• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
To add to my last question, you now have music control, knock youselfs out
Soundtrack has never been something that calls to me in video games, so just add every solo Marshmello song because it's nice background music and I'm mainstream trash
I'd go full Marvel 2 and add plenty of jazz tracks.

Otherwise, More Metroid music, Mega Man track, a ton of Street Fighter 3 Third Strike and Street Fighter EX music, that Peach game I mentioned before.

Throw in some Tekken for good measure.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
After a first day back in school I come back to what seems to be a wholesome discussion thread...
B9E2AF6B-589E-4C7D-B062-8D9F27259CC3.jpeg
1EBFA3B0-2A84-4977-AB4F-A3B58F9934E7.jpeg

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Okay, let's play a game.

I was thinking "What would happen if Nintendo asked ArcSys to make a fighting game, but told them 'As long as it has [these characters], we don't care who else is in it.'"

So...

You're making a new Nintendo fighting game with 22 characters in it, Nintendo has told you that you must include:
  • Mario
  • Luigi
  • Bowser
  • Link
  • Pikachu
  • Marth
Other than that, you can choose anyone as a fighter so long as they are Nintendo characters. In short, pick 16 characters for your hypothetical Nintendo fighting game.
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultmarth:
Now right off the bat I'd say "Are you sure? Pikachu is kinda small for this." and then Nintendo would fire me for not putting in the mascot.
But onto the characters.

:ultsamus::ultshulk::ultfox::ultlittlemac:
:ultolimar::ultdk::ultness::ultvillager:
:ultpit::ultmewtwo::ultzelda::ultganondorf:
:ultfalcon::ultinkling::ultkirby::ultkingdedede:

I believe this represents the body-types typical in a fighting game whilst also representing the different genres present within Smash while ALSO including popular "iconic" picks along with popular antagonists for espeically large franchises. Hopefully this'll please most people.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Okay, let's play a game.

I was thinking "What would happen if Nintendo asked ArcSys to make a fighting game, but told them 'As long as it has [these characters], we don't care who else is in it.'"

So...

You're making a new Nintendo fighting game with 22 characters in it, Nintendo has told you that you must include:
  • Mario
  • Luigi
  • Bowser
  • Link
  • Pikachu
  • Marth
Other than that, you can choose anyone as a fighter so long as they are Nintendo characters. In short, pick 16 characters for your hypothetical Nintendo fighting game.
Okay, let's go.

Mandatory:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultmarth: (honestly I would've included all six anyway, haha)

Additional sixteen:
:ultpeach::ultyoshi::ultdk::ultkrool:
:ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultinkling:
:ultlittlemac::ultpit::ultolimar::ultfox:
:ultchrom::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultlucario:

Honorable mentions go out to R.O.B. and Isabelle.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Alright, after I had just come to terms with the fact K. Rool is finally in Smash, I just realized that every veteran is also coming back, so I'm back to being hyped again.

"Ultimate" could not be a more fitting name. December can't come soon enough.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I want everyone to play a game.
Name your five favorite series in Smash and name a boss for them.

:ultmario:: Shadow Queen or Petey Piranha
:ultlink:: Bongo Bongo
:ultkirby:: Zero 2
:ultmarth:: Grima
:ultpikachu:: Mega Rayquaza
Alright.

Zelda Series: Vaati (I’d take him as a boss character at this point)... Oh fine, Giant Chu Chu

Mario Series: Tatanga ... oh fine, Dry Giga Bowser

Pokémon series: Giratina. ... Oh fine, Arceus

Kirby Series: Dark Matter... Oh Fine, Shadow Queen Sectonia

Star Fox Series: Pigma Dengar Final Boss version from some paths in Stat Fox Command...

Oh fine, just make a boss fight where Slippy “helps” you until you realize you have to take him down.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Alright, after I had just come to terms with the fact K. Rool is finally in Smash, I just realized that every veteran is also coming back, so I'm back to being hyped again.

I'm so glad it releases on a Friday, which gives me more time to actually go out and find a store! I need that limited edition, so I better plan before.

Okay, let's play a game.

So...

• Mario
  • Luigi
  • Bowser
  • Link
  • Pikachu
  • Marth
So . . .
:ultlink::ultmarth::ultpikachu::ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser: + :ultfox::ultroy::ultshulk::ultpit::ultgreninja::ultlucario::ultmewtwo::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultdk::ultkingdedede::ultyoshi::ultkrool::ultfalco::ultwolf:

That was a bit hard, to be honest.

Edit: Accidental double post. Can a mod here fix this?

StormC

Smash Hero

I can play as my favorite video game character of all time :ultsnake: along with the character I've requested the most to be in Smash :ultkrool:.

And we still have more character announcements left! I feel spoiled.

KMDP

Smash Legend
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultmarth:
Now right off the bat I'd say "Are you sure? Pikachu is kinda small for this." and then Nintendo would fire me for not putting in the mascot.
But onto the characters.

:ultsamus::ultridley:
:ultfox::ultwolf:
:ultolimar:
:ultdk:
:ultness:
:ultvillager:
:ultpokemontrainer::ultmewtwo:
:ultzelda::ultganondorf:
:ultfalcon:
:ultinkling:
:ultkirby::ultkingdedede:

I believe this represents the body-types typical in a fighting game whilst also representing the different genres present within Smash while ALSO including popular "iconic" picks along with popular antagonists for espeically large franchises.
If Naruto: Clash of Ninja can have the utter horror that is Akamaru. Pikachu is fiiiiiiiine. :laugh:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Sakurai really is going out with the fan requests, i'm happy for everyone!
it must be nice to finally get a character you want in the game...

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars

Untitled.png

King Garon from Fire Emblem Fates, Giovanni from Pokemon, Man-at-Legs from Pikmin 2, Metal Face from Xenoblade Chronicles, and Wart from Super Mario Bros. 2

StormC

Smash Hero
Sakurai really is going out with the fan requests, i'm happy for everyone!
it must be nice to finally get a character you want in the game...
I waited ten years for K. Rool and Ridley. It is.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
All of these "This is who I would add" and "Ugh, other people would make a terrible director" posts do make me think a lot about how we all have our own ideas and biases on what should or should not get into Smash. It does all lead back to which characters we think would fit in Smash and which wouldn't. I think this does lead to an interesting discussion about what each of us thinks Smash represents to us. I'll keep everything relatively contained in one simple question:

What criteria make a character 'deserve' to be in Smash to you?

Is it if they have a fanbase? Relevance? History with Nintendo? Impact? Any combination of the above?

Let's assume that the roster is as it currently is and all characters who were previously assists are reconfirmed as assists (unless they are already playable). You have the ability to add one more playable character. Doesn't matter if it's unique, or an echo, or promoting someone from an assist/background - you can add the one character you think is most deserving of a slot.

Who do you think is the single most deserving character to be in Smash, and why?

---

When I consider if someone 'deserves' to be in Smash, I'd want someone who's definitely iconic. They should be someone that 90% of gamers (and half of their mothers) would recognize. They should have a fanbase - it doesn't need to be the biggest bandwagony fanbase, but there should still be a large section of fans that would be happy to see that character in. Also, Smash is still at heart a Nintendo game, so a deserving character should either be a prominent first- or second-party character, or a third-party who is incredibly ingrained with Nintendo, either by having major Nintendo games or by being extremely closely associated with Nintendo properties. If they were the first representative of a series, the series should be a major series that is also iconic itself, possibly to the point of being memetic in places, and should have had most of its games highly loved by large portions of the fanbase. A second (or third, or fourth) representative of an existing series should also hold that the series itself is iconic and popular, but should complement the existing member(s) of the series without making the game seem unbalanced in its favor.

With that in mind, The most deserving character for Smash in my mind is Tails.

While Tails is not the most popular member of Sonic's team, he was the first around having joined in Sonic 2, and is incredibly recognizable as Sonic's best friend to the point that he has been called the Luigi to Sonic's Mario. He is instantly recognizable to anyone with even a passing knowledge of the Sonic franchise.

Now the Sonic franchise is third-party, but nobody can think of Sonic without also thinking of Nintendo. Many other companies tried to make their cute mascots, but none were as recognizable as Sonic and Mario, and their rivalry shaped much of the landscape of gaming in the 90s. As someone who grew up with that rivalry, it was phenomenal to see Sonic appear in Brawl, and also the entire franchise that spun out with Mario and Sonic at the Olympics. We had finally gotten to a point where these two bitter rivals were together in a game.

And this brings me to Tails. As Sonic's most well-known companion, there are plenty of parallels drawn between him and Luigi. Both started out with the same abilities as their partner, but started to diverge their own abilities and personalities as time went along. The potential of Mario's and Sonic's closest companions also being able to challenge one another (or even team up) in Smash would bring the intercompany representation to its best extent. Many of my friends from work or former schoolmates, all in their 30s now, all don't react much to most character names that are thrown around, but all of them recognize Tails. They all think that a series as important to the gaming industry and representative of the 90s Sega/Nintendo rivalry era as Sonic should absolutely get another character in Smash, and as Sonic's first and best friend, Tails is their top choice.

It certainly says something when a magazine known for their April Fool's hoaxes managed to trick a lot of people back in 2002 with Sonic and Tails in Melee. It would mean a lot to a lot of people if this really did finally come to pass.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Okay, let's play a game.

So...

• Mario
  • Luigi
  • Bowser
  • Link
  • Pikachu
  • Marth
Olimar,
OG Pig Ganon,
Zelda,
Ken,
Robin,
K. Rool,
Geno,
Roy,
Spinal,
Ivysaur,
Donkey Kong,
Cloud,
Skull Kid,
Ridley,
Samus,
Sly Cooper

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Olimar,
OG Pig Ganon,
Zelda,
Ken,
Robin,
K. Rool,
Geno,
Roy,
Spinal,
Ivysaur,
Donkey Kong,
Cloud,
Skull Kid,
Ridley,
Samus,
Sly Cooper
Geno, Spinal and Sly Cooper are not Nintendo characters.

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice
Other than the fact that everyone is trying to convince everyone else that their opinion is better when as far as I can tell everyone agrees, none of the current discussions have anything for me, So I wanted to ask, If you had 100% control over Smash ultimate charecters what would you do? Most notably, I would add Octoling skins for Inkling, while un-standardizing the amount of charecter skins, (some need more than 8 some don't), and addin Tails, Eggman, Shadow, Monika, and Cuphead as full charecters. Because I am a madman. I would also buff Wii Fit trainer to be the best charecter in the game, see previous statement.
Okay, first of all, I would make Zelda Sheik a thing again (Not ZSS since Final Smash), but instead of Down B, they keep the new Down B and instead press Shield and B. This is now how Pokemon Trainer transforms, Charizard gets Rock Smash back, Ivysaur gets Leech Seed, jumps a bit and throws some Seeds down, only in a small area but if it hits it makes the target unable to move for 2 seconds and has HP drained gradually, at about 3 times per second, for a total of 9% drained (each drain takes 1 on the first second, 2 on the second), Squirtle's water based attacks now do a bit of damage (same with Mario's F.L.U.D.D), and he gets a Down B, Aqua Tail, which does about the range of Mii Brawler's Down Smash, but in a more circular motion, and splashes water. Every character now has 16 alts, 8 default, 8 that are unlocked. Dr.Mario, Pichu, Falco, Young Link, Roy, Lucas, Toon Link, and Wolf are now classified as Half Echos, but still use a number and take a "slot". Chrom is now a half echo, and Alph is promoted from Alt to Echo. Luigi gets some upgrades to be much less clone like, I honestly think even the way he is now would not constitue as a half echo, but this takes it further. He always has a poltergust, and even shoots out a bit of air for his fair, hits upward with the vacuum with his uair, and ends his jab combo with a blow of air. His Up B becomes Riding on the Poltergust like E.Gadd does in Superstar Saga, he rides forward on it, and pressing up or down makes it rotate in either direction. It goes forward in whatever direction it's facing. His Neutral B becomes a Poltergust shot, he shoots out an icy shot of well, ice, that goes down in a 45 degree angle. His Grab now has has him suck the target in. Ganondorf is made completely unique with his Neutral B becoming a magic shot, Down B a spinning sword slice, etc. I would add lots of new features and modes, such as Assist Meters, pick 2 assists, once the meter fills you can use either. Custom Moves are back, and this time even more indepth. Each fighter has 5 choices for each special, and 3 choices for Final Smash. New modes include King Of The Hill, self explanatory, warping arena(the screen wraps, impossible to be KO'd, not allowed on time or stock), and a Break The Targets type side mode, Gliding Waltz, you jump from one area to another that is a large distance and have to use lots of character's techniques (yes one stage for every char). Break The Targets is back, char centric, Board The Platforms and Race To The Finish are back. Now, characters.

Echos:Black Shadow, Isabelle, Ken, Ms.Pac-Man.

Half Echos:Ninten (Ness Specials and Tilts but PK Flash is reskined to be much blacker and now called PSI Darkness, Lucas Smash Attacks and Aerials. Up Smash throws a boomerang instead of Yo-Yo, Forward Air is Sling-Shot), Shadow (Sonic except Up Special is Mewtwo's, a teleport, Fair is Lucas Side Special but is a green arrow thing (Chaos Spear) and just does damage on contact, no fiery result, Dair is Dr.Mario's, Up Smash is Mii Brawler's Piston Punch but a bit shorter and stays on the ground), Dixie Kong (Diddy but Donkey Kong Up B reskinned to be hair based, any tail attacks are replaced with hair, Neutral B goes further but does less damage, reskined to Bubble Gum Gun, Down B Banana goes Straight Up instead of throwing behind) Galacta Knight (Meta Knight but Side B goes faster but always goes straight, Down B is a counter where Galacta Knight vanishes and either appears again confused for a sec, or if hit, teleports behind the attacker and strikes back, Neutral B charges up energy and unleashes a straight blast that can be carried (like Samus Lucario Mewtwo Neutral but instead of a ball it's a straight beam).

Newcomers: Karate Joe, Bandana Dee, Geno, Banjo and Kazooie, Phoenix Wright, Incineroar, Elma, Impa.

DLC: Rex & Pyra, Heihachi, Spring Man, Rayman, Bomberman, Snip & Clip, Crash Bandicoot, Waluigi, Isaac, Quote.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Okay, let's play a game.

So...

• Mario
  • Luigi
  • Bowser
  • Link
  • Pikachu
  • Marth
Mandatory: :ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultmarth:

Everyone else:
:ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultdk::ultkrool:
:ultlucario::ultmewtwo::ultsamus::ultridley:
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultpeach::ultyoshi:
:ultlucina::ultfox::ultshulk::ultinkling:

That was tough...

:ultzelda:: Stallord
:ultsamus:: Omega/Queen Metroid
:ultpokemontrainer:: Ultra Necrozma
:ultmarth:: Medeus
:ultshulk:: Vasara

Last edited:

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Okay, let's play a game.

So...

• Mario
  • Luigi
  • Bowser
  • Link
  • Pikachu
  • Marth
Wanted to keep a semi-theme of heroes vs villains/rivals with some fresh faces mixed in.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Okay, let's go.

Mandatory:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultmarth: (honestly I would've included all six anyway, haha)

Additional sixteen:
:ultpeach::ultyoshi::ultdk::ultkrool:
:ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultinkling:
:ultlittlemac::ultpit::ultolimar::ultfox:
:ultchrom::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultlucario:

Honorable mentions go out to R.O.B. and Isabelle.
I'm gonna have to keep it real with you chief: you chose Chrom over diversity magic user Robin for what reason? :p

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Geno, Spinal and Sly Cooper are not Nintendo characters.
Missed that part. But that means I can’t have Cloud or Ken, either. Sooooo.....5 more pokemon?! Alright! Breloom, Sableye, Golisopod, Mewtwo, Salazzle.

I dunno. The choices are so hard. Can’t imagine how Sakurai decides on anything having to sell this globally.

Nice one. At least i'm not the only one cheating :reverse:
Legit one of my favorite characters ever.

blackghost

Smash Champion
As long as they are fun to play as, I don't care. I'd rather have a fun clone then an unfun original.
"Fun" as a measurement is objectively subjective. Smash thrives on unique inclusions of new characters. While every character is someone's faovrite character, more often than not these characters are better when they have unique traits. ask a ganon player, a link who has played ultimate, Luigi back when he was decloned, or in the future when dark samus and daisy are decloned people wont react negatively i'd bet money on that.

Is marth made lesser because his moveset is in the game 4 times? i'd argue yes. chrome was an interesting attempt at making an intriguing clone but i think they didnt do it well. ike's moveset with marth mechanics would have been better. because right now all we have is a new character that dies offstage for free. even in casual play that wont be well received for many in the fanbase.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
All of these "This is who I would add" and "Ugh, other people would make a terrible director" posts do make me think a lot about how we all have our own ideas and biases on what should or should not get into Smash. It does all lead back to which characters we think would fit in Smash and which wouldn't. I think this does lead to an interesting discussion about what each of us thinks Smash represents to us. I'll keep everything relatively contained in one simple question:

What criteria make a character 'deserve' to be in Smash to you?

Is it if they have a fanbase? Relevance? History with Nintendo? Impact? Any combination of the above?

Let's assume that the roster is as it currently is and all characters who were previously assists are reconfirmed as assists (unless they are already playable). You have the ability to add one more playable character. Doesn't matter if it's unique, or an echo, or promoting someone from an assist/background - you can add the one character you think is most deserving of a slot.

Who do you think is the single most deserving character to be in Smash, and why?

---

When I consider if someone 'deserves' to be in Smash, I'd want someone who's definitely iconic. They should be someone that 90% of gamers (and half of their mothers) would recognize. They should have a fanbase - it doesn't need to be the biggest bandwagony fanbase, but there should still be a large section of fans that would be happy to see that character in. Also, Smash is still at heart a Nintendo game, so a deserving character should either be a prominent first- or second-party character, or a third-party who is incredibly ingrained with Nintendo, either by having major Nintendo games or by being extremely closely associated with Nintendo properties. If they were the first representative of a series, the series should be a major series that is also iconic itself, possibly to the point of being memetic in places, and should have had most of its games highly loved by large portions of the fanbase. A second (or third, or fourth) representative of an existing series should also hold that the series itself is iconic and popular, but should complement the existing member(s) of the series without making the game seem unbalanced in its favor.

With that in mind, The most deserving character for Smash in my mind is Tails.

While Tails is not the most popular member of Sonic's team, he was the first around having joined in Sonic 2, and is incredibly recognizable as Sonic's best friend to the point that he has been called the Luigi to Sonic's Mario. He is instantly recognizable to anyone with even a passing knowledge of the Sonic franchise.

Now the Sonic franchise is third-party, but nobody can think of Sonic without also thinking of Nintendo. Many other companies tried to make their cute mascots, but none were as recognizable as Sonic and Mario, and their rivalry shaped much of the landscape of gaming in the 90s. As someone who grew up with that rivalry, it was phenomenal to see Sonic appear in Brawl, and also the entire franchise that spun out with Mario and Sonic at the Olympics. We had finally gotten to a point where these two bitter rivals were together in a game.

And this brings me to Tails. As Sonic's most well-known companion, there are plenty of parallels drawn between him and Luigi. Both started out with the same abilities as their partner, but started to diverge their own abilities and personalities as time went along. The potential of Mario's and Sonic's closest companions also being able to challenge one another (or even team up) in Smash would bring the intercompany representation to its best extent. Many of my friends from work or former schoolmates, all in their 30s now, all don't react much to most character names that are thrown around, but all of them recognize Tails. They all think that a series as important to the gaming industry and representative of the 90s Sega/Nintendo rivalry era as Sonic should absolutely get another character in Smash, and as Sonic's first and best friend, Tails is their top choice.

It certainly says something when a magazine known for their April Fool's hoaxes managed to trick a lot of people back in 2002 with Sonic and Tails in Melee. It would mean a lot to a lot of people if this really did finally come to pass.
From what you said my prime candidate for smash is... Sora from Kingdom Hearts.

while his main games havent appeared on nintendo side games (chain of memories, coded and dream drop distance) that are relevant to the plot did. Clouds big Nintendo appearance was in Kingdom Hearts as well.

majority of gamers would recognise Sora as a character (or at least his key or franchise). considering Sora's big game is coming out a month after smash I think smash is great marketing for them. With Square and Nintendo being all buddy-buddy now I can see this happening.

On a side note Dragon Quest is a popular Square game as well and has had a dominating appearance on Nintendo so I could see the Hero appearing in smash although I'd prefer Sora.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
even in casual play that wont be well received for many in the fanbase.
Dude, the casual fanbase plays who they like.

If they like Chrom, and there's a lot of people who do, they'll enjoy him.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
"Fun" as a measurement is objectively subjective. Smash thrives on unique inclusions of new characters. While every character is someone's faovrite character, more often than not these characters are better when they have unique traits. ask a ganon player, a link who has played ultimate, Luigi back when he was decloned, or in the future when dark samus and daisy are decloned people wont react negatively i'd bet money on that.

Is marth made lesser because his moveset is in the game 4 times? i'd argue yes. chrome was an interesting attempt at making an intriguing clone but i think they didnt do it well. ike's moveset with marth mechanics would have been better. because right now all we have is a new character that dies offstage for free. even in casual play that wont be well received for many in the fanbase.
Never said they weren't.

Also, that is also all objectively subjective, just saying.

StormC

Smash Hero
I just want Nintendo Vs. Capcom so Ridley can fight at his canon size a la Sentinel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom