• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Hey not sure if it has been said yet but...
In spite of the Bayoness, Snake, and dark themes like Ridley’s trailer and the Castlevania stage, Smash is still E10+.

I guess with the more charismatic/brightened up overall mood it didn’t really make the game break into the Teen rating. Not a deal breaker or anything, just a small thing since everyone was crazy about the rating for some reason at times.
This just means anyone who has cake other than :ultpalutena::ultwario: will either be censored...or face the same fate as :ultsnake: (also means Sakurai is the master of making games E10+

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I was 50/50 on adding him and Link to that list. I don't really have a good sense of how well those two are known by non-gamers. I even considered adding Ryu or a second. Maybe I should have thrown them in as Peach-category, I included her mostly because of the ammount of merchandise I've seen with her.
Yoshi has a TON of merchandise. I should know...

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
View attachment 159236

So, hypothetical:

> This is the full roster
> 103 stages
> Over 900 songs
> Spirits mode ends up like a pretty cool adventure/story mode

If the game came out today, without any other character reveals, but only adds what we've heard from Vergeben...

Yfw? Your score/10? Thoughts?
I'll bite.

From a fan standpoint, this is a phenomenal roster. The roster was already really good in Smash 4, but the inclusion of Ridley, Inkling, and King K. Rool makes this roster outstanding. I'd be lying if I said I'm not a little sad that Dixie Kong and Impa didn't make it, but that's just personal preference. I think the choices were great and it really feels like a game full of all-stars. As far as Stages, I'd love to see some more new ones hopefully in DLC. I'm not a HUGE fan of some of the returning stages, and some that I DO like are left out, but no hard feelings here. The music count being about 900 leaves me flabbergasted, though.

Now, from a marketing perspective, I think it's next to garbage that they would have blown out all the exciting stuff at the beginning of the marketing phase. Granted, the marketing period for this game is only about 8 months, but this is the epitome of a hype killer. If you want your consumers interested and engaged, you have to hand feed them the most exciting stuff near the end of the marketing phase. That way, when launch is finally here, the hype is high and the buzz is real. Of the three remaining characters, Isabelle is the only one I suspect made it anywhere on the Ballot, and I definitely don't think it's that high.

As a fan: 9/10
As a marketer: 4/10

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Going back to the Tails discussion from a while back, I think he has one huge advantage over Knuckles and Shadow - he's not just a video game icon, he's a cultural icon.
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultdk::ultsonic::ultpacman::ultpikachu:and maybe:ultpeach: are characters I feel like you don't have to really know games in order to recognize. They're so iconic I'm sure even my grandma would say she at least recognizes most of them, even if not by name. And I think Tails (and Dr.Eggman, admittedly) are some of the last characters with that sort of recognizability not yet in the game. Yeah he's mostly known for being the sidekick of Sonic the Hedgehig, but at the same time, he's the sidekick of Sonic the Freaking Hedgehog. I'm not kidding when I equate him to Luigi. [/I]

Oh and yeah, I didn't include Link on purpose by the way, because I honestly had no idea who he was before I played my first LoZ game. Every gamer knows him, but I probably couldn't say that about my previously mentioned Grandma.

And yeah, I know the Ballot is the primary method of choosing new fighters, but it's definitely not the only method. Simon was no where near as requested as K.Rool and Ridley, but he still made it in by his own merits. I could easily see the same for Tails. I'm not even a Sonic fan but I still see Tails as an incredibly strong contender as an original newcomer. It astonishes me how much people are sleaping on him because he's a minor background character in an age where Alfonzo McLeave-it-to-me is a thing.
RE: Cultural Icons in Gaming

There are only really a few left: Tails, "Dr. Robotnik" and Lara Croft.

There's also Tetris, which I'm honestly surprised hasn't been made an Assist Trophy yet.

Link is a cultural icon... if you count "normies" (ugh...) constantly misnaming him like they do DC's Captain Marvel (fun fact: for a brief time in the 50s, Captain Marvel was more popular than Superman). So you're right to leave him out. :laugh:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Ahh Reno im 3 hours away. I go to Reno for the gamblin only though. jejej

So is there no other character you enjoy aside from Yoshi? What about Boshi?
Boshi, Luigi, Shulk (and other Xenoblade characters), Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Mario, Richter, King Dedede, Samus, etc.

There's probably more I'm not thinking of...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Not only can Tails fly... he is as fast as Sonic, invented the Spindash, is smarter than Eggman, and can pilot a biplane.

He's also 8 years old.
I thought he was 12

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Problems with this new leak:

-A PM from Vergeben. Vergeben doesn't do this with non-leakers. OP has not posted proof this PM is real.
-Vergeben has barely actually spoken since E3. He's hinted at Isabelle and Ken, a gen 7 Pokemon. That's it. Why would he drop this in a PM?
-2 Namco newcomers from the same series...not Soul Calibur or Tekken. This part is subjective, but you're fooling yourself if you think KOS-MOS and some Echo would come in over Heihachi, who even Sakurai considered at one point.

Feels just like the good ol' Leaks and Speculation Thread days.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
After looking at the Duck Hunt trailer one thing I can see that's different is that his can floats way more in the air than it used to. Do you think this is gonna be more of a nerf or a buff? I'm banking on nerf.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
That's probably faked, and even if it wasn't, trusting leaks in the first place is dangerous, but to humor it? Why not. Never played Xenosaga games but I'm aware of KOS-MOS from XC2. Would be fine with it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
View attachment 159236

So, hypothetical:

> 103 stages
> Over 900 songs

If the game came out today, without any other character reveals, but only adds what we've heard from Vergeben...

No Cuts + Simon + Rool + Isabelle + Story Mode + The Man Himself, Chrom?

Easy 10/10

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
No Heihachi? I call BS. Heihachi is Namco's #2 most popular character after PAC.

And No Calibur is a bit irritating. I love it, but it has gotten **** on lately. Hope the next one is good, and I'm sure they'd love to market the **** out of that.
Raphael for SCVI plz

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Amy is 12, Tails is 8.

Sonic is 16, Rouge and Knuckles are 18

And Shadow is like... 50 or something.
I always find it weird that Amy is 12 in the main series (and probably Boom aswell...which I won’t accept the best Amy not being a teen)
I’d be ok with KOS-MOS and Lloyd.
I’d be ok with Ms.Pac-Man and...Ivy...I got nothing else from Namco outside Tekken, Soul Caliber, and DBZ...and obviously Pac-Man
After looking at the Duck Hunt trailer one thing I can see that's different is that his can floats way more in the air than it used to. Do you think this is gonna be more of a nerf or a buff? I'm banking on nerf.
Could go either way, but shouldn’t affect them too much...but Duck Hunt Medley #2 needs to be released now

blazefan519

Smash Ace
Amy is 12, Tails is 8.

Sonic is 16, Rouge and Knuckles are 18

And Shadow is like... 50 or something.
Excuse me for being nerdy but
Sonic is 15 (his birthday in Generations was confirmed non-canon)
Knuckles is 16
Rouge is 18
And Shadow's age is "Unknown"

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I mean why is Gal Gun rated M?

If it were up to me I’d rate it T, it’s not THAT bad in terms of it’s content but it’s pushy.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Are we talking fox years or human years?
*shrug*
I always find it weird that Amy is 12 in the main series (and probably Boom aswell...which I won’t accept the best Amy not being a teen)
The Boom Team probably aged Amy and Tails up to Sonic's age or close to it, to be honest. They might not even know what ages Amy and Tails are meant to be.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
View attachment 159236

So, hypothetical:

> 103 stages
> Over 900 songs

Non-biased, just objective Smash fan roster score: 9/10
Super biased because the only new characters I'm really happy with are Simon and Inkling score: 7.5/10

blazefan519

Smash Ace
*shrug*

The Boom Team probably aged Amy and Tails up to Sonic's age or close to it, to be honest. They might not even know what ages Amy and Tails are meant to be.
Being nerdy again whoops, but the writers confirmed that the characters ages in Boom were the same as the games adjusts glasses

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So where is this whole thing about another Namco character coming from?

Is it a fake screenshot because that seems to be a pretty big trend if I do say so myself.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Excuse me for being nerdy but
Sonic is 15 (his birthday in Generations was confirmed non-canon)
Knuckles is 16
Rouge is 18
And Shadow's age is "Unknown"
I could have sworn Sonic was 16 and Knuckles was older... (and I wasn't counting Generations)

Hm...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom