• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
It also birthed EarthBound 64.

...wait...
Kinda technically.

Only 10 things actually released for the 64DD. The 60 other announced titles ended up getting released as normal 64 games, like Animal Forest or on future consoles such as the Gamecube, like Cubivore.

Of course EarthBound 64 (and the Mother 3.5 expansion) was remade entirely as Mother 3 on the GBA.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I saw that in a picture.

They also apparently had Ness in the game, or used him as a placeholder model...?
I think Lucas was originally going to look like Ness, much like how Ness looks like Ninten.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Excited for Dragonball FighterZ coming out tomorrow. That should be a fun fighting game to help keep me occupied til' Smash comes out.

Though I also have Super Mario Party ready for next week for fun stuff as well. I've also played each of the previous Smash games in preparation for Ultimate. I played Smash 64 in July, Melee in August, Brawl this month, will play Smash 4 3DS in October, and finally Smash 4 Wii U in November.

I suppose to make this a topic. What games are you playing and/or will buy between now and Smash Ultimate's release to help tide you over til' Ultimate releases?

Or alternately you can geek out about Dragonball FighterZ with me
In case nothing pans out on early October, I'll be going ATATATATATATA on some fools in FOTNS: Lost Paradise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N30cf_KJbII

Trailer's extremely explody, so I'll just leave the link here. Tread carefully, and it's not for the faint of heart.

Checked out. first Viewtiful Joe was straight out developed by Capcom.
Clover Studio, rather. That studio's former members eventually became what is now known as Platinum Games.

And I hope Capcom didn't completely scrub out the staff members' names from the credits for the PS4 release of Okami...

Seriously, does anyone remember this?

Brings me back to my Nintendo Power fandom days.

Last edited:

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
*Rolls eyes*

You sound like you're jumping to conclusions. I never claimed to be unique or superior. I only claimed that I'm sick of washed up has-beens with massive insecurity issues dominating over half of the industry and culture.

Oh, that's what his name was. Why the hell did I mix those two up?

As you clearly saw, people clarified that I was mistaken when I name-dropped Nathan Drake. Besides, I've seen enough reviews and footage online to know that Kratos is a microcosm of everything I find abhorrent about modern video games.

It wasn't?

Ironic. A cartoony game about robot dinosaurs offers a more realistic picture of what natural environments look like then the last decade of video games ever had.

A year where everyone wants to be either Dark Souls, The Witcher 3, The Walking Dead, or PUBG.

Then STOP. MAKING. EVERYTHING. A. DESOLATE. ATMOSPHERE.

It's not that hard, people.

I don't drink (not old enough, and it doesn't interest me), but if it meant getting to meet Samus in person...

Character- Linkle
Stage- Bowser's Castle
Item- Squid Beakon
Assist Trophy- Rundas
Pokeball Pokemon- Gallade
Boss- Egg Dragoon
Music- One Winged Angel
this is the most embarrassing post i’ve read in a while

Also it’s very telling you’re not old enough to drink. I bet you’re not even old enough to legally buy all these evil mean harmful M rated games hence why you flat out admitted you hate God of War and The Last of Us despite never playing them. Mom won’t buy them for you eh?

Last edited:

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
But these renders are pretty clean:

Well, they're pretty good.
Boney is scary

Honestly I’m glad this game ended up being 2D. The footage we saw doesn’t have that another charm imo and knowing how most early 3D games were, it could’ve easily aged poorly gameplay wise

Iridium

Smash Hero
Boney is scary

Honestly I’m glad this game ended up being 2D. The footage we saw doesn’t have that another charm imo and knowing how most early 3D games were, it could’ve easily aged poorly gameplay wise
I don't know, I've been having different views on what I consider scary lately. The aging horrible part I do get, though, but that might depend on the game (at least to me).

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Clover Studio, rather. That studio's former members eventually became what is now known as Platinum Games.

And I hope Capcom didn't completely scrub out the staff members' names from the credits for the PS4 release of Okami...
No. The Original Viewtiful Joe was released before Clover was founded. But the team for that was then spun off into clovers studios for the sequel and other games. It's very unlikely that Capcom doesn't have the full rights to Viewtiful Joe.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
No. The Original Viewtiful Joe was released before Clover was founded. But the team for that was then spun off into clovers studios for the sequel and other games. It's very unlikely that Capcom doesn't have the full rights to Viewtiful Joe.
Ah, ok.

Though I didn't say Capcom didn't own the rights, it's clear that they own both VJ and Okami (as evidenced by MvC3). I mean, Platinum wouldn't have made Wonderful 101 as a spiritual successor to VJ, otherwise.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I think they'll add Steve to attract kids since Minecraft and Fortnite are the only games they really play these days.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think they'll add Steve to attract you get kids
Ignoring the fact that Minecraft in general is iconic as hell in terms of this decade of video games.
Maybe Fortnite will lead the next decade, I don't know.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I like the 3 per company thing. Heres what I'd pick.

SEGA
Sonic
Bayonetta
Gus (Crazy Taxi) (Idk how itll work, but Crazy Taxi needs more love. Use AiAi as a substitute if not.)

KONAMI
Snake
Simon
Frogger

NAMCO
Pac Man
Heihachi
Dig Dug

SQUARE
Cloud
Geno
2B

CAPCOM
MegaMan
Ryu
Dante

MICROSOFT
Banjo & Kazooie
Master Chief
Steve

BETHESDA
Doomguy
Dovakhiin
Vault Boy/Fallout character

UBISOFT
Rayman
Ezio
Sam Fisher

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Ah, ok.

Though I didn't say Capcom didn't own the rights, it's clear that they own both VJ and Okami (as evidenced by MvC3). I mean, Platinum wouldn't have made Wonderful 101 as a spiritual successor to VJ, otherwise.
I was mostly pointing out Platinum doesn't own their franchises, so the context of the list that started this discussion actually gave four character to Sega and five for capcom. So studios like Platinum in that conext sorta ends up as "loopholes".

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
As someone who hasn't played Minecraft before, are there any tracks from the series you guys would like to see in Ultimate if Steve, a Minecraft stage, or even both make it in?

I love listening to video game music, so if you guys have any preferences, I'd be happy to give them a listen.

Iridium

Smash Hero

This has still been one of my favorite Mega Man tracks for a while. Definitely would be great for Smash.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
As someone who hasn't played Minecraft before, are there any tracks from the series you guys would like to see in Ultimate if Steve, a Minecraft stage, or even both make it in?

I love listening to video game music, so if you guys have any preferences, I'd be happy to give them a listen.
I'm quite fond of the track Wait (originally called Where are we now?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuRoo-gh_Dc
Not sure if its too peaceful for Ultimate given the music direction but maybe a remix could help.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
*old timey voice* Back in my day, the Lugia movie was called The Power of One. :rolleyes:

But I'm in the same boat. I have no preference for the newest Pokemon addition, and with two Pokemon veterans seemingly taking the spots of newcomers, I'd much rather have characters from unrepresented first party series than a rep for the sake of a rep. Zeraora at least looks like what I would expect from a new Pokemon Smash newcomer.
Probably because Zeraora's placement in this art is reminiscent to the poster for Lucario & The Mystery of Mew.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Minecraft doesn't exactly have any iconic tracks to it other than calm synths and piano. If they're going to put Steve in a game like this, they're going to have to remix a track so that it's almost nothing like the original.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

These are all really good ones IMO:

"Sweden" and "Droopy Likes your Face" are probably the two I like the most out of Minecraft's OST.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192

This has still been one of my favorite Mega Man tracks for a while. Definitely would be great for Smash.
Great choice! It's been a while since I've played 7, I probably should get on it again sometime soon (Replayed 1-4 when I picked up the Legacy Collection on Switch, but still need to go through the others again; maybe I'll start it up again tonight).

I love that we're getting a remix of this theme, one of my personal favorite songs in the series:

Really looking forward to all the new Mega Man music in Ultimate though, and am curious just how many tracks it has. Considering both it and Castlevania received a lot of love from the musicians, I'm hoping Mega Man has around 35 or so, and among all the different types of games in the series (OG, X, Zero, Legends, Battle Network, Star Force, ZX).

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
"Sweden" is one of those Minecraft tracks people find very nostalgic. Wait / Where Are We Now? is my favorite track among the music discs you can get in the game.

The game's music is so calm, though, that they'll have to remix it to make it sound energetic for battle, though they could still keep the same melody.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
At this point I can't imagine what will happen if Steve becomes confirmed playable.

There's already salt about the THOUGHT of his inclusion.

D

Deleted member

I like the 3 per company thing. Heres what I'd pick.

SEGA
Sonic
Bayonetta
Gus (Crazy Taxi) (Idk how itll work, but Crazy Taxi needs more love. Use AiAi as a substitute if not.)

KONAMI
Snake
Simon
Frogger

NAMCO
Pac Man
Heihachi
Dig Dug

SQUARE
Cloud
Geno
2B

CAPCOM
MegaMan
Ryu
Dante

MICROSOFT
Banjo & Kazooie
Master Chief
Steve

BETHESDA
Doomguy
Dovakhiin
Vault Boy/Fallout character

UBISOFT
Rayman
Ezio
Sam Fisher
I’ll give it it a try;
Capcom: Mega Man, Ryu, Dante

Namco: Pac Man, Jin, Dark Souls protagonist

Sega: Sonic, Bayonetta, Kazuma Kiryu

Square Enix: Cloud, Sora, 2B

Konami: Snake, Simon, Bill Rizier

Bethesda: Doomguy, Elder Scrolls protagonist, Fallout protagonist.

Namco: Ryu Hayabusa, William (Nioh), Uhh...

Atlas: Aleph, Demi-Fiend, Flynn

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Also if we get environmental noises back, can we get 11 from Minecraft?

Just imagine hearing that during a match :psycho:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Wow, this thread has been quite inactive lately. It seems like the leak thread stole some thunder.

In that case, let’s discuss character unlocks! Who are you planning to unlock first, or are you going to do a traditional unlock “in order” routine? What about doing streamlined or traditional?

I’m not sure what I would do but I like the idea of unlocking my mains, newcomers, and THEN the rest of the roster...but I also love the idea of unlocking in order if I can.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I think they'll add Steve to attract kids since Minecraft and Fortnite are the only games they really play these days.
Do you actually know that many kids? Or are you basing this statement off of limited interactions and internet stereotypes?

A close relative of mine is a school teacher and she tells me that Pokemon and Mario are very popular with them. More popular then when I was a kid, even, since I grew up during the dark "edgy is cool" days of the Gamecube.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Wow, this thread has been quite inactive lately. It seems like the leak thread stole some thunder.

In that case, let’s discuss character unlocks! Who are you planning to unlock first, or are you going to do a traditional unlock “in order” routine? What about doing streamlined or traditional?

I’m not sure what I would do but I like the idea of unlocking my mains, newcomers, and THEN the rest of the roster...but I also love the idea of unlocking in order if I can.
Since my favorite character is already a starter, I'll just unlock whomever afterwards...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

If the amiibo rumor is true then I'm unlocking King K. Rool, Ridley, Bowser, King Dedede, Rosalina & Luma and Duck Hunt. Everyone else I'll unlock naturally.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Minecraft doesn't exactly have any iconic tracks to it other than calm synths and piano. If they're going to put Steve in a game like this, they're going to have to remix a track so that it's almost nothing like the original.
They just did that with Animal Crossing, so it's not impossible.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

I think I'm going to go ahead and unlock everyone the most natural way: playing the game

I have amiibos of the entire SSBWiiU roster, Daisy, and Inklings. Adding Wolf and Ridley once they are also released so I'd rather just stick to playing the game instead of unlocking everything right off the bat like in the WWE 2k games

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
I'm quite fond of the track Wait (originally called Where are we now?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuRoo-gh_Dc
Not sure if its too peaceful for Ultimate given the music direction but maybe a remix could help.
Kinda gives me Earthbound vibes honestly. I like the chillness, though I can see why it may not fit with Ultimate as a fighting song. I could see a rock remix working, maybe with some electric guitar and a sped-up tempo.

Yeah, from the bit I've heard I'm inclined to agree. They could add in some other instruments and speed up the tempo, but the music is also quite nice as is; just not the most suitable for a fierce fight.

These are all really good ones IMO:

"Sweden" and "Droopy Likes your Face" are probably the two I like the most out of Minecraft's OST.
Thank you for all these choices, I'll be sure to give them all a listen. Minecraft's music so far is actually really good, so thank you for giving me more to check out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom