• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Not sure if anyone posted this here yet, but I just stumbled across it and holy cow is it super cute:

That's probably the best Bowsette thing I've seen yet. Inkling especially is super wholesome and adorable. Oh my gosh I really want Nintendo character themed outfits for the Inklings now, lol.
That Kirby transformation is surreal.

Also, Ridleyette is amazing.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Pretty sure the only leaker in disguise we need to keep an eye on is Jon from GameXplain.
He correctly "predicted" Isabelle being a Semi clone, and Final Fantasy VII, IX, and X and X2 coming to the switch...
Now he's saying Shadow...
Linky por favor? Does he say Shadow is echo or semiclone?

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Music, eh? My previous post still stands, and Butter Building from Kirby's Epic Yarn still tops the list (even if sadly Mario and Yoshi'll be the only series with crafts-based stages).

Hopefully the agonizing wait for Ultimate single-player content info'll be over some time this month; I still feel like I'm setting my hopes too high.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Invisible Ties:

You play as Robin, and have to defend Chrom and Lucina from Ridley and Ganondorf, but Chrom and Lucina turn invisible every other 10 second interval, and won't attack much.

Stage: Arena Ferox
Actually, let me revise this.

Invisible Ties:

You play as Robin, and have to defend Chrom from Ridley and Ganondorf, but Chrom will turn invisible every other 10 second interval, and won't attack much.

Stage: Arena Ferox

Defiant of Destiny/Awakening:
This is a 2 player event, where players control Lucina and Chrom, with Robin as a CPU.

The enemies are Dark Link, Dark Young Link, and another Robin. The goal is to defeat the enemy Robin, and if you do so, you win the event.
However, if you let the CPU Robin deal the final blow, then you get a special prize and a bonus for winning.

To compensate, the CPU Robin is a decently competent AI, rather than a simple one like in the single-player event.

Stage: Castle Siege.

D

Deleted member

So I've never really had a character I "never want in Smash" because only if there are truly any justifiable reasons for their non-inclusion, it'd be petty. That sorta changed today. The only character I've felt "lukewarm" about would be Elma, given how her game (to me) was a letdown for a lot of reasons, but I'd at least wouldn't mind her inclusion because it'd make people happy, so I wouldn't care regardless. But recently, I decided to go back to Final Fantasy XV.

As of today, if there's any character I don't want in Smash, it'd be Noctis.

Not even just only from a character standpoint, but just with how godawful of an iteration Final Fantasy XV was. I even got a PS4 for that ****ing game, for crying out loud. I've waited 10 damn years for that game and put in 68+ hours, and what did I get? Detrimental story that was cut content as DLC so you HAD to pay more upfront where before XV, practically EVERY Final Fantasy had it's story in the full game, questionable design, lackluster combat and terrible story pacing. That's not even scratching the surface. I had to wait in silence for 7 years, only to find out that at one point, Nomura wanted to scrap the game and turn it as a musical inspired by Les Miserables? Then 3 years for Tabata to kick Square's ass back into shape with this game, only for this to be half-baked? And I'm not even scratching the surface.

There are so many Final Fantasy characters to choose from, hell, I will even take Squall and/or EVEN TIDUS over Noctis. I will even take Lightning, because at least XIII had some valuable merits and didn't have as much of a magnitude of problems XV's also had. If I wanted a princy, dark-haired little ****, I'd play Dark Pit. King of Lucis, my ass.

It really says a lot when a group of 40 people made a FULL RPG, had actual design philosophy, and produced it on what's practically handheld hardware, to then also make an DLC expansion - AFTER THE FULL GAME WAS COMPLETED - that is arguably better than most of Nintendo's DLC content and puts Breath of the Wild's Champion's Ballad to shame better than an RPG that has an already established name and studio that spent 10 years and an entire engine just only for that game, pretty much wasting your own money, and produced it during two console generations, only to make people buy an anime, movie, and cut content turned into DLC, AND THEN the game to make sure you know everything due to terrible mismanagement.

With that being said, I hope that the Final Fantasy situation gets fixed in Smash Ultimate and we get proper representation for iterations like Final Fantasy VI. On the topic of good music, I'm almost done with Okami HD and it'd be a ****ing CRIME if we don't get this as a part of the humongous music roster.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Not sure if anyone posted this here yet, but I just stumbled across it and holy cow is it super cute:

That's probably the best Bowsette thing I've seen yet. Inkling especially is super wholesome and adorable. Oh my gosh I really want Nintendo character themed outfits for the Inklings now, lol.
That Shulkette tease is killing me lol

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Thanks.

Ultra hype if true; imagine if Shadow played like he does in that one smash hack that I forget the name of...holy **** I will be hyped

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I'm just glad the hype cycle is less than a year, compared to Smash 4's 3 years. Between the time Smash 4 was announced and released, I had to go through all of middle school and half of my freshman year of high school.
This is actually my freshman year right now, and while I'm glad it's releasing soon, I'm kinda disappointed I don't get to experience a full, long hype cycle. Of course, I followed Smash 4 back then, but this is my first time on Smashboards. I figure it was really boring with how long the wait was though. Actually, maybe I dodged a bullet.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Wow, letting ourselves succumb to madness eh?
EVENT MATCH IDEAS!

The title for one I have is "Not my Car!"

You play as Captain Falcon and you have to fight Ryu and Ken (if he's in) on Big Blue before the stage makes a full lap.

Share your ideas and help things get on track (kind of)
"Firstborn Siblings!" (was going to do "Firstborn Brothers!", but Libre and Moon...)

:ultpikachu: has to defeat :ultganondorf::ultkrool::ultbowser::ultridley: while preventing :ultpichu: from reaching 100%. Pichu will be constantly targeted, and so taking these guys out is important. This takes place on Final Destination.

"Clash of the Alternatives"

:ultpit::ultsamus: must defeat :ultdarkpit::ultdarksamus: on Battlefield (I guess. Really neutralizes both, wouldn't you say?) This stamina match has all characters at 150 HP to even things out.

"Trial of the Hero"

:ultlink: has to defeat :ultganondorf: in a Stamina match, but Link is at 150 HP, while Ganondorf is at maximum HP (300 or higher). Ganondorf also gets 3 stocks to Link's 1. This takes place on Ω Great Plateau Tower (or Temple).

"Stealth, or Crazy?"

:ultgreninja::ultsheik::ultsnake::ultmetaknight: (his warping) all face off against :ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultdiddy::ultbowserjr: in a 1-stock match for all, 300% for all, on Ω Dracula's Castle (why not?) or Shadow Moses Island.

"Outbreak of Hyperactivity"

:ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultness::ultlucas: vs. :ultinkling::ultbowserjr::ultvillager::ulticeclimbers: (can't guess age) face off on Coliseum (why not?), with 4 stocks, but items are set to high for maximum chaos.

I can do more later.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I feel Shadow is more of an Echo than Isabelle is to the Villager. One of the reasons I flat-out didn't support her back then was because the whole idea of her being an Echo seemed strange to me. I'd rather have her as one, but it made more sense as a semi or a unique clone since there was still so much you could pull from Animal Crossing. Same can apply to Shadow maybe, but they're practically the same skeleton like :ultdarksamus: so make him float and slap a teleport, bing bang boom you got an Echo.

I'm gonna be on #TeamEcho for this one chief.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Thanks.

Ultra hype if true; imagine if Shadow played like he does in that one smash hack that I forget the name of...holy **** I will be hyped
I'd take it with a grain of salt though... He might have been lucky with his gueses. We don't know for sure if he has insider information or not.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I think the only way shadow gets in is by being an echo of sonic, but I feel he has the potential for being a semi clone based on his chaos powers, and having a gun and bike. Like I mentioned before, Sakurai will look at him and say "oh that's black Sonic" and make him a very similar echo. But I'd be hyped beyond belief if he's a semi clone though I'd understand if the broader community would be salty over it. In my wildest dreams, Shadow would be a semi clone, but realistically I know he would be an echo

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I'd take it with a grain of salt though... He might have been lucky with his gueses. We don't know for sure if he has insider information or not.
yeah, who knows. The final fantasy guesses are very specific though. Just good info to have tucked in my mind.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I feel Shadow is more of an Echo than Isabelle is to the Villager. One of the reasons I flat-out didn't support her back then was because the whole idea of her being an Echo seemed strange to me. I'd rather have her as one, but it made more sense as a semi or a unique clone since there was still so much you could pull from Animal Crossing. Same can apply to Shadow maybe, but they're practically the same skeleton like :ultdarksamus: so make him float and slap a teleport, bing bang boom you got an Echo.

I'm gonna be on #TeamEcho for this one chief.
I feel that Shadow being an Echo with a swapped recovery and down-special makes far too much sense.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Bowsette as Pit is literally what a female Pit would look like and I love it...Ridlette, Linkette and Falconette are also amazing looking

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I feel that Shadow being an Echo with a swapped recovery and down-special makes far too much sense.
and if that's how we get Shadow I am 100% fine with that. Just give me my boy in smash

Though if Gamexplain is right then holy hell...let the salt flow, I don't care, that'd be ****ing awesome

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord

I hate to admit it but I can't wait until someone does everyone on the roster with the Peachette crown hee hee!

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
If Shadow is confirmed as a Semi-clone (which is considered unique to Ultimate) then the salt will rise and confusion will increase as many thought that Shadow will be an echo.

Especially for the Tails supporters.

If it is true, then it is a huge sting for the Tails fans.
Tails vs Shadow.gif

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If Shadow is confirmed as a Semi-clone (which is considered unique to Ultimate) then the salt will rise.

Especially the Tails supporters.
Inb4 we get Tails as a semi and Shadow as an echo as a way to please both sides

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
and if that's how we get Shadow I am 100% fine with that. Just give me my boy in smash

Though if Gamexplain is right then holy hell...let the salt flow, I don't care, that'd be ****ing awesome
I’d keep an eye on Jon for sure, as I doubt anybody else could have predicted an 8-year-old Wii title getting a 3DS port without having insider info.

Long as Shadow’s in the game I will play him.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Bowsette as Pit is literally what a female Pit would look like and I love it...Ridlette, Linkette and Falconette are also amazing looking
So, Bowser gets the crown, turns into Bowsette, and then cosplays as other characters? I feel like that's when I'm getting.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
So, Bowser gets the crown, turns into Bowsette, and then cosplays as other characters? I feel like that's when I'm getting.
Or they all put on the crown out of curiosity (well not Ridley...he would be forced to wear the crown)

RandomAce

Smash Champion
When Jon first said that we’d get FFVII, FFIX, and FFX-X2 I wondered why was VIII skipped.

Even then, why is VIII not getting brought over to the Switch?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If Shadow is confirmed as a Semi-clone (which is considered unique to Ultimate) then the salt will rise.

Especially the Tails supporters.
No matter what, salt will always inevitably rise.

That's what happens in zero-sum games.
Someone's wins are my loss and vice-versa.

MainJPW

M.T.A
I think the only way shadow gets in is by being an echo of sonic, but I feel he has the potential for being a semi clone based on his chaos powers, and having a gun and bike. Like I mentioned before, Sakurai will look at him and say "oh that's black Sonic" and make him a very similar echo. But I'd be hyped beyond belief if he's a semi clone though I'd understand if the broader community would be salty over it. In my wildest dreams, Shadow would be a semi clone, but realistically I know he would be an echo
Every time Shadow comes up in a Gamexplain discussion they always meme on Shadow using a gun. I find this extremely unlikely since Sega themselves haven’t ever referenced Shadow using one after 2005 ever again or even Black Doom. They seem to be trying to sweep that under the rug.

Sega does like his bike, however, since that was in 06 and All Stars Racing. I could see it in a victory animation.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Personally I think he had info for that one direct in particular, but nothing else. The stuff he did call was waaaaay too specific, especially saying that FF 8 wouldn't be included in the ports.

It's also worth mentioning that smash stuff is put under much heavier wraps this time around, so I do think the amount of people that have info is very low (granted he did hint Ridley on ResetEra, but it seems like that info got passed around, as he wasn't the first to do it). By all means, continue to watch his predictions, but personally I don't think he has much else.

Untouch

Smash Master
When Jon first said that we’d get FFVII, FFIX, and FFX-X2 I wondered why was VIII skipped.

IIRC the source code for VIII is a total mess, the PC port had to be reverse engineered to even work. It's why it's never been ported anywhere outside of that case.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

I'm guessing it has to do with FFVII, FFIX, and FFX/X-2 all having phone ports, while FF8 has not.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Some people in the social zone posted a link saying how they lost lots of the FF8 data/content to port the game to other devices or something like that

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
If Shadow is confirmed as a Semi-clone (which is considered unique to Ultimate) then the salt will rise and confusion will increase as many thought that Shadow will be an echo.

Especially for the Tails supporters.

If it is true, then it is a huge sting for the Tails fans.
View attachment 167686
Oh man, if we get a Shadow semi-clone and still nothing for Tails, I'll be pissed.
Inb4 we get Tails as a semi and Shadow as an echo as a way to please both sides
Hey, I'll even take a Shadow semi and Tails echo, just give me my P2

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
They're numbered like newcomers and not like echoes.
Echoes are basically pure clones. They are not numbered.

Semi-clones are still considered unique, look at Dr. Mario, Young Link, and Lucas. All these semi-clones are numbered.
Oh totally misunderstood your wording
Thought you meant semi-clones were only in Ultimate

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I don't think the term semi-clone means anything. You list Dr. Mario who is basically just slightly further off from being a Mario echo, and then you list Lucas who has no meaningful similarity to any other member of the roster. Let's stop using this made up term to refer to nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom