• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Items aren't a huge issue for Lycanroc. One handed items can be used/thrown via its mouth, while heavier items could be carried/thrown on its back. Super Scope is a tricky item to find a solution to, but that item has never played too close to reality before.
I can't see how Lycanroc would be able to lift a barrel or crate without any kind of arm strength though. That kind of dilemma may be negated by the Midnight form's bipedal stature, but the Midday and Dusk forms are pure quadrupeds.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Got another game we can play. The rules are pretty simple. Order Ultimate's newcomers (not including vets) from most to least favorite, then place your two most-wanted, currently unconfirmed characters on the list.

For example:
:ultridley::ultinkling:
:ultkrool::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom:

I was so excited to get Ridley and the Inklings, and I don't think there's anyone left who could top them. Lycanroc and Mipha are two characters I've been faithfully supporting, so I'd be a little more excited for them than I was with the rest of the current newcomers.
1. Impa
2. King K Rool
3. Chrom
4. Banjo-Kazooie
5. Daisy
6. Ridley
7. Dark Samus
8. Simon
9. Inklings
10. Richter

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
67 + 6 clones = 73 characters
Now try to add 27 characters to make it 100, extra points if you go for variety of franchises and not just grab 20 pokemons.
Okay. I won't include characters that are already disconfirmed, so no Starfy or Waluigi or Captain Toad.

Super Mario:
Geno

Donkey Kong Country:
Dixie Kong
Funky Kong

The Legend of Zelda:
Daruk
Impa

Metroid:
Anthony Higgs

Kirby:
Adeleine
Magolor

Star Fox:
Peppy Hare

Pokémon:
Decidueye
Chandelure
Castform

Fire Emblem:
Celica
Caeda

Animal Crossing:
Isabelle
Blathers

Kid Icarus:
Medusa

Punch-Out!!:
Glass Joe (Little Mac echo, but his ground game is just as bad as his air game)

Xenoblade Chronicles:
Elma

Rhythm Heaven:
Chorus Kids

Mole Mania:
Muddy

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.:
Henry Fleming

Crash Bandicoot:
Crash

Frogger:
Frogger

Scribblenauts:
Maxwell

Tomb Raider:
Lara Croft

Kingdom Hearts:
Sora

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
There are 2 quadruped characters in smash already, the item issue has already been solved.
Who are the two?

The ones I'm thinking of have vine tentacle hands and are a cartoon dog with cartoon physics

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Got another game we can play. The rules are pretty simple. Order Ultimate's newcomers (not including vets) from most to least favorite, then place your two most-wanted, currently unconfirmed characters on the list.

For example:

I was so excited to get Ridley and the Inklings, and I don't think there's anyone left who could top them. Lycanroc and Mipha are two characters I've been faithfully supporting, so I'd be a little more excited for them than I was with the rest of the current newcomers.
(Professor Layton)(Gallade):ultchrom::ultinkling::ultsimon::ultkrool::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultdaisy::ultrichter:

Chrom is at the top since he was my second most wanted in the Smash 4 days, and the news about Echo Fighters reignited my interest in seeing Chrom in Smash seeing how Chrom would finally get his chance as an Echo. You can imagine how happy I was when I learned Chrom was finally coming to Smash Ultimate as a playable character.

Inkling was another one of my most wanted, so it was cool to see her in Smash.

I'm not too familiar with the Castlevania series, but Simon seemed like a fighter that'd be cool in Smash for being our first true whip-based fighter, so it was nice seeing him in Smash Ultimate. He has a pretty cool moveset from what I've seen him so far, and his reveal trailer was awesome too.

Since I don't care for the Donkey Kong or Metroid franchises, I wasn't invested in seeing K. Rool and Ridley in Smash, but I knew of their massive following in the Smash community, so I was happy for their fans when they were finally confirmed. Both had some great reveal trailers that made them quite entertaining to watch in Smash.

I don't care for Dark Samus or Daisy, so their reactions didn't excite me that much, but I do see their appeal as Echo Fighters, so I'm content with their inclusion.

I've never heard of Richter Belmont prior to his Smash reveal (the only other Belmonts I heard of from Castlevania are Trevor and Ralph), so both prior and after his inclusion, I don't think of him much when it comes to Smash, but he seems like a cool character and a neat Echo of Simon.

There's really been no character that made me feel disappointed with their inclusion so far. The newcomers have been solid thus far.

As for my two most wanted, Professor Layton and Gallade, both would be above Chrom in that list. Both Professor Layton and Gallade are my two favorite video game characters and my two most wanted for Smash. I don't have much faith in Gallade since I know his chances are already pretty low, but Layton is the one I have most faith in because his chances are somewhat decent IMO with his solid ballot popularity and his appeal as a potential puzzle-game/visual novel rep.

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord

For example:

:ultridley::ultkrool::ultdarksamus:-Skull Kid-:ultsimon:-Black Shadow:ultinkling::ultchrom::ultrichter::ultdaisy:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
81 - Derek Stiles (Trauma Center)
I see you’re a man of culture as well.

I really hate to have to keep fighting this, but people insist on keeping it alive.
This leak is not real. Absolutely not. You have to jump through so many hoops, twist so many facts, and ignore so many pieces of evidence against it to give it even a shred of credibility.

Between Simon ‘not being there’ when he’s obviously the main focus of the Castlevania representation, the ridiculous method by which he obtained the Switch and was capable of dataminging it but just lost it, the fact that there are glaringly incorrect Romaji errors (particularly with K Rool), the files being named incorrectly (which is a strong case to make when Ultimate borrows heavily from Smash 4), and Gothitelle not being a necessarily ‘bad’, but bewilderingly pointless and meaningless choice, to even give this ‘leak’ the light of day is to waste your own time.

You’re defending something that contains literally incorrect information.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Again:

A LEAK ISN'T FAKE SOLELY DUE TO THE CHARACTERS WITHIN IT.

You can doubt a leak because of the characters within it, but saying that a leak is fake for that reason is a weak argument at best and a fallacy at worst.
stealing my reaction vid and my big text gimmick?
smh

Now try to add 27 characters to make it 100, extra points if you go for variety of franchises and not just grab 20 pokemons.
oh boy i love forum games

UNIQUE:
68. Isaac (Golden Sun)
69. *click* nice Geno (Super Mario RPG)
70. Porky (Mother)
71. Mach Rider (NES)
72. Mike Jones (Startropics)
73. Paper Mario (Mario)
74. Dark Matter (Kirby)
75. Hector (Fire Emblem)
76. Elma (Xenoblade)
77. Mii Wizard (Mii Quest/Miitopia)
78. Super Macho Man (Punch-Out!!)
79. Captain Rainbow
80. Skull Kid (Zelda)
81. Onox (Zelda)
82. Bulborb (Pikmin)
83. Ayumi (Famicom)
84. Buzzwole (Pokemon)
85. Gardevoir (Pokemon)
86. Zoroark (Pokemon)
87. Prince Sable (From Whom the Frog Bells Toll)
88. Magnus (Kid Icarus)
89. Jimmy T. (WarioWare)
90. Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
91. Doomguy (Doom)
92. Dr. Eggman (Sonic)
93. Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
94. Fulgore (Killer Instinct)

ECHO:
11e. Black Shadow (F-Zero) :ultfalcon:
24e. Giygas (Mother) :ultmewtwo:
36e. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong) :ultdiddy:
38e. Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic) :ultsonic:
60e. Ken (Street Fighter) :ultryu:
64e. Octolings (Splatoon) :ultinkling:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

27 additional characters. I added a personal rule to not include deconfirmed characters.
View attachment 159747
02ε - Funky Kong
07ε - Slippy
11ε -Black Shadow
16ε -Impa
20ε - Peppy
31ε - Big Boss
36ε - Dixie Kong
38ε - Shadow
60ε - Ken
68 - Geno
69- Thwomp
70- Cranky Kong
71-Skull Kid
72- Bandanna Dee
73- Adeleine
74- Gengar
75- Spring Man
76- Isaac
77- Rayman
78- Crash
79- Dante
80- Scorpion
81- Doom Slayer
82- 2B
83- Banjo & Kazooie
84- Master Chief
86- Hat Kid
Thwomp more than makes up for the lack of beard Isaac. Does Thwomp have a Marty color?

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Not taking deconfirmed characters into account:
1) Slippy Toad
2) James McCloud
3) Sceptile
4) Lycanroc
5) Spring Man
6) Shadow
7) Skull Kid
8) Ray
9) Isabelle
10) Elma
11) Isaac
12) Sylux
13) Chibi-Robo
14) Impa
15) Captain Toad
16) Paper Mario
17) Dixie Kong
18) Genesect
19) Dillon
20) Bandanna Dee
21) Mach Rider
22) Octoling
23) Chorus Kids
24) Black Shadow
25) Louie
26) Ribbon Girl
27) Excitebiker

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
There are 2 quadruped characters in smash already, the item issue has already been solved.
Let's try to remember that Ivysaur has vines to get past the quadruped issue. As for the Duck Hunt dog, it has bipedal properties, enabling it to stand on just two legs while carrying a heavy item.

Pakky

Smash Hero
All seem like they're going to be our most likely 3rd party choices for the base roster given their status, history, and existing assets in Smash 4.
is a shot in the dark also given her history just as a character. Also, that line in her DLC is weird, though that could just amount nothing other being an AT which is still a high honor.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I can't see how Lycanroc would be able to lift a barrel or crate without any kind of arm strength though. That kind of dilemma may be negated by the Midnight form's bipedal stature, but the Midday and Dusk forms are pure quadrupeds.
It’d just have to stick its nose under the object, then lift it onto its back. It still wouldn’t be completely realistic, but the item lift animation isn’t that long and it only vaguely needs to make sense.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
This reminds me... Do you think we'll get a new FE Assist Trophy?
I hope so. Fire Emblem is underrepresented in everything but characters. At least they finally got an item.

I’m hoping for Azura. I’d like her as playable, but she’d make a nice assist.

Noipoi

Howdy!

For example:

Here's my list.
:ultinkling: Incineroar Isabelle :ultkrool::ultridley::ultdaisy::ultsimon::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultrichter:

I'm so excited for Inklings, SO excited. I love Splatoon, I adore it, it's right up there with Pokemon and Mario for me. Even if there was no doubt they were getting in i'm so happy they're here.

Incineroar was my starter in Pokemon Moon, so it'd be really cool to see it in Smash. Especially because my buddy chose Greninja in Pokemon X, so if Incineroar got in me and him could have a match with our starters.

I mostly want Isabelle because I want to kill Ridley with a puppy.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Duck Hunt and Ivysaur
Yeah one character with vine appendages and the other with cartoon physics that allow the Dog (Mr. Peepers) to stand and use guns and what not.

I want
to do this

Also spawn chairs and tables as projectiles...

"But Pakky what Pokemon move would a chair or table correlate to?"

Pakky: WHO CARES????? :ultgreninja: gets his ninja logs, give
a chair so he can give someone THE CHAIR!

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Wait people still believe the Neogaf rumor?

The user posted 3 updated rumors after deleting his account twice. We have no idea if someone just up and made the account again to spread more rumors the 2nd and 3rd time.

That's just my argument to be skeptical of it.

D

Deleted member

Again:

A LEAK ISN'T FAKE SOLELY DUE TO THE CHARACTERS WITHIN IT.

You can doubt a leak because of the characters within it, but saying that a leak is fake for that reason is a weak argument at best and a fallacy at worst.
What about that one leak with Adam Sandler?

Surely we can say that one is fake? :V

Enchess

Smash Lord

For example:

:ultkrool:Mio :ultridley: Isaac :ultinkling::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultdaisy::ultrichter::ultchrom:
I wanted K Rool less than Ridley, but after seeing both in action K Rool excites me more. I find all unique Nintendo more exciting than all unique 3rd party as a general rule. Simon beats out most echoes by virtue of being a unique character, but Dark Samus still beats him because she looks awesome and I love playing Samus in all games no matter where tier list puts her.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Well, Lycanroc does have geokinetic abilities. If anything, it could summon some stones to hold the item above/in front/beside it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It’d just have to stick its nose under the object, then lift it onto its back. It still wouldn’t be completely realistic, but the item lift animation isn’t that long and it only vaguely needs to make sense.
If I recall, Wolf Link couldn't do much with any crates except push them.

Anyway, the quadruped issue that Lycanroc's Midday and Dusk forms have could've been mitigated if it was part Psychic-type, but it's not, and the only Psychic-type moves that it can legally learn are Rest (TM) and Zen Headbutt (move tutor).

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Who are the two?

The ones I'm thinking of have vine tentacle hands and are a cartoon dog with cartoon physics
and Lycanroc is a cartoon wolf with cartoon physics.
surprised no one has suggested that it could carry Crates/Barrels on its back and carry them around. And if you're worried about how the animation would be weird then you're honestly just grasping at straws.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
If Sakurai really, really wanted Lycanroc he could make it work, it could carry items on its back or something. But the heavy item thing is a minor issue.
Unless he goes with Midnight Lycanroc, then there isn't an issue at all.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I feel like this argument is a slightly more reasonable version of the "captain toad can't jump" argument

It definitely can be solved by just seeming a little unrealistic to the game's canon but at the same time, it's smash so who cares.

D

Deleted member

Lycanroc can hold things the way Duck Hunt does or just simply carry things on it's back. It could just hold items like the beam sword in it's mouth or something.

I don't know why that should be a problem for it. Smash makes it's characters look silly all the time and isn't very realistic anyways.

Pakky

Smash Hero
and Lycanroc is a cartoon wolf with cartoon physics.
surprised no one has suggested that it could carry Crates/Barrels on its back and carry them around. And if you're worried about how the animation would be weird then you're honestly just grasping at straws.
Hmmm I think we might have different definitions of "cartoon" and "cartoon physics"

When I say 'cartoon dog' I'm referring to

While Lycanroc is dog in a cartoon meant to be a real dog with non-comical magical properties

Last edited:

ChaosSharpedo

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChaosSharpedo
Switch FC
SW-8187-0600-4038
5e. Boshi
10e. Ninten
11e. Black Shadow
16e. Impa
36e. Dixie Kong
45e. Isabelle
54e. Viridi/Medusa
60e. Ken
68. Amaterasu
69. Elma
70. Prince Sable
70e. Prince Richard
71. Ayumi Tachibana
72. Chorus Kids
73. Chibi-Robo
74. Skull Kid
75. Geno
76. Mallow
77. Banjo-Kazooie
78. Crash Bandicoot
79. Spyro
80. Dante
81. Generation 7 Rep
82. Issac
83. Bandana Waddle Dee
84. Mio Amakura
85. Rex/Pyra/Mythra

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Oi. This'll be a toughie.

74. Elma
75. Isaac
76. Dixie Kong
77. Paper Mario
78. Terra
79. Shadow
80. Isabelle
81. Ken
82. Lloyd
83. Bandana Dee
84. Spring Man
85. Rex & Pyra
86. Incineroar
87. Skull Kid
88. Porky
89. Black Shadow
90. Ayumi Tachibana
91. Mach Rider
92. Spring Man
93. Leon Kennedy
94. Dragonborn
95. Chibi-Robo
96. Slime
97. Doomguy
98. Custom Robo
99. Sylux
100. Banjo & Kazooie

For example:

:ultridley:
SSBUTerraBlondeSmall.png
:ultsimon::ultkrool:
ElmaIconSmall.png
:ultdarksamus::ultrichter::ultinkling::ultchrom::ultdaisy:

Ridley is such a freakin' hype inclusion for me that I'm willing to overlook anyone else who gets in the roster (except for 4th party characters), because I've been waiting for him to get in for so long. The only character who could possibly match Ridley in terms of hype for me at this point is Terra, and if the NeoGAF rumors are true along with Verg's claim of a SE newcomer (though I'm still pretty suspect on them), I'd be hard pressed to ask for anyone else without sounding greedy, though to be honest I kinda feel that already. Elma is another character I'd be hyped to try out, since XCX is one of my favorite RPGs.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I feel like this argument is a slightly more reasonable version of the "captain toad can't jump" argument

It definitely can be solved by just seeming a little unrealistic to the game's canon but at the same time, it's smash so who cares.
Nah, this is “Captain Toad can’t climb ladders while balancing an object on his head” :p

(Seriously, in Captain Toad, he balances the object on his head, but he also has the uncontrollable need to hold his arms up to try to support the object as if that does anything, despite the fact that they’re nowhere near long enough to reach the top of his cap..)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Lycanroc can hold things the way Duck Hunt does or just simply carry things on it's back. It could just hold items like the beam sword in it's mouth or something.

I don't know why that should be a problem for it. Smash makes it's characters look silly all the time and isn't very realistic anyways.
The problem is not the single-handed items. It's the items that require two arms (or vines in Ivysaur's case) to carry, such as barrels, crates, and Party Balls.

The two-handed item dilemma is not an issue for Lycanroc's Midnight form, but I can't say the same thing for the Midday and Dusk forms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom