• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Limited movement for Steve’s model shouldn’t really be a problem. If I can get technical for a moment, let’s not forget that nobody will ever have stiffer limbs than Mr. Game and Watch. Not that that’s a bad thing necessarily, but having a stiff run cycle and limbs doesn’t HAVE to look weird, it’s possible to make it work. Either way, I have full faith in Sakurai and the Smash team to make Steve look as good as he possibly can be while also fitting with the aesthetics of the game, if he does make it in.
Whenever people bring up G&W compared to Steve, I feel it's a flawed argument.
Mr. Game and Watch actually has hit, ledge, run, and a unique dash attack animation for him.
While, yes, they are completely stiff and have very little to no animation, they still convey what's happening to him, while staying aesthetically true to his own games. Even taking from his actual source material, to completely replicate those animations.
This is more evident with Smash Ultimate, as all characters are trying to be as 1:1 with their home incarnations.
They still display the "personality" and limitations of his games while still making him both visually distinct and matching the rest of the roster.

While this isn't to say that alterations can't be made to Steve's design and animations, obviously Smash takes liberties even with :ultgnw:, if you envision him exactly as he's modeled within the games he definitely doesn't contain any of those attributes.
His hit, run, and attack animations are all practically the same visually speaking.
So if you derive him exactly how he is in Minecraft, like how many characters are derived from their home games, he's definitely going to look completely out of place.
And honestly wouldn't mesh with the current roster or environment.

Like I said, if he became a character, I'm sure the Smash team will definitely overcome that while staying aesthetically pleasing and true.
However, when it becomes a question of "authenticity" and sticking to the origins as closely as possible, it's a difficult comparison.
It just comes down to the fact G&W had much more material to pull from his series, than Steve actually does.
With that said, I don't think this would be a roadblock for his inclusion.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
Graizen is that you? I think Doomguy is going to make every corner of the internet erupt with memes.
Would you care to develop on why ? And who is this Graizen dude ?

Lara Croft. Not just because of her guns being allowed.
A Bethesda rep, like Doomguy, Vault Boy, or Dragonborn, would definitely explode the Internet. A Fortnite character or stage I’d say would break news more than anything else, even Minecraft.
Oh gawd not Fornite I'd rather have Overwatch character lol

I honestly thing Banjo would get more hype than Sora.

Sora’s great and all, but he’s still active. Both Sora and Banjo would have the “holy crap that’s beloved third party character made it in Smash” factor, but only Banjo would have the “HOLY **** BANJO-KAZOOIE’S BACK FROM THE GRAVE AND ON NINTENDO TOO”
That's make sens indeed.

Banjo Kazooie
Crono from Chrono Trigger
Phoenix Wright my dude.
Dante from Devil May Cry
DoomGuy
Joker/Yu from Persona

in that order.

That's true, but I will counter argue, with how close minded most people are here and using "Bandana dee is just a gomba with a hat and Isabelle can't fight" level of argument against Sora as "He have a mickey keychain" , Sora will get a similar Internet Break because "HOLY **** DISNEY SAID YES WE GET DISNEY STUFF IN SMASH" alongside tons of salt, tons of joy

But yes, Sora+Bajo is basically the ultimate Hype that together could manage to go Cloud/Snake/Sonic Level if done right
I didn't thought of Persona wouldn't be more accurate to have the most iconic characters of the who Shin Megami Tensei franchise ?

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
How many people would be satisfied if we got this guy as our next TLOZ villain, and not Skull Kid (here or Smash community)?

Yuga would be cool, to me. He could be the next magic user from TLOZ, next to :ultzelda:, but a Lorulean (like Hilda), so he would stand out in that way. However, he would probably mirror :ultganondorf:'s FS with Yuga Ganon.

Would prefer most other zelda villains. Of just Villains in zelda he's like 7th on my list.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
one of the most highly anticipated NAMES for a video game period
>mfw Kingdom Hearts III always get in the top 10 of most anticipated games almost everytime, even before his announcement ever since the end of KH II

I also remember that people seriously forgot that KH is basically Square's second Franchise with FF now.
That game is either a Masterpiece, or a big disappointment at this point. But after doing the Japan Expo Demo which basically was Toy Story, I can safely say it will be ****ing great.

I didn't thought of Persona wouldn't be more accurate to have the most iconic characters of the who Shin Megami Tensei franchise ?
We're in a point where, sadly, Persona is more known to the "casual" public than SMT

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I've seen some people confused concerning the timeline, who said what, so I decided to pool all the sources together..

4 months ago: Vergeben claims that Minecraft is in the game in some capacity, only says stage/assist.
19 days ago: Hitagi claims, and I quote, "A MOTHU ****IN MINECRAFT CHARACTER" followed by calling Smash a kids game as a result. He even double checked!
9 days ago: Verge says that there's some connection with what Hitagi hears and what he hears, and sometimes they meet in the middle. He claims he personally heard Minecraft is in the game as an assist, stage, "possibly" a character from his main Smash sources. He's heard other sources that *they* have heard murmurs of Steve being playable.
4 days ago: Hitagi backtracks and says how he's implemented isn't 100%, guest characters are most likely DLC.

So Verge never claimed confidence in Steve being playable--and something I was wrong about, according to Verge, he didn't hear murmurs of Steve being playable, his non main Smash sources heard murmurs. Which is he said, they said, they said. Currently, Hitagi says most guests (which would include Steve) is most likely DLC. And it should be worth noting the gap between Verge only saying "stage/assist" to both claiming they've heard things about a playable Minecraft character, which lines up more if it's DLC. To me, given what Hitagi said and how he said it, I would have dismissed it had it not been for Verge legitimizing him, but this is the state we're in regarding leaks.

This is what I'll be referring back to, as it took me forever to track it all down.
"But I will give you something new aside from Snake that I did today... which is that Minecraft may have a presence in Smash I heard. The capacity I'm not sure. Stage or an assist trophy. " So it's not too clear from the start, then. The context implies he doesn't know at all other than it exists. So it can be taken as a guess in this case.

Thanks for the rest of the information, but it's best to think he's taking a guess at the time, imo.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Give me a pitch, and I'll put it on my list.

That sounded more arrogant than intended, my bad.
Do you mean what should it appear as? If so, really just everything on his head, with the tiara (I'm certain that is), and the diamond earrings on his elf-like ears. His red hair is also braided, so there's that.

Edit: And of course the green skin.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I'd go nuts too if Lara's in. She's so iconic that if feel that smash is her natural place by now. Let's just remember the top 10 video game characters of all time, according to Guinness:

1. Mario (Donkey Kong, Nintendo, 1981)
2. Link (The Legend of Zelda, Nintendo, 1986)
3. Master Chief (Halo: Combat Evolved, Microsoft, 2001)
4. Solid Snake (Metal Gear, Konami, 1987)
5. Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy VII, Square, 1997)
6. PAC-Man (PAC-Man, Namco, 1980)
7. Lara Croft (Tomb Raider, Eidos 1996)
8. Gordon Freeman (Half-Life, Valve, 1998)
9. Kratos (God of War, Sony, 2005)
10. Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog, Sega, 1990)

You see, we already got 6 characters from the top 10. Master Chief is Microsoft business, never been in a Nintendo console before, so it's very unlikely to see him in smash. Gordon is Valve, same case. Kratos is Sony, greatest Nintendo rival, will never be in smash. Lara on the other hand is VERY possible and the only thing that could keep her out of the game is Sakurai opinion about the character and/or maybe Square's conditions.
Portal, a Half Life spinoff has been on Nintendo via Lego Dimensions and the Bridge Constructor spinoff. So Gordan could work

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Would you care to develop on why ? And who is this Graizen dude ?
Just some guy that wants Agumon.

Anyway, Doomguy has a huge presence in practically every social media website as well as a big part of history. You can find Doomposting everywhere from 4chan to Tumblr and you can bet there is gonna be a lot of fanart of Doomguy punching stuff.

Well Persona and SMT are different entities and he specifically mentions Persona rather then SMT.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So in this case perhaps the protagonist from the third episode makes more sense I saw him being used quite a lot.
Atlus seems to have an obsession to make sure P3!Hero almost never appears while milking the **** out of Yu- so...I feel like they would probably take Yu

xleft

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0885-3621-8019
I honestly thing Banjo would get more hype than Sora.

Sora’s great and all, but he’s still active. Both Sora and Banjo would have the “holy crap that’s beloved third party character made it in Smash” factor, but only Banjo would have the “HOLY **** BANJO-KAZOOIE’S BACK FROM THE GRAVE AND ON NINTENDO TOO”
That's an interesting perspective but I don't think that would be the case. Banjo would explode the smash community but besides that it wouldn't be that big of a deal. At least not as big as Sora. Also, Kingdom Hearts III is coming and it's extremely hyped at this point so it would only add up to the reactions. Banjo could possibly get more hype in the smash community but overall definitely Sora imo.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>mfw Kingdom Hearts III always get in the top 10 of most anticipated games almost everytime, even before his announcement ever since the end of KH II

I also remember that people seriously forgot that KH is basically Square's second Franchise with FF now.
That game is either a Masterpiece, or a big disappointment at this point. But after doing the Japan Expo Demo which basically was Toy Story, I can safely say it will be ****ing great.

We're in a point where, sadly, Persona is more known to the "casual" public than SMT
As long as it's already better than Duke Nukem Forever, it's a start.

That said, Persona is to Wario Ware as SMT is to Wario Land. The difference here being that both series are actually alive.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It's been so long since we've had a fake Banjo leak--I'll take it. :rotfl:

"But I will give you something new aside from Snake that I did today... which is that Minecraft may have a presence in Smash I heard. The capacity I'm not sure. Stage or an assist trophy. " So it's not too clear from the start, then. The context implies he doesn't know at all other than it exists. So it can be taken as a guess in this case.

Thanks for the rest of the information, but it's best to think he's taking a guess at the time, imo.
I can see how what I said could be considered ambiguous, so I changed "said" to "suggest", implying uncertainty.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
Just some guy that wants Agumon.

Anyway, Doomguy has a huge presence in practically every social media website as well as a big part of history. You can find Doomposting everywhere from 4chan to Tumblr and you can bet there is gonna be a lot of fanart of Doomguy punching stuff.
I think this Doomguy is also iconic because he represent as a whole every FPS game ever don't we speak about a FPS being a Doom Like game ? For me I would be nuts as hell lol having Doomguy crush the skull of Mario characters that would make me cry of happiness ♥ I am a FPS fan and mostly on Quake and Unreal Tournament.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's been so long since we've had a fake Banjo leak--I'll take it. :rotfl:

I can see how what I said could be considered ambiguous, so I changed "said" to "suggest", implying uncertainty.
Oh, I wasn't strictly replying to what you said in the message. I was referring to in general why I believe it's a suggestion of what the content is.

Wasn't trying to correct you, to be clear. I can see how it seems that way considered I replied to your message. Apologies for that.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Kind of glad the leak thread is down. Been on vacation and just noticed this and catching up and what not. Has there been anything new as of late?

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
We are 68 days away from the release, basically 2 months and we are missing key info.

-Either they are waiting till the end of october to really ramp up marketing, announcements or such (not like smash needs much to sell gangbusters) but still.

-Or theres really not much else to expect (besides spirits and online modes) and theyll just do a direct like 2 weeks before release talking about those, im opting for the second option at this rate.

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
1.)Pig ganon
2.)Mipha, ruto echo
3.)Daruk, darunia echo
4.)Urbosa
5.)Revalli (medli is too small to be an echo unfortunately )
6.)Midna
7.)Tingle
8.)Skull kid
9.)Deku princess
10.)Vaati

The order I want Zelda new comers

Attachments

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
1.)Pig ganon
2.)Mipha, ruto echo
3.)Daruk, darunia echo
4.)Urbosa
5.)Revalli (medli is too small to be an echo unfortunately )
6.)Midna
7.)Tingle
8.)Skull kid
9.)Deku princess
10.)Vaati

The order I want Zelda new comers
Deku Princess over Impa even...?

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
Deku Princess over Impa even...?
Shiek already reps the shiekah prefectly, aould exept an impa or paya echo,

Want some non humans, I know I have urbosa on their and she's another human, but she is Domme mommy so she's an exception

Also I really like the deck and I wish that had a redesign and city and champion in botw, could have been in the center south

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
Crash Bandicoot...

Didn't Sakurai say not to expect that much news for a bit? At this point, I don't expect stuff until November
I know, as I was kinda thinking the same month. However, this is more of a what-if case scenario I am asking about, if anything.

EDIT: As in, a just in case scenario.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Shiek already reps the shiekah prefectly, aould exept an impa or paya echo,

Want some non humans, I know I have urbosa on their and she's another human, but she is Domme mommy so she's an exception

Also I really like the deck and I wish that had a redesign and city and champion in botw, could have been in the center south
Honestly, Impa should've been the Sheikah Champion in Breath of the Wild. Weird that she isn't.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, Impa should've been the Sheikah Champion in Breath of the Wild. Weird that she isn't.
Cuz she's ooooooold.

She might've been Zelda's Sheikah contact and advisor 100 years ago, but clearly when you become a granny's granny, you eventually retire.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not that weird. The Sheikah are vastly underused compared to the Gorons, Zoras, Rito, and Gerudo in many ways. It doesn't help that they're barely different from Hylians beyond the simple fact they wear different clothes. They don't have different skintones, there's barely any to talk about as is(beyond Impa), and Sheik feels like a representation of them alone despite her only existing to specifically reference the idea due to being trained by Impa.

They should actually give them a lot more lore, and that'd be very neat if they used a younger Impa to do so. They could also reuse her Oracles design to help differentiate the race itself. Another factor is Impa, unlike the other races, has tons of different body shapes, implying that there is no specific body design for a Sheikah. This could be why Sheik is a magical transformation, as transformations/body shifting could be a real Sheikah racial trait(and would be really neat to do). I mean, sure, they have some magical lore, with some darkness abilities implied in OOT, the ability to manipulate time and get the truth out of people(the Mask of Truth uses the Sheikah Symbol). But they still don't delve enough into it for it to matter.

Besides, every single Champion are of severely unique races that could be applied as a fighter. And you might notice BOTW is akin to Zelda 1, where Impa is an elderly lady in the story. It feels like a remake of the game in many ways, so keeping the lore similar works.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, the idea "slowing down" reveals and not getting anything else until November wouldn't be so bad if we'd just get more of the characters we haven't seen much of (i.e. ones not in the E3 Demo).

D

Deleted member

We are 68 days away from the release, basically 2 months and we are missing key info.

-Either they are waiting till the end of october to really ramp up marketing, announcements or such (not like smash needs much to sell gangbusters) but still.

-Or theres really not much else to expect (besides spirits and online modes) and theyll just do a direct like 2 weeks before release talking about those, im opting for the second option at this rate.
We're no doubt gonna have a repeat and have something next month, more so in it's later half.

We still need the rest of the assist trophies, Pokemon and more items to show, the single player mode, confirmation of trophies, the five remaining stages- it feels like there's gonna be another Direct or presentation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
Minecon would've been the perfect time to annouce Steve for minecraft/Minecraft presence in Smash.
I also joked about Sakurai being the special guest, i'd a big laugh at people's comments

I also hope we get 7 more characters but unlikely as it's gonna be more than Melee's newcomers (14)

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Honestly, the idea "slowing down" reveals and not getting anything else until November wouldn't be so bad if we'd just get more of the characters we haven't seen much of (i.e. ones not in the E3 Demo).
Amen. I need me some more K. Rool and Simon/Richter gameplay. I'm starving for that ****.

Doesn't seem likely though. I still feel like we'll get SOMETHING in October though. How much or how long it'll take is beyond me. Best case scenario is my Monday theory.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
How come people dislike the idea of Sans being playable in Smash Ultimate?
Was it ever a serious suggestion instead of a meme about him being Ness?

That could be why. If people can give some rather interesting ideas on how he could play, that'd be a lot different. Right now, he's nothing more than a meme. Even Goku has it better(if only thanks to being in fighting games overall, fanmade or otherwise).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom