• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I love going to that site and seeing what else i need to buy. Shame it is broken last time i checked.
Luckily they have self-published books covering their articles.

I sincerely want the next Direct to just be announced already, because I'm ****ing ready not so much for salt, but for the "endgame" for speculation pre-release. Speculating is fun and all, but I'm ready to get hyped for the hype cycle to hit max.
No kidding, I'm getting rather tired of having only 2/3rds of my sig being viewable by people. Where's the damn reveals?

Roberk

Smash Champion
Really bad pattern theory: Smash Direct edition

A Smash Direct before release is obvious, there's still quite a bit that we don't know about the game (biggest being Spirits, along with other modes) and last Smash Direct said that the new mode would be talked about "later". Seeing as we got the E3 presentation on June 12, and the August Direct on August 8, I believe if there is a Smash Direct in October then it will be in the following two weeks. This would be the finale, the info blowout, for Smash, and Nintendo would have the following ~2 months to fully market the game without worries of leaks since we already know everything.

For characters in the Direct, I'd say 3 max, a mix of Echoes and Uniques. I won't let the stellar August Direct raise my expectations too much, so the 3 is just a slight increase from my August prediction of 2.

Spirits mode will be talked about, and it will likely be this game's "not Smash" mode. (Adventure Mode, Subspace, Smash Tour, Smash Run, etc.)

Any miscellaneous stuff like the few Assist Trophies and Items we haven't seen yet will likely all be covered, and we might even get a stage or two.

After Isabelle, Vergeben, and the Box, Smash speculation has really started to slow down to the endgame. I feel like I don't just speak for myself when I say that I'm feeling a bit burnt out, and at this point, the only thing I want to anticipate is the game itself. Hopefully, this final announcement comes soon.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
lmao, I think the ship has already sailed on spoiling Sheik's identity, Smash. In fact you've been pretty much captain of that ship for the last 17 years...

;P
Between this, calling Dark Samus an it, and Duck Hunt a duo, I'm now sure the blog is either ran by a poor unpaid intern, or a sadistic Nintendo employee who relishes in watching forums burn as they tear each other apart over common debates.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
Y'know I have to wonder.
How much stuff does she actually take from Ocarina of Time and isn't entirely Smash original?

I'm trying to rack my mind for references Sheik and the Sheikah clan in general do, but all I can think of is her using that deku nut to teleport elsewhere. Everything else seems to be "stuff ninjas do."
Honestly? Not much. She legit does nothing in OoT but play the harp and act mysterious. The deku nut thing is kind of her up B? Different animation and sound but same idea.

She's absent in pretty much everything else, so they had to make everything from scratch.

Y

In fairness, we actually have two completely different Zeldas this time.
Actually a really good point that I didn't consider until now. It does make sense this time around.

Think they’ll fix it? Or for the easy way out use gender-neutral pronouns like they/their for Sheik?

My money’s on a revision
Wouldn't be surprised if they left it. But I could also see them changing it.

Either way I can't wait to see the old theories for both sides pop up again despite the fact that we basically have a canon answer already.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If we aren't getting this, I will start questioning the very existence of mankind:
Metroidvania:
Character: :ultsimon:
Assist: :ultrichter:
Enemies: :ultsamus::ultridley:
Stage: Dracula's Castle
In-game goal: "It seems as though the Belmonts have just been cursed with eliminating new types of oddly familiar monsters..."

This. You've got my approval.
Samus makes way more sense as a playable character than an enemy...now Dark Samus would make more sense

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Here's a thing. Say we do get 108 stages. The last 5 stages are all from new series and they all get characters with them. What and who are they?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Between this, calling Dark Samus a girl, and Duck Hunt a duo, I'm now sure the blog is either ran by a poor unpaid intern, or a sadistic Nintendo employee who relishes in watching forums burn as they tear each other apart over common debates.
Like I've said many times, the interns have no training at all. I still wonder how in the hell they manage to consistently post songs on Tuesdays.

At least they didn't use "xe" like in Gunvolt, that was a travesty.

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
Here's a thing. Say we do get 108 stages. The last 5 stages are all from new series and they all get characters with them. What and who are they?
Minecraft stage no character
Xenoblade x stage with elma
Rythym heaven stage with character
Kingdom hearts stage with sora
Some other new franchise sith new character

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I mean, reptile abuse clearly makes :ultsamus: a monster. I know, :ultridley: killed her parents and all, but that's not a valid reason to go after him in order to try killing him, right?
That is literally a completely valid reason to go after and try to kill Ridley (payback is meant to be a cold blooded *****)
I know, but having :ultdarksamus: instead of :ultsamus: kinda lessens the impact of a Metroidvania crossover event. Actually I'll just edit my OP to add :ultdarksamus: as an enemy.
That is much better

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
What do you think of my prediction?

Unique:
69: Incineroar
70: Banjo or Steve
71: Elma
72: Geno

Echos:
36e: Dixie Kong
38e: Shadow
54e: Medusa
60e: Ken

Rounds out to 80 fighters (Pokemon Trainer and Miis are counted as one). Seems like a good balance honestly.
Similar to my predictions, though Isabelle's reveal made me think echoes aren't going to be as likely as we'd think (and I think Impa has a higher chance than Medusa). Also, for me it's between Elma and Isaac. I feel like the evidence for Elma is lacking, even though I hope Elma makes the base--that way, with Rex & Pyra as DLC, all Xenoblade Chronicles games would be represented. However, I'd much prefer a first party newcomer from a new series, such as Isaac, as all we have is Splatoon. And you know my choice for 70 :p

My optimistic predictions are:
70: Isaac
70e: Felix
71: Banjo & Kazooie

In my predictions, Incineroar is revealed in a hypothetical Pokemon Direct, and Isaac/Felix in a standalone announcement (similar to Robin/Lucina) in October. Then a November Direct with Banjo & Kazooie opening, the third party echoes, and ending on Geno. I still want Dixie, as I feel like her presence would be missing with echoes, but I can't see a realistic timeline where she'd be revealed since it wasn't in the Nintendo Direct. But it's becoming harder and harder with the time we have left.

Untouch

Smash Master
Wouldn't be the first time the blog has messed this up before, they called Dark Samus an "it" even though she's called "she" in the games, and Metroid Prime is called a girl as well.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Similar to my predictions, though Isabelle's reveal made me think echoes aren't going to be as likely as we'd think (and I think Impa has a higher chance than Medusa). Also, for me it's between Elma and Isaac. I feel like the evidence for Elma is lacking, even though I hope Elma makes the base--that way, with Rex & Pyra as DLC, all Xenoblade Chronicles games would be represented. However, I'd much prefer a first party newcomer from a new series, such as Isaac, as all we have is Splatoon. And you know my choice for 70 :p

My optimistic predictions are:
70: Isaac
70e: Felix
71: Banjo & Kazooie

In my predictions, Incineroar is revealed in a hypothetical Pokemon Direct, and Isaac/Felix in a standalone announcement (similar to Robin/Lucina) in October. Then a November Direct with Banjo & Kazooie opening, the third party echoes, and ending on Geno. I still want Dixie, as I feel like her presence would be missing with echoes, but I can't see a realistic timeline where she'd be revealed since it wasn't in the Nintendo Direct. But it's becoming harder and harder with the time we have left.
I'm feeling that Dixie might be dlc, echo treatment wouldn't be enough for her she has to be a semi clone at least to her to be in character from my point of view.

Shroob

Sup?
Im 90% sure the rest will be this

Unique

Incineroar/pokemon rep (I heard the incineroar is only one source however Vergeben doubled down)
Steve or banjo (banjo is 90% chance for dlc if not base in my opinion)
Geno (I just can’t see the square rep not being geno and Sakurai wants him in)
Skull kid or Isaac (neither might not be base so dlc very likely but skull kid is missing in action so far)

Echos
Ken (the leak picture pretty much locked him at this point but could be Palutena leak all over again.)
Shadow the hedgehog
Black knight (dlc if not base)

Dlc
The rest of the gens filled in for pokemon (this includes the upcoming 8)
Banjo if not base
Sylux to promote Metroid prime 4 if he really is the main villain (heck maybe the other hunters from prime hunters for echos or alts like bowser jr got)
Heihachi
Isaac if not base
Skull kid if not base
Spring man
If Isabelle is too different in shape and size for Villager, there is no way in hell Black Knight can be an Echo of Ike.

The armor itself gives him a way larger shape than Ike to begin with.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm feeling that Dixie might be dlc, echo treatment wouldn't be enough for her she has to be a semi clone at least to her to be in character from my point of view.
:ultdarksamus: and then this thing happened and ruined that entire statement :ultdarksamus:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
If that were an option all along, can we cancel Dark Samus as a base install character and add it as later DLC with some unique moves, God, please?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Sheik's also called male on the site in other regions as well... I saw the German one, and it seems that way in Spanish and French too. But Dutch is awkwardly covering it up by not using pronouns.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To be fair, this Sheik could for all we know be a "he".

Different from the Zelda in Ultimate, after all. :V

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If that were an option all along, can we cancel Dark Samus as a base install character and add it as later DLC with some unique moves, God, please?
If there's one thing you can expect out of Sakurai, it's that he's one stubborn man who sticks to his guns.

If there's one thing I can expect never to see in Smash, it's a top-to-bottom character revamp.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Other way around, Dark Samus is referred to as "it" in the games, and the blog reffered to it as "she".
It's the other way around, the blog called Dark Samus an it, but the MP2 and 3 logs pretty consistently refer to her using female pronouns. For example:

Scans indicate the presence of Phazon and your genetic material within this entity. She wears a version of the Varia Suit, altered and augmented by the Phazon within her. Primary weapons include the Missile Launcher and a scattershot version of the Power Beam. Boost and Jump abilities are superior to yours. The ability to generate Phazon energy shields is also present.
Scans indicate that Dark Samus has absorbed tremendous levels of Phazon into her body: too much, perhaps. She can vent Phazon energy in the form of destructive blasts and protective shields: doing so will help her maintain stability. Exposure to Phazon has rendered her invisible to the Dark Visor. These new abilities, combined with her already formidable arsenal, place Dark Samus at the highest threat level.
Target is composed of pure Phazon energy and is highly unstable. Scans indicate that Hypermode attacks are capable of disrupting her, likely a result of Hypermode being energized by Samus's body. Dark Samus is capable of generating "echoes" of herself to aid her in battle. These units are used as increased firepower and act as distractions while she replenishes her energy; they should be destroyed immediately. She is capable of absorbing energy from Phaaze to replenish her own.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
:ultdarksamus: and then this thing happened and ruined that entire statement :ultdarksamus:
Dark Samus probably should have been a bit more unique as well(they probably thought they could probably get away with it since they have the same body type) but the thing is with Dixie that she actually can't emulate Dk's up b that easily since the body designs are too different from each other, she doesn't do cartwheels and her ponytail shouldn't be ignored plus we don't know if Diddy actually has no tail attacks since his new jab combo could have multiple functions like Falcon's gentlemen jab.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Like I've said many times, the interns have no training at all. I still wonder how in the hell they manage to consistently post songs on Tuesdays.

At least they didn't use "xe" like in Gunvolt, that was a travesty.
Is Zonda even actually bigender? I feel like that was a localization exclusive thing

And when in doubt, “they” pronouns work just fine just sayin

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Dark Samus probably should have been a bit more unique as well(they probably thought they could probably get away with it since they have the same body type) but the thing is with Dixie that she actually can't emulate Dk's up b that easily since the body designs are too different from each other, she doesn't do cartwheels and her ponytail shouldn't be ignored plus we don't know if Diddy actually has no tail attacks since his new jab combo could have multiple functions like Falcon's gentlemen jab.
Chrom couldn't emulate Ike's Aether that well. What did they do? They adjusted it so it would suit him.
Dark Samus doesn't have missiles and bombs, but Sakurai gave them to her anyway.

I don't see why the same thing can't happen just because it's not right to you. It wasn't right to us when we got struck with it, but we're gonna live with it.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Also, I don't see Dixie using Peanut Popguns and jetpack. There's nothing saying she couldn't, just that its not a notable thing she does. Why would her recovery move be Diddy's instead of her iconic Ponytail Lift? Be like if Tails got in and his Up Special is Sonic's Spring...:facepalm:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Is Zonda even actually bigender? I feel like that was a localization exclusive thing
Like everyone in the gunvolt series, she was actually A CUTE ANIME LOLI.

Seriously, why the **** is everything in that series motivated by the machinations of little girls.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Chrom couldn't emulate Ike's Aether that well. What did they do? They adjusted it so it would suit him.
Dark Samus doesn't have missiles and bombs, but Sakurai gave them to her anyway.

I don't see why the same thing can't happen just because it's not right to you. It wasn't right to us when we got struck with it, but we're gonna live with it.
Chrom has a similar character design from Ike though.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Honestly idk, but I do know that I want that Monster Hunter stage (which looks like A. Steppe) that showed the Rathalos. In it could be random monsters that you could interact with, including Aptonoths (or whatever those herbivores are called), some Jaggi that harass fighters, occasional monsters appear in the background for details, and your occasional Rathalos as the boss.
For the character, it definitely has to be a MH Hunter. As for why I bring up MH in the first place... besides me liking the series, it was never confirmed to be a stage just yet, but the fact that it was shown with the Rathalos, perhaps it's just a secret stage that they won't show just yet. Implying that MH will be a character, should said character be revealed, I suspect that the site will show the stage along with the character soon after.

So in short, Ancestral Steppe (stage) with Monster Hunter (character). I don't really have a focus on the other stages though, so I apologize.

Potato_

Smash Lord
It's the other way around, the blog called Dark Samus an it, but the MP2 and 3 logs pretty consistently refer to her using female pronouns. For example:
Holy **** you're right...

I could've sworn they said "it" when I played through but I checked back to verify what you said and it's correct.

you can shame me now

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
I sincerely want the next Direct to just be announced already, because I'm ****ing ready not so much for salt, but for the "endgame" for speculation pre-release. Speculating is fun and all, but I'm ready to get hyped for the hype cycle to hit max.

I'm definitely in the belief that Incineroar and Ken are all that we have left until release, and to me that's ok. I don't think there's any doubt that DLC has the potential to surpass what we got last time, and could replicate the idea of "seasons" of DLC like other fighting game franchises.

For example, I'd love to see a Season 1 Package of something like this:
Characters:
Rex w/ Pyra & Mythra
Spring Man w/ Ribbon Girl Echo (for example, not necessarily fully on board with her being an echo)
Sora w/ Roxas Echo

Stages:
Argentum Trade Guild
ARMS Arena
The World That Never Was/ Destiny Islands/ Hollow Bastion

Assist Trophies:
Morag w/ Brighid, or Nia with Dromarch
Helix

Bosses:
Some sort of monster from XC2, can't really think of a good specific boss atm
Max Brass or Master Mummy (thought MM would be fun as a boss)

I'd pay for that in an instant tbh. I won't even get into music because I think the selection would be amazing and don't even need to mention it.
I've been thinking a lot about what kind of DLC release strategy they could be utilizing this time around, as well. One thing I'm pretty confident in is that we will be seeing more of it this time in terms of substantial content since the Switch is still young and looks to be set to thrive throughout its lifetime, meaning that development on the inevitable sequel shouldn't be starting anytime soon, unlike the circumstances of 3DS/Wii U, leaving Sakurai and his remaining team members to focus on creating DLC for Ultimate. I hope that they embrace seasons and, more importantly, season passes that offer some sort of discount or at least cool bonuses, as other big Nintendo games have done. I'm afraid they won't simply to maximize profits since they know everything will likely sell so well even without a season pass, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Whether they do seasons or not, though, if they do plan to continue DLC for a while, after thinkinh it over I believe that the best strategy for release would be to spread out the characters evenly across the two years following release. I feel like eight new characters in total isn't too outlandish, and if this is the number they make they could quite simply release one new fighter each season—spring, summer, fall, and winter. This would allow them to stagger the development of the characters, creating and releasing one relatively quickly and then moving on to the next one, as well as keeping the game relevant year-round with a steady stream of exciting new content. And if they wanted an even more consistent release flow of new content, they could release new stages in the interim between character releases. What do you all think? Do you have your own ideas on how they could release the DLC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom