• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicMario

Smash Master
On a side note, I'm surprised we didn't get a new Mania or Forces stage in the game (Green Hill doesn't count) over Windy Hill to represent the latest Sonic title.
In some ways, I'm perfectly fine with that. If there had been a new stage it would of likely been for Forces since both were probably in development at around the same time. And while I don't think Forces was a horrible game it's not exactly one with a good reception either. Lost World's reception was far from perfect too, but I felt it was still a decent enough Sonic game at the time (A bit of a quality dip from Colors, the game it's sort of a follow-up to. But otherwise at least a fine experiment. I mean the Wii U version anyway, I know the 3DS version is preeeettttyyyyyyyyy bad) that it was perfectly fine to get it as a new stage. And I think Windy Hill is a legitimately good 8-Player Smash stage at least. It's not too big and/or convoluted like Palutena's Temple or Great Cave Offensive. But not too small to the point there's barely any space for everybody to move. I imagine it's definitely far from a good 1 v 1 stage for it's size but I like that it's long since it gives plenty of room for fast characters like Sonic to run.

And in the event Tails is playable in the game, Windy Hill makes perfect sense for his background on Smash Ultimate's site considering he actually was in Sonic Lost World while he was never in Sonic 1

Roberk

Smash Champion
IDK if this has been mentioned, but "Gear up for..." was added to go along with Chrom's reveal. It's just a few weeks late because we got tracks for the Belmonts on the reveal week and K. Rool last week. I saw a lot of people speculating about things last night as if a track coming from FE this week was a surprise and whether it was significant or not for future speculation. It's not.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So Sakurai says the Ballot was the reasons for the characters chosen in Ultimate? Well, well, that makes things spicy~

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Ultimate Roster.png

So, hypothetical:

> This is the full roster
> 103 stages
> Over 900 songs
> Spirits mode ends up like a pretty cool adventure/story mode

If the game came out today, without any other character reveals, but only adds what we've heard from Vergeben...

Yfw? Your score/10? Thoughts?

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
View attachment 159236

So, hypothetical:

> 103 stages
> Over 900 songs

Just one new character?

I’m sort of disappointed, not only do I get a Pokémon as a newcomer that I don’t even like/want for Smash, a lot of the other popular picks are shafted, and we get no Elma too.

I mean it feels weird to stop after King K. Rool.

Last edited:

blazefan519

Smash Ace
Sonic Rush Adventure is one of the few Sonic Games I know next to nothing about, it was released during the short period when I wasn't buying handheld Sonic games (basically I only missed Rush Adventure and Colors DS).

Also Chaos has Hydrokinesis too (uh... technically), and "Perfect Chaos" is technically his Super Form. >_>
I'm specifically referencing this scene here https://youtu.be/iAqqPMMeBJM?list=PL3QR-Vde0dPIQrCGU205lDBpnzGhtAhPt&t=27
Also if Chaos has Hydrokinesis, is he Hydrokinesis...ing himself? thinking intensifies
What do people here think the odds are for us getting a legit leak around October or November? I personally think Nintendo will be able to keep things quiet and surprise us this go around.
It depends really. Sakurai has been making extra sure nothing gets out although we saw what happened with the Smash Blog and besides Vergeben and maybe Loz18 (are we still talking about him?) there doesn't seem to be that much leakage going on here. I want to say that we won't get as big of a leak as ESRB but, who knows. Unless there's an online demo or something and it gets datamined to hell and back.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Incineroar as the only newcomer left? Now why's that?

I still dig it.
Eh, I'm just looking to see what people think in terms of what we'd have if that turns out to be real, and nothing else comes up.

I mean, seeing that "hint" from Sakurai with Golden Sun makes me think Isaac may have a shot, and I would love to see Geno. I'm just going for the hypothetical is all.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 159236

So, hypothetical:

> 103 stages
> Over 900 songs

I'd be completely okay with everything here. Roster for me was perfect as of E3, and I don't want too many characters, so capping it off there is perfectly alright. Stage-wise, I'd still be disappointed that they chose PictoChat 2 over PictoChat 1, but it's not a deal breaker sense literally every other stage I like is in the game. I don't think I could give a numerical score at this point simply because I haven't played the game yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Just one new character?

Disappointed, not only do I get a Pokémon as a newcomer that I don’t even like/want for Smash, a lot of the other popular picks are shafted, and we get no Elma too.
That roster also has Ken (from Street Fighter) and Isabelle (from Animal Crossing) both as Echoes of Ryu and Villager respectively.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Verge doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would "hint" at something and would just explicitly say it lol. Or just "Don't believe any leak unless X character is mentioned"
Vergeben outright says whatever information he has. The only exception is a Gen 7 Pokemon and that is due to two of the his three sources being uncertain who it is, and one outright saying it is Incineroar. He flat out said Ridley and Simon were coming. He also flat out confirmed Isabelle, and just nonchalantly said Ken should be a mainstay of any legitimate roster. However, Vergeben has missed certain characters (K. Rool, Daisy, Richter, Dark Samus, and Chrom), so there is probably more characters he does not know about (especially echoes, which Vergeben's sources seem to have the hardest time finding out about).

What do people here think the odds are for us getting a legit leak around October or November? I personally think Nintendo will be able to keep things quiet and surprise us this go around.
There is Vergeben who has been proven correct so far. LoZ too, however, Loz acting like a child on twitter puts anything his says as suspect. It is strange why they would add Moon Assist Trophy and no Skull Kid to be seen. However, the other stuff he is saying aside from Skull Kid is really suspect.

Last edited:

blazefan519

Smash Ace
View attachment 159236

So, hypothetical:

> 103 stages
> Over 900 songs

If the game came out today, without any other character reveals, but only adds what we've heard from Vergeben...

On one hand adventure/story mode that I've been wanting ever since it was cut, on the other literally no newcomer that I legit wanted at all (except maybe Incineroar), that's a toughie. But I'm gonna say that I'd prefer the story mode. It's been my number 1 want and while newcomers are nice, I'll mostly gravitate towards the characters I'm more familiar with anyways.

Edit: Oh and my score 7/10

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

View attachment 159236

So, hypothetical:

> 103 stages
> Over 900 songs

I do not care for Incineroar and I REALLY don't like Ken, so them being the final reveals would end this game's pre-release hype out on a whimper for me. Isabelle would be the only saving grace here, TBH. That being said, I have gotten a TON from my wishlist already and my hype for two new Metroid reps, a new DK rep, and Splatoon finally being in Smash would pretty much make me forget any sadness I'd have at the final reveals not being something I care for. Not to mention I've been begging for a new story mode in Smash for forever now, so that would be a dream come true for me. All in all, a solid 8/10.

However, throw Octolings and a new Kirby character in there as DLC and it'll instantly jump up to 10/10.

KMDP

Smash Legend
About the Moon Assist...

Maybe Sakurai took people saying "Skull Kid's Assist should have been the Moon" a bit too literally.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Eh, I'm just looking to see what people think in terms of what we'd have if that turns out to be real, and nothing else comes up.

I mean, seeing that "hint" from Sakurai with Golden Sun makes me think Isaac may have a shot, and I would love to see Geno. I'm just going for the hypothetical is all.
I think if this was it, Isaac and Geno fans should definitely get an answer for what's up

Either way, 9/10. Maybe. Would be 10/10 if it had my favorite Smash stage.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
View attachment 159236

So, hypothetical:

> 103 stages
> Over 900 songs

Honestly?

Pretty good. Impressive work with the echo choices and bringing back those that were lost to the sands of time Sakurai, but only five unique newcomers is a little low when the main appeal for me is playing as the newcomer cast.

But judging by the recent 'leaks' there's a bunch of potential characters I'd absolutely hate to see, and this roster is devoid of all of those at least.

7/10

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Hmm...
Sonic has Aerokinesis (in the form of Sonic Wind)
Knuckles has Geokinesis (at least in Sonic Battle)
Shadow has Photokinesis (in the form of Chaos Spear)
Blaze has Pyrokinesis
Silver has Psychokinesis

Interesting how all the Sonic characters with canon Super Forms have some form of psychic power, huh?
Yep, and Tails has the power of... Heart.

On a side note I always found it ironic whenever someone makes fun of the power of Heart considering how powerful it is.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
View attachment 159236

So, hypothetical:

> 103 stages
> Over 900 songs

I could honestly **** with this roster, no real complaints after K. Rool being revealed.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
That roster also has Ken (from Street Fighter) and Isabelle (from Animal Crossing) both as Echoes of Ryu and Villager respectively.
You missed the part about one "new" fighter

That's referring to a newcomer that isn't an Echo

KMDP

Smash Legend
Yep, and Tails has the power of... Heart.

On a side note I always found it ironic whenever someone makes fun of the power of Heart considering how powerful it is.
Wasn't Heart pretty much mind control in Captain Planet?

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
View attachment 159236

So, hypothetical:

> 103 stages
> Over 900 songs

9/10

I got Snake, Pokemon trainer, and wolf back. I'm still in disbelief that we have Ridley and K. Rool in a smash game. Isabelle and Ken are great echo characters, I'd still want a few more echoes but I'm mostly satisfied. Incineroar is not my favorite choice but I'm sure he could have a really fun move set.

There is going to be that greedy part of me that wishes I'd get one more new stage, echo, unique character, etc. but man this game is crazy with whats already shown.

D

Deleted member

So, we're approaching September...thoughts on any reveals happening then? I personally think no, but anything could happen, I guess. My only hope for next month is the surprise announcement of a demo to go with the launch of their online, but that's kind of a longshot.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I'll be surprised if we don't get a character to represent the Mario RPGs. Geno and Paper Mario were both popular requests, and would both make for fun and unique fighters.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
View attachment 159236

So, hypothetical:

> 103 stages
> Over 900 songs

I'm gonna give this a solid 9.3/10

Only .7 missing due to some characters like Dixie and Shadow not making it along with no DLC

Yep

The four elements - Earth, Fire, Wind, Water along with the power of Heart

Noipoi

Howdy!
View attachment 159236

So, hypothetical:

> 103 stages
> Over 900 songs

10/10
The game already looks amazing, getting Incineroar and Isabelle would simply be the icing to the icing on the cake.
I'd be a little sad for Geno though.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
So, we're approaching September...thoughts on any reveals happening then? I personally think no, but anything could happen, I guess. My only hope for next month is the surprise announcement of a demo to go with the launch of their online, but that's kind of a longshot.
There's gonna have to be a direct to showcase the online system that launches September; I wouldn't bet money on it but we could get a reveal then.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
That, and immune to mind control, and in the comics, read minds, knock people out, control endless hordes rabid of wildlife, he could of control everyone on the planet if he wanted to/trained enough.

It's just that he was too kind, and compassionate to do all that stuff, which makes perfect sense why Gaia gave Ma-Ti the ring in hindsight, she's smart.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
There's gotta be a Direct for the online service. We could get some games and a newcomer reveal.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Between now and September? Doubtful. September as a whole? Feel like we're gonna get at least one reveal. I'd be satisfied even with an echo.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Either a reveal during a general direct for the online service, or something for TGS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom