• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Honest question for everybody.

Do you think the guy who drew the mural knows the full roster?
More than likely the artist knew all the characters, but either doesn’t draw them until they’re near a character reveal or they’ve all been drawn but the ones who aren’t announced yet are omitted
I think there's at least 100 people who know the full roster. All people who wish to keep having jobs and feeding their families.
Then you have some who don’t mind risking their jobs, families, and lives just to give outsiders Sakurai info
Ken is iconic af in his own series and in gaming history, he's literally Mr. Clone Character himself.
And him being a clone of Ryu in Smash would continue such a tradition

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I do wonder though how people would react to a second FF character like Terra.
How about Chocobo?

- Literally in every Final Fantasy game in some capacity except FF1
- Has an entire spin off series dedicated to it, including a new game on the Switch "Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Everybuddy"
- Got a mii costume
- Cute! (and marketable)

Not saying Chocobo is likely or anything but he would be a great way to represent FF, I think he would at least make a great Assist trophy.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I'd love to have Terra for Smash. I believe that if Sakurai is looking for another FF character, it's gonna be Terra.
Still interesting to consider that the first people that came to Sakurai's mind were Onion Knight(Luneth) and Bartz

Sakurai: Exactly. And within the FF franchise, Cloud is without question the most popular choice. A number of people fixate on the fact his original game was never released on a Nintendo console, but if we were to limit our choices to characters who appeared on a Nintendo console, we’d end up with Bartz from FFV or the Onion Knight from FFIII—how would that work? Maybe they could change jobs or something… Actually, that would be kind of interesting

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
How about Chocobo?

- Literally in every Final Fantasy game in some capacity except FF1
- Has an entire spin off series dedicated to it, including a new game on the Switch "Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Everybuddy"
- Got a mii costume
- Cute! (and marketable)

Not saying Chocobo is likely or anything but he would be a great way to represent FF, I think he would at least make a great Assist trophy.
Introducing CHOCO-SLIME

It is a Slime being carried by a Chocobo. A Mog will appear during special moves.
Go our monster creation!

MrPerson0

Smash Rookie
“I don’t think it’s reasonable to make someone pay for a game and then prepare a network connection and charge a monthly fee.” -Satoru Iwata.
Whoever came up with this Paid online needs to be fired. Even though I may or may not like this, I'll get it anyways.
I hope you realize that is a fake quote that is spreading around recently. Here's what he actually said regarding online:

"We therefore believe that services which ask our consumers to obtain paid memberships are not always the best. We cannot promise here that Nintendo will always provide you with online services free of charge no matter how deep the experiences are that it may provide, but at least we are not thinking of asking our consumers to pay money to just casually get access to our ordinary online services. "

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Actually, if we’re being honest, the SE character could be in base game and Incineroar could be DLC.
Can someone ask Verg to confirm whether or not Incineroar is base game?

Because even if SE rep(Geno or whoever) is in base game, we still have to be 100% sure that Incineroar is in base game or we’re still in the same spot.

Omega Tyrant Omega Tyrant
Are you able to ask him?

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Actually, if we’re being honest, the SE character could be in base game and Incineroar could be DLC.

Because even if SE rep(Geno or whoever) is in base game, we still have to be 100% sure that Incineroar is in base game or we’re still in the same spot.
Quite honestly I would hope for this to be the case.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
The fact that he didn't even mention Cecil hurts.
Cecil is my favorite FF Protagonist, but quite a few people find him fairly boring unfortunately. Fortunately Cloud is my 2nd favorite.

I'm used to this though, my favorite lord in FE is Eliwood lmao.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Still interesting to consider that the first people that came to Sakurai's mind were Onion Knight(Luneth) and Bartz
That's really interesting because FF6 is usually considered to be the best one pre-Playstation.

...and even might still be considered the best one.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I do wonder though how people would react to a second FF character like Terra.
I'd be alright with this considering that I am a longtime fan of the Final Fantasy series since playing Final Fantasy X (which is still my favourite out of the series.)

As for who I think it will be, that is very hard to say at the moment. But if anything, I would expect another one to be as DLC (although I might not rule the possibility of another one for the base.)

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
That's really interesting because FF6 is usually considered to be the best one pre-Playstation.

...and even might still be considered the best one.
He probably had the job system in mind, which back then was kind of FF's big deal. The Bravely games and heck even FFX-2 kinda expanded on them, so maybe that's part of why.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
He probably had the job system in mind, which back then was kind of FF's big deal. The Bravely games and heck even FFX-2 kinda expanded on them, so maybe that's part of why.
So what you're saying is...

Agnes is coming after all!

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord

If I remember correctly Verg himself doesn't really know one way or another.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Wow Ridley killed Pong THAT easily?? Either Pong is weak in health or Ridley's Up B has massive damage/knockback.
Don't you also get a point if you KO assist trophies? It's kind of concerning how easily Pong gets killed, seems more of hindrance than help if your opponent can basically get a free point. At least in time mode, not exactly sure how KO'd assist trophies work in Stock or Stamina.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
No. Incineroar doesn’t really matter.
If it isn’t Ken, but is still an echo that fits in the group of Palutena to Cloud, it still doesn’t break the theory at all.

If an echo like Dixie or Shadow is announced, then that would break the theory and we could all be blasting party poppers with Isabelle.
This was assuming Vergeben is accurate about Ken and Incineroar, meaning it it breaks the box theory because they exist too

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
In the SE Rep? Verge seems decently confident at this point. He notes his source "makes a habit of NOT being wrong".
Incineroar? Well, all 4 of his main sources say he's in, so.
Naw. I am asking if he knows whether Incineroar is in the base roster for sure. Because if he is DLC, then the SE rep is base game.

If they are both Base game, then *victory theme*

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
In the SE Rep? Verge seems decently confident at this point. He notes his source "makes a habit of NOT being wrong".
Incineroar? Well, all 4 of his main sources say he's in, so.
Maybe I missed something but I thought Verg didn't know if Incin, SE, or Ken were in base game or DLC or what have you.

He says they're all in but he doesn't know which would be DLC

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think the person who made that gamefaqs thread that Michele shared has an interesting point. The thread in question: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77004278

They're the promotional team, and likely do not know the whole roster. While Nintendo could have told them "save space for three more characters, one spot after Ryu," they just as likely (if not more likely) told them "just use the characters revealed on the website." The fact that Corrin was bumped over to leave a space on the other side could have been an artistic choice, as the person on gamefaqs pointed out, to have attempted symmetry instead of leaving three blank spaces on one side. This also explains why Isabelle isn't on there, even though they could have shared Isabelle with the promo team since she was revealed straightaway after the bundle's reveal anyway / they could just let the promotion go up after the direct.

You can argue "it's a mockup, why would they care about one side having three blanks?" Well, then why care about bumping Corrin over, when they'll need to update it anyway? They probably just thought that attempted symmetry would give off a nice impression for the box's design, as anyone who cares enough to notice (and we have people taking note of the 9-to-the-other-side pattern), would probably think it takes away from its nice look.

Of course, nothing is conclusive, so it could go either way. Just something to think about.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Don't you also get a point if you KO assist trophies? It's kind of disconcerting how easily Pong gets killed, seems more of hindrance than help if your opponent can basically get a free point. At least in time mode, not exactly sure how KO'd assist trophies work in Stock or Stamina.
Thing is you gotta go out of your way to hit Pong. Things constantly moving, also dangerous with how powerful its little pellet is. You risk getting yourself killed if you head all the way over to Pong and you can't fly for numerous reasons. So I'm not really shocked.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Then you have some who don’t mind risking their jobs, families, and lives just to give outsiders Sakurai info
Well people have done dumber things for E-fame. Look at all those dumb injury challenges kids do by setting themselves of fire or eating tide pods.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
How? Box theory doesn't come from Vergeben. It's independent from Vergeben but can be combined with it to create the most likely situation of what fills in that remaining boxes.

The last two characters could be Zack Fair and Rhythm Wrestler or Medusa and Geno and the box theory would still hold true.
Again, if Vergeben characters exist ALONGSIDE a character outside his picks, it breaks the box theory, as there is only space for 2 more characters (allegedly). Hell, even if the Square character exists in the base game, it breaks the box theory.

The box theory is ONLY true if there are 2 more characters. That's it.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
This was assuming Vergeben is accurate about Ken and Incineroar, meaning it it breaks the box theory because they exist too
No. Box Theory doesn’t need Ken. It just needs an unknown character tile mixed in with confirmed fighters(aka an echo). And it does.

If we got Medusa and Agumon, Box Theory is still not broken.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom