• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Shadow isn't even the most iconic character in his own series lol.
In terms of iconicness, I'd rate them
1) Sonic
2) Eggman
3) Tails
4) Knuckles
5) Shadow

Yeah Shadow ranked higher on a popularity poll, but that's a different thing from iconicness.

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
So, if the Box Theory is true and the rumors are correct, then what do you guys, excluding echo fighters here, think of the lineup of newcomers in the base game this go around?

Inkling
Ridley
Simon
King K. Rool
Isabelle
Incineroar

You know, I was down about it at first but the more I think about it, I'm happier and happier if these are the six we're getting at launch.
Pretty good.

I wanted Incineroar a lot. Ridley and K. Rool were the most iconic Nintendo villains not in, and were arguably overdue. K. Rool in particular looks pretty gucci. Also, both were obviously requested.

I don't care much for Simon specifically. But I like Castlevania and he has his supporters. Also they gave me Richter, and barring the other, they bring some new stuff.

Isabelle is pretty cute, and a quite popular character that can appeal to sorts the rest of these characters might not.

Inkling is from Nintendo's newest franchise that's really been a success, and really represents the game well.

Potato_

Smash Lord
I'm probably more interested in what the remaining Assist Trophy's are now that you mention it. There is bound to be some surprises there...
I don't think there's many left. so the next AT showcase will probably be the most brutal of them all when it comes to character deconfirmations.

Do you guys think we will get anything for October?
I'm willing to bet yes. Some sort of reveal or new info for sure.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Like I said yesterday I don't think any other video game villain has been in more media from inception to the current day than Eggman.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I don't think there's many left. so the next AT showcase will probably be the most brutal of them all when it comes to character deconfirmations.
I dno, it's pretty hard to be more brutal than what they did to Ashley, not even stating her name or anything but showing her as an afterthought.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
In terms of the box theory, given I'm sure everyone in this thread has talked about this to death. I'm just going to throw one of my explanations here again:
All I'm saying is when it comes to the box theory is this:
I remember a lot of paranoia and hysteria over the fact that some characters weren't shown on the back of here.
Hell, I remember people trying to use this as "evidence" against the ESRB leak.

It's just the biggest problem I have with the box theory, is that it's literally an unfinished mock-up. Couple this with Sakurai's statements about how nobody knew about the veterans or newcomers and the fact that it doesn't line up with Verge's claims at all.
If I'm correct, the game hasn't even gone gold yet, so that makes it even less likely the promotional team would even know the full details of the roster.
Especially given how the hype cycle is going so far.
But anyway, I talked about this to death.
I'm just done with the box theory being thrown around like proven fact.
Also, stop cherry picking with Verge's claims.
Stop it.
It's confirmation bias, you know it, and it makes your claim flawed.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Logically we must if the boxed consoles and bundles are going out early November.

I have one other theory about the box, if anyone wants to hear me out. It's that we'll only get two more characters... Before the box goes out and there may be more reveals in late November as one last GOTCHA!

Draugen

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, like someone said here: RIP smash speculation. Goddamn box theory and leakers. Some intern makes a mock up from a box and now we are like 2 days just talking about it.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
The SE character being DLC would imply that the Smash team would develop DLC in tandem with the full game, which is something I just can’t see. Sakurai’s comments in the past lead me to believe that they wouldn’t even think about downloadable stuff until the actual game was finished and ready to ship.

Last edited:

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman

I'm willing to bet yes. Some sort of reveal or new info for sure.
Fortunately(?)I've already been brutalized.

Or I'd still be pushing Shovel Knight.

Sleeps with Butterflies

Smash Apprentice
I mean, neither is Ken to be fair. Or Ryu for that matter. Ask any near 30 American gamer out there who actually played Street Fighter on the SNES who their favorite fighter is, and at least 70% of them will say Chun-Li. When they announced Ryu back in 4 days, I was confused, and disappointed to say the least. I know that he was meant to be the main character, but Chun-Li's fans outnumber his. Even non-gamers know her, when they have no idea who Ryu and Ken are. At least give the girl an AT, Sakurai. Jeeze.

Edit: Only meant to quote one person.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I’m thinking we have to.

If the console bundle has the Everyone is Here poster with every character planned to be on it, then we will know all characters before it becomes available on Nov 2.

Right? Am I missing something?

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
So we might get more stages right? In this case I might seriously reconsider my confidence about 103 being the final number (and prepare myself to change my avatar as a sign of loss of my stupid bet, although I'll only do it when a specific new stage is actually confirmed). It directly contradicts what was said in the Direct because the vocabulary and presentation made it look very explicit that 103 would be the final count especially by showing the SSS and saying all stages would be unlocked from the get-go. And no they didn't say the number of stages was "turning out to be 103" as I saw someone saying, they said it "turned out to be pretty impressive" while the word "total" was used to describe the 103 number and was used in multiple languages, as other languages don't use literal translations of "turns out" giving an impression of unfinishedness. And yes even if the stage count is higher than 103 I'm still not gonna change my mind about the presentation used in the Smash Direct explicitly suggesting no more stages, not that I want to deny reality but I'm gonna consider it as a misleading affirmation in hindsight (not in a bad way since more stages is always good, and I hope we'll have room for an Alola and a DKC:TF stage, but still).

I was gonna say that if we get new stages they'd all be new stages because they'd be added at the end of the list because stages are classified by apparition order in the SSS... but while writing this post I thought about stages being moved in order to make room for more old stages. It also isn't incompatible with the box hypothesis as those stages could all be from already represented series, although it now leaves some hope for characters from currently unrepresented series assuming Ken and Incineroar aren't all we're getting.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Vergeben being right so far is a huge part of why I refuse to believe 2 and not 3 left.

I for one can't see how he'd get everything right, but ONE character, especially when even the box art theory people are using two of his characters to champion their theory.

I mean...how are you gonna use him to champion your theory, but write off one of his claims? You can't have both worlds.
Incineroar and Ken come from all three of his sources.

The Square Enix character comes from one of his sources (maybe two), and is therefore unverified. It's why Vergeben just now confirmed that Incineroar is the Pokemon rep, as all three of his sources corroborated it. The Square Enix rep hasn't been corroborated, and could potentially be incorrect.

Therefore, you can use Incineroar and Ken for box theory and disregard the Square Enix rep, as it's possible that the source is incorrect (i.e. they have false information) or doesn't have the full story (i.e. the character is DLC).

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm so glad this game is out in three months.
We came up with box theory and lost our minds in the span of two days, can you imagine what crap we'd come up with over two years?
Actually I don't even have to imagine, that old cloud theory tells me all I need to know about what went on here about a decade ago.

Last edited:

Raspberry

Smash Journeyman
Schrödinger would be so proud of all of us right now. Don't forget that we live in a timeline where the box theory is simultaneously true and false until one of the truth values prevails.

As for the Stage Selection Screen, even if the positioning of the random button at the start raises some doubts, it's still worth noting that there are 6 empty spaces left, not 5. Thus, having 108 stages + the random button would still leave one empty space. Maybe something related to Spirits?

domriver

Smash Lord
Guys question: The game SHOULD be finished by November correct? *early*? Say before the 7th. They have to ship the game out for reviews etc..??
After that happens LEAKS GALORE will start but if Sakurai/Nintendo want to beat the leaks then the FINAL Smash direct should be around what time?
Im giving a date range from Oct 15th THROUGH Nov. 2nd. I think its when the final direct will be.
Surprise announcement Early Dec. concerning DLC i think.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Yeah, like someone said here: RIP smash speculation. Goddamn box theory and leakers. Some intern makes a mock up from a box and now we are like 2 days just talking about it.
Speculate anyway.
Nothing's stopping you from just making your own guesses regardless of what the current "likely outcome" may be.
Right now, it's a bunch of people who are either determined about a side, or don't care and let people know all the time but still, for some reason, gave up on speculation.

Nothing's stopped. Make your own decisions. Haha.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The SE character being DLC would imply that the Smash team would develop DLC in tandem with the full game, which is something I just can’t see. Sakurai’s comments in the past lead me to believe that they wouldn’t even think about downloadable stuff until the actual game was finished and ready to ship.

btw
Pyra Pyra
“Box theory is ****ing stupid”
~@-crump-

Sign me up
It's probably in the planning phase right now. Resources are still likely being spent on the base game, but if they want to work on a 3rd party character as soon as they finish, now would probably be the time to start negotiating for the rights.

Not saying this mysterious SE rep is certainly going to be DLC, but let's not rule out the possibility.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I want to use the old ZSS amiibo to unlock that ZSS :(
Next game...or mods
Remember when Sony had free online? It was okay.
Compare their free service to their current service.

Yeah. Let’s help Nintendo give us a better service, people. This isn’t mathscience.
I miss the days when Sony had free online (and will probably miss Nintendo having free online)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

The Square Enix character comes from one of his sources, and is therefore unverified. It's why Vergeben just now confirmed that Incineroar is the Pokemon rep, as all three of his sources corroborated it. The Square Enix rep hasn't been corroborated, and could potentially be incorrect.

Therefore, you can use Incineroar and Ken for box theory and disregard the Square Enix rep, as it's possible that the source is incorrect (i.e. they have false information) or doesn't have the full story (i.e. the character is DLC).
It's worth noting that when he was asked which source told him about the SE rep, he said it was "the one you know about", implying it's the one who basically nailed E3 + Simon. It's been his best and most specific source so far, and generally been the one who's given him information first aswell, so it still carries a lot of weight.

Last edited:

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
Schrödinger would be so proud of all of us right now. Don't forget that we live in a timeline where the box theory is simultaneously true and false until one of the truth values prevails.

As for the Stage Selection Screen, even if the positioning of the random button at the start raises some doubts, it's still worth noting that there are 6 empty spaces left, not 5. Thus, having 108 stages + the random button would still leave one empty space. Maybe something related to Spirits?
If true it's probably being reserved for a DLC menu button a la Smash 4.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So, if the Box Theory is true and the rumors are correct, then what do you guys, excluding echo fighters here, think of the lineup of newcomers in the base game this go around?

Inkling
Ridley
Simon
King K. Rool
Isabelle
Incineroar

You know, I was down about it at first but the more I think about it, I'm happier and happier if these are the six we're getting at launch.
Inlkling: Great. Looks like a fun and unique character. 9/10
Ridley: Never really wanted him to be honest... Always assumed he was too big. 5/10
Simon: Thanks to him, The NES representation feels complete. 9/10
King K. Rool: Another character I really don't get the hype for... 4/10
Isabelle: How can you say no to that face? She Looks adorable. Can't wait to play her. 9/10
Incineroar: I chose Litten in Sun and Moon, and always hated the attention that Rowlet and Decidueye got... So It looks like I got the last laugh. Also, He has so much meme Potential 10/10

Overall: I'd be okay with this roster. While there are some characters I really don't want, Most of these characters seem right up my alley
so... I'l Give it a 7.5/10

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
It's worth noting that when he was asked which source told him about the SE rep, he said it was "the one you know about", implying it's the one who basically nailed E3 + Simon first. It's been his best and most accurate source so far, and generally been the one who's given him information first, so it still carries a lot of weight.
Regardless, it's unverified information. It could be completely false or incomplete. Until Vergeben comes out and explicitly says "We are getting a Square Enix character" I wouldn't fully believe it.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

The Square Enix character comes from one of his sources (maybe two), and is therefore unverified. It's why Vergeben just now confirmed that Incineroar is the Pokemon rep, as all three of his sources corroborated it. The Square Enix rep hasn't been corroborated, and could potentially be incorrect.

One problem there man

It’s the same source that told him about Ridley, simon and isabelle

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I'd still find it funny if it ended up like so:

"Geno has finally joined the battle! However, he is not part of the base game, nor will he be available at launch. He will be available for free to people who have a Nintendo Online Subscription at a later date."

That's the one scenario I can think of where both Verg and Box can co-exist.

Geno'd be DLC, thus he wouldn't 'need' to be on the box, but he'd still be unveiled like Mewtwo was.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm a full fledge boxer.
I've gone to smashboards every sunday for years now.
I want more of u to accept the box into your life.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Can I just say box theory or not, Vergeben or not, it's looking like one of the two theoreies/leaks is correct and honestly, getting one more character in base with Verg doesn't really make a difference to me (especially since it's 3rd party).

Maybe that's why I'm kind of apathetic to mixing Vergeben and Box theory. Like if we do get one more character in base and it's an SE rep that doesn't change how I feel about the base roster (very pleased but surprised at the slow down of reveals at the end).

Like seriously I want Sakurai to cause an upset in both the theories and leaks, but it's not looking likely :/

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
On Sonic character iconicness. They're all iconic for different reasons.

You have Eggman being the lovable bad guy with his various incarnations all being somewhat goofy or serious, or leaning one of the two ways. Which is likely why people love him (myself included) so much, he's funny but can be threatening. He's also willing to step up and be heroic every once in awhile which I also like.

Tails being Sonic's sidekick, best pal and all that good Goku & Krillin stuff. Also kinda developed as the series went on as a lovable mechanic dork.

Knuckles being his first proper rival who had similar abillities but also his own unique spins like being able to break walls and climb, not to mention his cool look and then the three basically formed a power trio from that point on. Knuckles and Tails also were pretty big in the comics, which also had its slew of unique characters. Heck in Adventure 1, Knuckles was who actually fought the main threat almost as much as Sonic did, both of them fought Chaos quite a bit, and Knuckles is prominent still in both Adventure games, the lore into the Master Emerald and Chaos Emeralds was actually expanded on.

Shadow was introduced in a game that quite a few people got their first exposure to Sonic after SEGA went 3rd party, and to people who mostly stuck with Nintendo consoles I think that's one of Shadow's strengths for peoples remembering of him, Adventure 2 love it or hate it, is a game quite a few people first think of when they think "Sonic" alongside that of course the classics like Sonic 1. Shadow is also the only major character to go through a massive story arc, quality of the games in said arc notwithstanding, I think this is why people (myself included) got attached.

Which is why one of these 4 would be the next character, but of course Knuckles is an AT now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom