• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Is she? Is it one of those super slow walking hallway segments wherein that game's sad excuse for a story was playing out or something? I remembered she appears in some cutscenes but didn't remember actually playing as her. Then again, Other M didn't have real gameplay at any point so it's hard to figure out what to count form that trainwreck.
This isn't just directed at you, but can we please for the sake of everyone and the baby Metroid stop perpetuating the idea that Other M is literally the worst game in the universe. Yes it characterised Samus badly and the control scheme was an awful idea, but it was a visually impressive game for the Wii and the actual gameplay was solid and reaonsably well fleshed out. Exploring the human side of Samus was something we hadn't seen before and the idea of her having PTSD isn't unique to the game, it was brought up in the manga too.

I've played Other M multiple times and I acknowledge it isn't a perfect game or in the same league as the Prime Trilogy, but it sure as heck does not deserve the constant negativity and hate that it gets.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I would play Metal Gear Solid but I don't think they have any Switch games yet :U

And that's the only console I have...

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
This isn't just directed at you, but can we please for the sake of everyone and the baby Metroid stop perpetuating the idea that Other M is literally the worst game in the universe. Yes it characterised Samus badly and the control scheme was an awful idea, but it was a visually impressive game for the Wii and the actual gameplay was solid and reaonsably well fleshed out. Exploring the human side of Samus was something we hadn't seen before and the idea of her having PTSD isn't unique to the game, it was brought up in the manga too.

I've played Other M multiple times and I acknowledge it isn't a perfect game or in the same league as the Prime Trilogy, but it sure as heck does not deserve the constant negativity and hate that it gets.
This. It suffers from being a mediocre title in comparison to many of the other entries in its series but it is hardly a bad game.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

I've played Other M multiple times and I acknowledge it isn't a perfect game or in the same league as the Prim Trilogy, but it sure as heck does not deserve the constant negativity and hate that it gets.
It's a decent game on it's own but a terrible metroid game. If it was a completely separate franchise it would be fine but it's really not. The game was super linear and lacked any sort of complexity in it's environments (it felt like I was walking through the same few hallways the entire game), as far as action games go the combat was pretty shallow and the controls didn't help at all, and then there's the story...the best things it has going for it is visuals, music and some pretty neat and flashy set pieces but it pretty much lacks everything that makes metroid good.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I never actually played Super Metroid before owning the SNES classic. The 2D Metroid games I grew up playing were Zero Mission and Fusion, both of which I love.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Downloadable Gamecube games when, Nintendo?

That's what I want to see above all else.
That's a good question. Some of those games are getting pretty rare, it'd be nice for more people get access to them. I think I got most of the "essential" games on the Gamecube, since I had one since I was a kid.

But stuff like FE: PoR is super costly, and Melee and Metroid Prime aren't super cheap either. Not to mention, it'd give people another chance at trying games like Wario World.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Oh, you have the SNES Classic? Then either Final Fantasy VI or Super Mario RPG depending on how experienced you are at RPGs
Nah I don't have it yet. But i'm about to get one.
I like to research what I get and unfortunately the snes classic doesn't have Chrono Trigger.
Is Mario rpg easier than Final Fantasy VI? The only rpg i'm good at is Pokemon so i'm not trying to jump into anything too hard too fast.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Nah I don't have it yet. But i'm about to get one.
I like to research what I get and unfortunately the snes classic doesn't have Chrono Trigger.
Is Mario rpg easier than Final Fantasy VI? The only rpg i'm good at is Pokemon so i'm not trying to jump into anything too hard too fast.
Mario RPG is MUCH easier than Final Fantasy VI and it's more for beginners.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Have played:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultyoshi::ultrosalina::ultwario::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsheik::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultpit::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit::ultsamus::ultridley::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultmarth::ultike::ultchrom::ultrobin:ultlucina::ultcorrin::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultpichu::ultgreninja::ultfox::ultfalcon::ultvillager::ultshulk::ultinkling::ultmiifighters::ultsonic::ultpacman::ultryu:

Acquainted through spinoffs but not a mainline appearance:
:ultdaisy:

Never played their debut gen but played in later games:
:ultlucario:

Only played future incarnations of the character:
:ultmegaman:

Never touched:
:ultdoc::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultsnake::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultcloud::ulticeclimbers::ultduckhunt::ultgnw::ultrob::ultolimar::ultness::ultlucas::ultlittlemac::ultwiifittrainer::ultroy:

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Excluding Smash Bros

Have Played and Completed: :ultbayonetta::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultcorrin::ultinkling::ultkingdedede::ultkirby::ultlink::ultluigi::ultmario::ultlucina::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultrobin:ultrosalina::ultchrom::ultsonic::ultyoshi:
Played and Never Finished: :ultfalcon::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ultfox::ulticeclimbers::ultike::ultlittlemac::ultlucas::ultmarth::ultmegaman::ultmewtwo::ultness::ultpacman::ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer:(:4charizard:):ultroy::ultryu::ultsamus::ultsnake::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultwario::ultwiifittrainer::ultwolf::ultyounglink::ultzss:
Never fought/teamed with/played as specific boss/character: :ultganondorf:(varies):ultjigglypuff::ultkrool::ultmetaknight::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultsheik::ultzelda:(varies)
Never played game: :ultgreninja::ultlucario::ultolimar::ultpichu::ultrob::ultsimon::ultrichter:
No to everything in life: :ultcloud:

how would a Pit understand what he’s looking at/reading when he’s illiterate? How would he learn how to even get into memes

Killager into screams...not surprised

And dammit Yoshi

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
This is something that sounds great on paper, but just doesn't really work all that well in practice in a dynamic game; sure switching to Zard allows you to live a bit longer, but then you're much easier to hit, possibly open yourself up to kill confirms you weren't susceptible before, have a much harder time actually getting in and hitting your opponent, possibly playing a worse matchup, etc. There's a lot of factors involved beyond just "I can live longer", "I can kill easier", etc.
You're right about that, there is a lot of things to consider. Characters with powerful kill confirms are going to be scary to play against with Zard. They already are in Smash 4 - I hate fighting DK and that gosh danged Ding Dong of his, so that's a match I'll probably be using Squirt and Ivy in. On the flip side, I've survived a lot of Zero Suit ladder combos with Zard that would have killed almost any other fighter. Each character is going to have their uses, but I'm willing to learn all three characters and all the complexities of when to use on and when to use another.

And as Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos pointed out, simply keeping your opponents on your toes is already a huge advantage. In fact, I feel like a lot of characters who are high tier already in Smash 4 (Diddy, Mewtwo, Sheik) are so good because they have the flexibility to play either aggressively or defensively depending on the situation and constantly force their opponents to adapt.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Other M did incredible damage to the Metroid franchise. It's fine to like it but it can't be denied it put the Metroid series into hibernation.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Honestly, I think "beat" versus "never beat" would be a more interesting game than "played" versus "never played".

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Other M did incredible damage to the Metroid franchise. It's fine to like it but it can't be denied it put the Metroid series into hibernation.
Says DarkFalcon as Federation Force and Samus Returns suddenly stop existing and there's a new Mandela effect worldwide
wait then that means AM2R would still be up wouldnt it?

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Honestly, I think "beat" versus "never beat" would be a more interesting game than "played" versus "never played".
Same, because "played" could mean anything. Could just mean that you picked up the game this character comes from, ****** around for an hour or two, and then never touched it again.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Now, I think the Joycons can act pretty similar to the Wii-mote(it has motion controls so it should work), but I wonder how they'll put any DS games on the Switch.

Either way, I hope Punch-Out!! Wii is downloadable on the Switch as well eventually.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
That's a good question. Some of those games are getting pretty rare, it'd be nice for more people get access to them. I think I got most of the "essential" games on the Gamecube, since I had one since I was a kid.

But stuff like FE: PoR is super costly, and Melee and Metroid Prime aren't super cheap either. Not to mention, it'd give people another chance at trying games like Wario World.
This is exactly what I'm getting at. Plenty of NES, SNES, N64, heck even GBA and DS games are still available for download on previous Nintendo consoles. The Gamecube and in turn it's titles ceased production long ago and have yet to get the same treatment on one of the later consoles. The games are naturally getting rarer and more expensive, so it's much harder to find and play them nowadays.

People that missed out on certain titles or never got a Gamecube to begin with could really be missing out. The GC had plenty of great games and all of them are very hard to come by now. At least Wind Waker got a remake for the Wii U, pretty much every other single GC-exclusive title hasn't had such fortune. I myself missed out on some games like Metroid Prime and Kirby's Air Ride, and I'm lucky that I got Super Mario Sunshine and Wario World when I did; the Gamecube era was over by that point in time, but it's been many years since then, they're surely way harder to get now than they would've when my mother and I went looking for them way back then.

The Gamecube era needs more love. Most consoles before it kept getting ported to newer consoles and for good reason, but the GC is now one of the oldest ones that hasn't gotten any downloadable ports yet. It's at least a bit overdue.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Characters from games I've played: :ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ultfox::ultganondorf::ultgreninja::ultjigglypuff::ultkrool::ultlink::ultlucario::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmewtwo::ultmiifighters::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultpit::ultpokemontrainer::ultridley::ultrosalina::ultsamus::ultsheik::ultsonic::ulttoonlink::ultwario::ultwolf::ultyoshi::ultyounglink::ultzelda:

Characters from games I have not played: :ultbayonetta::ultcorrin::ultdoc::ulticeclimbers::ultike::ultinkling::ultkingdedede::ultkirby::ultlittlemac::ultlucas::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultgnw::ultness::ultdarkpit::ultrob::ultrobin:ultroy::ultchrom::ultryu::ultdarksamus::ultshulk::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultzss:

I've played the original Kid Icarus, but not uprising so no Dark Pit.

I've played Metroid Prime, but I'm not really a Metroid fan so just Samus and Ridley there.

Surprisingly I don't believe I've ever played a Kirby game. Something I plan to rectify at some point soon.

Same with Fire Emblem for that matter.

And Mother. I actually really want to play through the Mother series, so I hope they become available on Switch at some point.

Would like to play through the Xenoblade series as well, but again haven't picked it up yet. Will get around to it eventually.

I've no interest in Splatoon (or any shooter regardless of how creative it may be).

No interest in MGS either (don't kill me).

I want to play Animal Crossing but simply havent gotten around to it.

Never played Ice Climbers and tbh I've heard it's not that great. Haven't played a ton of retros really so no G&W either. I've only played Duck Hunt like a couple times at a friend's place in grade school. And didn't really like it if I'm honest.

Never played any Street Fighter games, though I wouldn't be opposed to trying. Just never got super into traditional fights. Mostly my experience in that arena is with Soul Caliber.

Castlevania I've been wanting to try, just haven't really had the chance yet.

Wii Fit is hardly even a game, so meh.

Megaman I didn't play during his heyday. Will probbaly give his games a try at some point. Not a huge priority though.

Will give Bayonetta a try, but I'm a bit dubious tbh.

Don't really have any interest in Dr. Mario.

And again R.O.B isn't really a game and neither robots nor action figure esque peripherals are really all that interesting to me.

Finally I never played Punch Out on the wii and likely never will tbh. Doesn't look all that interesting.

So basically I would like to play Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Kirby, Castlevania, Animal Crossing, and Mother. Will likely get around to trying out Megaman and Bayonetta at some point as well. The rest don't really interest me.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Now, I think the Joycons can act pretty similar to the Wii-mote(it has motion controls so it should work), but I wonder how they'll put any DS games on the Switch.

Either way, I hope Punch-Out!! Wii is downloadable on the Switch as well eventually.
Maybe they'll just make a sequel to punch out? next level games haven't done anything since federation force anyway

Either that or luigi's mansion 3 I guess, or both

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Same, because "played" could mean anything. Could just mean that you picked up the game this character comes from, ****** around for an hour or two, and then never touched it again.
If that's the case, then I'd have to cut Snake and Simon.

A played Punch-Out!! a fair bit but it's not like I beat Tyson yet. I think at best I got to the 5th fight or so. But I want to get back to it someday.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Speaking of the NES Classic and SNES Classic... I wonder what the N64 Classic and GCN Classic are going to have on them (assuming they even get made).

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
It actually doesn't have Chrono Trigger which sucks, but Super Metroid is high on my list.
You can snag the 3DS version for around 25-30 bucks on Amazon, even added another alternate ending too.

Some older fans dislike the change tro Frogs language but if you can get past that it's your best option.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Instead of Pokemon Let's Go, when are they gonna make Fire Emblem Let's Go where the gameplay is watered down but the graphics look amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom