• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Hey, you can't have true mugen WITHOUT everyone from every video game series. :4pacman:
At the rate we're going, the next Smash game will give us our dream match-ups:

Mario VS. Sonic VS. Spider Man

Ganondorf VS. the entire cast of Family Guy

Sanic VS. Weegee VS. AoStH Robotnik

Master Chief VS. Phil Swift

(Insert popular Youtuber here) VS. Sans

Shaq VS. Rainbow Dash

Reggie VS. Thanos

Garfield VS. Anime Waifu #75

The future is bright, my friends. :yeahboi:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I disagree with the attempts to make Smash Bros. MUGEN. Master Chief has no place in a Nintendo All-Stars fighting game, the character hasn't earned the opportunity. All-Star has come to welcome 3rd party characters, including Cloud who remains the most foreign to Smash at the time of his inclusion, but all of our 3rd parties have had history with Nintendo.

:ultsonic: - Old rival, newfound success on Nintendo platforms.
:ultsnake: - Multiple inhanced ports to Nintendo systems, origin game on NES.
:ultmegaman: - Has a long history of mainline and spinoff titles on Nintendo systems.
:ultpacman: - See above.
:ultryu: - Also see Mega Man
:ultcloud: - Final Fantasy's origins on Nintendo systems, post-inclusion will receive a port.
:ultsimon:, :ultrichter: - Series originated on Nintendo systems, history of titles on systems.

As you can see, at most Cloud has the least connection, but even then Final Fantasy's history is linked to Nintendo. Master Chief has not received a title on a Nintendo system. Rumored echo fighters fall under their respective characters like :ultrichter:.

Sakurai is not a corporate head. He would have to reach out to Microsoft and break precedent to include Chief.

EDIT: See below for Bayonetta.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I disagree with the attempts to make Smash Bros. MUGEN. Master Chief has no place in a Nintendo All-Stars fighting game, the character hasn't earned the opportunity. All-Star has come to welcome 3rd party characters, including Cloud who remains the most foreign to Smash at the time of his inclusion, but all of our 3rd parties have had history with Nintendo.

:ultsonic: - Old rival, newfound success on Nintendo platforms.
:ultsnake: - Multiple inhanced ports to Nintendo systems, origin game on NES.
:ultmegaman: - Has a long history of mainline and spinoff titles on Nintendo systems.
:ultpacman: - See above.
:ultryu: - Also see Mega Man
:ultcloud: - Final Fantasy's origins on Nintendo systems, post-inclusion will receive a port.
:ultsimon:, :ultrichter: - Series originated on Nintendo systems, history of titles on systems.

As you can see, at most Cloud has the least connection, but even then Final Fantasy's history is linked to Nintendo. Master Chief has not received a title on a Nintendo system. Rumored echo fighters fall under their respective characters like :ultrichter:.

Sakurai is not a corporate head. He would have to reach out to Microsoft and break precedent to include Chief.
Um... Isn't :ultbayonetta: a third party too?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, looks like even FlintOfMother3 has gotten in on the Bowsette craze, though to his credit his own take on that design actually isn't generic in artstyle.

https://www.deviantart.com/flintofmother3/art/Bowsette-765717133

Hey, you can't have true mugen WITHOUT everyone from every video game series. :4pacman:
And movie series, and Tv show, and Comic book, and Meme..
In all seriousness though, I can understand why video game characters only is the one true rule (besides Nintendo console appearances). If anyone could be allowed, the gulf between the characters that people want to support would only increase, and most companies would be much more of a hassle to deal with (especially Marvel and Disney).

Besides, Zeeky H. Bomb would be so broken that even :ultbayonetta: would blush.

Um... Isn't :ultbayonetta: a third party too?
Bayo is in a weird place. She used to be a third party, but pretty much became second party, due to her sequels being exclusive to Nintendo consoles.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Bayo is in a weird place. She used to be a third party, but pretty much became second party, due to her sequels being exclusive to Nintendo consoles.
Lots of external games are exclusive to a Nintendo console.

Very few were saved by Nintendo stepping in to take over funding and publishing.

Bayonetta is very similar in situation to Xenoblade at the moment.

D

Deleted member

Bayonetta is still 3rd party. The rights are owned by Sega, and the games are developed by Platinum. The first game was re-released on PC without any acknowledgement or mention of Nintendo, which would have to be given if the series brand was first-party and under their name.

I still stand by what I've said before: Bayo is as first-party to Nintendo as Sonic the Hedgehog is. If funding the games make her a Nintendo property now, I guess Street Fighter is now a Sony title thanks to them helping V's funding.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I disagree with the attempts to make Smash Bros. MUGEN. Master Chief has no place in a Nintendo All-Stars fighting game, the character hasn't earned the opportunity.
Oh, are we playing the "characters have to deserve a spot before being in" game?
This statement of yours is your opinion and that's fine, but that goes completely against Sakurai's one rule of just be from a video game. It lets all possibilities take place, first, second, or third party.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Casual reminder that Snake debuted on the MSX, and as far as Kojima was concerned, the NES games didn't exist.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
76 more days to go.

They say Avengers: Infinity War is the crossover of all time. Well they haven't seen Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Am I the only one who sees this game as the Infinity War of games?
bruh I've been making this joke since the E3.

But since everyone's comparing the two casts, I guess I'll toss my hat into the ring as well.

Miyamoto- Stan Lee/Jack Kirby (Created a lot of these characters)
Sakurai- Kevin Feige (Currently in Charge)
:ultmario:- Iron Man (Was the one who put Nintendo/The MCU on the map)
:ultrob:- Jarvis/Vision (^ Helped with that ^)
:ultluigi:- Warmachine (Iron Man's/Mario's best friend)
:ultpeach:- Pepper Potts (Iron Man's/Mario's love interest)
:ultwario:- Ironmonger (Greedy *******)
:ultbowser:- Mandarin (only Iron Man villain I can remember who actively kidnapped Pepper Potts in the MCU IIRC)
:ultlink:- Captain America (Master Sword sends OOT Link seven years into the future, wheras Captain America gets put on ice at the end of the first movie and wakes up decades later. Also, both get shipped with ****ing everyone ayy lmao)
:ultzelda:- Oh crap I forgot the name of the love interest of the first movie
:ultganondorf:- Red Skull (King of Evil, and you don't get more evil then Nazi expies)
:ultkirby:- Thor (Hi-Jump Powerup)
:ultmetaknight:- Heimdall (Very Serious, Has a Sword)
:ultkingdedede:- Loki (The Fan Favorite Villain)
:ultdk:- Incredible Hulk (The Muscle of the initial Avengers/Smash roster. Also debuted around the same time as Mario/Iron Man)
:ultkrool:- Abomination (was the only hulk villain used so far)
:ultsamus:- Black Widow (Both were the only female in the initial Avengers/Smash roster)
:ultfox:- Hawkeye (Overshadowed by the rest of the initial Avengers/Smash roster)
:ultolimar:- Nick Fury (Seems to fight exclusively through his leadership of a military)

I was going to do the Fire Emblem crew or Pokemon as the GOTG because the GOTG has a lot of their own characters with a big family dynamic, but they don't quite connect the same on an individual level. Whoever isn't the GOTG would probably be the X-men, though.

:ultrosalina:- Scarlet Witch (Magical Girls. Also, is a secondary character in literally everything these days lol)
:ultvillager:- Ant Man (you're not sure why this guy is here mucking about with the rest of the MCU, but you're glad he's there as well)
:ultisabelle:- The Wasp (We really shouldn't be shipping this character with Ant Man/Villager, but we're going to anyway because it's funny)
:ultshulk:- Doctor Strange (Somewhat minor character at first that was catapulted into significance)
:ultsonic:- Spiderman (The reaction to Spiderman in Civil War was very similar to Sonic in Brawl tbh. Also, they're both snarky)

Thanos can be either Tabuu (tried to kill off the entire cast in Subspace Emissary) or Master Hand (*snaps fingers*)

:ultbayonetta:- Female character with a thematic thesis of sexualization as empowerment. She-Hulk, maybe?
:ultfalcon:- Male fan favorite that MCU never wound up capitalizing on.
:ultcloud:- Despite his significance to Smash, IDK how his significance could translate into the MCU
:ultdoc:- Iron Man but a mundane-non-management-yet-respected job position (like a lawyer)
:ulticeclimbers:- Character the MCU fanbase doesn't care much for, but when the MCU removed them, people were disappointed-- :thinkingemoji: hmm...
:ultinkling:- @ me when Kamala Khan gets into the MCU, then we'll talk.
:ultlittlemac:- Not quite sure what this guy brings to the Super Smash Bros table, so I can't really think of an equivalent character for him.
:ultgnw:- Character who was in the MCU before Iron Man and the Hulk.
:ultness:- Pretty much every Marvel superhero who isn't Spiderman or the X-men was a character no one recognized until their MCU debut, so in a way they're all kind of like Ness in that way.
:ultpacman:- Despite his significance to Smash, IDK how his significance could translate into the MCU
:ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena:- There's gotta be someone in the Marvel Universe whose evil twin is just an edgy anti-hero and also has a relationship with a goddess that people argue over whether she's supposed to be the main character's boss, significant other, best friend, sibling, parent or combination of the above.
:ultridley::ultdarksamus:- WHERE THE BLACK WIDOW MOVIE AT?
:ultryu:- @ me when Citizen Kane joins the MCU lol
:ultmegaman:- Would be equivalent to a DC Superhero, as the DCEU has been getting panned recently to the point where some people have made the suggestion that Marvel buy DC. Probably Superman as people haven't been happy with the way.
:ultsnake:- Would be equivalent to a DC Superhero, as the DCEU has been getting panned recently to the point where some people have made the suggestion that Marvel buy DC. Probably Batman, as they're both brooding and disillusioned.
:ultsimon::ultrichter:- Despite their significance to Smash, IDK how their significance could translate into the MCU
:ultwiifittrainer:- @ me when the MCU bring in a joke character that people start finding attractive.
:ultyoshi:- MCU doesn't have an initial avengers roster that started out as Tony Stark's pet horse and spun-off into his own series, and also no one jokes about any of the Avengers committing Tax Fraud.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
The one and only rule for a character to join Smash Bros. is to be from a video game.
Relevancy doesn't matter.
Nintendo-specific appearances don't matter.
Whether a character "deserves" [wheeze] a spot doesn't matter.
Literally any character who's first appearance was in a video game is completely fair game. End of story.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
User was warned for this post
The one and only rule for a character to join Smash Bros. is to be from a video game.
Literally any character who's first appearance was in a video game is completely fair game. End of story.
Insert Comment about Disney not being a Video Game company.
Insert some Spot*** comment
insert comment about Third parties killing Smash because Muh Nintendo Games

Mod edit - Langauge

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I agree with everything but the Nintendo appearances bit. No character on the roster has currently broken it and it has been mentioned by Sakurai in the past that it matters at least a little bit.

To each their own, though. :) I know some people feel very differently on this.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
I'd like to publicly apologize to all the Incineroar fans for trashtalking Incineroar. After beating Pokemon Sun on my 3ds with a fully evolved Incineroar, i kinda want him in Smash now.
I also want to apologize for my troll-ish behavior, and for being a sorry excuse of a person.
I deserve to be one of the most hated people on this forum.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Cue a dozen replies about "but :ultroy::ultrob::ultlucario::ultmiifighters: etc".

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Who represents Venom in the middle of any of these analogies?

Bayonetta is still 3rd party. The rights are owned by Sega, and the games are developed by Platinum. The first game was re-released on PC without any acknowledgement or mention of Nintendo, which would have to be given if the series brand was first-party and under their name.

I still stand by what I've said before: Bayo is as first-party to Nintendo as Sonic the Hedgehog is. If funding the games make her a Nintendo property now, I guess Street Fighter is now a Sony title thanks to them helping V's funding.
So, I guess the best compromise is that she should be treated like a third party as they were in the NES days, such as Mega Man and Pac-Man, and not some weird case that only gets Nintendo entries every once in a while (looking at you, Sora!).

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I'd like to publicly apologize to all the Incineroar fans for trashtalking Incineroar. After beating Pokemon Sun on my 3ds with a fully evolved Incineroar, i kinda want him in Smash now.
Yes you do but we forgive you anyway. :p

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
While I would agree that being from a video game is the only hard and fast rule--I wouldn't say the other stuff doesn't matter. Relevancy helps, being on Nintendo in some form definitely helps, and only Sakurai gets to decide who deserves a spot--we can speculate on what factors may go into that, though.

D

Deleted member

So, I guess the best compromise is that she should be treated like a third party as they were in the NES days, such as Mega Man and Pac-Man, and not some weird case that only gets Nintendo entries every once in a while (looking at you, Sora!).
Exactly my thoughts, thank you. :)

By the way, do we have to spoiler-tab everything Verge has talked about so far? I had something I wanted to say on one of his things, but I'm not sure how the thread is supposed to operate now, lol.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
While I would agree that being from a video game is the only hard and fast rule--I wouldn't say the other stuff doesn't matter. Relevancy helps, being on Nintendo in some form definitely helps, and only Sakurai gets to decide who deserves a spot--we can speculate on what factors may go into that, though.
That boosts their accuracy of being in the game, not whether or not they're eligible to be in whether they are or aren't.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
I also want to apologize for my troll-ish behavior.
Well, at least. tis' good ending for all everyone, and we forgave you for what happened on last wednesday.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I agree with everything but the Nintendo appearances bit. No character on the roster has currently broken it and it has been mentioned by Sakurai in the past that it matters at least a little bit.

To each their own, though. :) I know some people feel very differently on this.
Yep, he views it as a "common courtesy," so I guess he focuses on characters that have been on a Nintendo platform at least once or twice, though idk if it's required.

What gets me is when people start bringing up the "Nintendo relevancy"/ "Nintendo history" argument, when Sakurai just mentioned being on a Nintendo platform and having gaming history :S

(I mean, for Nintendo relevancy, having their game/series on a Nintendo system seems good enough)

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So I haven't read much from the previous pages but I did see some discussion about "body type" a while back.

We've got to remember that the male and female Wii Fit Trainers are able to share the same skeleton. They may not have the exact same body types but they're still close enough. The issue with Isabelle is that she has wildy different proportions. A character being a little too tall or a little too skinny shouldn't make a difference. It's moreso an arm length compared to body length, or head length compared to leg length kind of thing. I think Black Shadow could still fit over Captain Falcon, although the Black Knight over Ike is looking way less likely.

D

Deleted member

So what series that are in Smash currently would you like to try?

I want to try Kirby and Final Fantasy.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Debating on pre-ordering a Smash Edition switch for 360 or buying a refurbished switch for 275 and getting the game for 60. Refurbished + physical game is cheaper but for only 30 dollars more I can get smash themed joycons. The only downside is the game is digital and I don't trust Nintendo with digital **** due to lack of unified accounts.

D

Deleted member

Been meaning to try out Final Fantasy for years and I plan on jumping in with my copy of FFXV on Steam some point next year. I'm also kinda curious about Castlevania, but I'm not 100% sold on playing them yet. MGS is another one I would like to try as well.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Who represents Venom in the middle of any of these analogies?

I want to give Metroid another go. I have Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion and Prime 3 all incomplete and I'd like to give them another go before I kick the bucket.

After Smash comes out, I'm hoping to find a copy of the Megaman Legacy Collection for the Switch for cheap.

Last edited:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Debating on pre-ordering a Smash Edition switch for 360 or buying a refurbished switch for 275 and getting the game for 60. Refurbished + physical game is cheaper but for only 30 dollars more I can get smash themed joycons. The only downside is the game is digital and I don't trust Nintendo with digital **** due to lack of unified accounts.
I'd pay 30 usd more for a brand new console with smash themed decorations, rather than buying refurbished.

Iridium

Smash Hero

For series I haven't tried, Xenoblade Chronicles, Star Fox, Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy. Oh, and Street Fighter. I'm a sad case.

Edit: And Metal Gear Solid.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I can't believe the leak thread closed due to the massive lack of any good leaks...

Anyways, I'm mad that my weeks are messed up now. I've only got School and Work dominating most of it and I can't really take time to like do things... Kinda sad tbh. I guess I'll try to watch the new Season of Castlvania when it comes out and possibly try to get myself into a screening of Venom... Hopefully...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Metal Gear, but I'm mostly just interested in Ghost Babel, Snake's Revenge and RULES OF NATURE. Maybe the whole Phantom Pain package too.

There's also Metroid, I only dipped my toes into it with a rental of Prime 1. Still need to get to Splatoon. Might play Mother, Xenoblade and some Animal Crossing at some point, too.

As for Fire Emblem, I'll probably stick with the GBA entries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom