• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Still no update tonight huh?
Man, I miss Brawl days when waiting for updates was always exciting. Now I pretty much only get excited for music nights.

D

Deleted member

Alright, so here's the REAL question of the century when it comes to Smash.

If Incineroar is confirmed, and he had to have voice lines that sounded like a professional wrestler... would you rather it be Hulk Hogan, Macho Man Randy Savage, Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, or Rowdy Roddy Piper?

Personally, I think any of them would be hilarious. However, I think the best one would be Macho Man, and just leaping off the ropes for the Flying Elbow with a, "OOOOH YEAAAAHH!" making it extra satsifying.

That, or chugging two beers before giving a stunner would be amazing. :troll:
Why not have aspects of multiple ones? :V

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Okay, let's play a game.

I was thinking "What would happen if Nintendo asked ArcSys to make a fighting game, but told them 'As long as it has [these characters], we don't care who else is in it.'"

So...

You're making a new Nintendo fighting game with 22 characters in it, Nintendo has told you that you must include:
  • Mario
  • Luigi
  • Bowser
  • Link
  • Pikachu
  • Marth
Other than that, you can choose anyone as a fighter so long as they are Nintendo characters. In short, pick 16 characters for your hypothetical Nintendo fighting game.
Samus: Why Marth has importance over her I don't get.
Ridley: You know Sentinel in Marvel? Yeah do that, but with Ridley.
Zelda: Obvious choice but whatever.
Little Mac: You know I gotta throw the hands.
Ganon: Again, obvious
DK: Obvious choice
Diddy + Dixie: Think Android 18 in Dragon Ball FighterZ.
Peach: Obvious
Yoshi: Obvious
Fox: Obvious...again.
Ike: He's pretty ****ing cool.
Roy 01: Need a robot to replace Mega Man.
R.O.B: Gotta have a retro guy.
Kirby: Obvious choice.
Falcon: Of course he's in.
Charizard: I guess 1 more Pokemon should be in.

DLC would be Shulk, Elma, Charizard, Greninja, Lucario, Rosalina, Inkling and K.Rool. 8 characters just like DBFZ's DLC.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just want Nintendo Vs. Capcom so Ridley can fight at his canon size a la Sentinel.
Ridley can be either playable or at his canon size. Choose one, both will distrupt the balance of the universe.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Samus: Why Marth has importance over her I don't get.
Ridley: You know Sentinel in Marvel? Yeah do that, but with Ridley.
Zelda: Obvious choice but whatever.
Little Mac: You know I gotta throw the hands.
Ganon: Again, obvious
DK: Obvious choice
Diddy + Dixie: Think Android 18 in Dragon Ball FighterZ.
Peach: Obvious
Yoshi: Obvious
Fox: Obvious...again.
Ike: He's pretty ****ing cool.
Roy 01: Need a robot to replace Mega Man.
R.O.B: Gotta have a retro guy.
Kirby: Obvious choice.
Falcon: Of course he's in.
Charizard: I guess 1 more Pokemon should be in.

DLC would be Shulk, Elma, Charizard, Greninja, Lucario, Rosalina, Inkling and K.Rool. 8 characters just like DBFZ's DLC.
Marth has priority over Samus because Fire Emblem is one of Nitendo's hot things right now.
EDIT: What Idon Idon said.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Okay, let's play a game.

I was thinking "What would happen if Nintendo asked ArcSys to make a fighting game, but told them 'As long as it has [these characters], we don't care who else is in it.'"

So...

You're making a new Nintendo fighting game with 22 characters in it, Nintendo has told you that you must include:
  • Mario
  • Luigi
  • Bowser
  • Link
  • Pikachu
  • Marth
Other than that, you can choose anyone as a fighter so long as they are Nintendo characters. In short, pick 16 characters for your hypothetical Nintendo fighting game.
arcsystems blaze blue and guilty gear are way better job of demonstrating their abilities than dbfz does. at least characterwise.
im assuming the game would be 1v1

black knight-slow hard hitting sword user
celica-combination zoner and rushdown resource managament
samus- zoner
palutena- magic user very techincal character maybe a little jack-o sheningans also breaks fourth wall in some way
bayonetta- sue me :p
shiek- rushdown ninja also uses ocarina for buffs
ganon-grappler faster than you'd think
true form midna- just want her back uses mirrors to attack very defensive
zss rushdown
metaknight
game and watch- i would want this just to see what arcsystems would come up with
dk
elma
kirby-uses copy ability from enemies he spawns (think combination of 21 and jack-0)

KMDP

Smash Legend
arcsystems blaze blue and guilty gear are way better job of demonstrating their abilities than dbfz does. at least characterwise.
im assuming the game would be 1v1

black knight-slow hard hitting sword user
celica-combination zoner and rushdown resource managament
samus- zoner
palutena- magic user very techincal character maybe a little jack-o sheningans also breaks fourth wall in some way
bayonetta- sue me :p
shiek- rushdown ninja also uses ocarina for buffs
ganon-grappler faster than you'd think
true form midna- just want her back uses mirrors to attack very defensive
zss rushdown
metaknight
game and watch- i would want this just to see what arcsystems would come up with
dk
elma
kirby-uses copy ability from enemies he spawns (think combination of 21 and jack-0)
I chose 22 characters because not only does DBFZ have 22 characters in it's base roster, it's a high, but sensible number for a proper fighting game.

EDIT: Soul Calibur VI has, as of right now, 18 characters revealed for it's base roster.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Other than the fact that everyone is trying to convince everyone else that their opinion is better when as far as I can tell everyone agrees, none of the current discussions have anything for me, So I wanted to ask, If you had 100% control over Smash ultimate charecters what would you do? Most notably, I would add Octoling skins for Inkling, while un-standardizing the amount of charecter skins, (some need more than 8 some don't), and addin Tails, Eggman, Shadow, Monika, and Cuphead as full charecters. Because I am a madman. I would also buff Wii Fit trainer to be the best charecter in the game, see previous statement.
If I had control of the roster, here's how it would go.
Keep Everyone
Cut No-one
Luigi-fy Clones
Base Young Link on Majora's Mask with a system like Shulk's Monado arts to allow transformation into Deku, Goron, and Zora forms and a Cloud Limit system that unlocks Fierce Deity to the list, which would be a limited time TF.
Dead Man's Volley as new Special for Ganondorf
Add Ashley, Krystal, Rex & Pyra, Gardevoir, Medusa, Sora, Shantae, Shovel Knight, Waluigi, Takamaru, and Mike Jones.
I want everyone to play a game.
Name your five favorite series in Smash and name a boss for them.

:ultmario:: Shadow Queen or Petey Piranha
:ultlink:: Bongo Bongo
:ultkirby:: Zero 2
:ultmarth:: Grima
:ultpikachu:: Mega Rayquaza
:ultzelda:: Vaati
:ultlucina:: King Garon
:ultcloud:: Sephiroth
:ultsonic:: Dr. Eggman (Death Egg Robot)
:ultrosalina:: Shadow Queen

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Still no update tonight huh?
Man, I miss Brawl days when waiting for updates was always exciting. Now I pretty much only get excited for music nights.
Sucks cause Brawls dojo updates showed us something new all the time. This one is still showing content from E3 and August for the most part.

Iridium

Smash Hero
:ultpikachu: Totem Kommo-o
:ultpit: Thanatos
:ultlink: Volvagia
:ultmarth: Fomortiis
:ultdk: Bashmaster (The Polar Bear)
I know the manga isn't exactly canon for TLOZ, but it makes me pity Volvagia so much that I actually get upset every time I have to defeat him.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Marth has priority over Samus because Fire Emblem is one of Nitendo's hot things right now.
EDIT: What Idon Idon said.
I mean, I get that. But I would that Samus is a lock since the character herself is more iconic than Marth. Though if I'm making a Nintendo fighter in the style of MvC, I'd probably get both anyway.

What I NEED is Nintendo vs Capcom.

D

Deleted member

Nintendo is reallllly pushing Fire Emblem.
Nintendo is pushing Fire Emblem more, but Metroid still has more sales.
Fire Emblem has came a long way though. I am not a master at Fire Emblem, because the only Fire Emblem game I play is Fire Emblem Heroes.

Last edited by a moderator:

blackghost

Smash Champion
I chose 22 characters because not only does DBFZ have 22 characters in it's base roster, it's a high, but sensible number for a proper fighting game.

EDIT: Soul Calibur VI has, as of right now, 18 characters revealed for it's base roster.
soulcalibur and dbfz are not comparable on roster size. one character in soulcalibur has a moveset more than 4x larger than dbfz character. soulcliabur also is a 3d game building assets from the ground up. dbfz is a 3v3 game. a roster size of 22 is not acceptable in a 3v3 game. thats tiny. marvel infinite launched with 30 and was cirtiqued for a small roster. injustice 2 launched with 28 and thats 1v1. Dbfz was widely criticized for it upon release. it gets even worse when you factor in mutiple versions of character in the game sharing normals, supers, and specials.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I really want to play a Fire Emblem game, and since the main system I use is the 3DS, I have Awakening and Shadows of Valentia as my options, unless I have more I haven't named.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Sales arguments are weird with Fire Emblem comparisons with Heroes existing.

$400 million in the mobile market (in 1.5 years) is hard to compare with traditional video game sales.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I really want to play a Fire Emblem game, and since the main system I use is the 3DS, I have Awakening and Shadows of Valentia as my options, unless I have more I haven't named.
Well since, the 3DS is backwards compatible with the DS, you also have Shadow Dragon as an option.

But with the power of emulation you can PLAY THE ENTIRE SERIES.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
You also have Fates, but honestly you're good with just Awakening and Shadows of Valentia

Iridium

Smash Hero
Well since, the 3DS is backwards compatible with the DS, you also have Shadow Dragon as an option.

But with the power of emulation you can PLAY THE ENTIRE SERIES.
Thank you for reminding me of that! I've never tried emulation, but I can give it a shot for the less accessible games if I'm desperate.
You also have Fates, but honestly you're good with just Awakening and Shadows of Valentia
Also true. I should write these down for later.

KMDP

Smash Legend
soulcalibur and dbfz are not comparable on roster size. one character in soulcalibur has a moveset more than 4x larger than dbfz character. soulcliabur also is a 3d game building assets from the ground up. dbfz is a 3v3 game. a roster size of 22 is not acceptable in a 3v3 game. thats tiny. marvel infinite launched with 30 and was cirtiqued for a small roster. injustice 2 launched with 28 and thats 1v1. Dbfz was widely criticized for it upon release. it gets even worse when you factor in mutiple versions of character in the game sharing normals, supers, and specials.
"Injustice 2 launched with 30"

Injustice 2 is also a sequel building off it's first game.

Also, this game would also be building assets from the ground up, just like SC6 and DBFZ.

Chrono.

If I had control of the roster, here's how it would go.
Keep Everyone
Cut No-one
Luigi-fy Clones
Base Young Link on Majora's Mask with a system like Shulk's Monado arts to allow transformation into Deku, Goron, and Zora forms and a Cloud Limit system that unlocks Fierce Deity to the list, which would be a limited time TF.
Dead Man's Volley as new Special for Ganondorf
Add Ashley, Krystal, Rex & Pyra, Gardevoir, Medusa, Sora, Shantae, Shovel Knight, Waluigi, Takamaru, and Mike Jones.
Your idea for Young Link is all I ever wanted (even if it's impractical as all hell because of how resource heavy it is, you'd to make 4 separate characters into one essentially.)

Sadly even Hyrule Warriors kinda failed me on that front, I didn't even want full transformations I just wanted him to use to the Masks for combo finishers. Instead we got the blandest moveset possible, even if he is broken.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I wonder how different things would've been if we got only a portion of the roster rather than the majority at E3, and had veteran reveals every couple of days on the website...
People would be arguing about cuts just as much as they do about newcomers and clone characters.

So basically the same, but everything's on fire.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I wonder how different things would've been if we got only a portion of the roster rather than the majority at E3, and had veteran reveals every couple of days on the website...
That would be really freaking cool!

If we just got the E3 Demo group in June (+Peach because idk how you reveal Daisy without Peach). But if the rest of the cast came as "Pic of the Day", that would be hype.

Your idea for Young Link is all I ever wanted (even if it's impractical as all hell because of how resource heavy it is, you'd to make 4 separate characters into one essentially.)
Same here. I don't think it'd be that ressource heavy tho, it would be almost like Pokemon trainer with a lightweight (Deku Scrub), mid (Zora) and heavy (Goron) + Fierce Deity as a more balanced character (could also be his final smash to cut some complexity).

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I think I might have preferred it. But, then again, these reveals have been baby-making good.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Don't forget that Marvel 3 had 36 characters in the Vanilla version.

I think TvC also had a pretty high roster count for what it was too.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I sometimes forgot how ridiculous Smash rosters are.
Frankly it's a wonder Smash is as balanced as it is, considering the size of it's rosters.
Don't forget that Marvel 3 had 36 characters in the Vanilla version.
"Marvel 3"
It was a sequel, Knight Dude, it built up it's roster over time; just like Smash has done.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Man, I just want to see what that new mode will be like. It's very satisfying to see Sakurai explain new modes, to me at least.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Man, I just want to see what that new mode will be like. It's very satisfying to see Sakurai explain new modes, to me at least.
of course, seeing them in action is another thing altogether

COUGH, SMASH TOUR, COUGH

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Frankly it's a wonder Smash is as balanced as it is, considering the size of it's rosters.

"Marvel 3"
It was a sequel, Knight Dude, it built up it's roster over time; just like Smash has done.
Maybe. But keep in mind it was the first 3D entry in the series. That's a huge leap since they couldn't just reuse the same Morrigan sprites for the 30th time. And all the Marvel characters likely had no tech to build off of directly like Infinite had with MvC3.

And it had at least 12 new characters with Ammy, Wesker, Chris, Dante, Trish, Spencer, Taskmaster, X-23, Deadpool, Thor, Phoenix and She-Hulk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom