• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I wonder if they're going to sell a Meta Ridley amiibo later down the line.
Part of me actually wants Red/Green as the actual amiibo.
Like outside of Kotobukiya statues and Nendoroids, you don't exactly get anything of the in-game trainers themselves.
While I think it'd be nice to get a Ivysaur or Squirtle amiibo, I'm hoping we get a Trainer one.
I'd definitely buy the amiibo for both Red and Leaf if they sold those, but Ivysaur and Squirtle are more important to me. The best case scenerio, imo, is if they made separate amiibo for both of the trainers and their pokemon.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
So...looks like things will be relatively quiet here for awhile. I think we'll still get 2 directs, just with not as much to show wrt characters (based on Sakurai's comments).

Last edited:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
We have reached 48 fighters featured from the blog. 71 days left and 24 and more fighters left to be featured.

Last edited:

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
I wonder if they're going to sell a Meta Ridley amiibo later down the line.I'd definitely buy the amiibo for both Red and Leaf if they sold those, but Ivysaur and Squirtle are more important to me. The best case scenerio, imo, is if they made separate amiibo for both of the trainers and their pokemon.
Oh man, I hadn't considered that, but it totally is plausible that we could see a Meta Ridley amiibo. I'd have to buy that one if it were announced, as I really love how he looked in Metroid Prime and his render in Ultimate is fantastic.

Depending on when Red, Leaf, Squirtle and Ivysaur are released, I would like to purchase those as well. At this rate, I'm going to end up with a lot of amiibo. :laugh:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I like the 3 per company thing. Heres what I'd pick.

SEGA
Sonic
Bayonetta
Gus (Crazy Taxi) (Idk how itll work, but Crazy Taxi needs more love. Use AiAi as a substitute if not.)

KONAMI
Snake
Simon
Frogger

NAMCO
Pac Man
Heihachi
Dig Dug

SQUARE
Cloud
Geno
2B

CAPCOM
MegaMan
Ryu
Dante

MICROSOFT
Banjo & Kazooie
Master Chief
Steve

BETHESDA
Doomguy
Dovakhiin
Vault Boy/Fallout character

UBISOFT
Rayman
Ezio
Sam Fisher
Sega:
Sonic
Bayonetta (?)
Jack Frost (hee-ho)

Konami:
Snake
Richter (I like Rondo of Blood more, so sue me)
Sparkster (worldwide focus means Goemon's presently dead in the water, so he's the next best thing)

Namco:
Pac-Man
Heihachi
Klonoa

Square:
Cloud
Geno
Slime

Capcom:
Mega Man
Ryu
Morrigan

Microsoft:
Banjo-Kazooie
Fulgore
Rash

Ubisoft:
Rayman
Ezio
Jade

We have reached 48 fighters featured from the blog. 71 days left and 24 and more fighters left to be featured.
>24 confirmed fighters left

The final countdown begins...

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So...looks like things will be relatively quiet here for awhile. I think we'll still get 2 directs, just with not as much to show wrt characters (based on Sakurai's comments).
Honestly I'm thinking a Lucina/Robin style reveal in October (69: Incineroar and 60e: Ken) and then a Smash Direct in November (70: Steve, 71: Elma, 72: Geno, 36e: Dixie Kong, 38e: Shadow and 54e: Medusa).

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Honestly I'm thinking a Lucina/Robin style reveal in October and then a Smash Direct in November.
And I'm 99.99% it'll be Ken and Incineroar which fits the box theory then for any other character revealed in November it'll be too late for them to be put on the box. I also think this kills Steve's chances since he's a character you would really want to be featured on the box since it would attract a lot of younger kids to the game.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Wow, this thread has been quite inactive lately. It seems like the leak thread stole some thunder.

In that case, let’s discuss character unlocks! Who are you planning to unlock first, or are you going to do a traditional unlock “in order” routine? What about doing streamlined or traditional?

I’m not sure what I would do but I like the idea of unlocking my mains, newcomers, and THEN the rest of the roster...but I also love the idea of unlocking in order if I can.
Considering the sheer number of character unlocks this time, I think I'm going to let the characters come in whatever order they come in, unless there's specific things you have to do.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So what are everyone's final predictions for base? Mine are

Unique fighters:
69: Incineroar
70: Steve or Banjo-Kazooie
71: Elma
72: Geno

Echo Fighters:
36e: Dixie Kong
38e: Shadow
54e: Medusa
60e: Ken

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Considering the sheer number of character unlocks this time, I think I'm going to let the characters come in whatever order they come in, unless there's specific things you have to do.
I think we'll be collecting trophies akin to the Subspace level in Brawl and then use a squad of 3/5 to face off against the collected trophies in a pseudo-Squad Strike.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
In that case, let’s discuss character unlocks! Who are you planning to unlock first, or are you going to do a traditional unlock “in order” routine? What about doing streamlined or traditional?

I’m not sure what I would do but I like the idea of unlocking my mains, newcomers, and THEN the rest of the roster...but I also love the idea of unlocking in order if I can.
I haven’t decided in how I want to unlock characters yet - I guess I need more info on how the unlocking style will work. Hopefully it’s more interesting than just “get a random character unlocked every 10 multiplayer battles.”

If the amiibo thing is true (which makes sense and should be), I’m not going for it though. I got a lot of the Sm4sh amiibo, but I’d rather unlock thrm as I go in game. Plus, I’d hope that we’re getting new versions of the characters now that the poses are different.

But I’m gonna have fun unlocking various characters though. I can’t wait to see most of the new changes.

Which characters are you all most excited to play?
For me: :ultlink::ultpokemontrainer::ultzelda::ultyounglink::ultmewtwo::ultridley::ultkrool::ultganondorf::ultwolf::ultisabelle::ultdaisy::ultike:

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I have "OG 8 Privilege" :yoshi:
And then it turns out the base roster in Ultimate is :ultmario::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultsimon:

Hey, Sakurai never said the base roster would be the Original 8, just that it would be as small as the original roster.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
And then it turns out the base roster in Ultimate is :ultmario::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultsimon:

Hey, Sakurai never said the base roster would be the Original 8, just that it would be as small as the original roster.
Bayo still sticks out like a sore thumb among the 3rd parties.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

It will be.

When he said, the OG 8 were presented.
On the menu, in the middle circle, it is the original 8 that appear and only them.

Sorry buddy :p

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I haven’t decided in how I want to unlock characters yet - I guess I need more info on how the unlocking style will work. Hopefully it’s more interesting than just “get a random character unlocked every 10 multiplayer battles.”

If the amiibo thing is true (which makes sense and should be), I’m not going for it though. I got a lot of the Sm4sh amiibo, but I’d rather unlock thrm as I go in game. Plus, I’d hope that we’re getting new versions of the characters now that the poses are different.

But I’m gonna have fun unlocking various characters though. I can’t wait to see most of the new changes.

For me: :ultlink::ultpokemontrainer::ultzelda::ultyounglink::ultmewtwo::ultridley::ultkrool::ultganondorf::ultwolf::ultisabelle::ultdaisy:
I'm most excited to play :ultridley::ultkrool::ultsimon::ultpichu::ultsnake:.
I'd also say :ultdarksamus: but being an echo I already have an idea of what she'll be like. Other veterans I've already been spoiled playing them in the other games. Pichu and Snake, however, I'm just ecstatic to see again.

Of course, I just can't wait to unlock the entire roster and be able to play as everyone.

Only 1 Nintendo character but 2 from Konami, Sega and Capcom?

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The thing great about this game the most is the supposed heroes vs. villains/rivals theme in Spirits if rumors are to be true. :grin:

:ultmario:vs.:ultbowser:
:ultdk:vs.:ultkrool:
:ultlink:vs.:ultganondorf:
:ultsamus:/:ultzss:vs.:ultridley:
:ultyoshi:vs.:ultbowserjr:
:ultkirby:vs.:ultkingdedede:
:ultfox:vs.:ultwolf:
:ultpikachu:vs.:ultmewtwo:

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
You left out :ultpacman::troll:
I knew I would forget someone.

Switch out Bayo for PAC-MAN then.

To be honest, having the base roster be Mario + all the classic 3rd Parties makes sense, under the assumption that they're what Casuals are buying the game for. It also highlights their presence, which the 3rd Party companies would like.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
For me: :ultlink::ultpokemontrainer::ultzelda::ultyounglink::ultmewtwo::ultridley::ultkrool::ultganondorf::ultwolf::ultisabelle::ultdaisy::ultike:
:ultinkling: has been my planned main from day one, and nothing so far has changed that.
She just looks so unique in her mechanics, and even her simple jump animation is full of character. I love Splatoon so, so much.

I'm also excited for :ultisabelle::ultdaisy::ultridley:. And even though I wasn't a fan before, after listening to Gangplank Galleon a thousand times i've warmed up to :ultkrool:.

On the veterans side i'm really hyped for :ultpokemontrainer:. And I can't wait to test out :ultsnake::ultpichu::ulticeclimbers::ultwolf:.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192

Agreed on everything regarding unlocks, amiibo and checking out all the characters. This is how I feel 100%.

Based on how I feel at this time, I feel most excited to play as the following:
:ultmewtwo::ultmegaman::ultpeach::ultridley::ultinkling::ultsnake::ultsimon::ultisabelle::ultwolf::ultike::ultganondorf::ultlink:

Not necessarily in that order, as I feel that changes almost every time I think about this question. I'm actually excited about the possibility of making :ultlink: a main again since Melee for instance!

I'd actually laugh if he blindsided us like that, no lie. :laugh:

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
"Bowser Jr."

Ugh, I have a feeling this is gonna kill me these days...
From a purely visual standpoint, having Bowser Jr. makes a good stand-in for Baby Bowser (since they're pretty much physically identical).

Noipoi

Howdy!
"Bowser Jr."

Ugh, I have a feeling this is gonna kill me these days...
You telling me you don't remember the epic, dramatic and incredibly brutal fight between Yoshi and Bowser Jr after the credits of Mario Sunshine?
Where Bowser Jr confronted Yoshi after discovering he ate his mother, only to find out Yoshi was framed?
It was the first time blood was shown in a Mario game. It was a huge deal I dunno how you missed it...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Hey guys something I came up with for fun.

Imagine Super Smash Bros. 64 but with the villains/rivals instead. :p

King Boo(Unlockable):ultbowser::ultkrool::ultganondorf::ultridley:Black Shadow(Unlockable)
Porky Minch(Unlockable) Kamek:ultkingdedede::ultwolf:Meowth Mewtwo(Unlockable)

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
From a purely visual standpoint, having Bowser Jr. makes a good stand-in for Baby Bowser (since they're pretty much physically identical).
I've made this analogy before. Bowser Jr. standing in for Baby Bowser is like Melissa Bergman standing in for Mother Brain. Yes, it CAN work, but it's comes off as insulting

KMDP

Smash Legend
Hey guys something I came up with for fun.

Imagine Super Smash Bros. 64 but with the villains/rivals instead. :p

King Boo(Unlockable):ultbowser::ultkrool::ultganondorf::ultridley:Black Shadow(Unlockable)
Porky Minch(Unlockable) Kamek:ultkingdedede::ultwolf:Meowth Mewtwo(Unlockable)
The Dark World Version of Smash 64.
---
Here's something fun, based on my previous post about the initial roster for Smash Ultimate, what would your ideal initial roster be (strictly using confirmed characters)?

Mine would be: :ultmario::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultlucario::ultmarth::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultcloud:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I've made this analogy before. Bowser Jr. standing in for Baby Bowser is like Melissa Bergman standing in for Mother Brain. Yes, it CAN work, but it's comes off as insulting
And I'd argue against that, because Melissa Bergman may function the same as Mother Brain, but they look nothing alike. Baby Bowser and Bowser Jr., while not exactly 1:1, are much much closer to the point that one could stand in for the other.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
As someone who played the SNES Yoshi’s Island all the time as a kid, I have to agree with you there.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The Dark World Version of Smash 64.
---
Here's something fun, based on my previous post about the initial roster for Smash Ultimate, what would your ideal initial roster be (strictly using confirmed characters)?

Mine would be: :ultmario::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultlucario::ultmarth::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultcloud:
These would be mine.

:ultmario::ultdk::ultsamus:/:ultzss::ultkirby::ultbowser::ultkrool::ultridley::ultkingdedede:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
And I'd argue against that, because Melissa Bergman may function the same as Mother Brain, but they look nothing alike. Baby Bowser and Bowser Jr., while not exactly 1:1, are much much closer to the point that one could stand in for the other.
Whereas Melissa and Mother Brain are the same characters that look different, Bowser Jr. and Baby Bowser AREN'T the same characters that DO look the same. Standard still applies

Also Baby Bowser never even implemented the Koopa Clown car, not even in Partners in Time...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Whereas Melissa and Mother Brain are the same characters that look different, Bowser Jr. and Baby Bowser AREN'T the same characters that DO look the same. Standard still applies

Also Baby Bowser never even implemented the Koopa Clown car, not even in Partners in Time...
How will you feel about this if the rumor is true though?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
This is how I feel about Ness standing in for Ninten. But, I don't think Baby Bowser should be playable.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Considering the standard relevance/popularity/importance arguments, I’d take...
:ultmario::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultinkling::ultmarth::ultsamus::ultsonic::ultkirby:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
How will you feel about this if the rumor is true though?
If Bowser Jr. is meant to represent Yoshi's villain? That would REALLY lower Sakurai's credibility in my eyes as he has the idea in mind but doesn't want to follow it through to the end and just make a lazy shortcut for Yoshi. I'd rather Yoshi not have the villain rep than that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom