• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I've never understood the Hylian Shield being treated as something special, but I'm an old school kinda guy. To me, Link has historically had one really high level shield. It's the Mirror Shield. Games without the Mirror Shield lack a notable shield, and that's just how it is. When you consider that the real test of a shield's power is its ability to resist a Like Like's gut and only the Mirror Shield ever accomplishes this (well, the weaker shield in z1 too but that's kinda different), I think the case is clear; Hylian Shield is not a shield that should be held in any particular regard. If anything, how durable it was in BotW was strange; it should have been much easier to break.

As per items in Smash in general, I'll just be straight. The better I've gotten at Smash, the more intolerable I've found playing with items in general. Honestly I think items just make an across the board awful experience. It's not just that items are insanely powerful and insanely random, though they are and that's really unpleasant to deal with too, but the main reason items aren't fun is that they mostly serve to make all of the characters the same. A character's unique attacks all pretty much suck compared to the overwhelming power of item moves; if you're playing with items, the obvious best strategy is to just run around and focus on using items as much as possible which means the only character specific attributes you care about are mobility, recovery, weight, and I guess having a reflector which is just not a lot going on as you quickly realize Fox is the obvious best character in an items on environment but it also barely matters because every character plays roughly the same. Even if you're really bad at Smash, I just don't see how items are improving your experience; sure you might lose less with items on because they're so random that anyone could get lucky and win, but at least you'll be making decisions that matter and doing different things if you pick different characters instead of basically every game being the same relatively mediocre RNG fest no matter what which is basically the items on meta. That is to say that items not only make the game dumb competitively, but honestly, I don't think they're fun at all and in fact are the single biggest anti-fun option in the game. It's not a topic I think a lot about most of the time because items are just always off and it's not a question, but the pre-release of every Smash game reminds me of why I dislike items and usually makes me like them even less than I did before as I watch them just sap not just the strategy and skill but honestly also the joy from so many pre-release matches.

Untouch

Smash Master
It's gonna be pretty hard to wait another month without ANYTHING new, I wish Sakurai would drop some new gameplay videos like he did with the K Rool gameplay. It was nice analyzing that.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Please bring back original enemies for the fighting whatever team this time.

Miis were the laziest thing yet...unfortunately it wouldn’t suprise me if Ultimate reused it.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
What if multi-man Smash opted to use many Subspace and/or Smash Run enemies instead of a fighting team? Highly unlikely to the point of being negligible, but it'd be awesome.

Iridium

Smash Hero
How would you all feel if the T-pose glitch accidentally came back? I for one would love to see Ridley...do it.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Excited for Dragonball FighterZ coming out tomorrow. That should be a fun fighting game to help keep me occupied til' Smash comes out.

Though I also have Super Mario Party ready for next week for fun stuff as well. I've also played each of the previous Smash games in preparation for Ultimate. I played Smash 64 in July, Melee in August, Brawl this month, will play Smash 4 3DS in October, and finally Smash 4 Wii U in November.

I suppose to make this a topic. What games are you playing and/or will buy between now and Smash Ultimate's release to help tide you over til' Ultimate releases?

Or alternately you can geek out about Dragonball FighterZ with me

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Most of the members are posting in the Leak thread. It would explain why this thread isn't as active as it used to be.
I wonder if they're actually talking about real leaks or just arguing who deserved to be playable more than another.
Probably the latter.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Does Pichu really count as a Gen 2 rep, though? He's a clone, purposefully made to be worse than the face of Pokemon from Gen 1, and was axed after one game then brought back solely to fulfill the promise of "Everyone is Here". It's worth noting that he's also the only clone of any of the pokemon characters.
It's a Gen 2 Pokemon, so yeah. No need to find to technicallities. Pichu was still chosen after all. We could have potentially gotten a clone of someone else or no one else but there Pichu is, in all its Gen 2 glory.

Iridium

Smash Hero
You know that feeling when it's that one day in school when about half of class is missing? Yeah, this is basically that.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It's a Gen 2 Pokemon, so yeah. No need to find to technicallities. Pichu was still chosen after all. We could have potentially gotten a clone of someone else or no one else but there Pichu is, in all its Gen 2 glory.
You're not wrong at all.

Even still, doesn't feel like an adequate rep of the generation when it's the only cloned Pokemon on the roster.

Well except

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Okay, I got a game then.

Third Party companies are looking to have enough characters to be able to fill out a 3v3 Squad Strike team. What 3 characters per company would you have in the game? You gotta keep the ones that are already in the game, and echoes don't count. Also, feel free to add additional companies.

Here's some of my picks:

Capcom
Mega Man [Mega Man]
Ryu [Street Fighter]
Arthur [Ghosts 'n Goblins]

Konami
Snake [Metal Gear]
Simon/Richter [Castlevania]
Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]

SquareEnix
Cloud [Final Fantasy]
Erdrick [Dragon Quest]
Bub/Bob [Bubble Bobble]

Arc System Works
Kunio [River City Ransom]
Billy Lee/Jimmy Lee [Double Dragon]
Sol Badguy [Guilty Gear]

Koei Tecmo
Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
Kasumi [Dead or Alive]
Rygar [Rygar]

Bandai Namco
Pac-Man [Pac-Man]
Heihachi [Tekken]
Mitsurugi [Soul Calibur]

Sega
Sonic [Sonic the Hedgehog]
Bayonetta [Bayonetta]
Kiryu [Yakuza]

Rare
Banjo & Kazooie [Banjo Kazooie]
Rash/Zitz [Battletoads]
Kuros [Wizards & Warriors]

Edit: Put Bayonetta in with Sega since people tell me that's the company that owns that series.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wonder if they're actually talking about real leaks or just arguing who deserved to be playable more than another.
Probably the latter.
Definitely the latter. Looking at the thread recently... I haven't used this to describe something in a long time, but, YIKES.
I come into mention about when possible leaks would be at it's peak, then I see people fighting.

It's uh... Yeah. Kinda proved my point about how lame this Smash speculation has become as of recent.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Definitely the latter. Looking at the thread recently... I haven't used this to describe something in a long time, but, YIKES.
I come into mention about when possible leaks would be at it's peak, then I see people fighting.

It's uh... Yeah. Kinda proved my point about how lame this Smash speculation has become as of recent.
This makes me wonder, what if Sakurai simply revealed everything that would be in the base game for SSBU? Would people change their interests to something else, or no? I don't want leaks to be the main talk every day.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's gonna be pretty hard to wait another month without ANYTHING new, I wish Sakurai would drop some new gameplay videos like he did with the K Rool gameplay. It was nice analyzing that.
What if they stuff more things in the update posts than usual like yesterday, especially since weekends have consistently jack?

Speculation is so bad right now that some fanbases on here are either Debbie downers or tearing themselves apart.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I didn't even know Animal Crossing was on N64
Heh, typical youngin! Jk I think pretty much everyone played it on Gamecube (was released the same year, right?)

Also, I only played the 2001 game, which is why I would have preferred Nook to Isabelle, but she seems cool.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
As per items in Smash in general, I'll just be straight. The better I've gotten at Smash, the more intolerable I've found playing with items in general. Honestly I think items just make an across the board awful experience. It's not just that items are insanely powerful and insanely random, though they are and that's really unpleasant to deal with too, but the main reason items aren't fun is that they mostly serve to make all of the characters the same. A character's unique attacks all pretty much suck compared to the overwhelming power of item moves; if you're playing with items, the obvious best strategy is to just run around and focus on using items as much as possible which means the only character specific attributes you care about are mobility, recovery, weight, and I guess having a reflector which is just not a lot going on as you quickly realize Fox is the obvious best character in an items on environment but it also barely matters because every character plays roughly the same. Even if you're really bad at Smash, I just don't see how items are improving your experience; sure you might lose less with items on because they're so random that anyone could get lucky and win, but at least you'll be making decisions that matter and doing different things if you pick different characters instead of basically every game being the same relatively mediocre RNG fest no matter what which is basically the items on meta. That is to say that items not only make the game dumb competitively, but honestly, I don't think they're fun at all and in fact are the single biggest anti-fun option in the game. It's not a topic I think a lot about most of the time because items are just always off and it's not a question, but the pre-release of every Smash game reminds me of why I dislike items and usually makes me like them even less than I did before as I watch them just sap not just the strategy and skill but honestly also the joy from so many pre-release matches.
What kinds of items on matches are you playing (1v1, teams, FFA,) just wondering? Did you turn item spawns down for 1v1s? As someone who’s played a lot of teams For Fun, from my experience, there’s always lots of regular combat between item usages where characters’ movesets properly come into play (although, some of the nuances of characters are toned down due to lag.) It’s all subjective of course, I personally play competitive style more often but casual is a nice change of pace.

I do agree that I don’t like watching items matches in Smash Ultimate pre-release footage, though, mainly because items on Smash Ultimate isn’t much different to watch than items on Smash 4 (it’ll likely feel different, but it’s basically the same as a spectator.
The absolute worst part though IMO is watching competitive 1v1s where they didn’t let them disable items, so they very awkwardly have to avoid picking up the items rather than getting to really show how competitive gameplay in Ultimate works.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Aand Viewtiful Joe by Capcom.
I don't Platinum owns any of their games.
A publisher doesn't always own the property. Take, for example, Banjo & Kazooie. Nintendo published it, but Rare retained the rights. IP ownership is complicated.

That said, I've never done any research into what Platinum owns versus just makes.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I think it was just in Japan.

I haven't played the original yet, but I read the Gamecube version was basically the same game, except with some extra stuff added by Nintendo of America.
Yeah, it was called Animal Forest.

I'm pretending like I'm cool and know that, but I googled it after Moon Monkey mentioned it.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Perhaps Feraligatr or Scizor (I wish)?
Those are two of the three I'd suggest, yeah.

The third would be Sneasel, but that's only because he's like my favorite pokemon. He's such a little ****.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

I haven't played the original yet, but I read the Gamecube version was basically the exact same game, except with some extra stuff added by Nintendo of America.
First release was Animal Forest for the N64 in Japan. It then got remade into Animal Crossing for the Gamecube in Japan. Eventually, NoA localised and added a bunch of new features and content. Iwata was so impressed he had the American version rereleased in Japan. This was basically the 3rd time the first game was released in Japan in like a year or two.

Iridium

Smash Hero
So, I always wondered what was behind Bowser's...crawl, in Melee. Can anyone here explain what allowed that to be a thing, because I want to do it in Ultimate (kinda, I know I can't).

Edit: Or was it a pseudo-crawl?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

I haven't played the original yet, but I read the Gamecube version was basically the exact same game, except with some extra stuff added by Nintendo of America.
Yeah the international was just an updated N64 version which I think also got its own N64 game. Could be wrong though.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
A publisher doesn't always own the property. Take, for example, Banjo & Kazooie. Nintendo published it, but Rare retained the rights. IP ownership is complicated.

That said, I've never done any research into what Platinum owns versus just makes.
Checked out. first Viewtiful Joe was straight out developed by Capcom.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
So, I always wondered what was behind Bowser's...crawl, in Melee. Can anyone here explain what allowed that to be a thing, because I want to do it in Ultimate (kinda, I know I can't).
His scuttle?

I don't know. Time constraints or weird artistic direction?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah the international was just an updated N64 version which I think also got its own N64 game. Could be wrong though.
The N64DD was just kind of a mess in general. But I mean it birthed Animal Crossing and Doshin the Giant so I guess it's all cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom