• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Untouch

Smash Master
Honestly, the idea "slowing down" reveals and not getting anything else until November wouldn't be so bad if we'd just get more of the characters we haven't seen much of (i.e. ones not in the E3 Demo).
I just want some Squad Strike gameplay really, that's it.

Jchrono95

Smash Apprentice
The reveal trailer is literally just a normal fighting scene then sans appears behind Mario and megalovania plays for 2 seconds before ending

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
That's a later thing. Though that clears that up at least now that they're more clear. Originally, when he found out, it was more vague. Can you find out the rumors before the playable Steve? stuff?
I'm not sure about any rumors getting started before then; I just remember Vergeben's gamefaqs post mentioning Minecraft content, maybe a stage or assist trophy. I guess his sources just weren't as sure about those things back then, or one said stage while another said assist trophy because they didn't see/hear what the other saw/heard?

...though, I did find interesting info regarding Simon Belmont from Vergeben; about how Simon did surprisingly well in the ballot, though I dunno how Verge got that information. Maybe other characters were like that as well :) Just thought I'd bring this up because I don't remember anyone else doing so.

...though, in another one of his posts he also mentioned Simon's appearance being due to Castlevania making a comeback so idk.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
How come people dislike the idea of Sans being playable in Smash Ultimate?
Well if you ask me for example, i have no idea who he is. What ive heard is he is a meme of a dead ness or something, idk which game he comes from or who he is.

D

Deleted member

Was it ever a serious suggestion instead of a meme about him being Ness?
Yes, actually.

That could be why. If people can give some rather interesting ideas on how he could play, that'd be a lot different. Right now, he's nothing more than a meme. Even Goku has it better(if only thanks to being in fighting games overall, fanmade or otherwise).
Weak bone-based attacks that do only 1% damage on hit, but have a lingering "Karmic Retribution" effect that slowly raises the damage on the opponent (and it stacks) mixed in with some powerful moves involving Gaster Blasters and perhaps an automatic dodge mechanic based on the fact he's the ONLY opponent in Undertale that was trained under Piccolo.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm not sure about any rumors getting started before then; I just remember Vergeben's gamefaqs post mentioning Minecraft content, maybe a stage or assist trophy. I guess his sources just weren't as sure about those things back then, or one said stage while another said assist trophy because they didn't see/hear what the other saw/heard?

...though, I did find interesting info regarding Simon Belmont from Vergeben; about how Simon did surprisingly well in the ballot, though I dunno how Verge got that information. Maybe other characters were like that as well :) Just thought I'd bring this up because I don't remember anyone else doing so.

...though, in another one of his posts he also mentioned Simon's appearance being due to Castlevania making a comeback so idk.

Yeah, it got answered earlier by another user. Thank you though. I got the answer I needed. More or less he wasn't sure of what the content was, and gave zero clear context, makes it sound like he was guessing it was a stage or AT(he doesn't even say and/or). So...

Yes, actually.

Weak bone-based attacks that do only 1% damage on hit, but have a lingering "Karmic Retribution" effect that slowly raises the damage on the opponent (and it stacks) mixed in with some powerful moves involving Gaster Blasters and perhaps an automatic dodge mechanic based on the fact he's the ONLY opponent in Undertale that was trained under Piccolo.
That's awesome. I wish the "meme" version was less popular so we could see more cool ideas talked about. Oy. And that's really sweet for a mechanic!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not that weird. The Sheikah are vastly underused compared to the Gorons, Zoras, Rito, and Gerudo in many ways. It doesn't help that they're barely different from Hylians beyond the simple fact they wear different clothes. They don't have different skintones, there's barely any to talk about as is(beyond Impa), and Sheik feels like a representation of them alone despite her only existing to specifically reference the idea due to being trained by Impa.

They should actually give them a lot more lore, and that'd be very neat if they used a younger Impa to do so. They could also reuse her Oracles design to help differentiate the race itself. Another factor is Impa, unlike the other races, has tons of different body shapes, implying that there is no specific body design for a Sheikah. This could be why Sheik is a magical transformation, as transformations/body shifting could be a real Sheikah racial trait(and would be really neat to do). I mean, sure, they have some magical lore, with some darkness abilities implied in OOT, the ability to manipulate time and get the truth out of people(the Mask of Truth uses the Sheikah Symbol). But they still don't delve enough into it for it to matter.

Besides, every single Champion are of severely unique races that could be applied as a fighter. And you might notice BOTW is akin to Zelda 1, where Impa is an elderly lady in the story. It feels like a remake of the game in many ways, so keeping the lore similar works.
I get what you are meaning here. The Sheikah ARE underused a lot, and it's a shame because the overal theme of Breath of the Wild is extremely Sheikah. All the Shrines, all the magi-tech, the Divine Beasts, all these important story elements all root in the Sheikah race. And that's also why I anticipated a great role for Impa in Breath of the Wild innitially. Shame it didn't went that way. But there's still a possible next game that could adress these things. The Sheikah vs Yiga backstory can also be implemented more into this.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I get what you are meaning here. The Sheikah ARE underused a lot, and it's a shame because the overal theme of Breath of the Wild is extremely Sheikah. All the Shrines, all the magi-tech, the Divine Beasts, all these important story elements all root in the Sheikah race. And that's also why I anticipated a great role for Impa in Breath of the Wild innitially. Shame it didn't went that way. But there's still a possible next game that could adress these things. The Sheikah vs Yiga backstory can also be implemented more into this.
I mean you're acting like the Yiga aren't under-utilized in their debut game, they're just a joke that becomes an obstacle

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Post your top 3 most wanted Microsoft reps for Smash

1.- Master Chief
2.- Steve
3.- Marcus Phoenix
1- Fulgore
2- Master Chief
3- Steve?

Speaking of Yiga. Are they basically Sheikah race that turned their back on Hyrule?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly, the idea "slowing down" reveals and not getting anything else until November wouldn't be so bad if we'd just get more of the characters we haven't seen much of (i.e. ones not in the E3 Demo).
Yes, we still haven't solved the mystery of the Peach and Daisy FS, the riddle of how the returning Melee clones differ and the puzzle of whether Yoshi even uses new voice clips for once.

How come people dislike the idea of Sans being playable in Smash Ultimate?
I actually don't mind him at all.

Granted, mostly because I'm a fan of skeletons, but still.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
My personal top 10 most wanted Zelda characters (not including reworks of characters already in)
1. Vaati
2. Pig Ganon
3. Impa
4. Majora's Mask & Skull Kid
5. Twinrova
6. Tingle
7. Ghirahim
8-10. Deku Princess, a Zora and a Goron. (don't want any of these three more than the other)

Iridium

Smash Hero
I need to see Greninja and Lucario gameplay soon. And definitely Roy/Falco.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
How many people would be satisfied if we got this guy as our next TLOZ villain, and not Skull Kid (here or Smash community)?

Yuga would be cool, to me. He could be the next magic user from TLOZ, next to :ultzelda:, but a Lorulean (like Hilda), so he would stand out in that way. However, he would probably mirror :ultganondorf:'s FS with Yuga Ganon.

@Pakky, do you have the time to come up with some custom icons?
Don't particularly care for him as his own fighter. But it would be cool if:
he was part of Hilda's final smash, where he goes full Yuga Ganon or traps the other fighters in paintings. A Hilda Zelda echo could also use Ravio in place of her phantom summon
Would much rather we got Skull Kid on design alone, but also partly cos I want a main who would have decent taunts: ROB's barely even qualify as insults.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
The reason why people don't like the idea of Sans, or Undertale representation in general, in Smash is because of Undertale's fanbase. They feel that this affects Smash somehow, and frankly, I've heard worse excuses.

The UT community is very chill regarding Smash, and that's because of a couple reasons. The biggest reason being Undertale JUST came out on the Switch, so it was basically in everyone's assumption that any form of representation is already void.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I mean Impa is literally the role she originally was in the Zelda franchise so her being a wise old granny in the game that tries to re-explore Zelda's roots makes more sense than not having her be that
Yes, knowingly, I was content with it. Eventually. But it's a major setback compared to her previous two roles; Skyward Sword, her big revival and most important role as a core character and Hyrule Warriors, the game that made her playable for the first time and a sort of co-lead with Link as well. So that was a major bummer for me. I was expecting a sort of Skyward Sword-like role, as well as Young Impa in general, but what we gotten is Granny Impa being the game's story teller. I do hope for more roles of Impa where she is Zelda's bodyguard again.

Iridium

Smash Hero
So, just came back from the Best Buy demo. I played Link, PKMN Trainer, Ridley, And Inkling. Questions?
Here's my points:
I am aware of the event, but had no idea you live there!

Anyway, who did you play. Is there anything cool you can say you observed. Like, anything about characters we don't know already?

Did you play Link? I'm failing to see new footage.

Edit: Quoting this for later.
1. Also, how does his mobility and recovery feel? Slow, average, fast, or anything around those areas?

2. Does his down tilt spike, if you tried it?

3. What alts came off as the best to you? How different did the stock icons look (if you got to check)?

4. If you tried picking up arrows, how easy is it to do so?

5. How powerful are his throws? Specifically up, forward and back. I've seen down throw enough times.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The reason why people don't like the idea of Sans, or Undertale representation in general, in Smash is because of Undertale's fanbase. They feel that this affects Smash somehow, and frankly, I've heard worse excuses.

The UT community is very chill regarding Smash, and that's because of a couple reasons. The biggest reason being Undertale JUST came out on the Switch, so it was basically in everyone's assumption that any form of representation is already void.
I think the better argument against Sans would be "he's just been in one game", when we have no idea when (rather than "if") Sakurai would show that he's definitely willing to break that "rule".

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
But on the Topic of yuga, it's really stupid that Ganondorf doesn't have an alt color based Yuga, Agahnim, Demise or Onox. Instead Ganondorf has just a bunch of unispired recolors.
Like even his blue skinned one doesn't color his armor to match any Ganon designs.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Speaking of Yiga. Are they basically Sheikah race that turned their back on Hyrule?
Yes they are former Sheikah who eventually turned their back on Hyrule because the Sheikah clan wasn't allowed to expand on their knowledge and technology under the order of the King of Hyrule. So they swore alliance to Ganon. It's a real big shame the game doesn't really go that deep into this honestly.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
gonna get flamed for this but I don't think Skull Kid is the most deserving Zelda villain, let alone character, to make it in smash. I won't be incredibly salty if he makes it but yeah that's just my opinion.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yes, knowingly, I was content with it. Eventually. But it's a major setback compared to her previous two roles; Skyward Sword, her big revival and most important role as a core character and Hyrule Warriors, the game that made her playable for the first time and a sort of co-lead with Link as well. So that was a major bummer for me. I was expecting a sort of Skyward Sword-like role, as well as Young Impa in general, but what we gotten is Granny Impa being the game's story teller. I do hope for more roles of Impa where she is Zelda's bodyguard again.
The problem with Skyward Sword is that she didn't do a severe amount to make her memorable in that game. Not any more than OOT. HW is a spin-off, so it's pretty irrelevant.

She rarely gets an actual story important plot. It's sad too, since this is part of why she isn't nearly as memorable as she could be, at least compared to the other recurring characters. Ganon(dorf), Link, Zelda, even many of the various races and monsters tend to be easier to remember.

It'd be neat if she got a DLC thing, though they could just add another Sheikah Champion, maybe the one who knew the Yiga clan members before they turned evil. In fact, that person could've been killed by them instead of Ganon. I don't know if you forgot, but the Champions all got killed in BOTW. That's why they were able to give their powers to Link. ...Are you fine with Impa being killed(who never dies in any Zelda game, possibly due to her ability to possibly shapeshift/change ages, etc...).

Yes they are former Sheikah who eventually turned their back on Hyrule because the Sheikah clan wasn't allowed to expand on their knowledge and technology under the order of the King of Hyrule. So they swore alliance to Ganon. It's a real big shame the game doesn't really go that deep into this honestly.
Agreed. Though maybe this is why the only two Sheikah are heroes, because they're the only surviving members of those who stayed good?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The hell are you talking about lad?
Basically, anytime anybody assumes Sakurai wouldn't include a character for some arbitrary reason thought up by the fanbase, he goes against it and everyone is caught off-guard (e.g. a third party can only have one character, which was broken by Richter's inclusion recently).

Last edited:

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
I mean you're acting like the Yiga aren't under-utilized in their debut game, they're just a joke that becomes an obstacle
Yiga clan needs to be expanded, first have several big time members that are like the akatsuki from naruto

Second have non human members, need evil zora, gorons, rito, and any other races brought back like the deku, also have hybrids of the various races and humans

I'd also like to see them work for a human ganondorf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom