• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The problem is not the single-handed items. It's the items that require two arms (or vines in Ivysaur's case) to carry, such as barrels, crates, and Party Balls.

The two-handed item dilemma is not an issue for Lycanroc's Midnight form, but I can't say the same thing for the Midday and Dusk forms.
Duck Hunt gets up on two legs and uses its front legs to carry those types of items.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
67 + 6 clones = 73 characters
Now try to add 27 characters to make it 100, extra points if you go for variety of franchises and not just grab 20 pokemons.
Here we go

Mario
1. Geno
2. Paper Mario

Zelda
3. Skull Kid
4. Impa

Pokémon
5. Buzzwole

Kirby
6. Bandanna Dee

Fire Emblem
7. Celica
8. Black Knight

DK
9. Dixie Kong
10. Funky Kong

F-Zero
11. Black Shadow

Kid Icarus
12. Medusa

Mother
13. Ninten

Pikmin
14. Alph (Promoted to echo w/rock Pikmin)

Xenoblade
15. Elma

Sonic
16. Shadow

Street Fighter
17. Ken

Bayonetta
18. Jeanne

Other Nintendo
19. Isaac
20. Chorus Kids
21. Mach Rider
22. Chibi-Robo

Other 3rd Party
23. Banjo-Kazooie
24. Rayman
25. Lloyd Irving
26. Heihachi

Forgot, Splatoon:
27. Octolings

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Got another game we can play. The rules are pretty simple. Order Ultimate's newcomers (not including vets) from most to least favorite, then place your two most-wanted, currently unconfirmed characters on the list.

For example:
:ultridley::ultinkling:
:ultkrool::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom:

I was so excited to get Ridley and the Inklings, and I don't think there's anyone left who could top them. Lycanroc and Mipha are two characters I've been faithfully supporting, so I'd be a little more excited for them than I was with the rest of the current newcomers.
:ultincineroar: :ultshadow::ultkrool::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultinkling::ultchrom::ultdaisy::ultrichter:

The lower end is not necessarily "I dislike them", it's more or less "I don't really care about them that much".

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Duck Hunt gets up on two legs and uses its front legs to carry those types of items.
Except Duck Hunt has been historically known to cartoonishly occasionally stand on his hind legs, particularly to laugh at the player.

Dawn and Midday Lycanroc are known to just move like regular wolves. It wouldn't look nearly as natural for them,

D

Deleted member

The problem is not the single-handed items. It's the items that require two arms (or vines in Ivysaur's case) to carry, such as barrels, crates, and Party Balls.

The two-handed item dilemma is not an issue for Lycanroc's Midnight form, but I can't say the same thing for the Midday and Dusk forms.
I still don't think that's that big an issue. Carrying things on its back or through other methods isn't really all that odd IMO.

Smash has never been realistic. Even Brawl was super cartoony, despite it's artstyle. Just my thoughts on the matter, though. For what it's worth, I personally believe the best fitting Lycanroc for Smash is probably Dusk Form.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
I have to try this again hold on

Custom Robo
Isaac
Prince Sable
Banjo and Kazooie
Geno
Porky
Chorus Kids
Bandana Waddle Dee
Black Shadow
Chibi Robo
Waluigi
Starfy
Ashley
Inceneroar
Impa
Andy
Excitebiker
Balloon Fighter
Dixie Kong
Elma
Spring Man
Rex and Pyra
Skull Kid
Urbosa
Edelgard
Takamaru
Felix

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I couldn’t care less whether we got Incineroar or Lycanroc but let’s not pretend that Sakurai wouldn’t make Lycanroc work if he really wanted him playable.

No one is too realistic for Smash anymore

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You do realize that I mentioned that a couple posts ago, right? Lycanroc's Midday and Dusk forms can't replicate the Duck Hunt dog's bipedal features at all, since they move in the same manner as real world wolves.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I would say K Rool, but Retro doesn't like to use him in their games. Dixie maybe?
You and I both know Sakurai doesn't consider that "Retro" yet. Better yet, I think the term retro itself for Smash character refers to characters that originated in early consoles but haven't made an appearance in decades.

:ultgnw: never appeared past 1980
:ulticeclimbers: Ice Climber Rising when?
:pit: we know this one
:ultrob: only newer appearance was a guest star on Mario Kart DS and a nod in F-Zero GX.
:ultduckhunt: kinda meme'd on in the early 2000s but never appeared past the NES Zapper games.

I wonder who the retro pick will be this time?
Mach Rider maybe.
Or Ayumi for Nintendo's version of MvC Phoenix.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Hot Take (that's also correct): Mr Game and Watch was not a retro pick, Game and Watch Gallery was a series that was getting releases at that point, Gallery 3 released in 2000, 1 year before Melee was released.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hot Take (that's also correct): Mr Game and Watch was not a retro pick, Game and Watch Gallery was a series that was getting releases at that point, Gallery 3 released in 2000, 1 year before Melee was released.
Are we talking about Game & Watch or Mr. Game & Watch? An embodiment of the LED black enigmas? because i dont see no LED bois in that Mario mishmax.

>another datamine and filename "leak"
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

In terms of "picks," why don't we just say screw it and add in the one most unique characters to be added in Smash Bros. in any capacity.
Kyle Hyde.

His trophy was insane, man.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The original G&W games were hidden unlockables in the games.
That's more R.O.B. tier stuff. Should rereleases (or games within games) even count for recent appearance or relevancy? IMO unless it was recent new material then that's still retro. Does a certain NES game that never made face being rereleased on Virtual Console make it not retro anymore?

In terms of "picks," why don't we just say screw it and add in the one most unique characters to be added in Smash Bros. in any capacity.
Kyle Hyde.

His trophy was insane, man.

I actually thought he'd be a better "detective" archetype pick than Ayumi. Ayumi just has more games I think, but I think his design would be cool.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Again with the “not able to carry items arguement”.

Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy there are more logical reasons people have made against Lycanroc, Sakurai not picking a character just because “there’s is no way” for them to carry items is frankly a stupid one and isn’t the reason why he would get rid of anyone just because of something like that. It’s not even like there’s no way either, just put in it’s mouth and have the create on it’s back, that’s it.

You keep making this same damn argument over and over again. If you don’t like it, that’s fine, but you need to come up with something better because it just comes off that you just don’t want him and try to find any petty reason against it.

Sakurai isn’t someone who would just throw out someone for something as minor as carrying an item if he’s sees potential in them in the first place, to think that means you underestimate what Sakurai and his team can do, and this is one of the worst arguments of a “problem” that I doubt Sakurai would even consider when selecting ANYONE.

I’m done with this arguement, but you won’t change what is frankly a stupid reason that can just be easily fixed, and I think you’re just being petty about it.
End rant.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
67 + 6 clones = 73 characters
Now try to add 27 characters to make it 100, extra points if you go for variety of franchises and not just grab 20 pokemons.
Okay, not including character deconfirmed:
Series already in with characters:
Mario:
Geno

Wario:
Captain Syrup

Donkey Kong:
Dixie Kong

Zelda:
Tetra
Impa(Echo of Sheik)
Mipha

Kirby:
Dark Matter

Pokemon:
Incineroar

Fire Emblem:
Celica
Medeus

Kid Icarus:
Medusa

Sonic the Hedgehog:
Eggman
Shadow(Echo of Sonic)

Xenoblade:
Elma

Street Fighter:
Ken(Echo of Ryu)

Series without characters:
Balloon Fight:
Balloon Fighter

Custom Robo:
Ray 01(with Ray MKIII as Alternate)

Golden Sun:
Isaac

Rhythm Heaven:
Chorus Kids

Sin & Punishment:
Saki Amamiya

Xenosaga:
KOS-MOS

Soul Calibur:
Nightmare

Monster Hunter:
Monster Hunter

Ninja Gaiden:
Ryu Hayabusa

Rayman:
Rayman

Banjo-Kazooie:
Banjo & Kazooie

Halo:
Master Chief

Untouch

Smash Master
You CANNOT access demos like THIS.
Super Mario Odyssey was in retail stores for a month and no one ever got into the files, you cannot just get into these retail kiosks, this was obviously something nintendo though of.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You CANNOT access demos like THIS.
Super Mario Odyssey was in retail stores for a month and no one ever got into the files, you cannot just get into these retail kiosks, this was obviously something nintendo though of.
This.

I'm still curious though, is it a cartridge that they're sent or is it some type of download that we don't know about? Boggles my mind.

kylexv

Smash Master
98.6% chance this is fake. Things I noticed:

1. Marshall refers to the character of the same name, probably not the Chorus Kids.
2. Rex is probably too recent to make it into the base roster but, as with everything, I could be wrong
3. I don't see Gardevoir working well as a Mewtwo echo fighter, as it doesn't have a tail. Mewtwo uses its tail for many of its tilts and two aerials.

Noipoi

Howdy!
You and I both know Sakurai doesn't consider that "Retro" yet. Better yet, I think the term retro itself for Smash character refers to characters that originated in early consoles but haven't made an appearance in decades.

WHOOSH
It was a joke on how Retro studios decided not to use K Rool in their Donkey Kong games.
"Retro" character, get it?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Retro Picks: A gimmick present since Super Smash Bros. Melee's release in 2001.

how much you wanna see me keep talking?
Is that what you think?

-no, there is no Incineroar pic incoming; actually serious here-

Only one character choice is on record for being a token "retro" pick, and that's the very first one. :ulticeclimbers:. The Climbers were literally chosen from a pool of options based on what gameplay style they brought to the table.

:ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt:? Token "surprise" characters, something we're not getting this time. All characters are going to be revealed by the time of release. Are all these characters "retro"? Well, yes. BUT... these are all historical characters, and it's that historical that put them in consideration as the surprise character for each release, not just being "retro".

:ultpit:? He had what the other four mentioned didn't. He had notable fan demand. He wasn't picked just to be a token "retro" character.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
>Rex

Yeah, no. As much as I’d like Rex, we’d sooner get Elma because Rex was too late for the base roster when it was finalized in 2015. Rex is far, far more likely to be DLC than make it to the base roster.

[edit] also Gardevoir as an echo of Mewtwo of all Pokémon? Wat

Also they misspelled Kazooie. I don’t trust any leak with spelling errors.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
This.

I'm still curious though, is it a cartridge that they're sent or is it some type of download that we don't know about? Boggles my mind.
I think they send pre programmed switch consoles, actually...

RandomAce

Smash Champion
>Rex

Yeah, no. As much as I’d like Rex, we’d sooner get Elma because Rex was too late for the base roster when it was finalized in 2015. Rex is far, far more likely to be DLC than make it to the base roster.
Rex is what made think it’s fake.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So what do you think about that Imran rumor?

I saw the twitter post of his but I can't seem find now. But this is what he said.

2 Sega Reps
2 Capcom Reps
2 Konami Reps
1 Namco Rep
1 SE Rep

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So what do you think about that Imran rumor?

I saw the twitter post of his but I can't seem find now. But this is what he said.

2 Sega Reps
2 Capcom Reps
2 Konami Reps
1 Namco Rep
1 SE Rep
We technically have THREE Konami reps now, so I guess that one’s debunked too

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think they send pre programmed switch consoles, actually...
I wanted to consider that but that sounds hella costly. What are you exactly gonna do once the kiosk's done and over? Uninstall it and sell it as refurbrished?

D

Deleted member

This.

From what little I've read about it, Nintendo reps usually come and assist in setting them up, which makes any story of someone somehow stealing it that much more unbelievable. People setting these things up are not unsupervised, and there are usually people monitoring these demo units while people are using them to make sure nothing fishy happens.

The only way a datamine leak is gonna happen is if Nintendo doesn't announce the full roster and modes before pre-loading goes live, which I highly doubt will be the case. I'm sure one of the biggest reasons Nintendo is going to announce all fighters pre-release is so that this kind of thing can't happen in the first place.

The only leaks that can happen at this point with the level of secrecy going on at Nintendo with this game is text leaks like Verge and Loz. Something like a datamine will come too late in the game to matter, and I highly doubt anything like the ESRB leak will happen again (especially because the game has already been rated).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom