• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
From a Smash perspective, Ninten seems pretty unimportant.

In the game series he's from though? I'd argue he's one of, if not the MOST IMPORTANT character in the entire universe that the game takes place in. The only reason anything happens is because of his family and what he does to finish what his great grandparents started. Mother 1 has a pretty nifty plot underneath all that jank and that's a big point I give it over Mother 2.

Why do people want Ninten when You can have Claus
Because Ninten isn't dead.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Boy, the MGS series is probably the wackiest game series to ever have a "serious" story.
I am not even saying it is serious. Im sure it is wacky, based off the few things I know. Hell, now in my mid 20s, I'd probably even like the games.
But the subject matter turns me off so int
Also Ness should've been Lucas' echo fighter.
Fixed. The Mother series is amazing. It also is too good to get the type of reputation it will get for having three characters who (despite differences between Ness and Lucas, yeah I know), are the same.

Boy, the MGS series is probably the wackiest game series to ever have a "serious" story.
I am not even saying it is serious. Im sure it is wacky, based off the few things I know. Hell, now in my mid 20s, I'd probably even like the games.
But the subject matter turns me off so intensely that I don't think I'll get over it. My parents were actual hippies. My dad was at Woodstock. I just dont find value in glorifying killing and combat.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Well, he goes through pipes... close enough?
I remember back when Super Mario 3D world came out everyone lost their minds because in the opening Cutscene Mario and Luigi actually fix some pipes for once in their mushroom eating lives.

Last edited:

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
The Former British Empire of great Britain.
Also Kumatora should've been Lucas' echo fighter.
You my pal, have said the most truthful statement that could ever come from a human mouth... Earthbound/Mother wise anyways....

I dunno... most seem to have pretty strong personalities. Just not strong stories.
I could not tell you Mario's thoughts on anything, but give me a scenario and I could pretty easily predict how any of the characters would interact.
:ultdiddy::ultdk::ultbowserjr::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultbowser: Have boatloads of personality. :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina: Are not terrible.
I'd put Luigi in the boatloads section, Luigi's Mansion gives him more depth than the Mariana Trench.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I dunno... most seem to have pretty strong personalities. Just not strong stories.
I could not tell you Mario's thoughts on anything, but give me a scenario and I could pretty easily predict how any of the characters would interact.
:ultdiddy::ultdk::ultbowserjr::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultbowser: Have boatloads of personality. :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina: Are not terrible.
I think you missed an earlier post where I mentioned even those that do have a personality shtick don't really stick out to me barring a few exceptions. I also don't count DK and Diddy as they've branched out away from the Mario universe.

Luigi is fine. Daisy is fine. Wario is the best Mario character hands down personality wise, but he gets that personality mostly from his own set of games.

My point being they're all so stale, even when they emote I don't feel anything. Mario dancing in New Donk City to the music? In the moment it's fine I guess, but it doesn't stick out later on as Mario showing any sort of personality. I still don't know what Peach is supposed to be. I never played the Galaxy games, so my only exposure to Rosalina is through Smash and Mario Kart, which makes her feel like generic motherly cardboard character. Yoshi is...Well, Yoshi. Derpy dinosaur thing that's attempting to be cute, but feels soulless.

Bowser shows different traits depending on his games (with the RPG games apparently giving him the most personality), but Odyssey Bowser felt really stale to me. It's rawr I stole the princess but this time I'm in a suit. Just overly meh, and if they did show other personality traits, then I completely forgot them because they weren't memorable.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
As an alternative, we stop trying to shoehorn in Ninten as an echo representation of a niche series that has a pretty good deal, all things considered (RIP F-Zero) and consider echos that have a bit more actual popularity to them.

Don't get me wrong, from what I have seen Ninten would make sense - probably a little too much sense, all told. If you'd shown me him alone I'd have assumed it was Ness. But the echoes we have (Daisy, Chrom, Dark Samus) all had noticeable popularity before the advent of echo fighters. I'd prefer continuing this route, in all honesty.

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
Ninten as an echo fighter or semi-clone would be cool. If i had complete control i'd make him a weird hybrid of ness and lucas.

Lucas Nair, Ness Fair, Lucas bair, Ness Uair, Lucas Dair

Lucas Jab, Ness Dtilt, Lucas Ftilt, Ness Utilt

Ness Grab, but Fthrow is the powerful kill throw

Up Special = hybrid mix of both pk thunders. Easier to control like Lucas, but one singular hit like ness. At the cost of damage and maybe range?

Down Special: Pk Magnet. Lucas's Magnet that's in front of him, but with Ness's windbox.

Neutral special: Pk Beam. Literally just R.O.B's Neutral special.

Side Special: In the air it's lucas' Pk Fire, On the ground it's ness's.

*Shrug* . I'm not even sure how these moves would flow together. But as you can tell i really like multihit moves. :p

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
One why would Kumatora or whatever that pink haired girl name would be playable 2 the Sans and Earthbound jokes arent funny anymore

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I dunno either. Last time I called him it ended up being a fake spam call to sell me Madden '09, and that is the sure fire way to make me hang up on someone.
Hang up? How does one hang up a text?
Imagine Claus as a unique earthbound rep and we get more villans
Unique Earthbound Rep... I'm already lost.
How about we let the games that are done, stay done, and not risk ruining there legacy by giving them more than they need in Smash Bros? I think Dark Pit turned a lot of fans of Smash off of Kid Icarus... and honestly, thats fair. It is annoying to see an overabundance of obscure games, when more prominent ones get less love. It's just the price of being a game of conglomerate heroes.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
He’s a plumber...but does he ever....plumb? How is he a plumber if he doesn’t plumb!!??
There’s also that one pipe in Paper Mario Color Splash with a Toad stuck in it that he unclogged with a plunger. (You know, that plunger, that plays *that* music whenever Mario uses it in that game...)

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Did anyone here misses Alex Kidd? I used to play a lot when i was a kid. I'd love to see him in some way, maybe as a assist trophy or even as a simple trophy.
dude yes. alex kidd was great, i got really into rock paper scissor cause of his game when i was like 5 haha

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Also, and this I only know from comparing the PSI lists of the three protagonists, Ninten gameplay-wise is actually closer to Lucas, so one could argue him to be a Lucas Echo instead. And then you have the issue of two very similar characters having actually different movesets. It's quite the cluster between those three.

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
Hang up? How does one hang up a text?

Unique Earthbound Rep... I'm already lost.
How about we let the games that are done, stay done, and not risk ruining there legacy by giving them more than they need in Smash Bros? I think Dark Pit turned a lot of fans of Smash off of Kid Icarus... and honestly, thats fair. It is annoying to see an overabundance of obscure games, when more prominent ones get less love. It's just the price of being a game of conglomerate heroes.
What is wrong with more Mother rep

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
dude yes. alex kidd was great, i got really into rock paper scissor cause of his game when i was like 5 haha
I dont want to take a memory from you, but rock-paper-scissor is actually a widely known, popular game IRL. In fact, you might even consider it a fan favorite game.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
One why would Kumatora or whatever that pink haired girl name would be playable 2 the Sans and Earthbound jokes arent funny anymore
She isn't going to be playable because of how she's part of a Final Smash, it's just that it'd be cool.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Also, and this I only know from comparing the PSI lists of the three protagonists, Ninten gameplay-wise is actually closer to Lucas, so one could argue him to be a Lucas Echo instead. And then you have the issue of two very similar characters having actually different movesets. It's quite the cluster between those three.
Ninten has no offensive PSI at all tho, Ness and Lucas are closer to each other than Ninten is to any of them. :p It wouldn't stop them from adding the move, but at most to make him "unique", it'd be a combination of several aspects of Ness and Lucas' things.

Imagine it. He has the B-Air Spike and the Ness Stomp.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Ninten has no offensive PSI at all tho, Ness and Lucas are closer to each other than Ninten is to any of them. :p It wouldn't stop them from adding the move, but at most to make him "unique", it'd be a combination of several aspects of Ness and Lucas' things.

Imagine it. He has the B-Air Spike and the Ness Stomp.
I want, if he's in, to be kind of Chrom'd with both of their movesets together, but also I'm not sure that sentence I just said made sense, so I'm going to sleep

P.Kat

Smash Champion
So does my boi. Why don't plumbing companies hire him? He looks to be better at it :yoshi:
Especially since Mario makes him do most of the work.
I remember back when Super Mario 3D world came out everyone lost their minds because in the opening Cutscene Mario and Luigi actually fix some pipes for once in their mushroom eating lives.
Luigi: Hey Mario, do you know what you're doing?... Cause I don't.
Mario: Nope, just look busy until Bowser comes for his 9 o'clock kidnapping of Peach.
Luigi: Okie dokie Mario.

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
I mean Does Nintendo care about Ninten did he ever get a mii costume it would be Kinda of weird to put him as echo fighter after silence from nintendo about him

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I dont want to take a memory from you, but rock-paper-scissor is actually a widely known, popular game IRL. In fact, you might even consider it a fan favorite game.
haha true that, but alex kidd opened my eyes to that sport of kings first.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Instead of advocating for Ninten, we should be asking for Porky. We did just get 2 more heavy's via K. Rool and Ridley, but why not a 3rd?

Even with these 2, the series is in dire need of heavy characters.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I mean Does Nintendo care about Ninten did he ever get a mii costume it would be Kinda of weird to put him as echo fighter after silence from nintendo about him
Does Nintendo care for Ness? No.
Does Nintendo care for Lucas? No.
Does Nintendo care for Mother? Not really, the series is concluded and at rest.

Make actual arguments here.

Instead of advocating for Ninten, we should be asking for Porky. We did just get 2 more heavy's via K. Rool and Ridley, but why not a 3rd?

Even with these 2, the series is in dire need of heavy characters.
Do you really wanna make people complain about "too many heavies" before the game comes out?

Last edited:

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
i mean, no, nintendo doesn't really care about ninten. But it's an interesting hypothetical to talk about. There's always a chance after all. :)

with the reveal of chrom i'm still holding out hope for Birdo as a yoshi echo. :)

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Tbh, I don't really understand why we're so adamant that we even need another Mother character. Like, given the size and relative importance of the series the characters we have now seem pretty fitting to me honestly. I'd personally rather have a wider breadth of series added than double down on the small series already included.

Also as an aside, am I the only one who vastly prefers Lucas?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom