• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
I'm laughing remembering when people suggested that there were only 1 or 2 newcomers left after E3, or possibly even no more at all.

Sakurai said "I'm kind of hoping you aren't expecting too many new challengers," not "you get veterans, Inkling, and Ridley, now leave me alone."
SSB4 got 21 characters, i'd say we're getting only a half this time
So far there's been 8 characters revealed for Ultimate (Inklings, Ridley, Daisy, K. Rool, Simon, Richter, Chrom and Dark Samus)
I'm betting the last two characters are going to be Rayman and Geno, but i'm sure is echoes count towards the character reveal count.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm pretty sure Laura kate dale also said the first pokemon game on the Switch would be Pokemon Stars.

I don't trust Laura Kate Dale.
She also said Mother 3 and possibly a new F-Zero and look what came of that

Only thing she got right to my knowledge was Mario vs Rabbids

also didn’t she blame Doki Doki Literature Club for a UK teen’s suicide but that’s neither here nor there

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The Smash 3DS demo. I mean, it kind of technically is a standalone Smash game, especially if you have the special infinite use version.
I had it, but then I kinda just tossed it away once I got a hold of the actual game.

Ren Amamiya

Smash Apprentice
Who do you guys think would be announced next, from the following, maximum 2 uniques and 2 echoes:
Uniques:
Elma
Incineroar/other Gen 7
Chorus Kids
Bandana Waddle Dee
Isaac
Rayman
Skull Kid
Bandai Namco 2nd rep
Square Enix 2nd rep (may be Geno or someone else)

Echoes:
Shadow
Ken
Isabelle
Dixie
Impa
Black Shadow

I’m betting on Elma and Isabelle for sure, one of either a Gen 7, Waddle Dee or Chorus Kids for the 2nd unique, and either Ken, Shadow or Dixie for the 2nd Echo.

My reasoning for Elma being she was revealed as Xenoblade 2 DLC last week, and September is when Torna The Golden Country launches in full.
Skull Kid, Geno, Ken and Isabelle.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
SSB4 got 21 characters, i'd say we're getting only a half this time
So far there's been 8 characters revealed for Ultimate (Inklings, Ridley, Daisy, K. Rool, Simon, Richter, Chrom and Dark Samus)
I'm betting the last two characters are going to be Rayman and Geno
I honestly think you're lowballing, I think we have at least 4-6 more unique characters and a few more echoes.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
On the most crazy optimistic side of things, I don't see more than 10 unique fighters in total because that would be 2 every month until release.

I still say 3-4 are left.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm laughing remembering when people suggested that there were only 1 or 2 newcomers left after E3, or possibly even no more at all.

Sakurai said "I'm kind of hoping you aren't expecting too many new challengers," not "you get veterans, Inkling, and Ridley, now leave me alone."
I didn't expect a lot of newcomers, but to expect NONE after E3 was always laughable. They wouldn't have made a new trailer intro logo slash just for Ridley. :p

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Cross is a literal nobody, Lin is a walking joke along with Tatsu, and Lao doesn't even do anything that we see before the [spoilers].

Elma's the only option.
Even then Roxas makes a better nobody than Cross ever could.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
On the most crazy optimistic side of things, I don't see more than 10 unique fighters in total because that would be 2 every month until release.

Makes sense, echoes might not be the same as newcomers but they still take development resources.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

2 new characters every month isn't crazy, we got 2 in one direct after all

Chrono.

I'm pretty sure Laura kate dale also said the first pokemon game on the Switch would be Pokemon Stars.

I don't trust Laura Kate Dale.
She also said Mother 3 and possibly a new F-Zero and look what came of that

Only thing she got right to my knowledge was Mario vs Rabbids

also didn’t she blame Doki Doki Literature Club for a UK teen’s suicide but that’s neither here nor there
Sounds like Verg to me.

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
Who do you guys think would be announced next, from the following, maximum 2 uniques and 2 echoes:
Uniques:
Elma
Incineroar/other Gen 7
Chorus Kids
Bandana Waddle Dee
Isaac
Rayman
Skull Kid
Bandai Namco 2nd rep

Echoes:
Shadow
Ken
Isabelle
Dixie
Impa
Black Shadow

I’m betting on Elma and Isabelle for sure, one of either a Gen 7, Waddle Dee or Chorus Kids for the 2nd unique, and either Ken, Shadow or Dixie for the 2nd Echo.

My reasoning for Elma being she was revealed as Xenoblade 2 DLC last week, and September is when Torna The Golden Country launches in full.
Chorus kids and I guess skull kid, although I'd like bandana dee too. Impa and Black shadow would be cool echoes imo

StormC

Smash Hero
2 new characters every month isn't crazy, we got 2 in one direct after all
Well, we skipped July. It also depends how reveals are going to shake out; we got two in a Smash Direct. How many will we get in a General Direct? Will we get reveals outside of Directs? These are the most pressing thoughts on my mind.

So many questions... so little time. 3 months never seemed both so short and so long.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
We're talking about how Subspace and the 3DS version ate up Brawl's and 4's development time but don't forget that we still have no idea what that Spirits mode is going to be.

It's possible it's going to be another simple, forgettable mode like Smash Tour...but it could also be a lengthy single player campaign that, from a gameplay perspective, improves upon what Subspace Emissary did. Now I don't believe we're getting a story told through CG cutscenes with it, but remember that one of Smash 4's biggest was its total lack of single player content, so adding something like that would make sense.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
If we count EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER that was cut in SSB4 and then added back to Ultimate, then we're definitively getting a ****ton of characters.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
We're talking about how Subspace and the 3DS version ate up Brawl's and 4's development time but don't forget that we still have no idea what that Spirits mode is going to be.

It's possible it's going to be another simple, forgettable mode like Smash Tour...but it could also be a lengthy single player campaign that, from a gameplay perspective, improves upon what Subspace Emissary did. Now I don't believe we're getting a story told through CG cutscenes with it, but remember that one of Smash 4's biggest was its total lack of single player content, so adding something like that would make sense.
Who knows, maybe Nintendo hired another studio to make the cinematics so that they don't stop the development of the game itself.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I had it, but then I kinda just tossed it away once I got a hold of the actual game.
I still have the regular version of it, IIRC, but only because it’s the only way to do any kind of local multiplayer without buying a second copy of Smash 3DS.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Uniques:
Elma
Incineroar/other Gen 7
Chorus Kids
Bandana Waddle Dee
Isaac
Rayman
Skull Kid
Bandai Namco 2nd rep

Echoes:
Shadow
Ken
Isabelle
Dixie
Impa
Black Shadow

Personally, I think it'll be Incineroar. Or Buzzwole or whoever.
A new Pokemon is still hype (for me at least) but less hype than Ridley or K rool. Every reveal can't be as huge as those, you gotta have some low key reveals.
Maybe Isabelle will be revealed too, but i'm just being greedy. Incineroar and Isabelle are top of my list now that you know who is out.

Elma, Chorus Kids, Bandanna Dee I could also see. But I really think September might be new Pokemon time.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Uniques:
Elma
Incineroar/other Gen 7
Chorus Kids
Bandana Waddle Dee
Isaac
Rayman
Skull Kid
Bandai Namco 2nd rep

Echoes:
Shadow
Ken
Isabelle
Dixie
Impa
Black Shadow

My theory is that "Ultimate" means that this time around, nobody is left behind. Not just vets, but glaring holes are going to be plugged across the board.

Just think about it:
* Ridley and K. Rool rounding out some of the more notable villains, with the latter doing so incredibly conspicuously.
* Chrom filling out the core Awakening cast.
* Dark Samus explicitly representing the Prime series.
* Daisy being added so you could "play as your favorite Princess."
* Simon Belmont adding to the classic NES icons, with Richter there to showcase how the Belmonts have evolved.
* Lots of assist trophies from pretty much every series.

I really think this is going to be the game where villains and side characters shine. We're going to see picks like Isabelle, Ken, Tails, Skull Kid, Shadow, Geno, Elma, and all the rest rather than pulling in tons of new IPs and honestly I think it's better off for it. This looks to be the comprehensive Smash in every sense of the word.

I expect quite a bunch.
Yup, this is why I personally love Mimique's character predictions. People may consider them often "safe" or "boring" selections of characters but there is a reason why people want the standard 10-15 unique/echo characters on repeat for the past 6 months: They literally ARE the next logical selections.

Roberk

Smash Champion
>Sees Inkling teaser back in March
“Guys I don’t think we’ll get any newcomers, it’ll just be a Smash 4 port with Inklings.”

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I still laugh at people taking seriously the "don't expect too many newcomers", when clearly sakurai even made the comedic pause after saying that and all, plus, whoever knows this man, he would never say that seriously.
Yeah, he could have been kind of playing with our expectations in a positive way with that sentence. I still wanna remain cautious because before that he said "putting everyone in was our number one goal". But yeah, I think 4-5 more unique newcomers is plausible, and then who knows how many echoes.

StormC

Smash Hero
“Guys I don’t think we’ll get any newcomers, it’ll just be a Smash 4 port with Inklings.”
"Cloud will be cut and Snake returning is a pipe dream."

-me, about to have my mind freaking blown

Noipoi

Howdy!
E3 Direct
"It's just a port of Smash 4 with Inklings, Daisy, Ridley, and everyone else."
I'm so glad I don't see people saying this anymore, though I know they still exist.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I guess you can laugh at peoples' modest past expectations but it's better than the other way around where people think we'll get a huge amount and then we get like four.

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice
"They aren't gonna announce smash, it's not coming til like 2020, a port will probably be 2018 with Icies and maybe Inklings."-Me, as late as March 7th.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I know everyone was feeling cynical because of the amount of ports the Switch was getting, but jeeze, I still can't believe that people actually thought they'd make such a huge spectacle out of a mere port.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
E3 Direct
"It's just a port of Smash 4 with Inklings, Daisy, Ridley, and everyone else."
I'm so glad I don't see people saying this anymore, though I know they still exist.
I also used to think Ultimate would be just another port a la MK8 Deluxe, but i don't think it still counts as a port if they literally remade all stages and all characters with a new engine

StormC

Smash Hero
I guess you can laugh at peoples' modest past expectations but it's better than the other way around where people think we'll get a huge amount and then we get like four.
There's being cynical though and there's just being obtuse. People saying we were getting only 1-2 more fighters failed to see the big picture.

Sakurai and Nintendo know new characters are what sell Smash games. He wasn't going to leave us completely hanging like that.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’m sure everyone was aware but next year literally marks the 20th anniversary of Super Smash Bros. as a series so of course Sakurai would want to go above and beyond

Please. Dr. Mario's echo will be Dr. Amigo, no question.

Oh God WHY?!

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I know everyone was feeling cynical because of the amount of ports the Switch was getting, but jeeze, I still can't believe that people actually thought they'd make such a huge spectacle out of a mere port.
Didn't they film like a three or four minute live-action commercial in multiple exotic locations for the Pokken port?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom