• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
EVO announced the 8.8 Direct.
EVO 2018 lol
I thought we kinda excluded the biggest event of all fighters that Smash was only a portion of compared to these tourneys that look like toddlers in comparison. Walked right into that one but I'm still gonna ask it because now you probably have nothing.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Let's play a game.

What will Smash characters dress as this Halloween?

I'll start: Ness is going as a ghost. Lucas is also going as a ghost but he cut too many eye holes in his sheet.
Diddy as a spider.
Wendy as a waitress.
Villager as a vampire.
Nana as a grim reaper.
Isabelle as a werewolf.
Jigglypuff as a witch.
Inkling as a squid.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Planning them only to make them Assist Trophies?

Now that is a possibility I have not thought of, it makes a bit of sense when you make the player-like connection.

But what would make Sakurai transition to move these concepts to Assist Trophies instead? I honestly think it would not be like Sakurai to scrap stuff in favor of making them ATs. And honestly, most of the new ATs with dodges and attacks like Alucard and Knuckles I feel were never planned playable to begin with. Not sure about Krystal, Bomberman, Zero, and Shovel Knight though if they have the ability to dodge, haven't paid much attention to their playstyle as an AT.
I can see it being a Melee-like situation. In Melee, Sakurai could either add one or maybe two new characters, or various clones to make the roster larger.

Only for Ultimate, I can see a few mid-priority newcomers partially through development already. Looking at the newcomer count, Sakurai may have opted to pause their development, and instead bloat the roster with clones to add more characters. From there, just use the original newcomers' assets to make them into Assist Trophies. That way, the characters are still in the game, and their efforts don't go to waste.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I thought we kinda excluded the biggest event of all fighters compared to these tourneys that look like toddlers in comparison. Walked right into that one but I'm still gonna ask it because now you probably have nothing.
Uh...yeah, you're right?

I don't know where in my post I said "yeah so when are we gonna find out the news coming for SURE at Big House"

I simply asked what time it was ending as I feel there's still some sort of potential for news at Big House.

Also, no, I didn't exclude that, because it's a tournament Smash Bros news was announced at.

Don't know what this "gotcha" card is for dude.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Let's play a game.

I'll start: Ness is going as a ghost. Lucas is also going as a ghost but he cut too many eye holes in his sheet.
Bayonetta would dress as Peach. Or Daisy, Fox or Link. Pick your poison.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'm gonna go with "Isaac was cut because his AT was wonky af in certain stages."

Ray may have seen redundant with a bunch of shooty shoot ATs around, Saki being one of them.
Also, *Sniff* Custom Robo's trademark expired....
The thing about Isaac is that it's possible that what Sakurai wanted to do with him wasn't possible on the 3DS, just like the Ice Climbers.

Of course, unless Sakurai says anything to this effect, it's just that... a possibility.
How would Isaac be a strain on the 3DS? I can't really think of anything that would be of trouble for him...
Besides, like everyone else mentioned, there probably would have been a Golden Sun Emblem in the data or a Smash Run enemy kinda like what happened to Rhythm Heaven.
Unless we hear anything further, I'm gonna say that Isaac probably wasn't planned for Smash 4

I will tell you if you give me one time a tournament had actual Smash Bros. news in it
EVO 2018
August Direct was announced there

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I thought we kinda excluded the biggest event of all fighters that Smash was only a portion of compared to these tourneys that look like toddlers in comparison. Walked right into that one but I'm still gonna ask it because now you probably have nothing.
A tournament is a tournament. Nintendo can announce anything anywhere they want, there really isn't any rule saying that can't. There isn't anything saying they will either.

We literally have to just wait and see.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I kinda doubt it. He might have been briefly considered though.
Remember Kids,
Being considered and being planned are two different things.

Being considered means that they were thought about, but decided against. Notable Examples:
James Bond and Ayumi Tachibana in Melee,
Villager, Miis, and Pac-Man in Brawl,
Chrom in 3DS & Wii U

Being planned means that they were intended to be in the game, but they never happened for one reason or another. Notable examples:
Bowser, Dedede, and Mewtwo in Smash 64
Dixie Kong in Brawl
Ice Climbers and a Rhythm Heaven Rep In Smash 3DS & Wii U

Remember the difference. It saves lives
So what you're saying is James Bond as a Snake echo confirmed.

:4pacman:

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Let's play a game.

Ike:

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Link goes as a werewolf.
Wolf goes as a grandma.
Charizard goes as a dragon-type.
Wario goes as Mr.Crabs.
Ganon goes around in his Pikachu onesie.
Chrom and Robin go as Batman and Robin.
Kirby doesn't go as anything, he's already a horrifying eldritch abomination.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I can see it being a Melee-like situation. In Melee, Sakurai could either add one or maybe two new characters, or various clones to make the roster larger.

Only for Ultimate, I can see a few mid-priority newcomers partially through development already. Looking at the newcomer count, Sakurai may have opted to pause their development, and instead bloat the roster with clones to add more characters. From there, just use the original newcomers' assets to make them into Assist Trophies. That way, the characters are still in the game, and their efforts don't go to waste.
I actually can't see the ATs we have as playable characters. Maybe Bomberman/Shovel Knight but wouldn't they negotiate the character's role with the third parties in the first place?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Let's play a game.

Mario as Luigi, Luigi as Mario.
Inkling as Callie or Marie.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

If Sakurai actually said this through an interview, I think it would get a lot of people pissed. :L

TBH, I am not sold on this possibility, there is still something about this kind of decision that is so un-Sakurai like to me.

I cannot put my finger on it.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

I think Sakurai's design philosophy has changed since then. He understands that, for a lot of people, clones are no substitute for fully unique fighters. That's why echoes are lower effort then Melee clones and don't get their own number, and also why characters like Isabelle and Wolf are barely even clones.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
No, it wasn't. Dude was cut because of obscurity alongside Ray.
I don't think obscurity has anything to do with it. Sable Prince was added as well as a variety of other odd characters as ATs that I've never even heard of in Nintendo's pocket. Kid Icarus was an extremely obscure property until Sakurai revived it, with Pit being a weird choice for Brawl.

I'm gonna go more with performance issues on the 3ds for why some of these ATs were cut. Helerin and Isaac create walls that were super janky or could great performance issues. Jill was glitchy as hell in brawl on some stages. Excitebikes were like 12 individual objects on the screen and would certainly slow down the 3ds version. Ray seemed super resource intensive as well (throwing missiles and bullets everywhere was pretty chaotic.)

So I don't think it had much to do with obscurity. There are many obscure properties and characters in Smash.

Also, *Sniff* Custom Robo's trademark expired....
TBF, I don't know if that means Nintendo can't use the character anymore. It was originally their own property, so him being an AT could still very well be possible.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
*walks into the smashboards bar*
I'll take the usual.
*Glass slides over...there is nothing in it.*
Perfect.

Oh boy, we could use something right now.

Also that Halloween question. Obviously Charizard would dress like Ridley and vice versa.

D

Deleted member

Let's play a game.

Yoshi goes as Boshi.

Zelda goes as a Phantom.

Samus goes as a Chozo.

Wario goes as this:

Arcad5

Smash Cadet
Let's play a game.

Captain Falcon as All Might
Zelda literally just goes as Sheik
Olimar as a Pokemon trainer, and the Pikmin as starters

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
Let's play a game.

Ridley goes as Mario, seeing as he already has his cap. Everyone is terrified.
King Dedede goes as King K. Rool, obviously.
Waluigi goes as a chair, sits against the wall, and cries.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Let's play a game.

Isabelle going as Mistress Death. Pichu going as Spiderman. Lol.

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
Let's play a game.

Mr. Game and Watch, Pac-Man, R.O.B., and Duck Hunt Duo go as the four Pac-Man ghosts.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
*Sees guest count*

Did anything big happened recently, that I'm not aware. We seem to be in a drought yet there are a lot of people here.

I wouldn't have seen half of the things the same if I wasn't here.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Reason we may end up with 79 characters (2 uniques, 3 echos left or 3 uniques, 2 echos) including echos is to fill in the last slot as a "?" random pick. At least that's what I'm thinking.

:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox:
:ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser:
:ulticeclimbers::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultdoc::ultpichu::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultlucina:
:ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultroy::ultchrom::ultgnw::ultmetaknight::ultpit:
:ultdarkpit::ultzss::ultwario::ultsnake::ultike::ultpokemontrainer::ultdiddy::ultlucas:
:ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultlucario::ultrob::ulttoonlink::ultwolf::ultvillager:
:ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultmiifighters::ultpalutena::ultpacman:
:ultrobin:ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta:
:ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool::ultisabelle: TBA TBA
TBA TBA TBA Random

Don't know just a thought is all...

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
Did anything big happened recently, that I'm not aware. We seem to be in a drought yet there are a lot of people here.
We all really want something to happen. In the grand scheme of things, though, it means nothing.

Sigh...

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
*Sees guest count*

My guess is that they're hoping something is announced at Big House.

KMDP

Smash Legend
How would Isaac be a strain on the 3DS? I can't really think of anything that would be of trouble for him...
Stage manipulation magic would be pretty tough for the 3DS, especially with 4 Isaacs running around.

Stuff like this...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
This will probably get me yelled at since people treat Assist Trophies on a higher regard but considering how Pokeball Pokemon come and go at seemingly random with every Smash game, What if Sakurai treats Assist Trophies more or less the same way? Some stay, some get upgraded to playable or get a different role, and some are just cut/replaced just because and Sakurai doesn't make a conscious effort to keep most of them like he does with the playable characters?

Just my two cents on that...

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Reason we may end up with 79 characters (2 uniques, 3 echos left or 3 uniques, 2 echos) including echos is to fill in the last slot as a "?" random pick. At least that's what I'm thinking.

:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox:
:ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser:
:ulticeclimbers::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultdoc::ultpichu::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultlucina:
:ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultroy::ultchrom::ultgnw::ultmetaknight::ultpit:
:ultdarkpit::ultzss::ultwario::ultsnake::ultike::ultpokemontrainer::ultdiddy::ultlucas:
:ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultlucario::ultrob::ulttoonlink::ultwolf::ultvillager:
:ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultmiifighters::ultpalutena::ultpacman:
:ultrobin:ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta:
:ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool::ultisabelle: TBA TBA
TBA TBA TBA Random

Don't know just a thought is all...
64 had 12
Melee had 26
Brawl had 39
4 had 58 (after dlc)
Doesn't really seems like Sakurai cares about rounding it out

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
*Sees guest count*

They are probably bored... That's how I found Smashboards...
It was the day the Direct got delayed. I was so bored that I decided to check out this "Smashboards". I was a Guest there for a couple of days until I finally joined. Smashboards has made droughts of Smash speculation more fun
I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case for other people...

Polan

Smash Lord

yeah that's dumb. apart from the huge waste of resources and time that cutting multiple newcomers would entail, sakurai is the type of dev that meticulously plans everything. no way he overestimates the amount of newcomers after years of working in the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom