, but we also shouldn't entirely rule it out.

We're all starved for news.

Let's just see how it goes.

D

Deleted member

I will tell you if you give me one time a tournament had actual Smash Bros. news in it
EVO announced the 8.8 Direct.

Big House most likely will not feature anything (I'm like 99% sure it won't), but there isn't anything saying it can't announce something. We won't know until something either does or does not happen, TBH.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
So what time should Big House end and we find out if there's any announcements?
I was pretty sure there wasn't going to be an announcement. EVO's on a much different scale, and it makes sense to have an announcement there. That being said, my feeling is this week. It's when everything seems to be converging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom