• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Y'know what makes me sad? To my knowledge, there's no Pokemon Mystery Dungeon content in Smash Bros.

Maybe Incineroar could come with a sick MD remix...? Nah, I guess that wouldn't make sense, as Gen 7 hasn't had a MD game yet.
And Gen 7 won't have one period unless a new Mystery dungeon comes out next year, which probably won't happen because next year is Gen 8 time.
It's sad, Ultra Space could've made for some cool dungeons.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Y'know what makes me sad? To my knowledge, there's no Pokemon Mystery Dungeon content in Smash Bros.

Maybe Incineroar could come with a sick MD remix...? Nah, I guess that wouldn't make sense, as Gen 7 hasn't had a MD game yet.
I'm hoping for a Mystery Dungeon for the Switch. Just imagine how beautiful it would look.

or an explorer's of sky port that would be awesome too

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Roy's design in Smash isn't canon either. It never was, as it was an interpretation by Sakurai from the start. He's somewhat of a Smash OC in a way.
Roy is such a weird case because he's himself in FE6.
But In Melee he was that Shonen protagonist.
Since then in the Awakening DLC Roy get his Smash personality
Then Smash 4 DLC appears.
He get a New design Tales-of ish.
IS now use his Smash Design (with just one detail being a longer black gloves) and personality in heroes and Phantom in Echoes.

Basically Roy is a Smash OC who slowly took over his own canon interpretation and the Smash Version is now the true version

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

It's a crime that Primal Dialga's Fight to the Finish from Explorers of the Sky still isn't in Smash Bros. Explorers of the Sky released almost a decade ago and still has some of the best music in the Pokémon series.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
That said, the character and Ness are intended to look almost identical. Mother 2 is basically an updated version of Mother 1 in almost every way. There's a few different characters/enemies, but the story and main characters, and even the final boss(Giygas/Giegue) are the same guy essentially.
I've heard that Itoi said something like it's up to the players' interpretation whether or not Ness is the same protagonist from the first game, but what get's me is that while the stories are basically the same at their core, the actual events that happen and the locations in their stories are different, which makes Ness being the same as Ninten seem impossible :S

I hope Sakurai see's the different PK moves as being good enough to warrant an inclusion also add Porky.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
IS now use his Smash Design (with just one detail being a longer black gloves) and personality in heroes and Phantom in Echoes.

Basically Roy is a Smash OC who slowly took over his own canon interpretation and the Smash Version is now the true version
Well the phantom gets justified because it uses his Smash Series amiibo but yeah, I still agree with your points. I think IS realized the real reason Roy is so popular, and that it isn't because of Binding Blade.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Can I get that pm as well? Of course something big happened when I was gone.

Did I miss anything else?
Posted another fan-poll from the Italian community for their Wanted newcomers that can give insight of a trends in Europe

Sora is first, Ray-man second, Banjo Third then Isaac, Rex-Pyra and Geno was eight.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Posted another fan-poll from the Italian community for their Wanted newcomers that can give insight of a trends in Europe

Sora is first, Ray-man second, Banjo Third then Isaac, Rex-Pyra and Geno was eight.
Impressive for Geno imo seeing as he was unknown in Europe until the VC release, I believe.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I didn't really like Wii U/ 3DS speculation.

Pre-Brawl was fine, and now is fine. Pre-Brawl was like the wild west. There were no rules, we created our own "fan rules".

Also flame war fights between support groups.

At a word, I could direct an army of Geno fans to swarm a thread

We didn't have "Rate their Chances". It was more about which character was more popular.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll take Shonen Roy over FE6 Roy any day because, man, I legit wanted to fall asleep with him when playing through that game.

Also, no, FEH still uses the "nice boring guy" personality for Roy but also lets him be a kid more since he isn't in the protagonist role so it ends up working out.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Impressive for Geno imo seeing as he was unknown in Europe until the VC release, I believe.
Yes and No as in Europe Geno is generally demanded mostly as a "bandwagon" style kind of pick ( without offense) that came from the "satisfied" Ridley and K.Rool fans.

But he still have his legit cult following and hardcore fans, However and it's still great to see him up-there in Italy!

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Yes and No as in Europe Geno is generally demanded mostly as a "bandwagon" style kind of pick ( without offense) that came from the "satisfied" Ridley and K.Rool fans.

But he still have his legit cult following and hardcore fans, However and it's still great to see him up-there in Italy!
Good work on Sora too bubby.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Shulk and Little Mac don't even come close to looking alike, so the comparison when that ESRB leak dropped never made sense. What's next, Richter being a photoshopped Ryu? Rosalina being a photoshopped Peach?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Shulk and Little Mac don't even come close to looking alike, so the comparison when that ESRB leak dropped never made sense. What's next, Richter being a photoshopped Ryu? Rosalina being a photoshopped Peach?
They faced the same direction though.

Don't question the meme.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Yes, but I believe that it reflects better on Sora more than anything. He has a surprising amount of fan poll presence that people seem to underestimate. Top 5 expected characters for Smash in a poll held by a massive Japanese magazine, 5th place in the most recent fan poll with the most votes from outside the Smash fanbase, 1st place for most wanted Italian pick (My people do me proud), second in the original Dengeki Smash poll (this one could be wrong as it's based off a post detailing a fake second fan poll), top 5 in this Japanese fan poll.

All of this leads me to believe that Sora did better in the ballot than Geno, and that response could be what gets him into the game as a character on the base roster.
Shulk actually did kinda look like Little Mac. Like, it was a large reach and I knew that it was a bull**** argument, but I could see the comparisons.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I question most of these rumor. You know, because I don't believe everything I see on the internet.

And thats the problem with the Smash community now. People mock others because they didn't believe a leak. They mock others because they dared to question something. "How dare you be skeptical about something. You must listen and believe." As I've said, there use to be a time where people were heavily skeptical of what others said. Even on Smashboards, post that actually had real information were doubted and were even deleted by the mods. Now, you have the exact opposite situation except now it's far more childish since everyone shuts their brains off and just except whatever is put on their plate. Look at where its gotten you all. You have YouTube channels that discuss every """leak""" with absolutely no merit to them just for click. You all think Skull Kid is definitely in because Bill made a tweet replying to someone else using an image from Majora's Mask. You guys buy into everything your told and you're critical of me because I say "You know, that could be wrong." All you've done is created a hotbed for fakers to come in and get their 15 minutes of fame.

And by the way, there is a link to my blog in my signature. Go to December/January. You know who I was writing about? Laura Dale and all the "leaks" she made. You know what happened? She was absolutely wrong. And who said she was wrong? I did. Despite everyone believing them. Despite almost every major game site hanging on her every word. If fact, I think I said it perfectly in that post

Sorry I'm not a good little sheeple.
There's a difference between being skeptical and being delusional.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I've heard that Itoi said something like it's up to the players' interpretation whether or not Ness is the same protagonist from the first game, but what get's me is that while the stories are basically the same at their core, the actual events that happen and the locations in their stories are different, which makes Ness being the same as Ninten seem impossible :S

I hope Sakurai see's the different PK moves as being good enough to warrant an inclusion also add Porky.
All Ninten even needs is some design differences. I'd prefer him more like Lucas, a clone/semi-clone, as otherwise it wouldn't justify a roster spot. Lucas having similarities to Ness means that a more Wolf-like character would make players happy. Lucas is more like Falco was, with a moveset that still very similar to Ness', but still had some decent differences. By Wolf, I mean one that shares a few moves but doesn't feel similar otherwise. You could also say that Lucas is closer to how Luigi is at this point. Still shares some roots, and still has many similarities, but plays differently in the end. Of course, there's no similar one to Luigi in that sense(Dr. Mario is practically in the same boat Luigi is in, still has roots tied to Mario, but has a lot of differences as is). Mario never had a Wolf-style clone(despite the fact they did use his model to create Ness... which is about as close to a Wolf-style as you can get, I guess?).

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
My post wasn't talking about the people who meme it but rather the people who I ironically believed Shulk was a photoshopped Little Mac.
Very good! I doubt a majority of people believed that, by the time I caught up with ESRB most people had come to terms with the fact it was real.

I do remember people saying Bowser Juneyah was a Diddy Kong mod from Brawl.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Yes, but I believe that it reflects better on Sora more than anything. He has a surprising amount of fan poll presence that people seem to underestimate. Top 5 expected characters for Smash in a poll held by a massive Japanese magazine, 5th place in the most recent fan poll with the most votes from outside the Smash fanbase, 1st place for most wanted Italian pick (My people do me proud), second in the original Dengeki Smash poll (this one could be wrong as it's based off a post detailing a fake second fan poll), top 5 in this Japanese fan poll.

All of this leads me to believe that Sora did better in the ballot than Geno, and that response could be what gets him into the game as a character on the base roster.

Shulk actually did kinda look like Little Mac. Like, it was a large reach and I knew that it was a bull**** argument, but I could see the comparisons.
My issue with this is that these polls all seem to take place in 2018. I can't help but think Sora's presence wasn't too big 3 years back.

But, shockingly, we'll know within the next 2 months.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
All Ninten even needs is some design differences. I'd prefer him more like Lucas, a clone/semi-clone, as otherwise it wouldn't justify a roster spot. Lucas having similarities to Ness means that a more Wolf-like character would make players happy. Lucas is more like Falco was, with a moveset that still very similar to Ness', but still had some decent differences. By Wolf, I mean one that shares a few moves but doesn't feel similar otherwise. You could also say that Lucas is closer to how Luigi is at this point. Still shares some roots, and still has many similarities, but plays differently in the end. Of course, there's no similar one to Luigi in that sense(Dr. Mario is practically in the same boat Luigi is in, still has roots tied to Mario, but has a lot of differences as is). Mario never had a Wolf-style clone(despite the fact they did use his model to create Ness... which is about as close to a Wolf-style as you can get, I guess?).
Yeah I can see him as a semi-clone, I was just hoping maybe they could give him some different moves like PK Beam and 4th-D Slip.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as actual foreshadowing goes, there is that note from Rodin in Bayonetta 2, asking Bayo if he can bring him to that "fight club" of hers next time, and sure enough, he's an AT now.

My E-penis is important for my self-esteem and for the pissing contest here.

I need to be right and all of you wrong.

I suspect that it might have something to do with Spike Chunsoft.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah I can see him as a semi-clone, I was just hoping maybe they could give him some different moves like PK Beam and 4th-D Slip.
Agreed. I guess it ultimately depends on what the development situation is like. Having all 3 protagonists would be neat. Giving him a design overhaul is cool, echo or otherwise. I could see an echo(if they change the overall design, which doesn't require a new model but more adding bits and pieces. Though that might be more work than I understand, so...) though as a possibility.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Seriously though:

>"Smash Fan Polls mean absolutely nothing!"
>K. Rool and Ridley Constantly top polls
>K. Rool and Ridley are playable in Ultimate
>"Smash Fan Polls mean absolutely nothing!"
>Banjo, Isaac, and Geno constantly top polls
>???

Just saying.
You're speaking my language, NSG.
yikes at smashchu being a white supremacist.
I... uh... What?

Okay, then.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
My issue with this is that these polls all seem to take place in 2018. I can't help but think Sora's presence wasn't too big 3 years back.

But, shockingly, we'll know within the next 2 months.
I feel like the fan presence has always been there, and we're beginning to see it more now. Regardless, we will find out soon. I'd bet that Sora will be in this game as a playable character, whether it be as base or DLC.
Do you mean "Beat It" as in "Go Away," or the other meaning...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Anytime someone mentiones Spike Chunsoft I think of Danganronpa and how hard I'd main monokuma
And then there's Shiren here.

61z3zj84wKL.jpg

I mean, regardless of "muh too many swordsmen", it'd be neat to have a samurai with a ferret in tow. I bet he didn't get much support, either...

I feel like the fan presence has always been there, and we're beginning to see it more now. Regardless, we will find out soon. I'd bet that Sora will be in this game as a playable character, whether it be as base or DLC.

Do you mean "Beat It" as in "Go Away," or the other meaning...
"Go away", as in "it's best not to get involved, it'll get ugly real fast", just about.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So does anyone know if perfect pivoting is still a thing in Ultimate? I slacked when it came to practicing a lot of the more technical stuff in Smash 4 so I never quite got consistent perfect pivoting down, but I plan on taking competitive Ultimate more seriously so if it's still a thing I might have to start practicing for it now.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
The DOJO was the absolute bomb. Dropping newcomers out of nowhere was absolute madness and I loved it.
Best parts we’re the specializing and discussions that’s happen daily overnight until a new update

Then everyone **** themselves when a newcomer is announced like Sonic

Man I miss those days

D

Deleted member

So I updated my reboot roster;
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:(Dixie Kong):ultlink::ultzelda:(Impa):ultganondorf:(Skull Kid):ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultdarksamus:(Sylux):ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:(Bandanna Waddle Dee):ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultgreninja:(Incineroar)(Popular Gen 8 Pokemon):ultmarth::ultike::ultcorrin:(Eldeguard):ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultshulk:(Elma) (Rex & Pyra):ultyoshi::ultfalcon::ultinkling:(Spring Man) (Ribbion Girl) :ultwario:(Waluigi) (Issac) (Chorus Kids):ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultlittlemac::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultsnake::ultcloud:(Ryu Hayabusa) (Sora) (Monster Hunter)

How is this compared to my previous one?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't really have a preference with Ninten being a semi-clone or an Echo, but I do hope they'll give Ninten a redesign, as that's probably my biggest gripe with the character. Playing like an existing character is one thing, but copying an existing character's appearance right down to the same clothes and hairstyle is bound to cause confusion. Don't know what they could do to fix that without straying too far from the original design, but I'm open to suggestions.

Either way, I think he'll need to be some sort of Ness/Lucas clone in order to get in Smash. I'd love to see more PSI moves from the series get represented in Smash, but I can't see Sakurai prioritizing EarthBound over the abundance of modern and active franchises. An Echo is probably his best and only shot at getting in.

Durnt

Smash Cadet
Yeah side b is PK Beam, up b is 4th-D Slip, down B can be PK Hypnosis, PK Brainshock or PK PowerShield as for neutral B im thinkin...... PK DefenseUp or PK OffenseUp (both can be charged to be applied to teammates.) yep that's what im seeing since he's is mainly support.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom