• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I guess you can laugh at peoples' modest past expectations but it's better than the other way around where people think we'll get a huge amount and then we get like four.
True, but then again people were taking Sakurai's words to heart when he said "Don't expect too many more newcomers" at E3, then proceeds to announce 5 more characters a month later.

There is a reason why a few of us feel this way.

D

Deleted member

You'd be surprised at how many topics there were on places like GameFAQs calling people stupid for not believing that we were just getting Ridley and Daisy and that it was still a port.

Double surprised at how many were sincere about it.
I wasn't expecting no one, but I will admit I was in the group that thought that there would only be like, two or three characters left and potentially no more Echos. A lot of that came from me just trying not to overhype myself and get disappointed, though. I wasn't all too surprised to be wrong about it.

EDIT: I never thought it was a port, though. That word has become such a buzzword in the Switch community lately...

I still think we're getting the full roster revealed by the end of October. Waiting until November is way too risky in my opinion, as the chances for leaks are gonna skyrocket in that month if we don't already know everything by then. A data mine leak is extremely likely to happen IMO if the full roster isn't shown off before the pre-load goes live, which will be around four to three weeks before release. I could be wrong, but I think part of why Nintendo is revealing things at the pace they are is to prevent that from happening. It's unfortunately what happened to Splatoon 2, Kirby, and Mario Tennis. The only way they could avoid that is by not doing a pre-load at all, which I kinda doubt they'd do that.

Last edited by a moderator:

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice
I
I’m sure everyone was aware but next year literally marks the 20th anniversary of Super Smash Bros. as a series so of course Sakurai would want to go above and beyond

Oh God WHY?!
I've said this in places like discords but to make it more public, I have a prediction. On January 21st, 2019, they are gonna release DLC that adds 1 new skin to each of the original 12. A 64 bit costume

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
I’m sure everyone was aware but next year literally marks the 20th anniversary of Super Smash Bros. as a series so of course Sakurai would want to go above and beyond

Oh God WHY?!
But how can you even go beyond what we already have? i mean, King K. Rool, Ridley, Simon, Cloud, Ryu, Snake, Sonic, Pac-Man, Megaman, BAYONETTA?!

domriver

Smash Lord
I would pay large sums of money to see Eggman in Smash with these quotes:

Star K.O.: "No WAY! I can't BELIEVE THIS!"
Taunt: "YOSH"
Final Smash: "All systems! FUUULLLL POWWWERRRR!"
Regular K.O.: "He's not going to get AWAAAAAAAY with this!"
Stage Entrance: "Let's get to WOOOORRRRRRRK"

Dr. Robotnik's scream HAS to be this. https://youtu.be/f3CphH_tIKo?t=2m13s

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Btw, no offense but I hope the people who didn't take Sakurai seriously with that sentence because of that weird pause he did before announcing Ridley aren't the same people who are tagging others as madmen for seeing clues in his tweets or his rooms.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think the final Smash Direct will be in the first week of November, just in time for the game to go gold.

Then all characters will be known and whatever happens... happens.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Hold up. Wait. Just wait. What exactly is the deal with people against the cloud? Do you just not see Rayman? Or do you see it and just deny it means anything other than the cloud is obviously Rayman.

I get that a cloud can be made to look like Rayman(during Nintendo’s biggest reveal ever, 2nd maybe), and it ends up meaning nothing, but are you guys really not seeing Rayman?

That’s all I wanna know, because it’s like people think it’s the plague and admitting it gives them speculation herpies. Trademark.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I think the final Smash Direct will be in the first week of November, just in time for the game to go gold.

Then all characters will be known and whatever happens... happens.
But I want it to be now tho. Y' know. In September. December is far away when I can pass away any day.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hold up. Wait. Just wait. What exactly is the deal with people against the cloud? Do you just not see Rayman? Or do you see it and just deny it means anything other than the cloud is obviously Rayman.

I get that a cloud can be made to look like Rayman(during Nintendo’s biggest reveal ever, 2nd maybe), and it ends up meaning nothing, but are you guys really not seeing Rayman?

That’s all I wanna know, because it’s like people think it’s the plague and admitting it gives them speculation herpies. Trademark.
I can get why people think it's Rayman, but why the **** would it be Rayman when it lasts for a split second? I don't see Rayman, and I would never think it was if someone asked me what it looked like.

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894

I have no clue how people are seeing rayman at all, is there an image where someone has outlined it or something?

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I can get why people think it's Rayman, but why the **** would it be Rayman when it lasts for a split second? I don't see Rayman, and I would never think it was if someone asked me what it looked like.
Would it help to get it outlined for you?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Rayman in the clouds? What?

Does someone have the pic? I don't know if someone posted it because I can't see pictures on Smashboards for some reason without quoting the person

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Uh...did you even read my post? I was referring to Ultimate the whole time, game was announced this year and guess what’s next year? Yeah? You do the math.
I was just asking you what could he do for the anniversary jeez

Rayman in the clouds? What?

Does someone have the pic? I don't know if someone posted it because I can't see pictures on Smashboards for some reason without quoting the person
Here

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I was just asking you what could he do for the anniversary jeez
DLC? I guess?

The way your response was worded was just a bit unclear to me

Also please don’t double post, use the edit button, just fyi

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
After a while I could glimpse Rayman in that cloud, but if anything it was a Chorus Kid with open mouth what I see there all the time. As a matter of fact I can't unsee it.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's always funny to look back at some old quotes people made and see how hilariously wrong they were. Here's some of my favorites.

"If we get anything Smash-related in this Direct (March 2018), I'll eat a shoe."
"I know we all want him, but we just need to accept the fact that he'll never get in because Sakurai thinks he's just too big for Smash."
"Sakurai won't waste time with Daisy. There's a gazillion other characters who would get in before her."
"Snake is lying dead in the bottom of a pit."
"Rex/Pyra and Decidueye are the only safe bets IMO. Anyone else would be lucky to make the cut."
"honestly, these newcomers are probably gonna suck. We'll get captain toad, elma, and maybe a new pokemon but thats it."
"But we already have Robin and Lucina. Why would Sakurai add a third Awakening character when he could add someone completely different?"

...Actually, that last one was from me. Though to be fair, a lot of people thought the same thing.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
again

I know what the shape means, I'm saying that people only think its him through a coincidence of the shape of a ****ing cloud.
You mean the coincidence of a guy who renders the clouds. Not saying I’m right, but let’s not ignore this is a render of a cloud made on a computer.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Didn't they film like a three or four minute live-action commercial in multiple exotic locations for the Pokken port?
Did they?

Well anyway, I meant to tease a port. What I meant was, why would they have left us in anticipation for so long if it was just a port? They would have said what it was right away.

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
After a while I could glimpse Rayman in that cloud, but if anything it was a Chorus Kid with open mouth what I see there all the time. As a matter of fact I can't unsee it.
That's what I see and want to believe due to my extreme bias. Can they just be announced please they're all I really want

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Seriously people? That’s DK/Karate Joe levels of desperate right there.

How can anyone legitimately see that as a hint?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It actually looks a little bit like Pac-Man to me:

I personally don't think things like the chairs and clouds are hints, but I don't think there's anything wrong about thinking they might be. It does keep interesting conversation going when we don't really have anything interesting to talk about right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You mean the coincidence of a guy who renders the clouds. Not saying I’m right, but let’s not ignore this is a render of a cloud made on a computer.
Yes.
It was made on a computer. Because that's how clouds can be shaped.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Did y’all already talk about that new Geno render from anon?

StormC

Smash Hero
"honestly, these newcomers are probably gonna suck. We'll get captain toad, elma, and maybe a new pokemon but thats it."
This point is actually what gave me hope for Ridley and K. Rool. At this point, Sakurai had few options for big hype characters. There was no way the roster was going to be Inkling, Bandana Dee, Captain Toad, a gen 7 Pokemon, etc. etc. He needed at least one or two characters that would make people lose their minds and jump out of their seats all over the world. Ridley and K. Rool were the most obvious choices; there wasn't even a third party character for everyone to rally behind like Sonic in Brawl and Mega Man in Smash 4, unless you count Banjo-Kazooie.

At this point, it almost seems like we're only getting hype characters. I'm sure we'll get something more lowkey, but damn. Like I said in another thread, I feel greedy at this point asking for any more. If you told me in January we would get a new Smash this year with all veterans, Ridley, and K. Rool, I'd ask what markers you were sniffing, and then go into full "never ask me for anything again" mode.

Now? I just want to see what's left for him to blow our minds with.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
It's always funny to look back at some old quotes people made and see how hilariously wrong they were. Here's some of my favorites.

"If we get anything Smash-related in this Direct (March 2018), I'll eat a shoe."
"I know we all want him, but we just need to accept the fact that he'll never get in because Sakurai thinks he's just too big for Smash."
"Sakurai won't waste time with Daisy. There's a gazillion other characters who would get in before her."
"Rex/Pyra and Decidueye are the only safe bets IMO. Anyone else would be lucky to make the cut."
"But we already have Robin and Lucina. Why would Sakurai add a third Awakening character when he could add someone completely different?"

...Actually, that last one was from me. Though to be fair, a lot of people thought the same thing.
Someone working at Sora watches the boards. Every time we say something can't happen they go tell Sakurai and he does it, just to surprise us.
Sakurai is a troll, but he trolls for good.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

I feel the same way about my posts regarding a no-cut scenario, since I was "somewhat" vocal stating that it is an inevitability.

"Even if he's right about Ridley, the Ice Climbers, Snake and Simon Belmont being playable in Smash Switch, he won't be right about no cuts happening."
"YES, True Blue Warrior. You've made your opinion on the matter abundantly clear. "

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Seriously people? That’s DK/Karate Joe levels of desperate right there.

How can anyone legitimately see that as a hint?
Because hints are subtle. They are made to be figured out, not blatantly given. It isn’t supposed to be easy if it’s an actual hint....

D

Deleted member

It actually looks a little bit like Pac-Man to me:

I personally don't think things like the chairs and clouds are hints, but I don't think there's anything wrong about thinking they might be. It does keep interesting conversation going when we don't really have anything interesting to talk about right now.
Oh my god.

PAC-MAN'S GOING TO BE IN ULTIMATE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom