• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
That's fair. I'd rather read a biology textbook than play a game wherein on first site, it looks like I'm in a war scene. Which immediately makes me disinterested in CoD, MGS, and a host of other prominent (dull, in my eyes) shooting and stealth games.

Oh you're chilled more than my soul. Nothing I've said tonight has been too serious. I'm much too tired for that.

Yet will I sleep? Yes! But now? No!
Ohh I understand. Head to bed soon my man.
For the record, I've wanted Toad for years. Poor guy does tend to get the shaft!

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
For Mario’s personality, his big thing seems to be, while he has some minor love interest with Peach and is known for supposedly selflessly running into Bowser’s castles to rescue her, he’s really just the kind of guy who likes running around, exploring, jumping on things, and is easily distracted by any treasure he happens to spot along the way,

Probably one of the few more specific bits of personality exposition in a main series Mario game I can think of is how he reacts to getting letters from Peach in Super Mario 3D Land. He’s just strolling along, gets a letter, then he’s basically like “Oh, crap! That’s right, I have a princess to save, what am I doing?!” and starts freaking out, and then, after the next level, he’s mellow again.
As I read that, it just strongly confirms how I feel about Mario characters and Mario himself. Most of them are snorefests personality wise. That's why the more emotive ones stand out.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Whoa what happened to Valkyrie PK?
Nothing, I just wanted to change back to Ammy a bit, I still definitely want Valkyrie as a Namco newcomer though, she'd also doubles as a retro character too.
Why do so many people want to see their character in a fake leak? So you can have your hopes needlessly raised only for it to be beaten back down again?
It's less... "Oh leak, well according to my factual delusion, a leak means my character is in Smash" It's more along the lines of... "What!? My character is in a leak for Smash? Someone actually acknowledges my character's existence?"

It's more about characters being relevant and acknowledged, than anything else when it comes to leaks.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
So here's a little game.

Disregard how likely you think the characters are.

Tell us how interested or satisfied you'd be with the character if included.

Incineroar
Ken
Isabelle
Geno
Isaac
Monster Hunter
Lloyd Irving
Dixie Kong
Impa
Skull Kid
Black Shadow
Bandana Waddle Dee
Ninten
Diskun
Raiden
Big Boss
Shadow
Elma
Rex and Pyra
Jeanne
Spring Man
Wonder Red
Aaaaaaalrighty, I'm playing:

Incineroar: any pokemon at this point wouldn't hype me anymore, I like pokemon games…but last gen that ever got me hyped at all was gen 5, lol.
Ken: indifferent but glad if he makes it in! it just makes absolute sense.
Isabelle: I actually will be super happy about this one, I know… I'm weird… but I really do want her in Smash.
Geno: Super happy for his fans, I never asked for him personally but I would be happy for everyone who wants him.
Monster Hunter: Absolutely don't care.
Lloyd Irving: Second character in this list that would make me SUPER happy, you have no idea...
Dixie Kong: I don't care either, sorry.
Impa: About time
Skull Kid: Third character that would make me super happy. I will play him like crazy and even main him most possibly.
Black Shadow: Idc
Bandana Waddle Dee: Good for his fans… i absolutely don't care about him tbh
Ninten: Finally some Mother love! But i prefered Porky or Masked Man…
Diskun: literally who?
Raiden: Love it, always open to Metal Gear characters and he is definitely my favorite one besides Snake
Big Boss: Meh… I prefer Raiden, but he is ok i guess.
Shadow: Idc… I prefer metal sonic, yeah, i'm that guy… lol
Elma: Idc about any xenoblade that isn't shulk's, sorry
Rex and Pyra: Idc about any xenoblade that isn't shul… give me her swimsuit PLEASE
Jeanne: oh **** off… i like the games but one character in smash is enough (enough bad stigma…)
Spring Man: I don't really care, but it would be nice I guess… am I the only one who thinks the hype for the game literally died pretty quick? maybe it's just me…
Wonder Red: I don't care honestly, but cool nonetheless!

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Incineroar - neat
Ken - neat
Isabelle - neat
Geno - neat
M. H. - neat
Lloyd - neat
Dixie - neat
Impa - neat
Skull Kid- neat
Black Shadow - neat
B. W. Dee - neat
Ninten - neat
Diskun - neat
Raiden - neat
Big Boss - neat
Shadow - neat
Elma - neat
Rex - neat
Jeanne - neat
Spring Man - neat
Wonder Red - neat

I got lazy...

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
You'd be surprised with how "THIS EXISTS THEREFORE IT NEEDS SMASH REPRESENTATION!" exists. People would say the Miis are bad because they don't represent the Mii games like ***** is the final smash gonna be E3 2008 because gotta rep Wii Music or some ****?
I've definitely never said that about Miis before... ever... I'm very happy with their very Mii-like movesets, just don't ask anyone close to me

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
especially as people are all "OMG YES NINTEN I WANT A CHARACTER WHO LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE NESS AND PLAYS LIKE NESS"
Let's be fair here. Ninten is basically Ness before Ness even existed. Because that's exactly what he is. :p

D

Deleted member

You'd be surprised with how "THIS EXISTS THEREFORE IT NEEDS SMASH REPRESENTATION!" exists. People would say the Miis are bad because they don't represent the Mii games like ***** is the final smash gonna be E3 2008 because gotta rep Wii Music or some ****?
WOAH WOAH, WOAH!!!
Don't give Nintendo any ideas... because you know that Wii Music final smash would be extremely OP. Might even be a worse case than Bayonetta!

Noipoi

Howdy!
Ninten actually looks just like Ness.
it's not that big a deal, in fact he might be an echo because he looks so much like Ness, but that still bothers me.
even with our two Marios and three Links you could tell them apart from a distance, what's the difference between Ninten and Ness? Hat placement?
I don't hate Ninten, and I wouldn't mind his inclusion, this is just my opinion.

Also Kumatora should've been Lucas' echo fighter.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
As I read that, it just strongly confirms how I feel about Mario characters and Mario himself. Most of them are snorefests personality wise. That's why the more emotive ones stand out.
Another way to put it is, if, if you’ve played a 3D Mario game (let’s say, Super Mario 64 as an example) and spent a good amount of time just jumping around the starting area, his motivations are probably about the same as yours while you’re doing that. He really does seem to be designed mainly as the player’s connection to the world if I put it that way, much like Link is. (Which is thus a non-personality as you said, but at least it’s an iconic non-personality :p )

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
it's not that big a deal, in fact he might be an echo because he looks so much like Ness, but that still bothers me.
even with our two Marios and three Links you could tell them apart from a distance, what's the difference between Ninten and Ness? Hat placement?
I don't hate Ninten, and I wouldn't mind his inclusion, this is just my opinion.

Simple
Give him a Smash unique design.

It's not like we haven't had made up designs for Smash before, like ZSS's boots or Roy's... everything.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Simple

It's not like we haven't had made up designs for Smash before, like ZSS's boots or Roy's... everything.
See, to me, that feels a bit...odd.
Ninten isn't...really much. He never speaks. If I'm not wrong, he's basically just Ness.
So robbing him of his original design?
Feels like you're just taking the whole original character away.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Simple

I'd still much rather have Claus for a 3rd Mother rep

And I don't mean when he's just red head Lucas

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
An easy way to make Ninten more visually distinct from Ness (who borrowed from Ninten in the first place!!!) is to make him shorter than Ness. Aside from the unique hat, shirt, and kerchief he had in the EarthBound Beginnings commercial, you can say that, since all the sprites in EarthBound and Mother 3 are taller than the ones in Beginnings, that Ninten would naturally be shorter than Ness or Lucas.

Slavic

Thinking about things differently, if Galacta Knight is considered alt costume worthy than I don't think Ninten would achieve a much higher status in Smash

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
To SOME people (read: me), simplicity is perfect :yoshi:
I'm fine with simplicity, I think that's good in many cases. A lot of Mario characters just feel stale to me, even when they try to be emotive it doesn't stick.

Another way to put it is, if, if you’ve played a 3D Mario game (let’s say, Super Mario 64 as an example) and spent a good amount of time just jumping around the starting area, his motivations are probably about the same as yours while you’re doing that. He really does seem to be designed mainly as the player’s connection to the world, much like Link is.
I feel more connected to Link because even though he's basically what Mario is for his games, he still feels like he has some sort of personality behind that mask and I actually like Link's character despite the fact that if you asked me questions about him from several games I'd almost surely not know. It's hard to describe.

D

Deleted member

I hope youre actually Scott. Or his stalker.
Well I guess it has to be one of the two.
I dunno either. Last time I called him it ended up being a fake spam call to sell me Madden '09, and that is the sure fire way to make me hang up on someone.

OR THE THIRD MOTHER REP, BUT THANKS SAKURAI FOR INCLUDING HER IN SOME WAY I GUESS.

GRRRR.png

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Incineroar - Wrestler cats do not interest me from a design standpoint.
Ken - Ken is a step up from Ryu to me. His aggressive style and fiery hado make him more appealing to me. The fiery Shoryuken is prime Shoryuken.
Isabelle - I would be bored with this inclusion in every way. That said, I really like Villagers tree mechanics, so I could end up liking her, too.
Geno - I always love when metal or wooden figures come to life in fantastical stories. Playing as one raised by a Star spirit would be pretty neat to me.
Isaac - Isaac’s telekinesis and geokinesis are something I hope to see in ultimate. The potential for unique gameplay is high.
Monster Hunter - I am not a fan of the Monster Hunter mechanics. Smash, however, is a different story and I can’t imagine I would dislike the decisions Sakurai would make for this character.
Lloyd Irving - Loved his game. His place as a sword fighter worried me that I’ll be bored by it in comparison to others on this list. However, I can see how his dual-wielding style and over the top maneuvers may end up making him unique enough to impress me.
Dixie Kong - Blonde Diddy. Love DKC 2. But she wasn’t the reason. That said, I don’t dislike her or Diddy. I just want her to be unique enough compared to Diddy. If that’s the case and they give her a unique moveset with the hair, I’ll be enjoying this character.
Impa- Depends on how they differentiate her from Shiek.
Skull Kid - Any character with magic and mischief gives me hope for a unique and creative moveset. I have high hopes for this one.
Black Shadow - Complete indifference
Bandana Waddle Dee - Because of the spear(and ONLY because of the spear) I would be interested.
Ninten - Hate his face. But, as usual, if the moveset is interesting compared to Ness, I would play him anyways. I love Ness.
Diskun - The ultimate joke. Would probably enjoy it.
Raiden - As a unique character? Sure.
Big Boss - Why? We have Snake and(assuming the above) Raiden. Raiden would be better. Hope to avoid oversaturation of a single series.
Shadow - Shadow is an exciting character for me if he can keep some of his unique features compared to Sonic. Using his jets as attacks, teleporting and maybe Chaos spear.
Elma - I didn’t play her game. Would be happy for everyone else.
Rex and Pyra - Same as above.
Jeanne - Bayonetta made Smash 4 less enjoyable for me. I’d like to stop at her inclusion.
Spring Man - Never played Arms but this could be interesting to be sure
Wonder Red - As long as his combos don’t consume the majority of a match like Bayonetta’s do, then I would welcome this one.
He’s got a lot of fun possibilities in his moveset potential.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Thinking about things differently, if Galacta Knight is considered alt costume worthy than I don't think Ninten would achieve a much higher status in Smash
Ninten, as well as James Mcloud and Big Boss, are most certainly alt costume worthy

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I feel more connected to Link because even though he's basically what Mario is for his games, he still feels like he has some sort of personality behind that mask and I actually like Link's character despite the fact that if you asked me questions about him from several games I'd almost surely not know. It's hard to describe.
That WILDLY depends on what "Link" you're talking about.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
See, to me, that feels a bit...odd.
Ninten isn't...really much. He never speaks. If I'm not wrong, he's basically just Ness.
So robbing him of his original design?
Feels like you're just taking the whole original character away.
Eh, you wouldn't have to change much to make him unique due to him having such a simple design to begin with.
Assuming they're even going to bother putting Ninten in.
Roy's look is a mix of his multiple designs
Yeah obviously, but the point is it's still entirely Smash unique even if you can tell it's Roy.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Correction: Ness looks like Ninten.

This is like trying to put in Link but :ulttoonlink: was there first and already given the name Link, if that makes sense.

Ninten isn't...really much. He never speaks.
I'll take "This guy never played Mother" for 500, John.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
I'm not condemning you lol, just surprised, especially as people are all "OMG YES NINTEN I WANT A CHARACTER WHO LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE NESS AND PLAYS LIKE NESS"
Don't exaggerate, he doesn't look "exactly" like Ness...

His socks are red, his shoes are blue and his hat is turned to the other side. Totes completely different.

Umm, hold on. Every time I look at Ninten I remember that Ness doesn't have eyebrows. Even Lucas has them and Poo has Dragon Ball eyebrows.

That's kinda freaky looking.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Don't exaggerate, he doesn't look "exactly" like Ness...

His socks are red, his shoes are blue and his hat is turned to the other side. Totes completely different.

Umm, hold on. Every time I look at Ninten I remember that Ness doesn't have eyebrows. Even Lucas has them and Poo has Dragon Ball eyebrows.

That's kinda freaky looking.
Ness: The one character who thinks shaving your eyebrows is cool.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
He’s a plumber...but does he ever....plumb? How is he a plumber if he doesn’t plumb!!??

Slavic

another way to get around the similarities between Ness and Ninten would be to use Ana as Ness' Mother 1 echo instead of Ninten...

boy wouldn't that be incomprehensible to have happen for many, many reasons

P.Kat

Smash Champion
There was that one guy who couldn't remember her name and expected us to believe it a while ago right?
I'm not condemning you lol, just surprised, especially as people are all "OMG YES NINTEN I WANT A CHARACTER WHO LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE NESS AND PLAYS LIKE NESS"
I believe so, I think that was somewhere in August, ironically I can't remember when.

I'd much rather Kumatora as an echo than Ninten to be honest and don't even play Lucas/Ness.
Also Kumatora should've been Lucas' echo fighter
This! All of this. I still believe though, it (through the light of the blue moon) could happen.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I dunno... most seem to have pretty strong personalities. Just not strong stories.
I could not tell you Mario's thoughts on anything, but give me a scenario and I could pretty easily predict how any of the characters would interact.
:ultdiddy::ultdk::ultbowserjr::ultyoshi::ultwario: :ultbowser: Have boatloads of personality. :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina: Are not terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom