• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So regarding the lineup of characters from the trailer. There's one character who should be there but no one seems to have any of the black blobs pointed out as him

Villager (or Smash4 newcomers in general) Villager was clearly promoted to be this new main stay and face of the Smash 4 newcomers.
Seems like the Smash 4 characters were deliberately excluded from that lineup, for whatever reason.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
So regarding the lineup of characters from the trailer. There's one character who should be there but no one seems to have any of the black blobs pointed out as him

Villager (or Smash4 newcomers in general) Villager was clearly promoted to be this new main stay and face of the Smash 4 newcomers.
I don't think that means much of anything, honestly. Just that they chose not to show the Villager among the cast there.

It probably won't stop, but it really isn't necessary to keep reading into the darkened line-up from the teaser.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Honestly, I could see it just being a general "Hyrule Field," with some small ruins like the ones that are scattered throughout the field, the dark Hyrule Castle in the background, and the Guardian hazard you mentioned coming in now and then.

I hope if it's ANOTHER travel stage, they add the option to choose just one place from the different travel stages. That option would make me much more ok with the oversaturation of travel stages.

Not like the Kalos League Stage, but Ultra Space would be pretty damn cool. That place in HD would be stunning.

They could also do Aether Foundation or Team Skull's Po Town lair.
Oooh...I actually like the idea of Ultra Space being the stage. Especially with the Ultra Necrozma Battle theme playing? I Imagine that would crazy nice.

I would imagine that Ultra Beasts, as well as random legendaries could always go flying across the background of the stage too...imagining it actually makes it seem ideal. I like the idea!

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

We've pretty much confirmed a good majority of the silhouette lineup for ourselves; I see no reason to continue discussion on the matter.

Besides Villager is pretty much a lock; he ain't going anywhere.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Level 5 isn't second party? I always thought it was. Still would make sense as an addition though.
Nah, Nintendo of America just publishes Yokai Watch in the US, is all. Same deal with Layton. In Japan Level 5 is completely independent.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I am hoping for a Mario Odyssey Stage, but what I want even more is Bowser's Castle and The Theater(Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door).

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Laugh at me if you want, but if the Miis come back, I honestly hope King of Fighters gets some representation even as a Mii costume.

If Tekken and Virtua Fighter of all things can get costumes, then surely we can get a KOF related outfit for the Mii Brawler. Yeah I know it was a thing (probably) because of Bandai Namco and Sega already having playable characters in Smash 4, but still, Sakurai has played KOF before too, so maybe his inner 1995 can come through.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Laugh at me if you want, but if the Miis come back, I honestly hope King of Fighters gets some representation even as a Mii costume.

If Tekken and Virtua Fighter of all things can get costumes, then surely we can get a KOF related outfit for the Mii Brawler. Yeah I know it's because of Bandai and Sega, but still, Sakurai has played KOF before too, so maybe his inner 1995 can come through.
Tekken and Virtua Fighter had the benefit of being from companies with characters in the game though.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
The stages this time around should be really interesting...while we've had new titles for Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, and Kirby, there are other series that haven't had as much in terms of "new" locales.

I can definitely see the Odyssey being a stage that travels. Frankly, I think that makes the most sense considering that travel was a major aspect of the game in general. I think of that isn't what we get, I'm confident that New Donk City will be stage.

For Zelda, I have a feeling it'll be something more stable with a Guardian stage hazard. I don't know that any particular group is more important than the others, so I don't think any particular area (Zora, Rito, Goron, Gerudo) would be the main location. This COULD be another travel stage I imagine.

With Sun & Moon...I don't really know what to expect. I really like the Kalos League Stage in Wii U, but I'm not sure what the equivalent would be. Alola Pokemon League doesn't seem as epic.
what about an ultra wormhole stage where you travel to all the ultra beasts homes?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Wha- Why YoKai Cat? That series hasn't gone anywhere.
Here's someone who said it better than me:

Anyone have any thoughts on Yokai representation? It's stupid popular in Japan, decently popular in Europe, and popular enough in North America to warrant most of the games getting released there. Like, I feel like Jibanyan could cruise in just because of how insanely popular the series is in Japan, with sales rivaling the Pokemon games. Kind of surprised how little the series is talked about here given how the series had tie ins with Universal Studios before the rest of Nintendo's franchises did. Also, more food for thought, it's the first Nintendo franchise since Kirby to get multiple seasons of a TV series and a movie. In a strange turn of events, it was arguably the most successful new franchise of the Wii U era after Splatoon so I think it would be super strange if it got entirely passed over in Smash. I mean, think about, WFT got in largely because of how crazy well the Wii Fit games did in the Wii era so while couldn't the same principle apply to Yokai?
Granted, it's not a Nintendo series persay; it's a Level-5 franchise, but I can still see it happening.

Also, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice is back. Ain't seen you in forever, how you been?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
If I recall correctly, Bowser Jr. did get spoiled before Smash 3DS was officially released.
So did every character in the ESRB leaks, and the group of text rumors that predated it.

Oooh...I actually like the idea of Ultra Space being the stage. Especially with the Ultra Necrozma Battle theme playing? I Imagine that would crazy nice.

I would imagine that Ultra Beasts, as well as random legendaries could always go flying across the background of the stage too...imagining it actually makes it seem ideal. I like the idea!
That actually reminds me of Spear Pillar from Brawl, which was one of my favorite stages (except for the part where it was rotated 180 degrees with mirrored controls).

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Here's someone who said it better than me:

Granted, it's not a Nintendo series persay; it's a Level-5 franchise, but I can still see it happening.

Also, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice is back. Ain't seen you in forever, how you been?
But it's popularity is dead. I'll say it again, if it's popularity was maintained until today then Janemba-cat would definitely get a spot. It feels super obscure now.

?????????????

Smash Master
Oh, that reminds me...they GOT to have a Miitopia stage purely so we can have the Miitopia soundtrack on it. It was so good!

Chron

Smash Journeyman
So did every character in the ESRB leaks, and the group of text rumors that predated it.

That actually reminds me of Spear Pillar from Brawl, which was one of my favorite stages (except for the part where it was rotated 180 degrees with mirrored controls).
I want that stage back, my brother hates it.:laugh:
EDIT: THAT POKEMON MYSTERY DUNGEON SOUNDTRACK THOUGH!!!!

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Right, I meant to say he wasn't mentioned in the Gematsu/Sal Romano leaks but I might be wrong.
He wasn't in that one, but there's actually a good reason for it. The Gematsu Leak was a leak from incredibly early in development, hence why Chrom and the Chorus Kids were still on it and Greninja was just listed as a Gen VI Placeholder. Sakurai said...somewhere (Famitsu column?) that Bowser Jr. was added pretty late in development and was almost on the chopping block for time constraints.

AadmM

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6988-1941-7966
Metroid stage ideas, anyone? How viable would some part of SR388 be, I wonder? I never did finish Samus Returns, but I did beat AM2R, so I can't say in full how different the worlds are design-wise.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Inkling(obvious)thoughts

1. Limited amount of ink in guns. B shoots ink, can be aimed. Ink refills over time pretty quickly.

2. Covering the stage in ink allows an inkling to swim in squid mode (special)
• Can swim quickly; much faster than run
• Has a different dash attack
• Can leap high out of the ink
• Can swim up walls

3. Forward Smash or down tilt is the paint roller. Can cover the floor with ink.
4. Splat bomb special can help cover stage in ink
5. Ink slows down either opponent's movements slightly or their dodge rolls

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I feel like the SSB4 characters weren't shown because the characters that initiated the Inklings were meant to be the "Old Guard", so to speak. The original 12, Melee's starting 5 minus ICs plus Marth, and Brawl's E3 2006 trailer minus Snake are kind of accepted as the figure heads of Smash at this point. With Smash 4, aside from the third party additions, I didn't think that many of the characters hit that level of being iconic aside from :4duckhunt:,:4littlemac:and :4villager:. Dollars to donuts Duck Hunt will be unlockable again, Little Mac's silhouette just looks like a regular dude if you obscure his gloves, and Villager's probably getting a major redesign.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Probably a Metroid 4 stage if we get any Metroid 4 announcements before Smash comes out. That being said, I still want to see a stage based off either Phaaze, SkyTown, or Phendrana Drifts. Especially Phendrana.

Though to be fair, Aether could represented a yet-to-be represent d Prime 2. Sadly, the Prime series often gets shafted in terms of appropriate representation. It’s as if Sakurai has no interest in the Metroid franchise....

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Sure a T-Rex trophy is cool...

but how about a T-Rex Assist Trophy? :grin:
LOL That would make the fights seem like Jurassic Park!

Dino-Smash Park is frightening in the dark
All dinosaurs are eating smashers
Someone let T-Rex out of the glass
I'm afraid it will KO me
'Cause it sure isn't like Barney
And it's fighting for the one that's not my friend
OH NOOOOOOOO!

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Probably a Metroid 4 stage if we get any Metroid 4 announcements before Smash comes out. That being said, I still want to see a stage based off either Phaaze, SkyTown, or Phendrana Drifts. Especially Phendrana.
Not that it really matters, but Fusion is considered Metroid 4. On the start-up screen it says Metroid 4 before the Metroid Fusion logo comes on screen.

AadmM

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6988-1941-7966

Though to be fair, Aether could represented a yet-to-be represent d Prime 2. Sadly, the Prime series often gets shafted in terms of appropriate representation. It’s as if Sakurai has no interest in the Metroid franchise....
Oh man, a dimension-shifting stage from Prime 2 would be amazing. Dark Aether racking up damage in small percentages over time with safe zones and everything.

I'm sure people would find it kind of annoying, but I dunno, sounds fun. And hectic!

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Metroid stage ideas, anyone? How viable would some part of SR388 be, I wonder? I never did finish Samus Returns, but I did beat AM2R, so I can't say in full how different the worlds are design-wise.
Surface of SR-388 from Samus Returns would be neat...perhaps even battle on top of Samus's Gunship that could make for an interesting floating platform that can land and take off during the battle...maybe even have an Alpha or Gamma pop in every now and then as a stage hazard to mess with the fighters....

Also I've been wanting a Phendrana Drifts stage or Skytown for years!!!!

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
or how about instead it’s Mario controlled T-Rex that’s is an assist. But when Mario is on the battlefield, it’s the usual non-Mario at Rex?

“Leave it to me!”

Not that it really matters, but Fusion is considered Metroid 4. On the start-up screen it says Metroid 4 before the Metroid Fusion logo comes on screen.
Metroid Prime 4

Oh man, a dimension-shifting stage from Prime 2 would be amazing. Dark Aether racking up damage in small percentages over time with safe zones and everything.

I'm sure people would find it kind of annoying, but I dunno, sounds fun. And hectic!
Hectic as in Frigate Orpheon?

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Sure a T-Rex trophy is cool...

but how about a T-Rex Assist Trophy? :grin:
....forget the plain ole' trophy, having it go on a rampage in the middle of a free-for-all would be glorious.

or how about instead it’s Mario controlled T-Rex that’s is an assist. But when Mario is on the battlefield,
it’s the usual non-Mario at Rex?
That would actually be a really nice touch.

“Leave it to me!”
THE MEME LIVES

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Odyssey stage with a built in Final Smash. Stage is Fossil Falls. T-Rex in the background.

Cappy can appear floating around in a glass bubble. Shattering it perches the cap on last smasher. Cause of B triggers the Final Stage Smash. Toss of the hat onto the T-Rex in the background which runs to the battlefield. You can control the rex for a limited time.

AadmM

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6988-1941-7966
Hectic as in Frigate Orpheon?
Probably more so, with everyone crammed in/fighting over the relatively tiny safe areas in the Dark portion.

That said, I dunno what they would do for Light Aether, hazard-wise...or where exactly on Aether they would base it. Sanctuary Fortress would be my pick. Love the music.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I could almost see Cappy being related to Mario's grab, similar to a tether grab in air (but maybe you can bounce on him) or on the ground it could be something like DK's cargo grab but you have some level of control over the opponent's character temporarily. But Mario has some iconic throws I'd hate to see be changed.

I also like the T Rex as a Final Smash.

?????????????

Smash Master
Aw man. I just uploaded a new video on Smash 5 speculation, and it got immediately blocked worldwide for using Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon trailer footage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom