• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
We have reached 48 fighters featured from the blog. 71 days left and 24 and more fighters left to be featured.
thats about 10 weeks left. i think its possible to do 30 characters, but this isn't a theory its just something i thought about.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I like the 3 per company thing. Heres what I'd pick.

SEGA
Sonic
Bayonetta
Gus (Crazy Taxi) (Idk how itll work, but Crazy Taxi needs more love. Use AiAi as a substitute if not.)

KONAMI
Snake
Simon
Frogger

NAMCO
Pac Man
Heihachi
Dig Dug

SQUARE
Cloud
Geno
2B

CAPCOM
MegaMan
Ryu
Dante

MICROSOFT
Banjo & Kazooie
Master Chief
Steve

BETHESDA
Doomguy
Dovakhiin
Vault Boy/Fallout character

UBISOFT
Rayman
Ezio
Sam Fisher
I’ll play your game, you Rogue.

Sega: Sonic, Bayonetta, Vyse

Konami: Snake, Simon, Bonk

Namco: Pac Man, Lloyd Irving, Yoshimitsu

Square: Cloud, Geno, Crono

Capcom: Mega Man, Ryu, Wesker

(Replacing Microsoft) Tecmo Koei: Ryu Hayabusa, Rygar, Mighty Bomb Jack

(replacing Bethesda) SNK: Terry Bogard, Marco Rossi, Geese Howard

Ubisoft: Ezio, Rayman, Splinter Cell Rabbid

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Oh, yeah.

The Sonic/Mario rivalry defined video games in the 90s. Sonic was actually the frist video game character honored i the Macy’s thanksgiving day parade, and there aren’t many other video game characters that can claim that a biological enzyme pathway is named after them.

Sonic’s hugely important to gaming as a whole, even if Sega’s scrambling lately. I doubt Mario would even be where he is today without having the Sonic rivalry

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Which characters are you all most excited to play?
For me: :ultlink::ultpokemontrainer::ultzelda::ultyounglink::ultmewtwo::ultridley::ultkrool::ultganondorf::ultwolf::ultisabelle::ultdaisy::ultike:
From my most hyped to least..

:ultpokemontrainer: - I never thought it was possible, but the gang is altogether again. Arceus is real and he loves us.
:ultridley: - Easily my most hyped newcomer. I'm also slowly becoming more and more of a Metroid fan as time goes on.
:ultlink: - I love his updated Master Sword visuals and sound effects. Remote Bombs also look really fun.
:ultinkling: - Never played Splatoon, but that moveset looks fun.
:ultsimon: - See above.
:ultpikachu:- Take it from a Mewtwo player, you Pikachu mains out there are really going to like your new nair.
:ultganondorf:- I'm honestly not excited about his new sword, but his OoT design fits his moveset much better then TP did imo.
:ultzelda: - I'm not as excited by the Phantom Slash as I probably should be but like most people I do like her redesign.
:ultdarksamus:- I've been playing a lot of Samus lately, so Dark Samus will be fun. I'll probably stick with regular ol' Sammy in the end though, as cool as the phazon effects look.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Sonic’s hugely important to gaming as a whole, even if Sega’s scrambling lately. I doubt Mario would even be where he is today without having the Sonic rivalry
The way I see it.

Gaming: Mario vs. Sonic
Movies: Godzilla vs. King Kong/Gamera
Manga/Comics: Superman vs. Goku

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Oh, yeah.

The Sonic/Mario rivalry defined video games in the 90s. Sonic was actually the frist video game character honored i the Macy’s thanksgiving day parade, and there aren’t many other video game characters that can claim that a biological enzyme pathway is named after them.

Actually the pathway is just called Hedgehog. Sonic hedgehog is one of the proteins involved.

Pikachurin is another protein named after a video game character.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
For me: :ultlink::ultpokemontrainer::ultzelda::ultyounglink::ultmewtwo::ultridley::ultkrool::ultganondorf::ultwolf::ultisabelle::ultdaisy::ultike:
For me,

It would be:

:ultsnake: - because I never played him alot back in Brawl, with him back in Smash. I'm confident that I can get to play him for first time

:ultridley:- Interesting character, might play him just for fun.

:ultkrool:- Because that he was old character and I heard so much about him, I'll give this a chance,

:ultrichter:/:ultsimon:- Good moveset, worth trying them out.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
What controller do you guys plan on using to play Ultimate with? GameCube Controller has pretty much been a lock for me since I adapted to it during the days of Melee, but I do see merit in possibly using the Switch Pro Controller on occasion, primarily if the HD Rumble support enhances the overall experience in terms of tactile feedback. Plus, I can't use the GameCube Controller if I end up playing Ultimate in handheld mode at all. :laugh:

It's not something I saw brought up here, so I apologize if it already has, but I was curious as to how you guys felt about it all the same.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
EDIT: Diregard the first part of this post.
Honestly I'm thinking a Lucina/Robin style reveal in October (69: Incineroar and 60e: Ken) and then a Smash Direct in November (70: Steve, 71: Elma, 72: Geno, 36e: Dixie Kong, 38e: Shadow and 54e: Medusa).
Unlikely. All trailers that showcase two newcomers are usually ones that come from the same series. Lucina/Robin (both from Fire Emblem) Charizard/Greninja (both from Pokemon) Simon/Ricter (both from Castlevania)

Anything is possible, but it doesn't make much sense to have a CGI trailer feature those two for no reason.

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
If Bowser Jr. is meant to represent Yoshi's villain? That would REALLY lower Sakurai's credibility in my eyes as he has the idea in mind but doesn't want to follow it through to the end and just make a lazy shortcut for Yoshi. I'd rather Yoshi not have the villain rep than that...
In past games darkened Samuses have been used to represent Dark Samus, I wouldn't say he's above using substitutions that work.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
What controller do you guys plan on using to play Ultimate with? GameCube Controller has pretty much been a lock for me since I adapted to it during the days of Melee, but I do see merit in possibly using the Switch Pro Controller on occasion, primarily if the HD Rumble support enhances the overall experience in terms of tactile feedback. Plus, I can't use the GameCube Controller if I end up playing Ultimate in handheld mode at all. :laugh:

It's not something I saw brought up here, so I apologize if it already has, but I was curious as to how you guys felt about it all the same.
I'll use both Pro Controller and Gamecube. I'm most DEFINITELY not using the Joycons :yoshi:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Gamecube controller.

I wouldn't be opposed to using the Pro but I'll just see how things go.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I haven’t decided in how I want to unlock characters yet - I guess I need more info on how the unlocking style will work. Hopefully it’s more interesting than just “get a random character unlocked every 10 multiplayer battles.”

If the amiibo thing is true (which makes sense and should be), I’m not going for it though. I got a lot of the Sm4sh amiibo, but I’d rather unlock thrm as I go in game. Plus, I’d hope that we’re getting new versions of the characters now that the poses are different.

But I’m gonna have fun unlocking various characters though. I can’t wait to see most of the new changes.

:ultcloud::ultike::ultkrool::ultlucina::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultsnake:
For me. Cloud, Ike and Lucina cause they were my 3 characters in 4. Daisy, K. Rool and Ridley cause I wanted them in. Simon cause I also wanted him in but never thought it would happen and he looks super fun. Snake cause he was my boy in Brawl and I’m excited to get to play as him again.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
These are all of the characters I'm hoping are fun to play.

:ultcloud:,:ultcorrin:,:ultganondorf:,:ultike:,:ultinkling:,:ultisabelle:,:ultjigglypuff:,:ultkirby:,:ultlink:,:ultmarth:,:ultlucario:,:ultlucina:,:ultmetaknight:,:ultmewtwo:,:ultmiifighters:,:ultpalutena:,:ultpeach:,:ultdaisy:,:ultpikachu:,:ultpit:,:ultdarkpit:,:ultrobin,:ultroy:,:ultsamus:,:ultshulk:,:ultsnake:,:ultsonic:,:ulttoonlink:,:ultvillager:,:ultwiifittrainer:,:ultyounglink:,:ultzelda:,:ultzss:

this is the most embarrassing post i’ve read in a while

Also it’s very telling you’re not old enough to drink. I bet you’re not even old enough to legally buy all these evil mean harmful M rated games hence why you flat out admitted you hate God of War and The Last of Us despite never playing them. Mom won’t buy them for you eh?

Also, #NotAllMRatedGames.

Wireless Pro Controller.

Last edited:

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
I'll use both Pro Controller and Gamecube. I'm most DEFINITELY not using the Joycons :yoshi:
Yeah, I really can't envision myself using the Joycons for Smash, even with the Joycon Grip. That would remind me of trying to play Brawl with the Wii Remote and Nunchuck Combo like I had to for the launch tournament at Gamestop. :laugh:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

Honestly, the GCN controller has worn out for me.

Played only the game cube from Melee to Brawl, but then Sm4sh had all of the extra connectors for it. I didn’t have much of a problem with 3DS, but I managed with the WiiU gamepad. But now...? I play pretty well solely with my pro controller, so that’s gonna be my choice here.

I’m an ultra casual so the lag associated with a wireless controller is nothing to me, and I don’t need to live in the keep-chained-to-the-tv world anymore.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'd really only use the joycons when playing on the go. They'd be serviceable enough but when docked or at home there's better options.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Oh, yeah.

I thought you were talking about modern relevancy/popularity. If it weren't for Sonic Mania, Sonic wouldn't be very popular or relevant lately.

I mean, compared to the IPs you listed.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Fun game here. If the next Smash were to be rebooted. What would be your roster? Mine would be.

Super Mario Bros.
Mario
Peach
Bowser
Luigi*

Donkey Kong:
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool*

The Legend of Zelda:
Link
Zelda
Ganondorf*

Metroid:
Samus
Ridley*

Yoshi:
Yoshi

Kirby:
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight*

StarFox:
Fox
Falco*
Wolf*

Pokemon:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff*
Mewtwo*

EarthBound:
Ness*

F-Zero:
Captain Falcon*

Fire Emblem:
Marth*
Roy*

WarioWare:
Wario

Kid Icarus:
Pit
Palutena*

Game & Watch:
Mr. Game & Watch*

* means Unlockable

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

I’ll likely use the GameCube or Wired Pro for when I play on the TV, I’ll have to try both. I’ll be playing this in handheld mode a lot though so I’ll have to get used to the Joycons (and yes, that includes single-Joycon for local multiplayer when not at home.)

(I still want keyboard to be an option, though.)

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Hey guys something I came up with for fun.

Imagine Super Smash Bros. 64 but with the villains/rivals instead. :p

King Boo(Unlockable):ultbowser::ultkrool::ultganondorf::ultridley:Black Shadow(Unlockable)
Porky Minch(Unlockable) Kamek:ultkingdedede::ultwolf:Meowth Mewtwo(Unlockable)
It would be interesting thinking how this would play and how you would design it.

For weight i think it would go roughly like this
Lightweight - Kamek, Meowth, King Boo
Middle - Mewtwo, Wolf, Black Shadow, Ganondorf
Heavies - Ridley, Bowser, K. Rool, Porky (in Mech).

Ganondorf would probably take the heavy, strong Projectile user role in absence of Samus. I imagine King Boo being air based similar to Jigglypuff.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
One of the things I've always loved about Smash are the renders. What are your favorites?
I'll list my top 5: :ultridley::ultmewtwo::ultlink::ultcloud::ultyoshi:

I love all of the renders present in Ultimate though, and even having to choose between them for a top 5 was difficult for me.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It would be interesting thinking how this would play and how you would design it.

For weight i think it would go roughly like this
Lightweight - Kamek, Meowth, King Boo
Middle - Mewtwo, Wolf, Black Shadow, Ganondorf
Heavies - Ridley, Bowser, K. Rool, Porky (in Mech).

Ganondorf would probably take the heavy, strong Projectile user role in absence of Samus. I imagine King Boo being air based similar to Jigglypuff.
More interesting question too would be the stages.

Ones I'd imagine are Bowser's Castle, Gangplank Galleon, and Luigi's Mansion.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

Definitely a pro controller. I never had a Gamecube as a kid so I am not used to those button placements at all.

Some people like to claim the Gamecube controller is objectively better because its wired, but if I'm not mistake, doesn't the Pro Controller make up for that by having digital inputs?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Definitely a pro controller. I never had a Gamecube as a kid so I am not used to those button placements at all.

Some people like to claim the Gamecube controller is objectively better because its wired, but if I'm not mistake, doesn't the Pro Controller make up for that by having digital inputs?
It lacks analogue triggers like the GC but this wouldn't mean much so long as any input from the GC triggers is registered. If they have to be pressed all the way the pro controller will allow for easier shielding and teching without modification.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I’ll play your game, you Rogue.
Hey! I suggested this topic!

I was thinking "Aww, no replies to that post, guess nobody was interested." Then I see, like, 10 people replying to the first guy that answered instead of the replying to the question!

Y'all is ingrates!

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
I haven’t decided in how I want to unlock characters yet - I guess I need more info on how the unlocking style will work. Hopefully it’s more interesting than just “get a random character unlocked every 10 multiplayer battles.”

If the amiibo thing is true (which makes sense and should be), I’m not going for it though. I got a lot of the Sm4sh amiibo, but I’d rather unlock thrm as I go in game. Plus, I’d hope that we’re getting new versions of the characters now that the poses are different.

But I’m gonna have fun unlocking various characters though. I can’t wait to see most of the new changes.

I'm gonna be honest with my choices:
:ultlink::ultgreninja::ultlucario::ultroy::ultsimon::ultwolf::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultmewtwo::ultpit::ultmarth::ultpokemontrainer::ultike::ultchrom::ultryu::ultsheik::ultshulk::ultmetaknight::ultdarksamus::ultfox::ultfalco::ultyoshi::ultdarkpit::ultsnake::ultcorrin::ultcloud::ultpikachu::ultridley::ultrobin:ultsamus:

My lists for topics like this stay long.

Edit: And even longer.

Last edited:

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192

The main reason I got used to the GameCube Controller was primarily because of the analog triggers (the "clicky" L & R Buttons, which always make me feel nostalgic), along with the overall placement of the buttons. It was my go-to in Brawl, as I vastly preferred it to every other kind of controller setup, but once Smash 4 came out, I actually alternated between GameCube and Wii U Pro Controller.

I can see myself switching to the Switch Pro Controller because the controller is probably the most comfortable one Nintendo has ever produced, though my muscle memory is tied to the GameCube Controller, so it is a little bit of a struggle deciding on one in particular for Ultimate. I don't think it helps that I am planning to get both limited edition controllers, but it is entirely possible that I might switch to the Switch Pro Controller this time around (something I never considered before today honestly). :)

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The main reason I got used to the GameCube Controller primarily because of the analog triggers (the "clicky" L & R Buttons, which always make me feel nostalgic), along with the overall placement of the buttons. It was my go-to in Brawl, as I vastly preferred it to every other kind of controller setup, but once Smash 4 came out, I actually alternated between GameCube and Wii U Pro Controller.

I can see myself switching to the Switch Pro Controller because the controller is probably the most comfortable one Nintendo has ever produced, though my muscle memory is tied to the GameCube Controller, so it is a little bit of a struggle deciding on one in particular for Ultimate. I don't think it helps that I am planning to get both limited edition controllers, but it is entirely possible that I might switch to the Switch Pro Controller this time around (something I never considered before today honestly). :)
I would have thought it'd be crazy to make two different special controllers for one game. No one would buy both.

Then Nintendo got me hook, line and sinker with SSBU GC and Pro controllers.

Iridium

Smash Hero

I'm actually in the same boat too! I prefer the look of the Pro Controller, and I've never touched a GC controller at all, so I'll go for what I can get. I plan to get the special edition anyway, so there's that.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
One of the things I've always loved about Smash are the renders. What are your favorites?
Why have just a handful of favorites when you can have all of them in one?

Here's the source for all of you who need to know what sick, twisted mind was behind this.

As for my unironic answers,

It lacks analogue triggers like the GC but this wouldn't mean much so long as any input from the GC triggers is registered. If they have to be pressed all the way the pro controller will allow for easier shielding and teching without modification.
I think I heard something about the amount of frames of lag being wireless causes is about as equal to the amount of frames of lag digital inputs saves, but I don't remember my source so it could all have just been BS.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Why have just a handful of favorites when you can have all of them in one?

Here's the source for all of you who need to know what sick, twisted mind was behind this.

As for my unironic answers,

I think I heard something about the amount of frames of lag being wireless causes is about as equal to the amount of frames of lag digital inputs saves, but I don't remember my source so it could all have just been BS.
Besides potential lag, one of the reasons wired controllers are preferred is they avoid interference and are quicker to set up.

No need to sync, just plug in to the setup and unplug when you move on. No chance of having someone's controller be picked up or interfere with the inputs mid match.

It's mostly a competitive thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom