• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
So did every character in the ESRB leaks, and the group of text rumors that predated it.

That actually reminds me of Spear Pillar from Brawl, which was one of my favorite stages (except for the part where it was rotated 180 degrees with mirrored controls).
Ah yes the ESRB leak... remember those days quite well.

Sure a T-Rex trophy is cool...

but how about a T-Rex Assist Trophy? :grin:
That would just be amusing.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Shulk, Greninja and Robin are unique enough to warrant their stay.

- Shulk is the main character of the first Xenoblade game whose gimmick is the Monado Arts in Smash. He could still get cut in favor of Rex due to him being the newer Xenoblade main character but I can just see Shulk staying and Rex getting added to represent Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

- Greninja is still pretty popular. Could it get cut in favor of an Alolan Pokemon or even a Gen 8 Pokemon. It’s possible. There’s always the possibility of Greninja being turned into a DLC character to get money from the Greninja fans.

- Robin comes from Awakening and he’s not a Marth clone. He uses magic and has the disposable weapon feature as his gimmick. Could he get cut? Unlikely. He’s a breath of fresh air when it comes to FE representation in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Inkling's Final Smash is actually them summoning Callie and Marie with them starting a slow, unskippable wall of text everytime you boot up the game that makes opponents lose a stock out of boredom.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
Inkling's Final Smash is actually them summoning Callie and Marie with them starting a slow, unskippable wall of text everytime you boot up the game that makes opponents lose a stock out of boredom.
THIS IS PERFECT!!!

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
- Shulk is the main character of the first Xenoblade game whose gimmick is the Monado Arts in Smash. He could still get cut in favor of Rex due to him being the newer Xenoblade main character but I can just see Shulk staying and Rex getting added to represent Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
As far as their gimmick would go, I would say Rex and Shulk have absolutely nothing in common and there's certainly no reason we won't have both.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
On the "When will Smash be announced?" poll, " impossible" has gotten another vote since yesterday....

?????????????

Smash Master
Don't forget with Greninja, too, that he now has his new Satoshi-Greninja form, and it was a special promotion with Sun/Moon. He hasn't lost relevance.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
On the "When will Smash be announced?" poll, " impossible" has gotten another vote since yesterday....
Well Sakurai said he was done working on Smash, so how could we possibly have another game? /s

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
The Final Smash will probably be the Turf War itself. Opponents get thrown into a Turf War where they’re blasted by the teams. Get more of your team’s ink color to add extra damage and hopefully get a KO before “time” runs out.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
As far as their gimmick would go, I would say Rex and Shulk have absolutely nothing in common and there's certainly no reason we won't have both.
That’s why I’m more inclined to the idea of both being in; they’re very different from each other.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
So, if we're posting movesets, I'm about to show that if Sakurai isn't putting Toad in because of moveset concerns, then Sakurai is being intellectually lazy. Because it sure isn't Toad's fault. What follows is a unique moveset that is totally drawn from Toad's presence in the mario series. Nothing contrived or invented. I didn't come up with every normal attack, because you can probably imagine them. Kicks, jabs, headbutts, etc. I did describe his strengths and weaknesses generally.

Toad is very fast on the ground, but has poor aerial mobility. His attacks are surprisingly powerful for a lightweight character, but this is offset by generally poor attack range.

Neutral Special: Item Chest.
Ever since SMB3's Toad Houses, Toad has been associated with powerups in the mario series. When you press b, Toad pulls out an Item Chest from Super Mario Brothers 3. He can continue pressing b to cycle through the different power ups in his chest, like Shulk's monado arts. He can move around while doing this, running while holding the box over his head. Each powerup gives Toad a new neutral special. When equipped with a powerup, Toad get's the power up's suit. Powerups last for about 45 seconds normally, but taking damage causes the timer to run down more quickly. The power ups are:
Super Leaf: Toad's neutral b lets him float through the air by holding the b button down. Press the a button while performing this move to do a quick tail spin attack.
Golden Mushroom(The one from Mario Kart): Toad's neutral special is like a quicker, short range version of luigi's side b. Notably, this move can be "spammed", activated another time while the first attack is in progress. This lets you extend your range, but also puts you at risk of flying off the stage.
Ice Flower: Toad gets an iceball projectile, similar to mario's fireball.
Super Bell: Toad gets the jump and pounce move from 3d world. It is somewhat similar to Ganondorf's aerial flame choke, slamming the opponent to the ground if it connects, but moves at a downward diagonal angle.

Side Special: Minecart
This move represents Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. Toad jumps in a minecart and starts moving forward. The minecart is a bit slow, but while riding Toad can throw Turnips at 5 angles: forward, backward, up, and 2 diagonals.

Up Special: Propeller Helmet.
Coming from NSMB Wii. The Propeller Helmet lifts Toad up a great deal, and has a small hitbox on the propeller.

Down Special: Bombs.
Representing Wario's Woods. When this move is used, Toad sets a bomb on the floor in front of him, and kicks it along the ground. If it falls over a ledge it is affected by gravity. If performed while Toad is adjacent to an opponent, Toad plants a bomb on top of the opponent's head, which then acts as a sticky bomb that will detonate after a period of time. However, the Toad that planted the bomb is immune to its explosion, even if it gets stuck to his head.

Final Smash: Calling in the Brigade.
When Used the starshroom and with it the rest of the Toad brigade arrive on the battlefield. The starshroom flys back and forth over the stage while toads on the starshroom begin throwing poison mushrooms onto the field, which Toad is immune to for the duration of the move. They also throw Toad useful items from the mario series, which opponents can't use until the Starshroom leaves the screen. The Starshrrom stays on screen for roughly 10 seconds.

D

Deleted member

What I want as a new XC character is Metal Face, but, like, sized down even though it makes no goddamn sense while still no Ridley.
Also, because Metal Face's design is just too ****ing cool and much better than Rex's stupid pants

carnerd3000

Smash Rookie
Fairly obvious speculation, but I would not be surprised at all if Spring Man is in the game. I also think one of the ultimate questions we should ask of course is if we will get any more 3rd Party characters, and I know a lot of people think Crash Bandicoot might make it into the game.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Ah those rosters make me think back to when I revived the Roster Prediction thread...with the Roster Prediction Discussion thread!

I would post a roster of my own, but I have a Mac now and am pretty sure there isn't a Mac version of the Roster Maker. Anybody know if there's an alternative? I'd appreciate the help!

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Fairly obvious speculation, but I would not be surprised at all if Spring Man is in the game. I also think one of the ultimate questions we should ask of course is if we will get any more 3rd Party characters, and I know a lot of people think Crash Bandicoot might make it into the game.
There were probably more votes for 3rd parties on the Smash Ballot than 1st or 2nd parties.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Ah those rosters make me think back to when I revived the Roster Prediction thread...with the Roster Prediction Discussion thread!

I would post a roster of my own, but I have a Mac now and am pretty sure there isn't a Mac version of the Roster Maker. Anybody know if there's an alternative? I'd appreciate the help!
If you can run something like Photoshop or GIMP then Roster Builder 5 is a good alternative. A bit tricky to work with at first but the outcome is MUCH better than anything you can make with Roster Maker.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I didn't come up with every normal attack, because you can probably imagine them. Kicks, jabs, headbutts, etc.
Nothing against Toad, but I feel I should point out it takes a lot more than being able to think of 4 specials and a final smash to pitch a character as viable, especially when the specials are "here are four types of props that the character is associated with."

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
That’s why I’m more inclined to the idea of both being in; they’re very different from each other.
This is very true, Shulk and Rex powers draw from very different mechanics. Given the two games share a very interesting connection, think it would be interesting if they were both in.

?????????????

Smash Master
It's funny...the idea I always had for Toad is what they wound up using for Little Mac; a character that's super fast and super strong (referencing Super Mario Bros. 2), but is a terrible jumper.

Another idea I had is that he could carry heavy objects, like crates, above his head without slowing down, and had a special that gave him a "Block Mushroom" that had the same properties.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
A lot of choices that people are already repeating from the Wii U days are hitting the same wall. Toad is, once again, being talked about extensively. But if this is a game that focuses on unique move sets for new characters, why are we not throwing moveset ideas into the forefront? Having iconic characters is the point, yes, but not if they don’t have the ability to make somebody try them in-game.
Who is to say Toad wouldn't be extremely unique? I honestly think the fact that he and his game are designed as an polar opposite to Mario's games bodes well for Toad. Mario is Jumpman, created in a vast environment to take advantage of his ability between platforms, even as he attacks. Toad is stuck in confined spaces to overcome his inability to jump and problem solve via puzzles. (well, all this is the captain). I am almost at the point where I cannot see Captain Toad being added and able to jump.

As far as the Pokemon go, I do not disagree that Meowth and Eevee are popular. They always have been and surely always will be. But as far as a compelling moveset and design for a fighting game? There's where I feel Decidueye beats them. That's simply my opinion though.
Moveset time again. To me, Decidueye is just another Pokemon. This is not to say each Pokemon isn't unique, but not one of them has an aspect of the greater game world. Eevee evolving would be a great break to this.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I think with the Inklings holding neutral B should be them continuously shooting the splattershot in the direction they're currently facing, with back and forwards moving them and up and down letting them aim. The splattershot has too high rate of fire to work as a Megaman type jab and the ink bullets should cause no-knockback damage but push opponents slightly away.
I'd like to see side smash as splat charger, where it's incredibly weak at the start of charge but the longer you hold it the further the hitbox goes and the stronger it is, just like chargers in the game.
Dash attack can be a roller swing, and holding A can make you walk and paint the ground with a weak hitbox on the roller.
Jab as inkbrush swings. Just two swings back and forth, pretty simple.
Up and down air can be blaster which has great range but blind spots close to the Inkling and rather heavy endlag.
Side special is splat bomb like everyone else has mentioned. works the same as splattershot controls where you can move back and forth and aim up and down by holding B.
Up special is squid jump of course. A high reaching but no hitbox recovery with slight landing lag like Rosalina's.
Down smash could be ink mine.
Down special could be Bubbler, a special that charges the more you fight and allows temporary projectile invulnerability, nullifying all projectiles that hit you. Just like in Splatoon your head glows whenever it's available to use.
Crouch is definitely squid form. Inkling's run should be one of the worst in the game with crawling no better, until there's ink on the ground which drastically boosts crawl's speed and lowers their hitbox too.
Down tilt could be a quick Kraken spin.
I'd like to see FS being a combination of Killer Wail and Inkstrike. a cursor appears on the screen that you can control, and when you press B again your Inkling will bring out a Killer Wail and aim it at the cursor as an Inkstrike shoots directly downwards on the cursor position too, meaning opponents have to watch out for both hitboxes.
I'm not sure for the other attacks i missed out on, but finding weapons to fit into the gaps isn't hard at all.
Naturally taunts should include the "stay fresh~" pose and the "stay off the hook" pose. Win animations should be pulled directly from the game with the splattershot, charger, and roller win anims.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
This is not to say each Pokemon isn't unique, but not one of them has an aspect of the greater game world. Eevee evolving would be a great break to this.
When people talk about Eevee evolving, I think that they forget that this is Pokemon and not Digimon. It doesn't make sense to have Eevee un-evolve, that's certainly not being done to Lucario or Charizard. If you're going to have Eevee's evolutions, you might as well do a Pokemon trainer but with semi-clones, since it's not like anyone actually wants to play as Eevee anyway. I'd legitimately sooner go for Magikarp.

Honestly, I think Magikarp is how far you would need to take it to have a joke character at this point. Simply being silly or not a fighter doesn't cut it anymore, you need to be a fish flailing around out of water.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
A.R.M.S. representation is almost a given due to its success. Spring Man would be the obvious choice but could see Ribbon Girl or even Min Min making the cut instead.

3rd Party characters? I could see them adding, at the very least, one more. I wouldn’t mind Crash at all.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
When people talk about Eevee evolving, I think that they forget that this is Pokemon and not Digimon. It doesn't make sense to have Eevee un-evolve, that's certainly not being done to Lucario or Charizard. If you're going to have Eevee's evolutions, you might as well do a Pokemon trainer but with semi-clones, since it's not like anyone actually wants to play as Eevee anyway. I'd legitimately sooner go for Magikarp.

Honestly, I think Magikarp is how far you would need to take it to have a joke character at this point. Simply being silly or not a fighter doesn't cut it anymore, you need to be a fish flailing around out of water.
I agree, it doesnt make sense for you to choose to de-evolve him.
I mean, that is your perspective.
I have pictured Eevee as having the ability to evolve once per stock. Each stock he starts as Eevee, and you have the opportunity to evolve him to power him up into any of his evolutions. Each works with more or less the same moveset, but slightly altered principles. Jolteon having faster attacks, for example.
Then he dies and you start back as Eevee. You can change your battle strategy to reflect the situation.
I think this perfectly balances the lore of Pokemon with the gameplay of Smash.

Last edited:

Spikeez

Smash Cadet
Rayman could happen, but then there's also the Rabbids to consider since they are a thing again.

My hopes would be Rayman as a playable character while Rabbids are either an AT or just a regular trophy.

Last edited:

AadmM

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6988-1941-7966
Just gotta say you all are doing a fantastic job with all the Inkling speculation. Creativity AND humor. Good stuff!

Man I can't wait to see how they play.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The Final Smash will probably be the Turf War itself. Opponents get thrown into a Turf War where they’re blasted by the teams. Get more of your team’s ink color to add extra damage and hopefully get a KO before “time” runs out.
What's wrong with this?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
My ARMS guesses:

twintelle
min min
helix

I really cannot see Spring Man happening, and even more I cannot see one of the other character being an Alt. ARMS is based around the unique character design more than perhaps any other in Nintendo history. I do not think they would disrespect the series by having them blandly be alts for each other.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I agree, it doesnt make sense for you to choose to de-evolve him.
I mean, that is your perspective.
I have pictured Eevee as having the ability to evolve once per stock. Each stock he starts as Eevee, and you have the opportunity to evolve him to power him up into any of his evolutions. Each works with more or less the same moveset, but slightly altered principles. Jolteon having faster attacks, for example.
Then he dies and you start back as Eevee. You can change your battle strategy to reflect the situation.
I think this perfectly balances the lore of Pokemon with the gameplay of Smash.
I suppose if one imagines that it's a group of Eevees
But I should also point out that, again, Eevee itself is a terrible character to have in Smash, and yet avoiding it basically means playing PT without being able to switch.
Also, "more-or-less the same moveset" would be massively under-serving several of them. Vaporeon has enough to be her own character, largely with moves that would be very different from the rest of the co-evolutions (acid armor, the tail, etc.). One thing that they deserve to their credit, unlike other similar groups in Pokemon like the Pans, is that they aren't just pallete swaps.
Well, the later ones kind of were, but the first five are all fairly well-defined.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I love how people think that if you can come up with four moves and a final smash, then that means a character works. And somehow it makes that character unique. Never take any other part of their fighting style into consideration.

Meshmaster101

Smash Cadet
I feel like it is more likely that an ARMS character does not make it in than if one does. A Splatoon character didn't make it into Smash 4 and Splatoon was a much more succsessful game than ARMS.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
My ARMS guesses:

twintelle
min min
helix

I really cannot see Spring Man happening, and even more I cannot see one of the other character being an Alt. ARMS is based around the unique character design more than perhaps any other in Nintendo history. I do not think they would disrespect the series by having them blandly be alts for each other.
Spring Man is ARMS's Pikachu or Mario or Link. He's the one you first see on the cover. He's the first character on the select screen. You can type in ARMS on Google and none of the other characters show up for a while.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace

Where my head is at the moment. If the roster got this big I'd imagine it would be after all updates/DLC. Would consider two more, likely Balloon Fighter and someone from Retro's supposed new IP. Blank spot for a FE Rep from FE Switch. (Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit retained as alt costumes)

Also considering the idea that the roster may start much smaller and adopt the Splatoon/ARMS kind of update model.

So, I expect the roster to be smaller than this either way. But this is my dream right now.
I personally want Ribbon Girl over Spring Man simply for the multi-jumps. I'm a sucker for characters with extra jumps. I wish they could amalgamate all of ARMS into one or two reps, but that just wouldn't do it justice.

Also quoting my roster thread post since I see some other ones floating around here. Can't wait to see how wrong we all are.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Here's my roster predictions. I'm generally assuming no/minimal cuts, though I'm unsure for the future of Dark Pit, and possibly Lucina. My roster has 12 newcomers, as well as the return if Ice Climbers and Wolf.
I don't feel like making new icons for the newer characters, so I'll detail the placeholders here.
The LoZ placeholder is for Mipha. I think we'll get a new Zelda character, and Mipha is my favorite from the new selection of characters, so I'd like to see her. Plus her trident + water-related powers could be intersting.
The Fire Emblem placeholder is actually Corrin and there just isn't an icon in Roster Maker for him/her lol.
The Pokemon placeholder could be for any gen 7 Pokemon. Decidueye, Mimikyu, or w/e happens.
The Random next to Shulk is for Rex, whether he comes as just Rex or Rex & Pyra isn't really important to me.
The last Random placeholder is for Spring Man.

67 characters in all, 69 if Dark Pit and Lucina remain with their own spot on the roster.

switch specualtion roster.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom