• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Already happened.

:4shulk:

And now with all vets back, I live in a world where all my wants are unrealistic. and I am content.
After Inkling, Isabelle, Ridley and K. Rool, I'm pretty much in the same boat. I know full well any other character I want isn't gonna happen, so I'm content with the current Smash Bros. roster. My main thing right now is modes: I wanna know what I'm actually gonna use these character in outside of regular Smash, lol. Crossing my fingers for a good single player through Spirits and maaaybe the return of Break the Targets.

Last edited by a moderator:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
To play my part in this 100 character roster for Smash Ultimate
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdoc::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultdaisy:
69. Bowsette...jk it’s Fawful
70. Paper Mario
71. Geno
:ultlink::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink:
72. Impa
73. Skull Kid
:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
74. Dixie Kong
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:
75. Bandana Dee
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:
76. Slippy
:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultgreninja:
77. Inceneroar
:ultness::ultlucas:
78. Ninten
:ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultlucina::ultrobin:ultcorrin::ultchrom:
79. Celica
:ultpit::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit:
80. Viridi
:ultwario:
81. Ashley
82. Kat-Ana
:ultsonic:
83. Shadow
84. Tails
85. Amy
:ultlittlemac:
86. Glass Joe
:ultshulk:
87. Elma
88. Rex and Pyra/Mythra
:ultryu:
89. Ken
:ultbayonetta:
90. Jeanne
:ultinkling:
91. Octolings
92. Shantae
93. Issac
94. Lara Croft
95. Scorpion
96. Sub Zero
97. Ribbon Girl/Spring Man
98. Chorus Kids or Karate Joe
99. Mach Rider
100. Clementine or Jill Valentine

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Zelda can get pig ganon to apologise for falcondorf

We can get a zora rep

Mipha water and ice manipulation, zora barrier, boomerang fins, and the first spear character
Gorons rep

Style savvy character

Arms rep

Elma

Rex and pyra and mythra
Totally forgot about Arms and Style Savy tbh. I want a Style Savy rep just to see how the hell that'd work.

Rex/Pyra along with the entirety of Xenoblade 2's base game (Torna is fine) needs to be purged from existence

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
How would you feel if your favorite franchise was on the brink of death? You'd want to give it some support via voting for it right? So when Bayo took the spot over them... People felt kinda upset... RH and Golden Sun have a much longer history with Nintendo and are even owned by them unlike Bayonetta...
Bayonetta getting in over the last remaining Nintendo Franchise without Representation can be Kinda insulting to their fans...
Don't you think this mindset might be a liiiiiitle petty? I'd hate to be the one to point it out, but this mentality is what makes the Smash fanbase so toxic at times.

It's not exclusively Bayonetta's fault Isaac and Chorus Kids didn't make it in. There's always more factors to it then that.

How do you think it feels being a fan of a character who doesn't "deserve" to be in Smash? Believe it or not, I was a Corrin was actually one of my pipe dream characters. The first thing I thought when I saw him use dragon fang was "woah, that guy has to be in Smash". Then by some miracle ge got in, but people are still whining about him and FE because of it to this day and I'm sick of it. And that's not all. I wanted both Mewtwo and Lucario, but their fanbases were always at eachother's throats. I hoped for Lucy and Pittoo to get in in some form, but when we got them they became the community's scapegoats as if they single handedly prevented K.Rool's and Ridley's inclusion.

I dislike Bayo myself but I sympathize with her supporters and all the hate they get. No character "deserves" to be in Smash, and at the end of the day how much a character "fits" or "needs" to get in is entirely personal taste.

I say this to everyone who has a character they don't like in this game: Give that character you dont like and their fans a break, regardless of who's "spot" they "stole". Scapegoating isn't healthy for you or the community as a whole.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Hahaha a 100 characters roster with very unique characters and all of them with tons of interactions...

Actually i could picture this...

"the year is 20xx... sakurai relased the tenth Smash Bros Ultimate DLC season, this number doesn't include clones...Today at 12:00 the patch will be live and the #100 character will join the fight... but there is no party, Sakurai actually is alone, climbing a mountain. he understand that in a few hours the patch will go live, but he doesn't care. He was climbing during sunrise and he is still climbing.

After a while he stops, puts his backpack on the ground and sits in a rock, watching the mountains below, what he have managed to climb already, as the morning mist starts to dissipate. he gets from his backpack a flask where he stored some tea, and takes a long sip in silence, and wonders whats next. looks at his watch, is already 12:00 pm. below, in teh city probably everyone is going nuts, Fans praising his name from a feat that no one else could accomplish. Designers cursing his name since he now just killed videogames, as there will never be another game able to match Smash Ultimate definitive edition. But he sits there alone.

Now in his hands is a battered up kirby amiibo which he seems to roll constantly on his hands while he keeps looking at the sky, as he ponders... What's next? what could be next? how could posible even be a "next"? The question seems opressive, but the mountains air seems to calm his anxiousness Then while watching teh sky he just stands up, grabs a piece of paper and writes one single Kanji.

Sora.

Is the kanji of sky, is the kanji of his company, his work, his dedication, his passion, his life.

But it also means void.

and as he understand that his void inside him, is actually his realization, he left the paper drift with teh winds, dissapearing in the horizon, and he puts the battered kirby amiibo where he was sitting, leaving it behind, watching the sky, as he dissapeared into the mountains, to never be seen again."

-FIN-

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I know the hype for shadow will probably be next to nil for most seeing as he's so widely expected, but for me I'd be so incredibly hyped. He's my favorite video game character ever and I've wanted him in smash for a few years now.

I'll be hyped for Bandana Dee and Geno, but Shadow will take the cake in terms of hype. Anyone else I like will be icing on the cake.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I know no one here has been doing this lately, but I still wanted to post this:
Shrek For Five Minutes (Steve).png

It just kinda hurt; it's also funny, everyone supporting other characters, and then when recent news comes by, a bunch of people act like their characters are competing, and then they all-out dis Steve without thinking of anyone who may want him in; this isn't even exclusive to Steve, of course, but people act like he'd start a civil war in the community. They also dis other characters without giving any thought to their fanbase.

As if characters are even "competing," because Sakurai already has a list of who to add, making all this "competition" and anger just plain silly.

also yes I just used a meme to vent =P

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay so, does anyone have that one character that if they get in you're just gonna take a victory lap listening to this song

https://youtu.be/JAEDQwMtf4o
Okay, but if Rayman gets in, I'd play this instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEjgPh4SEmU

View attachment 167119

It just kinda hurt; it's also funny, everyone supporting other characters, and then when recent news comes by, a bunch of people act like their characters are competing, and then they all-out dis Steve without thinking of anyone who may want him in; this isn't even exclusive to Steve, of course, but people act like he'd start a civil war in the community. They also dis other characters without giving any thought to their fanbase.

As if characters are even "competing," because Sakurai already has a list of who to add, making all this "competition" and anger just plain silly.\

also yes I just used a meme to vent =p
Meanwhile, some characters aren't even given the time of day much at all (like Duke Nukem, but that's a topic for another day). As much as I'm not keen on Steve, I don't attack the people who do want him in. One must be courteous, after all.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know the hype for shadow will probably be next to nil for most seeing as he's so widely expected, but for me I'd be so incredibly hyped. He's my favorite video game character ever and I've wanted him in smash for a few years now.

I'll be hyped for Bandana Dee and Geno, but Shadow will take the cake in terms of hype. Anyone else I like will be icing on the cake.
I am a huge SA2 fanboy, so being able to play as both Sonic AND Shadow in Smash has always been something I thought would be cool.

Shadow would be hype, and I'm not counting him out yet. He's got everything Isabelle had going for her, it's just a matter of waiting to see if Sakurai actually put him in or not. If there's another Echo with the currently rumored one, my money's on Shadow.

potato69

Smash Apprentice
How would you feel if your favorite franchise was on the brink of death? You'd want to give it some support via voting for it right? So when Bayo took the spot over them... People felt kinda upset... RH and Golden Sun have a much longer history with Nintendo and are even owned by them unlike Bayonetta...
Bayonetta getting in over the last remaining Nintendo Franchise without Representation can be Kinda insulting to their fans...
I've been wanting a RH rep for a VERY long time, and I've never felt that Bayonetta "took a spot" from one at all. I don't recall seeing other RH fans getting upset over her inclusion either.

I think we should be happy that, despite not getting who we PERSONALLY want, there are many other people who finally got the character that they really wanted (and according to Bayonetta's supposed performance on the ballot, that is a significant number of people). Bayo being added to the game, whether you like it or not, made many people happy, which is a good thing.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
And you assume Bayonetta stole a spot from somebody

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Let's be honest, if Bayo wasn't DLC for 4, she would have been on the base roster for this one

preferably as #69

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Let's be honest, if Bayo wasn't DLC for 4, she would have been on the base roster for this one

preferably as #69
I don't know if that would be better or worse. She would get more time to be balanced, but they wouldn't have as much proof that Bayonetta is OP.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
View attachment 167119

As if characters are even "competing," because Sakurai already has a list of who to add, making all this "competition" and anger just plain silly.

also yes I just used a meme to vent =P
It's subjective, because ever since the Steve leak--I haven't see anybody bashing Steve. I'd made my opinions known (it's fine to have different opinions), but I feel well in the minority in that one. If anything, after the Steve leak more people prefer him to Banjo & Kazooie, whereas a year ago it would be the opposite. And while competing is not the word--third parties tend to have only one or two characters representing them as a whole, so it's not an unwarranted concern.

People are free to like any character they want, but it works the other way as well--so long as we're respecting each other (as I've seen people bashing Banjo fans, not just the characters--which made me almost leave again). But if there's Steve hate--I ain't seeing it.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Okay so, does anyone have that one character that if they get in you're just gonna take a victory lap listening to this song

https://youtu.be/JAEDQwMtf4o
I'm going with my most realistic picks here, so Phoenix Wright or Travis Touchdown. Ayumi to a lesser extent. Elma as my potentially easiest choice.

Anyway, 100 characters, uh...

69. Incineroar
70. Elma
71. Travis Touchdown
72. Neku Sakuraba
73. Phoenix Wright
74. Chibi-Robo
75. Marina Liteyears
76. Lip
77. Ayumi Tachibana
78. Geno
79. Ken Masters

80. Arle Nadja
81. Banjo-Kazooie
82. Steve
83. Captain Toad
84. 2B
85. Rhythm Reporter & Wrestler
86. Lloyd Irving
87. Mona (WarioWare)
88. Style Savvy Protagonist
89. Impa (Hyrule Warriors)

90. Isaac
91. Joker (Persona 5)
92. Anna (Fire Emblem)
93. Dr. Robotnik
94. Doshin the Giant
95. Captain Syrup
96. Soma Cruz
97. Agent J/Ryuuta (Elite Beat Agents/Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!)
98. Skull Kid
99. Crono
100. Goku

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It's subjective, because ever since the Steve leak--I haven't see anybody bashing Steve. I'd made my opinions known (it's fine to have different opinions), but I feel well in the minority in that one. If anything, after the Steve leak more people prefer him to Banjo & Kazooie, whereas a year ago it would be the opposite. And while competing is not the word--third parties tend to have only one of two characters representing them as a whole, so it's not an unwarranted concern.

People are free to like any character they want, but it works the other way as well--so long as we're respecting each other (as I've seen people bashing Banjo fans, not just the characters--which made me almost leave again). But if there's Steve hate--I ain't seeing it.
I'm fine if people simply don't like Steve, but I've seen some arguments against Steve that seem to be made simply because of dislike (the arguments are basically "he should never get in" / "he doesn't deserve it"/ "his fanbase is filled with kids"(seriously?) / "he wouldn't fit in" etc.). I've seen some solid arguments that I understand, and then there's ones that don't seem sound at all, with some people acting like he'd steal their character's slot when he's not even related to said character in any way, like he should never get in and Sakurai would be smart to not add him.

Admittedly, there's not a whole lot of true hate, but I have seen different people be against the character in a way that felt rather rude :I

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
It's subjective, because ever since the Steve leak--I haven't see anybody bashing Steve. I'd made my opinions known (it's fine to have different opinions), but I feel well in the minority in that one. If anything, after the Steve leak more people prefer him to Banjo & Kazooie, whereas a year ago it would be the opposite. And while competing is not the word--third parties tend to have only one of two characters representing them as a whole, so it's not an unwarranted concern.

Eh, there's still the passive aggessive "Steve shouldn't be character stage assist is enough". But the decrease in Steve bashing lately i think comes from the leak helped people wanting steve finaly be open about it and defending him. So at the moment Steve's fans are louder.
and while you say you haven't seen Steve hate, I can't say I have seen the bashing of Banjo fans. (note, i'm pretty much exclusively in this thread)

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I would **** myself laughing so hard if this “goku” got into smash just to piss off dbz fans.

It’d almost even be worth not getting my most wanted character, Geno.

...almost...
Ill do you one better, Add Super Mario to Xenoverse 2 and FighterZ. and make him BROKEN AS ALL HELL.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Anyways here is my take on 100 unique character rosters... a quick pointers so far, gonna try to keep it both iconic and varied, and it does include incineroar.

69#Incineroar (Pokemon)
70#Steve (Minecraft)
71#Sora (Kingdom Hearth)
72#Dante (devil's may cry)
73#Bomberman (Bomberman)
74#Chosen Undead (Dark Souls)
75#Min Min (ARMS)
76#Mipha (Zelda)
77#Rex & Pyra and blades and stuff,something XBC2 (Xenobalde 2)
78#Rythm Heaven Troupe (Rythm Heaven)
79#Crash Bandicot (Crash Bandicot)
80#Doom Marine (Doom)
81#FE 3 houses rep (Fire emblem)
82#Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)
83#Isaac (Golden Sun)
84#Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
85#Captain Toad (Mario/Captain Toad)
86#Loyd Irving (Tales of)
87#Poochy (Yoshi)
88#Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby)
89#Mach Rider (Mach Rider)
90#Diablo (Diablo)
91#Shin Megami V rep (Shin Megami Tensei)
92#8th gen Pokemon (Pokemon)
93#Tails or Knuckles (Sonic)
94#Chun Li (Street Fighter)
95#Alucard (Castlevania)
96#Dragonborn (ElderScrolls)
97#Skull Kid (Zelda)
98#Ashley (Wario Ware)
99#Tracer (Overwatch)
100#Waluigi (Mario)

Summary:
-only mario, pokemon and zelda get 2 extra newcomers.
-Wide array of franchises and fan wishes fulfilled withouth going full steam into a fan popularity poll.
-Third Parties are iconic and very recognizable
-Only exception is Shin megami tesei rep, but at least SMT is a friggin old series, Persona character can replace if we need more iconicness)
-Only 3 third party "secondary" characters, but they too are iconic on their own right.
-Tried to forsee as much as I could into the Switch future. so it also have fresh entries.
-List doesn't include Echoes.
-poochy is there so yoshi series could get another rep (original 8 and stuff), and i think that it could also be an interesting character on its own right. (if we cant have Lycanrock or silvally, we get poochy XD)
-Waluigi will be the running butt of the joke, until he is announced as the final smash character ever...
-Tried to keep Third parties number on check, but after a while it was harder and harder to come up with still interesting nintendo characters that weren't like tertiary characters.

Thoughs?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Y’know, this isn’t as weird as Rosalina’s design for Odyessy.

Why was she supposed look like ****ing Marcaline from Adventure time!?!
(I actually like it a bit).
Ya know, the fact that they were willing to attempt a more Western design for an established character means that Ninty might be opening up a little more :yoshi:

blackghost

Smash Champion
i find the bayo salt exhausting. people need to move on.
but when her third game comes out some people are in for a rude awakening when she could very likely receive a dlc character inclusion. bayonetta 3 should be shown either at nintendo e3 next year or possibly before.

any game that is a bug nintendo release should expect a promotional dlc character in smash 2019 has projected releases of:
bayonetta 3
town
dragon quest
final fantasy 7,9,12, x-2
shin megami tensei
travisstrike again no more heroes
pokemon
fire emblem three houses
metriod prime 4
any dlc prediction that is not a major third party should start with speculation from these games.

also: why do people expect waluigi to be dlc in this game? not sure if people are just memeing or what. but that isnt happening.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
"Celica as a Robin echo" is the new "Isabelle as a Villager echo."

I'm not putting too much stock into a text leak that may have gotten lucky since I believe in Box Theory, but Celica as a Robin echo outright doesn't work.

Like, there's a better chance of Mae getting in as a Celica echo, and that's saying something. I'd totally love that btw.
May I ask why? Celica would work well enough as a Robin Clone of some sort, though if it would count as an echo I'm not sure. Just swap out the weapon durability for the magic attack's being self-damaging, and make Elwind a one hit Exicaliber.

Also sorry but can Mae even use swords?
Yeah, I wouldn't put any stock into what Gamestop says.

Case in point;
Is it bad I'd prefer that to what we have? Sceptile, Decidueye, and Maxwell would all be pretty great newcomers.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Anyways here is my take on 100 unique character rosters... a quick pointers so far, gonna try to keep it both iconic and varied, and it does include incineroar.

69#Incineroar (Pokemon)
70#Steve (Minecraft)
71#Sora (Kingdom Hearth)
72#Dante (devil's may cry)
73#Bomberman (Bomberman)
74#Chosen Undead (Dark Souls)
75#Min Min (ARMS)
76#Mipha (Zelda)
77#Rex & Pyra and blades and stuff,something XBC2 (Xenobalde 2)
78#Rythm Heaven Troupe (Rythm Heaven)
79#Crash Bandicot (Crash Bandicot)
80#Doom Marine (Doom)
81#FE 3 houses rep (Fire emblem)
82#Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)
83#Isaac (Golden Sun)
84#Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
85#Captain Toad (Mario/Captain Toad)
86#Loyd Irving (Tales of)
87#Poochy (Yoshi)
88#Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby)
89#Mach Rider (Mach Rider)
90#Diablo (Diablo)
91#Shin Megami V rep (Shin Megami Tensei)
92#8th gen Pokemon (Pokemon)
93#Tails or Knuckles (Sonic)
94#Chun Li (Street Fighter)
95#Alucard (Castlevania)
96#Dragonborn (ElderScrolls)
97#Skull Kid (Zelda)
98#Ashley (Wario Ware)
99#Tracer (Overwatch)
100#Waluigi (Mario)

Summary:
-only mario, pokemon and zelda get 2 extra newcomers.
-Wide array of franchises and fan wishes fulfilled withouth going full steam into a fan popularity poll.
-Third Parties are iconic and very recognizable
-Only exception is Shin megami tesei rep, but at least SMT is a friggin old series, Persona character can replace if we need more iconicness)
-Only 3 third party "secondary" characters, but they too are iconic on their own right.
-Tried to forsee as much as I could into the Switch future. so it also have fresh entries.
-List doesn't include Echoes.
-poochy is there so yoshi series could get another rep (original 8 and stuff), and i think that it could also be an interesting character on its own right. (if we cant have Lycanrock or silvally, we get poochy XD)
-Waluigi will be the running butt of the joke, until he is announced as the final smash character ever...
-Tried to keep Third parties number on check, but after a while it was harder and harder to come up with still interesting nintendo characters that weren't like tertiary characters.

Thoughs?
Well you got SMT in there.
And that's my jam.
1467355918549.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom