• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Incineroar and Ken come from all three of his sources.

The Square Enix character comes from one of his sources (maybe two), and is therefore unverified. It's why Vergeben just now confirmed that Incineroar is the Pokemon rep, as all three of his sources corroborated it. The Square Enix rep hasn't been corroborated, and could potentially be incorrect.

Therefore, you can use Incineroar and Ken for box theory and disregard the Square Enix rep, as it's possible that the source is incorrect (i.e. they have false information) or doesn't have the full story (i.e. the character is DLC).
In his most recent post Verge points out how correct this guy has been so far. TPC I love you once again but I don't think this is it chief. If you're gonna trust any of Verge's sources, it should be this guy.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
May as well throw my hat into the ring for the box theory.
Not counting any leaks, I think 2 Characters is just about as much as we should expect.
With Vergeben in mind, Inciniroar and Ken seem like pretty safe bets to fill up those last 2.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Regardless, it's unverified information. It could be completely false or incomplete. Until Vergeben comes out and explicitly says "We are getting a Square Enix character" I wouldn't fully believe it.
It's a slight possibility, but I don't consider it particularly likely that only now that source is going to be wrong. Either way, since he's asked his other sources about the specific name someone else came to him with, we should find out what they have to say on the matter before long.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
One problem there man

It’s the same source that told him about Ridley, simon and isabelle
That isn’t the issue. The issue is the source still hasn’t even confirmed if the SE rep is in base roster or not.

That’s the one big thing we are waiting for to see if we can nip this Box Theory in the bud.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
That isn’t the issue. The issue is the source still hasn’t even confirmed if the SE rep is in base roster or not.

That’s the one big thing we are waiting for to see if we can nip this Box Theory in the bud.
The main thing with TPC's post was simply that the SE rep may not exist which is what it seems Smashoperatingbuddy123 set out to disprove. Of course TPC goes on to state the SE rep may be DLC which is as you said Nether the bigger issue.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
"Geno has finally joined the battle! However, he is not part of the base game, nor will he be available at launch. He will be available for free to people who have a Nintendo Online Subscription at a later date."
That would be so ****ing dirty and uncommon from Sakurai though..

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Honestly, I'm going to be getting the damn service anyway, so the DLC being free for subscribers would be nice for me.

Selfish? Hell yeah. I don't care. Don't @ me

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Why do specific spin-offs need to be represented in the form of a moveset when Mario Kart, for example, has a stage?

Does Mario not represent Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, and other games already? I'm not quite sure why specific games or series need to be represented in the moveset of the character. Shouldn't the moveset represent the character?

There's more than one way to "rep" things. That's probably why I dislike the word "rep" when it comes to characters. For specific things in games, like Earthbound for example, Ness’ entire party has roles in the game. They aren't playable, but they are represented in another way. Why is that a problem?

Characters, it is my belief, are picked because of their personal potential. They aren’t picked and then suddenly saddled with the question, “How they can they specifically represent the game they come from?” The character represents themselves, which in turn represents the game. That’s a key difference.

Let’s just I disagree with this, vehemently.
I wanted make a follow up on this because I agree. The majority of the reoccuring cast in the mario spinoffs are already playable so I find the idea that those games also needs a dedicated character slightly weird. With that said
  • Mario kart had 3 stages (2 in ultimate), items, and 2/5 of the characters that have been playable in MK is playable in smash. Mario Karts got more representation than most series get.
  • And you could barely get better representation for Mario Golf than Daisy (With peach's side smash).
  • And Tennis has both that side smash and the Waluigi assist trophy.
  • Party is the odd one out with nothing spesific, but still for the newest mario party, 11 out of its 20 characters are playable in smash.
like 9/10 times "spinoff rep" used used as an extra excuse for why Waluigi/Toad/Daisy* should be added. But at the same time they mostly also doesn't want the moveset to be too spinoff based.
And it's not like any of those would be able to represent Kart better than Bowser Jr. and Wario already do.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I mean, It's probably not that different from asking to buy both the Wii U and 3DS versions for Mewtwo back in Smash 4.
They will most likely give the option to buy the character without the subscription a week or two afterwards though. Like with Mewtwo.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I know we've posted the Spongebob boxing meme like 5 times, but I haven't seen this one yet:
Who's on the box?!

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I know we've posted the Spongebob boxing meme like 5 times, but I haven't seen this one yet:
What's in the box?!
Well, it'd be the game in a steelbook case, a pretty neat Switch Pro Controller, and a Polaroid of a purple and yellow chair signed by Masahiro Sakurai.

D

Deleted member

It's worth noting that when he was asked which source told him about the SE rep, he said it was "the one you know about", implying it's the one who basically nailed E3 + Simon. It's been his best and most specific source so far, and generally been the one who's given him information first aswell, so it still carries a lot of weight.
So what you're saying is that Geno's coming home. Gotcha. ;)
I mean hey, the World Cup didn't come home to England this year, so this is as close we're gonna get to a happy ending in 2018.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
....I dont like this mindset. Sorry, but the box theory has been the dumbest thing I've heard.
Do you have evidence to prove this point, or are you just denying it because you don't like it or agree with it?

Because it definitely seems like you're doing the latter to me.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
So, does anyone think there will be a Pokemon Direct anytime soon? I'm thinking of when they would reveal a Pokemon newcomer for Smash, but would they have a Direct for Let's Go?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Last edited:

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
if any character was a mewtwo reveal, I would assume they would be pretty last minute. I think people forgot the sheer chaos that was caused by no mewtwo in smash 4, even before he wasn't confirmed to be in launch people were ****ing going ape over seeing lucario in smash 4. That announcent was probably a last minute thing to make people chill the hell out.

I know verge said square enix yada yada, but if Sakurai saw a character not be announced, go "oh god" and decide to do a similar last minute addtion in dlc, wouldn't that be Skull Kid or even Waluigi, the Waluigi garbage hit like national news and forced a response from reggie, I would be surprised if the last minute DLC request character would be Geno over those 2.

I mean, the SE character could be DLC and like, erdrick still, but Mewtwo seemed to be a special case in response to the community going buck wild, i imagine if we get a pre release DLC announcement, it would be a similar case.

Noipoi

Howdy!
So, does anyone think there will be a Pokemon Direct anytime soon? I'm thinking of when they would reveal a Pokemon newcomer for Smash, but would they have a Direct for Let's Go?
There could be, but I honestly don't know what they could reveal except for that fancy schmancy new Pokemon and a Smash newcomer.
Then again the direct could be like 5 minutes, that's all the time the'd need.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Goku for smash
as a Captain Falcon echo
There could be, but I honestly don't know what they could reveal except for that fancy schmancy new Pokemon and a Smash newcomer.
Then again the direct could be like 5 minutes, that's all the time the'd need.
I wonder if they'll reveal a Smash newcomer, even. I mean, it's very possible, but I wouldn't expect anything more than them mentioning Gen 8 or something.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I'm siding with Vergen on this one, Incineroar & Ken as the finals for the base roster sounds like something Sakurai would do, as much as I'd hate to admit it.
Honestly, Not in my shoes, But for other people I can see this being the final 2 Newcomers, not sure why so many people don’t like it

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm siding with Vergen on this one, Incineroar & Ken as the finals for the base roster sounds like something Sakurai would do, as much as I'd hate to admit it.
If you side with verg that'd mean Incineroar, Ken and a square enix character (please Geno) would get in.
Unless you believe the SE character is dlc, but that feels like an excuse to explain box theory in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom