• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
any game that is a bug nintendo release should expect a promotional dlc character in smash 2019 has projected releases of:
bayonetta 3
town
dragon quest
final fantasy 7,9,12, x-2
shin megami tensei
travisstrike again no more heroes
pokemon
fire emblem three houses
metriod prime 4
any dlc prediction that is not a major third party should start with speculation from these games.

also: why do people expect waluigi to be dlc in this game? not sure if people are just memeing or what. but that isnt happening.
We don't know if it's possible to have some promotion as DLC from upcoming games like, new fighters, new stages, and new musics.

As right now, Sakurai isn't thinking about DLC (he is prob now, seeing that game was near done and would be ready to release in December 7 so that means we should expect DLC new soon)

Also:

>"any game that is a bug nintendo release"

What? Can you kindly explain what you were trying to say there? I don't understand your grammar for second.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I guess I'll list my 100 characters as well. I tried to choose them based on popularity and who I think deserves it most.

69. Chorus Kids (a threesome could be a very interesting "gimmick" as character 69)
70. Paper Mario
71. Captain Toad
72. Waluigi
73. Ashley
74. Dixie
75. Skull Kid
76. Tingle
77. Lyn
78. Bandana Dee
79. Krystal
80. Meowth (I know Inceniroar is probably in, but Meowth deserves it more)
81. Elma
82. Rex and Pyra/Mythra
83. Zero
84. Tails
85. Isaac
86. Geno
87. Banjo and Kazooie
88. Steve
89. Chibi-Robo
90. Andy
91. Lip
92. Sora
93. Takamaru
94. Dragon Quest character
95. Savvy Stylist
96. Bomberman
97. Shantae
98. Rayman
99. Springman
100. Vaati

Edit: rip forgot about ARMS sorry Impa you're an echo now

Last edited:

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Anybody think that Masterpieces will be returning for Ultimate this time around? With no Virtual Console support on the Switch, it doesn't seem likely in my opinion, though it would be interesting if they did return.

It could be possible to have game trailers for every series in Smash stand in for Masterpieces, now that I think about it. Maybe 3-5 minute long sessions or so for each game, so you could at least have an idea what each game is like if someone isn't familiar with them.

Anyone else thinking something similar? I haven't seen them talked about myself, so I was curious as to how you guys felt about Masterpieces returning in general.

Anyways here is my take on 100 unique character rosters... a quick pointers so far, gonna try to keep it both iconic and varied, and it does include incineroar.

69#Incineroar (Pokemon)
70#Steve (Minecraft)
71#Sora (Kingdom Hearth)
72#Dante (devil's may cry)
73#Bomberman (Bomberman)
74#Chosen Undead (Dark Souls)
75#Min Min (ARMS)
76#Mipha (Zelda)
77#Rex & Pyra and blades and stuff,something XBC2 (Xenobalde 2)
78#Rythm Heaven Troupe (Rythm Heaven)
79#Crash Bandicot (Crash Bandicot)
80#Doom Marine (Doom)
81#FE 3 houses rep (Fire emblem)
82#Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)
83#Isaac (Golden Sun)
84#Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
85#Captain Toad (Mario/Captain Toad)
86#Loyd Irving (Tales of)
87#Poochy (Yoshi)
88#Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby)
89#Mach Rider (Mach Rider)
90#Diablo (Diablo)
91#Shin Megami V rep (Shin Megami Tensei)
92#8th gen Pokemon (Pokemon)
93#Tails or Knuckles (Sonic)
94#Chun Li (Street Fighter)
95#Alucard (Castlevania)
96#Dragonborn (ElderScrolls)
97#Skull Kid (Zelda)
98#Ashley (Wario Ware)
99#Tracer (Overwatch)
100#Waluigi (Mario)

Summary:
-only mario, pokemon and zelda get 2 extra newcomers.
-Wide array of franchises and fan wishes fulfilled withouth going full steam into a fan popularity poll.
-Third Parties are iconic and very recognizable
-Only exception is Shin megami tesei rep, but at least SMT is a friggin old series, Persona character can replace if we need more iconicness)
-Only 3 third party "secondary" characters, but they too are iconic on their own right.
-Tried to forsee as much as I could into the Switch future. so it also have fresh entries.
-List doesn't include Echoes.
-poochy is there so yoshi series could get another rep (original 8 and stuff), and i think that it could also be an interesting character on its own right. (if we cant have Lycanrock or silvally, we get poochy XD)
-Waluigi will be the running butt of the joke, until he is announced as the final smash character ever...
-Tried to keep Third parties number on check, but after a while it was harder and harder to come up with still interesting nintendo characters that weren't like tertiary characters.

Thoughs?
Dixie and Isaac are among my top Nintendo choices, and Chun-Li, Lloyd Irvine, Doom Marine (I always wanna call him "Doomguy" :laugh:), SMTV Rep, Tails and Sora are all excellent third party choices in my opinion. I also really like Min Min, Bomberman, and Dante, plus Ashley and Skull Kid are cool too. Overall, a really good list!

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I'm fine if people simply don't like Steve, but I've seen some arguments against Steve that seem to be made simply because of dislike (the arguments are basically "he should never get in" / "he doesn't deserve it"/ "his fanbase is filled with kids"(seriously?) / "he wouldn't fit in" etc.). I've seen some solid arguments that I understand, and then there's ones that don't seem sound at all, with some people acting like he'd steal their character's slot when he's not even related to said character in any way, like he should never get in and Sakurai would be smart to not add him.

Admittedly, there's not a whole lot of hate, but I have seen different people be against the character in a way that felt rude :I
And those arguments are mostly stupid. I have seen the "fanbase full of kids" argument, and that makes no sense (if they didn't realize it, Nintendo primarily makes games for kids). And while no character can steal a slot, it's only logical with a limited space, some characters will be prioritized over others--and as such, fans can speculate over which characters they feel should be prioritized over others. For me, characters with a much stronger history with Nintendo should be prioritized over those that have only appeared on Nintendo, or especially those that haven't at all. But that's just my personal view, that's another I'm in the minority on.

Eh, there's still the passive aggessive "Steve shouldn't be character stage assist is enough". But the decrease in Steve bashing lately i think comes from the leak helped people wanting steve finaly be open about it and defending him. So at the moment Steve's fans are louder.
and while you say you haven't seen Steve hate, I can't say I have seen the bashing of Banjo fans. (note, i'm pretty much exclusively in this thread)
I do agree with those that say Minecraft makes more sense as a stage/assist than as a character (e.g., mostly about the world/crafting, mostly first person, avatar, etc), but I wouldn't say that's passive aggressive--just my view given what I know about Minecraft. There's precedent with Monster Hunter, and when I compare the two, it makes sense for them both. I'm not saying Steve can't be a character--but Minecraft is a series where it would make the most sense to be a stage, to me.

I've seen a lot attacking fans, rather than the characters, in this thread particularly--wanting Banjo fans to shut up, just mentioning them is considered derailing the conversation, passion for a character being considered "overboard", etc. I've seen that--a lot. Which is why I say it's subjective, we only read the posts that we see, and in reality there's a bit of both. All I can say is whenever I come on, all of the talk is positivity about Steve, Steve in all the lists. Which is fine--but it does create an incongruity between the love I see and the perceived backlash that I don't.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Rosalina wearing a shirt and jeans with a guitar as opposed to a floaty cosmic dress is hilarious and awesome and i'm mad it was cut.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Rosalina wearing a shirt and jeans with a guitar as opposed to a floaty cosmic dress is hilarious and awesome and i'm mad it was cut.
I want a clear version of that picture because I really like the way it looks on her. Would be great if Nintendo hears feedback about the outfit and somehow implements it into a future Mario game. :)

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
If we got an SMT character, it'll probably be a Persona character, for the same reasons why we got Cloud.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Well you got SMT in there.
And that's my jam.
View attachment 167130
While i haven't dabbled too much on Shin Megami Tensei... I really would love to have any kind of Atlus representation on smash... it may be a company of niche titles... but it have give me a lot of teh most amazing niche titles ive played through the ages.

And while seeing some of the Shin megami tensei IV footage, i'm interested in the STMV one... or at least i would if i knew anything about it XD

Last edited:

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
If we got an SMT character, it'll probably be a Persona character, for the same reasons why we got Cloud.
I'd be cool with that personally, as I enjoy both the core SMT games and the Persona games. I also think that if they can't make Jack Frost playable for whatever reason, that he could make for a pretty cool Assist Trophy, especially if he was teamed up with Pyro Jack.

Either way, SMT representation in Smash would be amazing.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I'd be cool with that personally, as I enjoy both the core SMT games and the Persona games. I also think that if they can't make Jack Frost playable for whatever reason, that he could make for a pretty cool Assist Trophy, especially if he was teamed up with Pyro Jack.

Either way, SMT representation in Smash would be amazing.
Tbh

Putting Jack Frost over a protag like Demifield, Joker or Raidou would be like using a Chocobo or Moogle over Cloud

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
While i haven't dabbled too much on Shin Megami Tensei... I really would love to have any kind of Atlus representation on smash... it may be a company of niche titles... but it have give me a lot of teh most amazing niche titles ive played through the ages.

And while seeing some of the Shin megami tensei IV footage, i'm interested in the STMV one... or at least i would if i knew anything about it XD
All you need to know about SMT is that it's fun, but challenging and it's got stories that are super unique and a bit dark.

What? What do you mean?
Lol, we both got Demi-friend avatars.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
I would **** myself laughing so hard if this “goku” got into smash just to piss off dbz fans.
No need for the quotations around “Goku”; Nintendo’s Goku is Goku. DB’s Son Goku is not the only Goku and all Goku’s are based on Sun Wukong.

Same goes for Naruto’s Son Goku. Different character, same myth.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
We got Cloud because Sakurai wanted to add a Final Fantasy and Cloud was the most requested one. No one forced Sakurai to pick Cloud.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Tbh

Putting Jack Frost over a protag like Demifield, Joker or Raidou would be like using a Chocobo or Moogle over Cloud
True, I do see your point, and it does make perfect sense. I just want to see him show up in some fashion, as he has always been one of my favorite demons and represents the "Atlus Faithful" as its mascot.

I suppose an alternate way for him to appear could be in a main SMT rep's moveset as a summonable demon, possibly with Alice, Pixie and Cu Chulainn if they were to be tied to Special Moves in particular. Use the most popular demons from the series in their moveset, of which Jack Frost definitely is among them.

I just would like Jack Frost to show up in some fashion. :lol:

Chrono.

Tbh

I mostly agree, but at the same time, at least Jack Frost is an actual fighter and would make a marginal amount of more sense than a Chocobo or Moogle or Slime.

He's more comparable to Pikachu.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
We got Cloud because Sakurai wanted to add a Final Fantasy and Cloud was the most requested one. No one forced Sakurai to pick Cloud.
Uh, he didn't say that someone forced Sakurai to pick Cloud.

He's saying a Persona protagonist is more popular than an SMT one, which, granted, is true, albeit a cynical way to tie these 2 franchises together as they're considered different subseries rather than one being a spinoff of another.

Though if Sakurai was aware of SMT, which I honestly doubt he is considering it's way darker than anything Sakurai's into, and wanted a SMT protagonist that represented the flagship franchise, then I can only see him picking either Kazuya or Demi-fiend.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
All you need to know about SMT is that it's fun, but challenging and it's got stories that are super unique and a bit dark.
I meant.. i don't know anything about SMTV.... and probably you neither.. since welll... nobody knows anything about that game outside of that is happening sometime?

MainJPW

M.T.A
How many stages have a Tornado gimmick? Pirate Ship has that Cyclone so I guess that’s close enough.

Oh yeah, that’s right. Hyrule Castle.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I meant.. i don't know anything about SMTV.... and probably you neither.. since welll... nobody knows anything about that game outside of that is happening sometime?
Well, I dunno about Gameplay, but Atlus JRPGs are usually fun.

As for the tone of the series, we just saw a guy and his friend get eaten alive by demons in a nuked Japan so... pretty safe to assume we aint gonna be starting the story on a happy note.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom