• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
If that were an option all along, can we cancel Dark Samus as a base install character and add it as later DLC with some unique moves, God, please?
I feel like the main aspect of echoes is body proportions, regardless if a character could make a unique fighter. Both Dark Samus and Dixie Kong would make a more interesting unique character than Isabelle (no hate, happy for the fans), but will either get the echo treatment or none at all. And if we don't have that many characters left as some people expect, only including Ken, the echoes we do have have been pretty disappointing compared to Shadow/Dixie/Impa.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
>When people think having noticeable differences precludes them from being an echo.
Yes, I'm still mad. :ultdarksamus:
Isabelle's announcement of being an unique character blew our minds with who is now Echo lmao

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The lesson we can take from this is that Sakurai is a fickle god and ultimately it is only he who decides whether a character shall be blessed with a unique moveset or cursed to retain another's for all eternity.

Roll the die and hope for the best.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
(and I think Impa has a higher chance than Medusa)
I honestly still give Medusa really good chances because of Sakurai Bias and if we take those Cree Summer tweets into account since that was how Shulk was hinted at in Sm4sh by his voice actor.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I think the only way shadow gets in is by being an echo of sonic, but I feel he has the potential for being a semi clone based on his chaos powers, and having a gun and bike. Like I mentioned before, Sakurai will look at him and say "oh that's black Sonic" and make him a very similar echo. But I'd be hyped beyond belief if he's a semi clone though I'd understand if the broader community would be salty over it. In my wildest dreams, Shadow would be a semi clone, but realistically I know he would be an echo
Well lots of characters have the potential to be unique or semi-clones. But the reason some characters are echoes is to save development time and make balancing easier. We have 70+ characters for the Smash team to work on. They need to cut corners with some.

Isabelle is not semi-clone because she was bursting with unique potential, but because she had completely different proportions from Villager and swinging an axe at people would probably clash with her image greatly. So I truly believe that if a character can be easily made into an echo, they probably will be.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Also, I don't see Dixie using Peanut Popguns and jetpack. There's nothing saying she couldn't, just that its not a notable thing she does. Why would her recovery move be Diddy's instead of her iconic Ponytail Lift? Be like if Tails got in and his Up Special is Sonic's Spring...:facepalm:
But if Chrom can have Ike’s Up B as a Roy echo... can Dixie have Donkey Kong’s up b as an echo of Diddy?

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
But if Chrom can have Ike’s Up B as a Roy echo... can Dixie have Donkey Kong’s up b as an echo of Diddy?
Why not? Donkey's Up B on Dixie (her's using her Ponytail of course) makes more sense then it did on Donkey Kong, spinning through the air like a godd&%^ helicopter.

Shroob

Sup?
So, just a quick tally but:

Does everyone more or less agree that the Ken leak is real? We haven't talked about it basically since it came out, and the general consensus seems to be "It's real".

Just curious, since we don't really talk about it(Not that there's much TO talk about)

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Does everyone more or less agree that the Ken leak is real? We haven't talked about it basically since it came out, and the general consensus seems to be "It's real".

Just curious, since we don't really talk about it(Not that there's much TO talk about)
I believe it's real.

Not like he's not an obvious pick for an echo anyway, thanks play-testers :troll:

Noipoi

Howdy!

I'm not sure if I 100% believe it, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I honestly still give Medusa really good chances because of Sakurai Bias and if we take those Cree Summer tweets into account since that was how Shulk was hinted at in Sm4sh by his voice actor.
Care to link said Cree Summer tweets?

At this point I’m dang near certain it’s real, as every attempt to disprove it only fed its authenticity. I just hope Shadow will be revealed alongside him.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace

I personally believe it's obviously real, but understand why others have their reservations.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484

Ugh. I'm "I don't care until its proven true", so I guess I don't believe it? Not because I do or don't want it to be, just cause I hate chasing "leaks". Sun and Moon's pre-release was it for me.

I'll read leaks and rumored spoilers, but everything I take with a plate of salt.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I'm not sure if Cree Summer liking the posts means much--there's precedent, but it's tenuous. Whereas we do know Sakurai's using fan requests, particularly for echoes, and I haven't seen Medusa on the charts, and the Kid Icarus character I have seen is Viridi (who from what I hear, would not make for an echo).

All that having been said, we have to be careful of using poll results to determine what was on the ballot. Dark Samus was (apparently) high on the ballot despite not making much headway in the polls. And the only poll I found with Medusa had her around the same as Chrom (however, it's a 2018 poll). So, it's certainly possible, but since the polls are the only real data we have, I feel like Impa has the advantage. Still, given we may have fewer echoes than we thought, I don't think either's chances are that high any more, which is a shame because I'd like them both.

EDIT:

I don't think we talk about it that much because of the "we pretty much knew anyway" factor :rotfl:

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm not sure if Cree Summer liking the posts means much--there's precedent, but it's tenuous. Whereas we do know Sakurai's using fan requests, particularly for echoes, and I haven't seen Medusa on the charts, and the Kid Icarus character I have seen is Viridi (who from what I hear, would not make for an echo).

All that having been said, we have to be careful of using poll results to determine what was on the ballot. Dark Samus was (apparently) high on the ballot despite not making much headway in the polls. And the only poll I found with Medusa had her around the same as Chrom (however, it's a 2018 poll). So, it's certainly possible, but since the polls are the only real data we have, I feel like Impa has the advantage. Still, given we may have fewer echoes than we thought, I don't think either's chances are that high any more, which is a shame because I'd like them both.
Still gonna pull out hope. If not Base there's always DLC.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

All evidence points to it being true, so I just accept it as such.
Worst case scenario is I get exactly what I expected and best case scenario, I am pleasantly surprised.

Either way, I guess I'm thankful the speculation is dying down and now we're just discussing things over scrutinizing dozens of leaks.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I’m curious on which custom moves were chosen for the Miis and if Palutena gets to use Heavenly Light somewhere in her specials...that and Lighweight will be missed otherwise

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
My personal consensus is that the Ken leak is boring because its extremely likely that Ken is in anyways.
I think everyone just learned their lesson from the ESRB leak 4 years ago. Everyone sure got hit hard after that Shulk reveal and all those threads and users were locked/sent away for nothing.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I heard Medusa talk. Now my interest peaks. :ultpit:
I'm just waiting for the moment for whenever she and/or Phosphora are announced playable.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
You didn't know that? I instantly knew it was Cree Summers the moment I heard her speak...
We all have blindspots.

Again, I'm the guy that saw the trailer with a CASTLE full of HORROR MONSTERS and didn't think Castlevania until Death showed up (I guessed Kid Icarus cause of the Medusa Head, and even Resident Evil, like wth is my brain even?)

RandomAce

Smash Champion

That’s why we don’t talk about the leak anymore.

*Everyone* is in agreement that it’s most likely real after learning from the ESRB, and there isn’t much left to discuss. I mean we have Ken now, but that’s been talked to death before.

Aside from that, for DLC...

Rex and Pyra and Spring Man/Ribbin Girl (E) are very likely to be our first 2 DLC Newcomers, and I’ll pay for them honestly. If you want to go through DLC speculation, you have that to look forward to.

For my DLC want. I think I’ll go with Edelgard. Yeah it’s another Fire Emblem character, but she does wield an axe, which is something we haven’t seen, and it looks like she’ll be awesome honestly. Plus, if you think the FE size is a problem just merge the echoes and you get just 6, same as last time :p.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

I don't necessarily believe it because it uses Ken's original design. Since Ryu was updated to match his SFV appearence, I'd imagine that they'd do the same for Mr. Masters.

If it is real, however, if they don't include Rufus as an assist who just runs around and beats up players of blonde and/or hand-to-hand fighters (preferably in red clothes), it'll be a missed opportunity that I'd be mad about.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I think everyone just learned their lesson from the ESRB leak 4 years ago. Everyone sure got hit hard after that Shulk reveal and all those threads and users were locked/sent away for nothing.
One of the darkest times of our lives on this site's history

I think I recall the leak for the final roster came out in August 2014 and everyone was going fake?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Guys! I came up with a new theory!

You know how we see Castlevania's Medusa on Dracula's Castle?

#Medusaconfirmed4Smash

It's a hint I tell you! A hint!

P.S.: This is sarcasm.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I heard Medusa talk. Now my interest peaks. :ultpit:
I'm just waiting for the moment for whenever she and/or Phosphora are announced playable.
Oh yeah, Phosphora hasn't had her assist trophy shown yet, hasn't she?
One of the darkest times of our lives on this site's history

I think I recall the leak for the final roster came out in August 2014 and everyone was going fake?
Yup, "Disablad"
Question: Do you think we'll have another ballot?
Probably not, though I would love another one...
Yup, I'm a believer

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't necessarily believe it because it uses Ken's original design. Since Ryu was updated to match his SFV appearence, I'd imagine that they'd do the same for Mr. Masters.
SFV Ryu still looks like the classic design people are used to. SFV Ken does not.

Last edited:

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199

100% real to be sure, every attempt to prove it that it was fake failed which made it grows legit every time.

I remember that some people pointed that pichu's size is too big, but it was matched when you checked the pichu's size in other screenshots. I hope that "pichu is too big!" as our next "shulk is just photoshopped little mac" meme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom