• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Hold up. Wait. Just wait. What exactly is the deal with people against the cloud? Do you just not see Rayman? Or do you see it and just deny it means anything other than the cloud is obviously Rayman.

I get that a cloud can be made to look like Rayman(during Nintendo’s biggest reveal ever, 2nd maybe), and it ends up meaning nothing, but are you guys really not seeing Rayman?

That’s all I wanna know, because it’s like people think it’s the plague and admitting it gives them speculation herpies. Trademark.
Legitimate question, but do you have any idea how clouds and weather effects are typically done in CG?

I'm not trying to be mean here, but people always seem to think that clouds are done by hand. They're usually not. They're rendered based on algorithms because it's the only way to reliably and affordably get a convincing natural pattern. Clouds just look like things. They're vague irregular shapes and our predilection for noticing patterns in objects fools us into thinking that we're seeing something.

It means literally nothing.

StormC

Smash Hero
Oh my god.

PAC-MAN'S GOING TO BE IN ULTIMATE.
Why would they put some crappy old arcade character in? Obvious the Namco rep will be Lloyd or a Tekken/Soul Calibur character.

(anyone who ever once thought we would get any Namco character before Pac-Man, and I know there are people out there, were literally 100% delusional)

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Show me K. Rool using his recovery and I’ll believe whatever you put out.
Oh, okay.

The Earth is Flat, the moon landing really was a conspiracy, and Shulk's counter is strongest with Shield Monado.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Legitimate question, but do you have any idea how clouds and weather effects are typically done in CG?

I'm not trying to be mean here, but people always seem to think that clouds are done by hand. They're usually not. They're rendered based on algorithms because it's the only way to reliably and affordably get a convincing natural pattern. Clouds just look like things. They're vague irregular shapes and our predilection for noticing patterns in objects fools us into thinking that we're seeing something.

It means literally nothing.
It CAN and most likely does mean nothing. I was just wondering if people can see it. Once you see it, you can’t unsee it. That’s all. Random cloud or not.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
With deliberation. But as long as people actually see the thing, I couldn’t care less if it means anything.
I have no idea what the heck you're arguing anymore. A cloud randomly looks sorta like Rayman's head for a moment. And people also see Jesus in corn chips. It's a cloud.

It CAN and most likely does mean nothing. I was just wondering if people can see it. Once you see it, you can’t unsee it. That’s all. Random cloud or not.
Your point is that people can see it?

Congratulations?

StormC

Smash Hero
Here's a controversial question: does anyone here think there is a chance Dixie can still get in as a unique fighter for the base game?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Here's a controversial question: does anyone here think there is a chance Dixie can still get in as a unique fighter for the base game?
lol not even a chance anymore

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
The only reason I think the answer is no is because she surely would have been revealed alongside K.Rule if that was the case. But then again I'm probably wrong like usual so who knows?

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
I jsut hope we get one more fire emblem chracther elegard or Ephiram are my hopes
Im tired of sword chracthers

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Honestly I think Namco Bandai will be a notable part of September's Nintendo Direct. TGS is happening this month where Namco is one of the biggest attenders and Nintendo will be attending it for the first time. And there's only been a few games IIRC on the Switch from Namco(Dragon Ball, Vesperia port, and Digimon). They have some games in the dark like the Tales of Switch game, maybe even Tekken 7 on Switch. Also Tales of Vesperia is having a 10th anniversary party on September 16th.

If there are 2 newcomers in the direct, one of them or possibly both of them will be a Namco rep.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I jsut hope we get one more fire emblem chracther elegard or Ephiram are my hopes
I feel like Chrom might be it for FE. Just because of the outlash about Corrin and how even Sakurai was leery to add them.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Technically yes, though I don't expect it. There has been precedence for Smash games including multiple unique newcomers from the same franchise within the base roster. Melee had :bowsermelee::peachmelee: and:zeldamelee::sheikmelee:, Brawl had :metaknight::dedede: and :charizard::ivysaur::squirtle::lucario: and Smash 4 had :rosalina::4bowserjr:.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You just asked for a non-sword character from the king of swords series.
Hell their classic mode title is literally Journey of Swords. It'd be a miracle if we got an Axe/Lance/Ballistician user.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Our brains are extremely good at finding patterns and shapes. They're designed to, but the downside of this is that we constantly expect their to be greater meanings behind coincidences when there often is none. CG or otherwise, people will find shapes in the clouds were none were intended. That's the nature of clouds and the nature of the human mind.

And you know what? Sometimes there is an intentional hint dropped. But even then, sometimes we take a hint the wrong way. Remember how many people thought Sakurai was hinting at Ashley when he said his eyes were red? What if there really was a hint hidden in the background of the last direct but it was for someone other then Skull Kid?

It's important to never get too excited over these things because we'll always see what we want to see.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
These recent days have been a drag lately.

Yes, we have gotten alot of info 24 days ago, but a lot of stuff has been talked to death already, at this point, there isn’t anything to talk about without repeating the same things over and over with just speculation.

Last edited:

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Honest question:

Has an announcement ever actually occurred to correspond to some event? I see people all the time suggesting that a character is revealed on an anniversary or in time with a press conference. However, outside of E3, I haven't really seen that and I've been following Smash speculation since Brawl.

Am I (very possibly) forgetting something?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You just asked for a non-sword character from the king of swords series.
Hell their classic mode title is literally Journey of Swords. It'd be a miracle if we got an Axe/Lance/Ballistician user.
This is what happens when almost all main characters are sword-users.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
This point is actually what gave me hope for Ridley and K. Rool. At this point, Sakurai had few options for big hype characters. There was no way the roster was going to be Inkling, Bandana Dee, Captain Toad, a gen 7 Pokemon, etc. etc. He needed at least one or two characters that would make people lose their minds and jump out of their seats all over the world. Ridley and K. Rool were the most obvious choices; there wasn't even a third party character for everyone to rally behind like Sonic in Brawl and Mega Man in Smash 4, unless you count Banjo-Kazooie.

At this point, it almost seems like we're only getting hype characters. I'm sure we'll get something more lowkey, but damn. Like I said in another thread, I feel greedy at this point asking for any more. If you told me in January we would get a new Smash this year with all veterans, Ridley, and K. Rool, I'd ask what markers you were sniffing, and then go into full "never ask me for anything again" mode.

Now? I just want to see what's left for him to blow our minds with.
This is gonna sound really weird, but I think BWD and Paper Mario are the only "hype" characters left who I really want to see get in Smash. Other than them, I'd honestly be okay if Skull Kid, Isacc, Geno, Elma, Banjo, Rayman, and the rest of the popular characters got left out of Ultimate.

Now that I have Inkling, Ridley, and K. Rool, I'm kinda hoping that some of my less popular favorites get in, like Lycanroc or Mipha. That's not say I don't think the other characters would be cool additions, but it would be so surreal to get a character who didn't have massive support backing them up. Makes it feel like more of a personal victory.

Untouch

Smash Master
I'm starting to wish that sakurai didn't reveal everything right away so we could panic about what characters were getting cut even if none were.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
So has anyone debunked the Geno image from a couple of hours ago? I've been outside and had no way of cheking :-(

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I have no idea what the heck you're arguing anymore. A cloud randomly looks sorta like Rayman's head for a moment. And people also see Jesus in corn chips. It's a cloud.

Your point is that people can see it?

Congratulations?
No one was talking about it. I was wondering why and if that it was because people just aren’t seeing it. No need to be shrewd about musings. This is what speculation is about, right? Speculating on things. Can I do that without a snarky remark? It’s a game, man. Presented in a controlled environment. It’s way more than possible, regardless of if it was deliberate this time.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
This is gonna sound really weird, but I think BWD and Paper Mario are the only "hype" characters left who I really want to see get in Smash. Other than them, I'd honestly be okay if Skull Kid, Isacc, Geno, Elma, Banjo, Rayman, and the rest of the popular characters got left out of Ultimate.

Now that I have Inkling, Ridley, and K. Rool, I'm kinda hoping that some of my less popular favorites get in, like Lycanroc or Mipha. That's not say I don't think the other characters would be cool additions, but it would be so surreal to get a character who didn't have massive support backing them up. Makes it feel like more of a personal victory.
I'm still kind of surprised that Sakurai straight up stated that he's going to refer to the ballot when making the newcomer roster for Ultimate as a part of me only expected it to matter for a handful of new characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom