• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Hey guys, this is my reboot roster for Smash. Feel free to like, comment, and subscribe! :reverse:
Obi-Wan would be the toughest to unlock, because if you strike him down, he’ll become more powerful than you can possibly imagine and E.T. will have the ability to create holes for other characters to fall down repeatedly like in the Atari 2600 game. :p

Last edited:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Here's mine predicting
Revealed: Incineroar, Steve
Hidden: Ken, Shadow, Medusa, Isaac, Skull Kid, and Geno.

Last edited:

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
She loses pretty hard to Duck and Temple, which is a big deal. Thankfully, she beats Swanky Kong and Fire Flower, so she'll never be a truly irrelevant character. The big issue is why use Link's Grandma when Brawl Meta Knight does everything she does and more.
Whats the match-up like for marth vs marth vs marth vs marth vs marth, i plan on maining marth so this is important.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I feel like Agumon isn't a complete 0% chance character. There's a history with Nintendo for the character, and there's certainly a Pokemon vs. Digimon history that would be great to play off of. (Almost reminiscent of Mario vs. Sonic history).

I think Agumon has more of a "Smash" vibe than some of the other hyped Namco characters. So you never know. When I make my bingo card, i'll probably slip him in as one of my dark horse characters. However, I can't deny that not only does he have competition from a bunch of Namco characters ... but also competition overall. There are a lot more characters I think have a better chance over him.

Still, count me in as wanting him in! I'll throw an easy 95% want score right there ;)
Welcome!
Join us on the official topic for Agumon!

D

Deleted member

But Cool Spot does everything Brawl Meta Knights better, so what's the point in using him?
Excuse me? Did you just forget the extra 50 frames of lag Cool Spot has when grab released by the Marths? If you're not facing a Marth, Cool Spot is an upgrade over MK, but his Marth matchup is so bad that you need MK to cover that matchup.

Whats the match-up like for marth vs marth vs marth vs marth vs marth, i plan on maining marth so this is important.
The Marth with the lower port number always has the advantage due to how Shield Breaker works in this game.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Tigger doesn't have any alt colors or costumes, and only one player can pick him at a time, because the wonderful thing about Tiggers is that he's the only one.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
For anyone saying Big House not seeming "direct worthy", while I'd agree because I had never heard of it before unlike EVO (I don't follow competitive though...) I think it's important to note that it IS featured on the site, showing that Nintendo has it on their mind (it's also because Ultimate will be playable there). Could be nothing, but it's not like Nintendo isn't involved already.

Also NY Comic Con this weekend. Idk about that though...

Sakurai might be playing us. Remember when he said slowing down with character reveals a week ago? And now a new video is in the Japanese playlist.
Reminder - that article was supposed to be posted with the original video on September 6th so it would have been a month ago not a week.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Tigger doesn't have any alt colors or costumes, and only one player can pick him at a time, because the wonderful thing about Tiggers is that he's the only one.
Good thing too. Tigger is super oppressive in doubles. If you could have more than one Tigger, the doubles meta would be Tigger/Tigger or more rarely, Tigger/Cool Spot. All other characters would be irrelevant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
A Smash reboot without James Bond or Scrooge McDuck is hardly a Smash reboot at all!

Am I the only one who would be kinda cool with them being in but no other media characters because at the very least a DuckTales level would be kinda great

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Sakurai might be playing us. Remember when he said slowing down with character reveals a week ago? And now a new video is in the Japanese playlist.
He was pretty clear about all fighters being revealed. Slowing down on fighter reveals is relative.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
All characters are gonna be revealed before the game comes out, mate.
Agreed, which is why I don't believe a video's leak about a couple more characters being revealed AT launch after a predicted Direct that the leak is talking about. Here is what I mean.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
For anyone saying Big House not seeming "direct worthy", while I'd agree because I had never heard of it before unlike EVO (I don't follow competitive though...) I think it's important to note that it IS featured on the site, showing that Nintendo has it on their mind (it's also because Ultimate will be playable there). Could be nothing, but it's not like Nintendo isn't involved already.

Reminder - that article was supposed to be posted with the original video on September 6th so it would have been a month ago not a week.
Legitimate question: does Nintendo even do anything for NYCC? I thought they usually stuck to San Diego.

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
Good thing too. Tigger is super oppressive in doubles. If you could have more than one Tigger, the doubles meta would be Tigger/Tigger or more rarely, Tigger/Cool Spot. All other characters would be irrelevant.
Time for the hard-hitting questions, what does san's metagame look like and how does he match up with the rest of the roster?

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Very important point, regarding Big House.
Nintendo's clearly investing in it.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Legitimate question: does Nintendo even do anything for NYCC? I thought they usually stuck to San Diego.
IDK, but NYC and San Diego are the two big ones.

I honestly think we could see DLC being announced in November as the game would've gone gold by then.

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
Agreed, which is why I don't believe a video's leak about a couple more characters being revealed AT launch after a predicted Direct that the leak is talking about. Here is what I mean.

You really shouldn't believe anything this guy posts. He literally just finds bad 4-Chan leaks and makes carbon copy videos with clickbaity titles to get views.

D

Deleted member

Time for the hard-hitting questions, what does san's metagame look like and how does he match up with the rest of the roster?
Sans is currently ranked 55th out of 77 on the tier list. Sans possesses a strong aerial game with very useful aerial attacks, as well as effective tilts, effective throws, a projectile with great trapping and damage potential in PK Fire, a versatile projectile capable of very early KOs and mindgames in PK Thunder, and multiple powerful, reliable finishers (such as his back throw and back aerial). Sans is greatly hindered however, by his limited and easily disruptable recovery, the rather poor reach in most of his attacks, possessing a lackluster set of smash attacks, and by the 10 additional frames of lag he suffers when grab released, leaving him vulnerable to grab release followups from almost every character, as well as infinite and zero to death grab release chain grabs (most infamously from the Marths and Swanky Kong, but also N and Whispy Woods). Sans overall has poor matchups with several counters, and he has had average tournament results.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Since there are so many roster predictions that is mostly based off on the Box, what I want to create is the most wanted yet expected rosters while ignoring the Box theory.

So here is my predicted roster!

Newcomers:
69. Elma
70. Isaac
71. Geno/DQ Rep
72. Chorus Kids/Karate Joe
73. Incineroar/Decidueye (Wanted the latter more but the former is the most likely)
74. Banjo/Steve (I Like Both of Them and Either IS Fine)

- Sora is DLC in my eyes imo. I really love this character but SE and Disney can profit off of him more if he is DLC as many general audience will buy him.

Echoes:
  • Shadow (Sonic)
  • Ken (Ryu)
  • Impa (Sheik)
  • Felix (Isaac)
  • Black Shadow (Captain Falcon)
I've given my predictions before, but perhaps I'll give the reasons, both for want and why I think they're likely.

69. Incineroar - Not a wanted character, but I'm confident that Verge will be right, same for
60e. Ken
70. Isaac - I want a character from a new first party series other than Inkling, and Isaac's been well requested since Brawl, topping many of the polls
70e. Felix - Less certain about this, but if Isaac gets a standalone Robin/Lucina type reveal, I could see him coming with an echo, and it fits with villains/anti-heroes.
71. Banjo & Kazooie - My most wanted character since Melee/Brawl, and like Ridley/King K Rool has been long requested, but has been considered impossible. Now that we have reason to believe Microsoft's involved, it's possible. And Banjo tops the charts. Spencer's tweet in the 2015 ballot days acknowledged the possibility (genuine or not), and Microsoft has been using Banjo & Kazooie's N64 design this year, which I can't see as a Microsoft decision. I can see that as a Sakurai decision, though. And I just can't see Sakurai or Nintendo going to Microsoft in the first place, unless they had a character heavily associated with Smash in mind.
38e. Shadow - I'd enjoy Shadow, as I think with some chaos control elements, he could be an interesting echo. His assist has been MIA, Knuckles is now an assist, and has been a popularly requested character.
72. Geno - Like Ridley, King K Rool and Banjo, has been requested since Melee. So much so, he got a Mii costume with his own unique splash art. Verge says an SE rep is in the game, so I feel like Geno and the rest make a perfect roster for the Ultimate Smash game for fans.

There are other characters I would like. I think Dixie could be an interesting echo, but I just don't know when another echo could be reasonably revealed within the time we have, and there's not much evidence pointing to her. My second favorite is Crash, but his popularity gained momentum after 2015 with the N-Sane trilogy, and now that it's on the Switch, I think he's a likely DLC candidate. I really wish Elma could get in the base somehow, so with Rex & Pyra as potential DLC, all of Xenoblade Chronicles games could be represented in some way. And I'd love certain third party series being represented, such as Persona (Joker), Devil May Cry (Dante), and I think Sora fits perfectly in Smash, is much more likely than people think as representatives from Disney purportedly say they'd be on board, and makes sense as a DLC character if they decide to make Switch ports after Kingdom Hearts 3 releases.

As for stages:
104. Sun and Moon stage (with Incineroar)
105. Golden Sun stage (with Isaac)
106. Banjo-Kazooie stage (with Banjo & Kazooie)
107. Monster Hunter stage (with Rathalos assist)
108. Minecraft stage (with Creeper assist)

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Sans is currently ranked 55th out of 77 on the tier list. Sans possesses a strong aerial game with very useful aerial attacks, as well as effective tilts, effective throws, a projectile with great trapping and damage potential in PK Fire, a versatile projectile capable of very early KOs and mindgames in PK Thunder, and multiple powerful, reliable finishers (such as his back throw and back aerial). Sans is greatly hindered however, by his limited and easily disruptable recovery, the rather poor reach in most of his attacks, possessing a lackluster set of smash attacks, and by the 10 additional frames of lag he suffers when grab released, leaving him vulnerable to grab release followups from almost every character, as well as infinite and zero to death grab release chain grabs (most infamously from the Marths and Swanky Kong, but also N and Whispy Woods). Sans overall has poor matchups with several counters, and he has had average tournament results.
If you thought Gothitelle/Gardevoir was the peak of Tougon's brand, you're not gonna believe his newest masterpiece

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You really shouldn't believe anything this guy posts. He literally just finds bad 4-Chan leaks and makes carbon copy videos with clickbaity titles to get views.
I knew we talked sorta about a guy like that earlier, but I was not sure if it was this guy. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Heh heh! Joke's on you
That happens to me often enough. :ohwell:

Also, will Whispy Woods EVER get buffed? He's still lousy in the metagame and hasn't gotten any balance patches.

if only Nicalis could stop treating him cheap...
but if Quote getting in, gonna need a Curly echo fighter as a bonus :D
This guy gets it.

But seriously though, you'd think Cave Story would have been on the PS4 by now, this exclusitivity deal is getting ridiculous.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
At this point I think we’re getting 7 more characters.

Incineroar and Ken (Echo) are essentially locks. Geno is extremely likely, as is Shadow (Echo).

In my dreams the last 3 are Impa, best boi Bandanna Dee, and either Skull Kid or Banjo-Kazooie
Dream Predictions:
UNIQUE:
-Golisopod (But Incineroar is 98% percent likely and I am OK with that)
-Geno (The most likely SE Rep)
-Banjo & Kazooie (Much prefer them over Steve. 20th Anniversary mean anything?)
-Skull Kid (Zelda reps, we need a little more than triforce peeps)
ECHOES:
Shadow (Lord please, Sonic Rival)
Ken (He is the original echo...)
Ninten (Mother rep, combo of Ness and Lucas)
EDIT: Honorable Mention: Isaac (Seriously, this needs to happen)

Last edited:

potato69

Smash Apprentice
I hate those clickbait youtubers that report "leaks" for views so much. They're trying to get views by decieving smash fans who don't know any better, and it is actually working :ohwell:

D

Deleted member

Also, will Whispy Woods EVER get buffed? He's still lousy in the metagame and hasn't gotten any balance patches.
Oh please. Whispy mains at least got a speed buff on Apple Drop. Try being an Ezio main. Why is he the inferior echo of Desmond? In what universe does that make sense? He hasn't been touched by a patch ever and has never been good.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
No clue! But I'd venture to guess they'd have demos there at least.

But yea it's probably actually more likely to hear something at Big House lol

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Since there are so many roster predictions that is mostly based off on the Box, what I want to create is the most wanted yet expected rosters while ignoring the Box theory.

So here is my predicted roster!

Newcomers:
69. Elma
70. Isaac
71. Geno/DQ Rep
72. Chorus Kids/Karate Joe
73. Incineroar/Decidueye (Wanted the latter more but the former is the most likely)
74. Banjo/Steve (I Like Both of Them and Either IS Fine)

- Sora is DLC in my eyes imo. I really love this character but SE and Disney can profit off of him more if he is DLC as many general audience will buy him.

Echoes:
  • Shadow (Sonic)
  • Ken (Ryu)
  • Impa (Sheik)
  • Felix (Isaac)
  • Black Shadow (Captain Falcon)
About what I would expect if we were to discard everything before DLC?

69: Incineroar
70: Elma
71: Isaac
72: Geno
73: Banjo-Kazooie

11e: Black Shadow
32e: Black Knight
36e: Dixie Kong
38e: Shadow
60e: Ken

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
I'd say Incineror, Geno, Isaac, Banjo, Skull Kid are top choices for uniques. But my dream would be Tails. I think he deserves a spot, but he's never been high on the prediction scale for many.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Here's my predictions for Ultimate so far

-Incineroar
-Chorus Kids
-Geno
-Shadow (semi or echo)
-Skull Kid/Isaac

Echos
-Dixie
-Shadow (semi or echo)

Status