• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

...why does Kirby have more characters than Pokemon?

Bandana Dee, Sylyx, Rex, Skull Kid, Edelgard and Gen 8 Pokemon are really weird choices in a reboot because the quality of their character (in terms of popularity and overall significance) is so much less than the characters you chose to cut.
Christ Almighty I can't win while trying to make fan made rosters for a Smash game XD! I was going for a reboot set after Ultimate, so hopefully those characters would be fitting picks given the timing.

Last edited by a moderator:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Forgot how appealing Isabelle and Simon are to hardcore Smash fans
Wait they aren't

Though they did have decent fan demand way back in 2015, they are no where NEAR K. Rool and Ridley.

This game is for the hardcore fans yes but I feel more people enjoy Steve then you think
Not really. There is a Microsoft owned character that would have more appeal, that being Banjo & Kazooie. They frequently place high on fan polls and Phil Spencer outright said that he's okay with having them in Smash.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Not really. There is a Microsoft owned character that would have more appeal, that being Banjo & Kazooie. They frequently place high on fan polls and Phil Spencer outright said that he's okay with having them in Smash.
Well, that's great, but either way Steve still has massive appeal to numerous quarters of the Smash fanbase.

Younger players can be hardcore fans too, and they may love Steve just as much as any B&K supporter loves B&K.
Adults with fond memories of Minecraft.

List goes on.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So a Mimikyu (my heart still aches) post without a mention of an announcement for next week.

Ok I'd say something announced at either Big House or NY Comic Con (forgot that was this weekend too...). If neither ... Then maybe we can expect a typical direct announcment next week? Otherwise it might be longer than we thought.
What is Big House, may I ask?

Noipoi

Howdy!
The date for the August direct (the one with these nerds :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool:) was revealed at EVO, three days before it was to release.
I could see a Smash Direct being announced at this Big house 8 thing, when is it again?

Last edited:

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Can you honest to god say B&K had a larger impact on gaming and are more iconic than Minecraft + Steve?

Because they didn't. I don't care how much you love B&K and hate Minecraft + Steve, but it's completely factual.

It'd make sense to go with Steve for the purpose of recognition rather than B&K for simple fan-service, which this game already has a lot of.

Potato_

Smash Lord
I am betting on a Sunday announcement for either Tuesday or Thursday.

Directs are usually announced a day or so before, so a Sunday announcement (Monday morning/afternoon in Japan) with a Tuesday Direct early in the morning in the west, exactly like what happened with the Simon one (except that was a Wednesday I believe? With the announcement on the Monday or Saturday before, something like that.)

Announcement at Big House? I doubt it, but hey crazier things have happened I guess.

Basically don't expect an announcement until then IMO.

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Hey I wanted to share something interesting here regarding Medusa and Cree Summer;

A while back I asked Cree on Twitter if there was anyway she could hint at playable Medusa.. she did like that post.

Now comes the fun part; a couple of days ago I asked pretty much the same, however this time she retweeted and liked my tweet within an hour and right away deleted the retweet and unliked.. this is certainly suspicious and sneaky in my eyes to say the least (like a hint is supposed to be). Last time she liked, now she did all this, possibly realizing a like wasn't enough. I don't know her thoughts, so maybe her intention at first was different, but to me this certainly looked like an attempt at a hint from her to me.

I have screens of the retweet (the like for some reason didn't appear in my twitter inbox but it did appear as a notification from the app itself on my phone, but I clicked on it before taking a screen).

Screens:

https://imgur.com/OGBTcp6

https://imgur.com/FFk4hWu

Disclaimer: doesn't confirm Medusa but it's very suspicious, in my eyes at least.
oh god
OH GOD
nutty sunshine.jpg

just confirm my snek baby already, Sakurai.
won't ask you for anything ever again

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So a Mimikyu (my heart still aches) post without a mention of an announcement for next week.

Ok I'd say something announced at either Big House or NY Comic Con (forgot that was this weekend too...). If neither ... Then maybe we can expect a typical direct announcment next week? Otherwise it might be longer than we thought.
The date for the August direct (the one with these nerds :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool:) was revealed at EVO, three days before it was to release.
I could see a Smash Direct being announced at this Big house 8 thing, when is it again?
Either that, or wait for something to happen around next Wednesday.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The Smash Ballot was also global, had around 1.8 million votes, and people were asking for Steve on Miiverse in the Smash 4 days.

If Steve had no presence on the ballot, I'd be extremely surprised. I expect a Creeper AT at the very least, and hopefully Banjo-Kazooie with a Spiral Mountain stage alongside Steve, the Creeper AT, and a "New World" stage at best (Minecraft stuff maybe as DLC to kick it down a notch Notch...that pun was not intentional lol).

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
God I need some news already, I'm so confused on what to expect when box theory is out there telling me only two characters left yet I sit here staring at all the signs pointing to Shadow and Elma.

I'll be keeping an eye on The Big House this weekend for the Direct announcement I suspect we're getting. Everything just lines up too well.

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
It's one of the biggest Smash tournament events in the competitive Smash scene.
I'm extremely doubtful there will be an announcement at Big House 8. Evo is on an entirely different level than any other smash tournament. There's a reason they announced a direct at Evo. If there's a direct next week, I expect a normal tweet to announce it.

D

Deleted member

I'm extremely doubtful there will be an announcement at Big House 8. Evo is on an entirely different level than any other smash tournament. There's a reason they announced a direct at Evo. If there's a direct next week, I expect a normal tweet to announce it.
So I am. The Big House dosen't seem like the kind of event to announce a character or some other information. But I'll be surprised if I'm proven otherwise.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not familiar with Big House, but is it comparable to EVO? For the past few years, at the very least, a bunch of fighting games have done major announcements at EVO, and the announcement of the Smash Direct was an extension of that. I don't know if the Big House gets the same kind of treatment from fighting game developers.

Shroob

Sup?
And then we all end up with egg on our face because there ends up being nothing coming at all, and the reason the playlist was touched was because someone noticed a typo.

/s

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Durnt

Smash Cadet
I sometimes forget Smash Bros is many things: a Cult, a Religion, a way of life, a bible, world hype sponge absorbing every lvl of hype until the universe implodes because it's uncontainable on certain lvls, more toxic than botox, etc. the list will continue even when we are gone.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm not familiar with Big House, but is it comparable to EVO? For the past few years, at the very least, a bunch of fighting games have done major announcements at EVO, and the announcement of the Smash Direct was an extension of that. I don't know if the Big House gets the same kind of treatment from fighting game developers.
I'm actually not sure, I literally just found out what Big House was tonight.
People say it's a big event so i'm wondering if something could be revealed.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Would it really be that surprising for an announcement at Big House 8? Ive never heard about it till now, but it’s a huge tournament connected to smash yes? Smash fans will most definitely be watching it. Once it ends, boom direct announcement. Social media will do the rest of the work for them.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I was looking through the Smash POTD to see how Sakurai announced directs/live stress in the past and man, were we spoiled with POTD.

They were slow for the first several months, but especially after E3 2014 every post was new info, either on a stage, AT, mode, item, custom move, you name it. The blog honestly really blows this time :/

D

Deleted member

I don't think we'll get an announcement. The Big House is an annual Smash only competitive tournament, and while a big event in the competitive community, doesn't strike me as the kind of event Nintendo would make an announcement at.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I was looking through the Smash POTD to see how Sakurai announced directs/live stress in the past and man, were we spoiled with POTD.

They were slow for the first several months, but especially after E3 2014 every post was new info, either on a stage, AT, mode, item, custom move, you name it. The blog honestly really blows this time :/
We get an amazing game, but in return the blog sucks.

A fair trade, in my opinion.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So I updated my reboot roster;
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:(Dixie Kong):ultlink::ultzelda:(Impa):ultganondorf:(Skull Kid):ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultdarksamus:(Sylux):ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:(Bandanna Waddle Dee):ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultgreninja:(Incineroar)(Popular Gen 8 Pokemon):ultmarth::ultike::ultcorrin:(Eldeguard):ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultshulk:(Elma) (Rex & Pyra):ultyoshi::ultfalcon::ultinkling:(Spring Man) (Ribbion Girl) :ultwario:(Waluigi) (Issac) (Chorus Kids):ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultlittlemac::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultsnake::ultcloud:(Ryu Hayabusa) (Sora) (Monster Hunter)

How is this compared to my previous one?
Needs more Crash Bandicoot, Roy, and Lucario /10

Solid for a reboot even though I’m disappointed with a few of the cuts so 8.8/10

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Big House is nowhere near EVO levels, but for Smash itself it's arguably one of the biggest of the year. Like you though, I still don't think it's direct-announcement worthy.

Is Ultimate going to have a demo booth at Big House?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I expect Nintendo or the Smash Bros. team to just announce it themselves, maybe on Monday.

edit: Or Sunday (Monday in Japan) on the Smash Bros. website.

Last edited:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
What is Big House, may I ask?
It is a Smash Bros Major Tournament that has been hosted since 2011. Both Melee and Smash 4 is in there. It is one of the biggest tournaments for both of them alongside GENESIS, EVO, Smash 'N' Splash, Smash Con, and Shine. Recently, there is a decline of entrants for the Big House, ESPECIALLY Smash 4 where it drop from around 500 to around 200 (mostly due to Ultimate). Still, it has tons of good and memorable moments in there. Recommend watching it if you were into competitive Smash like me!

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
It's this year October 5-7. I'm surprised you haven't heard about it.
I'm a huge Smash fan and I never heard of it...
Then again, I don't follow Competitive play
And then we all end up with egg on our face because there ends up being nothing coming at all, and the reason the playlist was touched was because someone noticed a typo.

/s
Wait? Did that just happen?
I expect Nintendo or the Smash Bros. team to just announce it themselves, maybe on Monday.
Yeah, me too. either that, or Monday...

Last edited:

Durnt

Smash Cadet
either way gonna assume this is the "ADVENTURE thing life essence crap." but wotevers can't wait till smash bros 6 where we see Master Universe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom