• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Wow, this thread has been quite inactive lately. It seems like the leak thread stole some thunder.

In that case, let’s discuss character unlocks! Who are you planning to unlock first, or are you going to do a traditional unlock “in order” routine? What about doing streamlined or traditional?

I’m not sure what I would do but I like the idea of unlocking my mains, newcomers, and THEN the rest of the roster...but I also love the idea of unlocking in order if I can.
There's a lot of characters I would say, but I guess :ultsimon: (I really need to try him).

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Imagine spending an upward of $1,000+ dollars to unlock almost 70 characters instantly instead of exploring the games features and gaining more as you progress past natural checklists and non-character unlocks.

:4ness:yeah thats the cost of getting all smash amiibo (excluding extra variants of a single character)

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Id love to unlock K Rool and Snake ASAP, but I doubt their amiibos will be dropped December 7th. Other than that, Ill unlock things naturally I guess.
Luckily for me I won't be getting this game or a Switch until I move out next year. The K. Rool amiibo should be out by then.

Even then there will be the Ridley amiibo that'll be out around Ultimate's release.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Wow, this thread has been quite inactive lately. It seems like the leak thread stole some thunder.

In that case, let’s discuss character unlocks! Who are you planning to unlock first, or are you going to do a traditional unlock “in order” routine? What about doing streamlined or traditional?

I’m not sure what I would do but I like the idea of unlocking my mains, newcomers, and THEN the rest of the roster...but I also love the idea of unlocking in order if I can.
I'll probably just go the natural way and unlock everyone as I play. Sure, I'll miss out on having my most used from prior games immediately available, but I'm really looking forward to seeing the CSS fill up little by little, as the whole picture starts getting filled with the missing pieces, like a jigsaw puzzle. That's part of the appeal for me personally, and has stayed with me since 64. :love:

If I decide to play through Ultimate a second time on someone else's system though, I may go the amiibo route with as many of them as possible, assuming they instantly unlock as soon as you scan them in, so we can get straight into the action. It would be nice to have multiple options to unlocking characters quickly for those of us who don't enjoy unlocking everything in the game.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
I actually want Snake and King K. Rool amiibo, I already preordered ridley amiibo on Amazon. And if possible, I'll like ultimate version of all smash 4 amiibos.

Iridium

Smash Hero
And now that I think about it, we haven't seen a Snake or Pokémon Trainer amiibo either! I would like to see those.

Edit: I know I haven't.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I like the 3 per company thing. Heres what I'd pick.

SEGA
Sonic
Bayonetta
Gus (Crazy Taxi) (Idk how itll work, but Crazy Taxi needs more love. Use AiAi as a substitute if not.)

KONAMI
Snake
Simon
Frogger

NAMCO
Pac Man
Heihachi
Dig Dug

SQUARE
Cloud
Geno
2B

CAPCOM
MegaMan
Ryu
Dante

MICROSOFT
Banjo & Kazooie
Master Chief
Steve

BETHESDA
Doomguy
Dovakhiin
Vault Boy/Fallout character

UBISOFT
Rayman
Ezio
Sam Fisher
Sega/Atlus: Sonic, Bayonetta, Joker
Konami: Snake, Simon, Bill Rizer (unless I can pick Bomberman)
Namco: Pac-Man, Lloyd, Heihachi
Square/Disney: Cloud, Geno, Sora
Capcom: Mega Man, Ryu, Dante
Microsoft: Banjo & Kazooie, Conker, Steve (I'm assuming Master Chief is out due to not appearing on Nintendo)
Bethesda: Dovakhiin, Doomguy, Vault Boy
Ubisoft: Rayman, Ezio, Sam Fisher
Activision/Blizzard: Crash, Spyro, Tracer

I put in bold the characters I think are likely to happen. I don't think it's likely for all companies--and some companies I can see having a character pool of characters to choose from, others I'm not sure if they'll ever be in. Still has every unique character I want, though.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
A Ryu Hayabusa amiibo would actually be sick! I would buy it at least.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hmm, no update yet.

I was mostly pointing out Platinum doesn't own their franchises, so the context of the list that started this discussion actually gave four character to Sega and five for capcom. So studios like Platinum in that conext sorta ends up as "loopholes".
On that note, I've been wondering about something. Since Bayonetta isn't so much a Sega property anymore, does this make her a second party? Or some kind of weird class of its own?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I really hope that Squirtle and Ivysaur get their own amiibo, and maybe give Charizard a new one to go with it. I don't really expect them to squeeze all three monsters into the trainer amiibo, which is a shame since they're the real stars of the show.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Maybe I can't think of it well, but how would all three Pokémon and the Trainer fit on one amiibo anyway? Some stands, perhaps (I don't know)?

Edit: Yeah, probably wouldn't work.

Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079

Probably unlock everyone normally, especially if they are all in the order of entry to the series.
I've been with the series since 64, so it'd be extremely nostalgic to actually see the challengers go onto the roster like the order they were welcomed into the series.
(Part of the reason why I'm not crazy of Echoes' roster placements, but it's fine I guess.)

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Maybe I can't think of it well, but how would all three Pokémon and the Trainer fit on one amiibo anyway? Some stands, perhaps (I don't know)?
I see two possibilities here.
1) They just put the Pokemon Trainer on the amiibo without the pokemon (which would be a huge shame).
2) They make it a giant amiibo that costs extra, like that Giant Yoshi or Detective Pikachu.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm actually pretty excited for the new amiibo figures. I have every single one from Wii U/3DS, and am already hyped for all of the new ones to come out. I still can't believe I'll finally have a Snake amiibo.

If I really want to I'll just use the amiibo, but I guess that really depends on what I'm feeling like doing. There aren't any stages to unlock, so that's out of the running. Character unlocks (and hopefully trophies or something similar to them) will be something to keep me busy and playing all weekend. I already have been approved for the day off from work in advance, and I'm planning on having a party the day of the release (not at Midnight, literally on December 7th), so hopefully I'll find some way to unlock everybody by then.

I can't imagine I'm going to get a lot of sleep that day, and I'm 25. I'm just that excited about this game.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
As far as characters I could unlock with amiibo, I've got several: :ultbayonetta::ultbowser::ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultganondorf::ultike::ultinkling::ultlucas::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultmewtwo::ultness::ultpacman::ultpeach::ultrobin:ultrosalina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultryu::ultshulk::ultsonic::ulttoonlink::ultwiifittrainer::ultzelda::ultzss:

As for who I have preordered: :ultridley: & :ultwolf:. I plan to at least add :ultsnake::ultsimon::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultisabelle: to the collection, and I'll see how finances are for adding in the others. I like collecting the amiibo mostly because a lot of them don't have figures that are readily available for collecting purposes, which is what I like the amiibo more for than the functionality itself.

I have been a figure collector for a long while now, and amiibo certainly help to bring that out for me. :lol:

Vasculio

Smash Cadet
Still... i would love a DLC of Twilight Ganondorf. He will always be my fav out of all the incarnations

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I really hope that Squirtle and Ivysaur get their own amiibo, and maybe give Charizard a new one to go with it. I don't really expect them to squeeze all three monsters into the trainer amiibo, which is a shame since they're the real stars of the show.
Part of me actually wants Red/Green as the actual amiibo.
Like outside of Kotobukiya statues and Nendoroids, you don't exactly get anything of the in-game trainers themselves.
While I think it'd be nice to get a Ivysaur or Squirtle amiibo, I'm hoping we get a Trainer one.

But if anything, I could see them doing a three pack like they did with :ultduckhunt::ultgnw::ultrob:.
They'll probably do Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Red as one collection.

(Or they could just keep Charizard as the only one and kill that entire possibility and debacle.)

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
3 per company?

Sega: Sonic, Bayonetta, and Nights
Capcom: Mega Man, Ryu, and Monster Hunter
Nando: Pac-Man, Lloyd Irving, Nightmare
Square: Cloud, Chrono, and Lara Croft
Ubisoft: Rayman, Altaire, and Starlink Character
Bethesda: Dovahkin, Doomslayer, Corvo Attack/Emily Kaldwin
Microsoft: Banjo-Kazooie, Master Chief, and Fulgore

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Do you actually know that many kids? Or are you basing this statement off of limited interactions and internet stereotypes?

A close relative of mine is a school teacher and she tells me that Pokemon and Mario are very popular with them. More popular then when I was a kid, even, since I grew up during the dark "edgy is cool" days of the Gamecube.
Its all my little brother and his friends play

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

SEGA
Sonic
Bayonetta
Gus (Crazy Taxi) (Idk how itll work, but Crazy Taxi needs more love. Use AiAi as a substitute if not.)

KONAMI
Snake
Simon
Frogger

NAMCO
Pac Man
Heihachi
Dig Dug

SQUARE
Cloud
Geno
2B

CAPCOM
MegaMan
Ryu
Dante

MICROSOFT
Banjo & Kazooie
Master Chief
Steve

BETHESDA
Doomguy
Dovakhiin

UBISOFT
Rayman
Ezio
Sam Fisher
Keep everything the same except:
Sega - Sonic, Bayonetta, Joker
Konami - Snake, Simon, (someone from Silent Hill I guess)
Square Enix - Cloud, Neku, Welch Vineyard (because Star Ocean needs more love don’t @ me)
Bandai Namco - Pac-Man, Lloyd Irving, KOS-MOS

Last edited:

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
I'm actually pretty excited for the new amiibo figures. I have every single one from Wii U/3DS, and am already hyped for all of the new ones to come out. I still can't believe I'll finally have a Snake amiibo.

If I really want to I'll just use the amiibo, but I guess that really depends on what I'm feeling like doing. There aren't any stages to unlock, so that's out of the running. Character unlocks (and hopefully trophies or something similar to them) will be something to keep me busy and playing all weekend. I already have been approved for the day off from work in advance, and I'm planning on having a party the day of the release (not at Midnight, literally on December 7th), so hopefully I'll find some way to unlock everybody by then.

I can't imagine I'm going to get a lot of sleep that day, and I'm 25. I'm just that excited about this game.
A complete Smash amiibo collection, that's very impressive! :)

I do hope for additional unlocks along with the characters as well. Trophies (or at least something that functions like them) would be a nice unlockable bonus, especially if we get a new mode that utilizes them more than past games have, and it may be possible to unlock music as well (as although we know all stages are unlocked from the start, we don't know that about the music just yet). Unlockables are very addicting in Smash for me personally, so the more the merrier. I also hope that Challenge Mode returns in some fashion, as I liked how it functioned as an achievement system that rewarded you for reaching said achievements (and also gave you some Golden Hammers to forcibly finish certain ones if you wanted).

Having December 7th off to celebrate in style I see! I unfortunately won't be able to do the same, since the holiday season is when I'm at my busiest, so I know work won'y let me have that day off (or even Saturday). I'm really hoping that my copy will arrive before I have to leave for work that day so I can take some time to check it out while at work during any breaks that do pop up. Heck, if that does happen, I might just set up CPU matches and watch them duke it out, since I do find enjoyment in that from time to time. ;)

December 7th is going to feel like Christmas morning to me, and even if I have to work, the game is going to be on my mind all day, I'm certain of it. :love:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

Well, I have no idea how the unlocks will hash out this time around. It's even entirely possible that I'll unlock a character without meaning to, but here's my order of priority:

I'm definitely gonna want to try to unlock Young Link and Pokemon Trainer first. I want to get reused to their playstyles.

Next is Luigi, he's my number one main after all.

After them, Shulk, Chrom, Roy, and Dr. Mario. I want to test the changes made to them especially. As well as how Chrom feels compared to Roy, who is one of my favorite characters to play.

In terms of Unique newcomers, I'll probably try to get Inkling and K. Rool first.

Then I'm gonna work on unlocking the rest of my "mains" seen here:
1538098641794.png

Which includes creating one of each Mii Fighter.

After this, next priorities are Snake, Wolf, Pichu, and Ice Climbers.

After that, it's the rest of the newcomers.

Followed finally by the remaining veterans.

That's how I'd like things to go, ideally.

As for which character I will pick first, most likely Link, then Pikachu. I'm definitely most interested in Link's changes out of the starting 8.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I have the :ultbowser::ultfalcon::ultduckhunt::ultganondorf::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultgnw::ultrob::ultrobin:ultsamus::ultsonic::ultzss:amiibo but I'm not certain if I'll be cheesing unlocks with them (except Samus obviously), waiting to see what Sakurai's plan for it is. Looking to get :ultdarksamus::ultridley::ultwolf::ultike::ultshulk: and hopefully Shadow if he gets added.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
I just want the L'Oreal Ganon
My favorite version of Ganondorf; loved his Hyrule Warriors moveset! If this outfit makes it into Ultimate, I want his hair to flow behind him as he runs and during windy sections of specific stages (like Summit and Pirate Ship).

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079

SEGA
Sonic
Bayonetta

KONAMI
Snake
Simon
Frogger

NAMCO
Pac Man
Heihachi
Dig Dug

SQUARE
Cloud
Geno
2B

CAPCOM
MegaMan
Ryu
Dante

MICROSOFT
Banjo & Kazooie
Master Chief
Steve

BETHESDA
Doomguy
Dovakhiin

UBISOFT
Rayman
Ezio
Sam Fisher
Well, here's what I got.
SEGA:
Sonic
Bayonetta
Joker

CAPCOM:
Mega Man
Ryu
Morrigan

NAMCO:
PAC-MAN
Nightmare
KOS-MOS

KONAMI:
Snake
Simon Belmont
Pyramid Head (I mean we don't really have anyone from the horror genre as playable.)

SQUARE:
Cloud
Neku
Lara Croft

MICROSOFT:
Master Chief
Banjo Kazooie
Fulgore

BETHESDA:
Doom Slayer
Dovahkiin
Corvo Attack