• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
I think people should take comfortability in the fact that WE WILL get leaked gameplay footage before the game releases. Its bound to happen. A month before or a week before release, but it will happen.

We'll know more characters by the end of the month, and likely even more in 2.
Really, I wonder what would even be the point unless there is a story mode and people just really want to spoil those cutscenes.

We'll probably know everything by mid October, or early November at the latest. People only leak for the attention. What would they really get out of "Here's some more footage of stuff you already know about"?

MainJPW

M.T.A
Don't some of Sonic's moves come from Sonic the Fighters already?
Most of them, actually.

His forward tilt is his Horse kick:

Forward Smash is the Windup Punch:

His Fair is from Emerald Drive:

Up Air scissor kick is just Scissor Punch but with his feet:

As far as spinning moves here are some from his Fighters moveset.

- Spin Attack
- Spiral Spin
- Spiral Feint
- Double Feint
- Spin Rocket
- Spin Dive ( Where his Down Throw is from most likely )
- Head Spin
- Dizzy Spin

That explains his 8,000 different spin attacks in Smash.

Pulling stuff from that would be perfect for Eggman!
The same logic could work for Tails, too. Some people suggest that he would be a lot different from Sonic but fail to realise that he was pretty similar in Fighters. A clone could work, unique could work too.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Harder still =/= impossible
We have underestimated before, we shouldn't do that this time. And yes, there are people with a lot of free time, we've seen it.
It IS an impossibility though. Look at all those factors you need to take into account including the goddamn physics engine. One person can NOT under any circumstances make that in a decent amount of time, especially with the risk that comes with an update on the game confirming something that utterly wastes all the time and effort required to make it. By the time it'd be finished, we'd already be what, a year from now? Well after the release of the game? It simply is not feasible to put that much effort in fake footage

lurxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
lurxylux
Switch FC
SW 7645 5399 8874
Because you suggest that they're doing it with no history of doing it in the first place.
Sorry, I can not understand that it is not possible just because they have never done that before. It is not like we would have known if they had done it or not. And even if they never did that before, maybe they are doing it for Smash because they wanted to make it harder for everyone. If you cannot prohibit that infos are getting out you might as well overflood the internet with fake info so that the truth is hid.

It's just a theory and a tin foil one at that. But with how Smash 4 got leaked so early I could see them taking actions to hide the real leaks.

StormC

Smash Hero
I just want Eggman before Tails because Eggman is a more interesting character in personality and in moveset potential.

Controversial opinion perhaps but Eggman is more important to Sonic than Tails. Eggman is in every single game and the only character other than Sonic to be from the very first one. Tails is often sidelined or outright non-present, but Eggman is always there. Is there a single Sonic game without Eggman?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I think people should take comfortability in the fact that WE WILL get leaked gameplay footage before the game releases. Its bound to happen. A month before or a week before release, but it will happen.

We'll know more characters by the end of the month, and likely even more in 2.
Agreed, however I do think Sakurai will do everything in his power to reveal all newcomers before that point. I think we'll see all newcomers by mid November because of that.

So besides vergerer and other text leaks I don't think we will have the roster actually photo/video leaked before all the newcomers are revealed. I really hope so for Sakurai's sake :/

EDIT: Ok not literally everything in his power, othwerwise he would just reveal everyone already lol. He's playing a dangerous game that mister Sakurai.

Last edited:

TheKnight

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3539-9322-9633
Switch FC
SW-2614-3733-6607
Because you suggest that they're doing it with no history of doing it in the first place.
I definitely don’t think Nintendo did something like this, but you don’t need a history of something in order to do something new.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Really, I wonder what would even be the point unless there is a story mode and people just really want to spoil those cutscenes.

We'll probably know everything by mid October, or early November at the latest. People only leak for the attention. What would they really get out of "Here's some more footage of stuff you already know about"?
I'm personally banking on Sakurai just revealing the rest of the characters sooner, rather than just later where there is a high chance of a real leak ruining the surprise. Like I wouldn't be surprised if the Sept direct that may happen just shows everything, leaving the final news drop to be about story mode.

I'm also in the boat that there are more remaining characters than he is letting on but that's just me

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Sorry, I can not understand that it is not possible just because they have never done that before. It is not like we would have known if they had done it or not. And even if they never did that before, maybe they are doing it for Smash because they wanted to make it harder for everyone. If you cannot prohibit that infos are getting out you might as well overflood the internet with fake info so that the truth is hid.

It's just a theory and a tin foil one at that. But with how Smash 4 got leaked so early I could see them taking actions to hide the real leaks.
Fellas, how do we prevent leaks from happening again?
Up our security so we don't-
Take up hours of development time to make our OWN leaks!
You're getting a raise Jerry.

It don't make sense to me, it's easier to snuff out leaks by making sure nobody can record anything than to make time to make your own separate models to make your own blurry picture rather than just to make sure no headass with a camera walks into the office.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I just want Eggman before Tails because Eggman is a more interesting character in personality and in moveset potential.

Controversial opinion perhaps but Eggman is more important to Sonic than Tails. Eggman is in every single game and the only character other than Sonic to be from the very first one. Tails is often sidelined or outright non-present, but Eggman is always there. Is there a single Sonic game without Eggman?
He hasn't been in every single game though.

Sonic & the Secret Rings.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
It IS an impossibility though. Look at all those factors you need to take into account including the goddamn physics engine. One person can NOT under any circumstances make that in a decent amount of time, especially with the risk that comes with an update on the game confirming something that utterly wastes all the time and effort required to make it. By the time it'd be finished, we'd already be what, a year from now? Well after the release of the game? It simply is not feasible to put that much effort in fake footage
lol we jumping from "harder" to "impossible" now? Fine. Also reminder i said even a group of people could work on it, i never said it had to be one person. Hell Smashified even became a group of people, from where some of them are actually 3D modelers, people that can even make music, animate, etc. I'm just not closing my mind to the possibilities, that's all. I don't like having that type of mindset. And no, i'm not saying i'm believing any of it, I just don't like being that close minded cause i KNOW it is still possible. and again, not saying one person, necessarily.

post data: we could be talking about just a couple of seconds footage where almost nothing happens, I never said anything complex of great quality of anything, hell i even said "blurr the hell out of it" to not need to go to such length.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
lol we jumping from "harder" to "impossible" now? Fine. Also reminder i said even a group of people could work on it, i never said it had to be one person. Hell Smashified even became a group of people, from where some of them are actually 3D modelers, people that can even make music, animate, etc. I'm just not closing my mind to the possibilities, that's all. I don't like having that type of mindset. And no, i'm not saying i'm believing any of it, I just don't like being that close minded cause i KNOW it is still possible. and again, not saying one person, necessarily.
It isn't close minded because that kind of work would take well over the amount of time left for the game to release. Especially when you remember that Nintendo can just show stuff off which kills your work before you even get to finish it, it is far too much work amd ultimately impossible with the time we have left. The most time they'd have is from the E3 presentation to December, it's just not possible

SonicMario

Smash Master

I get why some would prefer Eggman before Tails in Smash. But Tails is one of the few sidekicks in gaming to actually be able to boast some degree of Luigi popularity where they're near as synonymous with the franchise as the main character. That's no small feat.

I assure you though if there had to be someone else other then Tails, I'd take Eggman. But at the moment, I think Eggman's best bet in Ultimate is as a boss in Spirits mode where he can be among other 3rd party villains like Dracula. And be able to show all the Smash characters one of his big machines.

D

Deleted member

Odd as it is to say this, Eggman probably has one of the best personalities in the Sonic franchise. I can't really think of any Sonic game where he's poorly written: He's either a goofball villain with hilarious dialogue, or surprisingly intimidating with how insane he can be. He really is comparable to Bowser in why people like him, I think; he's just always really well done, and again, as odd as it is to say this, a really enjoyable bad guy.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The problem with the "Nintendo makes these fake leaks" conspiracy theories (I saw a lot of them during Smash 4 speculation as well) is not just that they're a needlessly complicated way to try and fight leaks, it's also that using that method doesn't even make sense.

Let's say that Nintendo wants to throw people off, so they make an extremely convincing render of highly anticipated character - let's say Geno. This Geno render gets "leaked" alongside some gameplay footage. No there's people getting their expectations up for Geno. They're exciting for Geno. Then surprise! The game is released and their's no Geno. Yeah it's still surprising for everyone who believed it, but it's not a pleasant surprise for all those Geno fans out there. It would be extremely disappointing for them. Making a believable but fake leak for a character who won't be in the game is kind of a scummy thing to do and won't make fans happy in the long run.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

If we're talking character-focused spin-offs, he hasn't been in Tails' games.

Also, don't forget to mention that in terms of seniority, he would come before Tails, since Tails didn't show up until 2. He's the oldest character besides Sonic and the early concept for Vector,

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Fellas, how do we prevent leaks from happening again?
Up our security so we don't-
Take up hours of development time to make our OWN leaks!
You're getting a raise Jerry.

It don't make sense to me, it's easier to snuff out leaks by making sure nobody can record anything than to make time to make your own separate models to make your own blurry picture rather than just to make sure no headass with a camera walks into the office.
Y'know, I begin to wonder just how much people humanize corporations, especially video game publishers. I get that Smash is pretty much Sakurai's personal project with how involved he gets in every aspect of it, but Nintendo is a business.

It's just silly to think that Nintendo would opt for some cloak and dagger misinformation campaign to play us against one another or out of spite, rather than just releasing a memo that says "no cameras on premises." It's the same line of thinking that says Konami would somehow be "jealous" that Sega got more characters than them or whatever.

At the end of the day, they're just a company that cares about the bottom line.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
has anyone came across any pax gameplay? just fiending to see more gameplay of the game in motion

MainJPW

M.T.A
Eggman is in every single game and the only character other than Sonic to be from the very first one.
If it weren't for time constraints and storage space we'd be saying the same about Vector. RIP Sonic Band and extra characters in story mode's ending.

Tails is often sidelined or outright non-present, but Eggman is always there.
Tails is still there a lot and he only missed 3 games ( If we're being technical 5 with Secret Ring and Black Knight ).

If we're talking the past 10 years it's only because no one besides Sonic is allowed to be playable and as a result, he's rarely a playable character nowadays, but he continuously makes appearances in the plot and is just as much a part of the action as Sonic.

Is there a single Sonic game without Eggman?
If we're being technical:
Sonic Eraser
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic and the Black Knight

If you consider these "Sonic" games:
Tails Adventure
Tails Sky Patrol
Tails Music Maker

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Thing is, gameplay footage is ****ing ridiculously hard to fake, I doubted the ESRB leak in 2014, but seeing 4 characters duke it out including a character who has no moves that look similar to anyone else, I knew "This **** is impossible to fake at that point, this is it"
Is it weird I was 100% convinced the leak was real when I saw Shulk had his weird jumping animation from Xenoblade

Enchess

Smash Lord
Is it weird I was 100% convinced the leak was real when I saw Shulk had his weird jumping animation from Xenoblade
My absolute favorite detail of Shulk in Smash.

I bet if we were to go back and look at arguments at the time, the awkward jump animation was probably being used as evidence against the leak.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
My absolute favorite detail of Shulk in Smash.

I bet if we were to go back and look at arguments at the time, the awkward jump animation was probably being used as evidence against the leak.
That's why I think even a fake leak can get away with stuff like this. Things can look weird, specially if they are recorded from a crappy device or whatever, lol. Doesn't need to even look perfect to be either fake or real in the end.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
He hasn't been in every single game though.

Sonic & the Secret Rings.
Doesn’t he have a look-alike in the cutscenes? I mean, it is a separate character, but, kinda close enough, right?
But yeah, he didn’t even have a look-alike in Black Knight IIRC.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
We're doing "X is in the clouds" again?
Please tell me it's satire, I'm not strong enough to go through that again...

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I'm gonna be that one idiot on the forum and say that we are gonna get more newcomers than we expect.
I've said this before but Smash Ultimate has a longer Dev time (3 years vs 2.5 on Smash 4) without Sakurai having to start from scratch on an engine.

Watch the next direct drop 10-15 characters on us. WATCH:D

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
The Blacksmith NPC was Tails in Black Knight
I meant Eggman, not Tails.

(It is kinda weird that Normal Tails isn’t playable in Black Knight’s multiplayer when a lot of the other normal equivalents of other characters are playable in that, though...)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'm gonna be that one idiot on the forum and say that we are gonna get more newcomers than we expect.
I've said this before but Smash Ultimate has a longer Dev time (3 years vs 2.5 on Smash 4) without Sakurai having to start from scratch on an engine.

Watch the next direct drop 10-15 characters on us. WATCH:D
While that's a ludicrous amount left, you also forgot that there's no second version to take into account either this time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom