• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
On that note, here's who I think the remaining newcomers are.
Geno, Bandana Dee, Incineroar, Isaac. We could see Skull Kid, Banjo-Kazooie as well.
I also want to push my luck and say Paper Mario could finally make the cut as well. What do you guys think on that?

Oh, and Echoes? Isabelle, Ken, Black Shadow, Black Knight, Shadow the Hedgehog, Dixie Kong. We could also see Impa, Ninten, Dry Bowser, Birdo, and Funky Kong, though I'm much less sure on those.
Jeez that's a lot of Black prefixes

Untouch

Smash Master
As a follow-up, how many more directs do you think there will be and how many characters will they show in each?
One in November focusing on the hidden mode.
One in December (early) that works like the 50 fact extravaganza focusing on the missing stuff.
Both have 2 unique 2 echos.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
The B&W Elite 4 theme can be heard from the edges of the Earth
SORRY YOU'RE GONNA HAVE TO SPEAK UP A LITTLE
*The B&W Cynthia Battle Theme that pierces the Heavens* WHAT'S THAT? I SWORE I HEARD SOMETHING? MUST BE THE INSECTS BENEATH ME!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Plasmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Incoming epicness!

Did someone say "PLASMAAAAAAA!"?

Those two could get something...but Super Mario Run and Pokémon Go (if they have music) are probably more likely...Mitomo stage please
Super Mario Run is a must, since that's where Daisy made her first playable role in a main Mario game.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
DmC: Devil May Cry
I honestly find DmC to be quite a good game in it's own right. It's a lot of fun. The characters aren't good, but the gameplay itself is really good with a cool soundtrack and awesome bosses.

When it comes to gameplay, it's probably one of the better DMC's as a whole. I know it's controversial to say good things about DmC but still, it's how I feel about it. DMC2 on the other hand......no.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So people have posted a lot of characters they think will make in, but how MANY characters do you guys think will be added in addition to the new ones? For example 5 newcomers and 6 more echos?
6 newcomers and 6 echoes for 10 and 10 each. I think Sakurai was trying to be cheeky when he said there wouldn't be a lot of ””"""""""""new""""""""""" fighters plus I know if they chose the right Echos, most people wouldn't even complain about the number of totally original new fighters.

D

Deleted member

Also just leaving this here before I leave because Smash should allow me to cry amd fight

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
oh and my bets on newcomers:
Skull Kid, Geno, a new Pokémon (betting on Zeraora but I can see Incineroar too) and Isabelle (yep! not an Echo). Pushing my luck I guess... Elma and Chorus Kids if we get more than expected?

and on Echoes:
Shadow, Ken, Yarn Yoshi, Black Shadow... Plus pushing my luck, Impa and my bold guess which is ACNL Villager (I still think it's really suspicious how Villager still has his old design when everyone got updated ones, my bold guess is that they wanted to keep both in a vein similar to Ike but they have different body frames, which makes ACNL Villager a potential echo to either Villager himself or Isabelle. I know, it's really bold and I may be wrong, but this thought is in my head for a while now)

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I made a roster where I gave every character an echo (even characters that already have echoes).
Everyone's echo fighter Roster.png

Some are streches (And Cloud's supposed to be Zach, I just didn't feel like adding another custom image). The bottom row are the characters I predict, and are in order: Bandana Dee, Lycanroc, Issac, Geno, Rayman, and Skull Kid.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think Isabelle is definitely probably playable but it could be as either a unique fighter or an echo.

Don't send me 30 notifications on why Isabelle can't fit Villager's proportions, Sakurai will do whatever he wants.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Do people even really want to play as a Villager with longer limbs?
At least Isabelle has her fans, but... the mayor's just the same guy with less stubby limbs.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Alright! prediction time!
I predict we'll get 4-6 more newcomers and 4-8 more echoes, I'd like it if we got 4 more newcomers and 4 more echoes for a total og 16 new characters.

When it comes to Directs, we'll get one next month detailing the Switch's internet service with one Newcomer and maybe one or two echoes.
In October or November we'll get the final Smash Direct revealing the remaining newcomers and echoes, revealing the mysterious blurred out mode, and showing off new features. Somewhere in between we might get a random broadcast like Robin and Lucina. And then the game'll be out!

My predictions for the remaining characters
(going off the assumption that we won't get any new stages before dlc, meaning all new characters will be from series already in the game)
Newcomers: Geno, Incineroar, Bandanna Dee, Skull Kid.
Echoes: Isabelle, Ken, Shadow, Dixie Kong.

Geno, Incineroar, Isabelle, Ken, and Shadow are the ones i'm most confident about. I expect them at this point.
Incineroar could be Lycanroc, Decidueye, or Zeraora, but I think it'll be Incineroar.
Skull Kid, Bandanna Dee, and Dixie Kong i'm a little less confident about. But they've still got great chances.

I also expect there to be one character none of us expected like Bubble Bobble or Dig-Dug or something.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I think Isabelle is definitely probably playable but it could be as either a unique fighter or an echo.

Don't send me 30 notifications on why Isabelle can't fit Villager's proportions, Sakurai will do whatever he wants.
Wait people don't think Isabelle cant fit Villager? HOW?

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
To be honest I actually have a feeling (probably setting myself up for disappointment I know) we can't take Sakurai's words of "don't expect too many more newcomers" at face value. The game had a much easier dev cycle and by bringing back old characters they didn't have to start from scratch anyway. This likely meant a lot more time developing new characters instead of developing and engine.

I half expect another 6-8 unique and 6-8 more echo characters as a result. Reason being is because I think we'll get 2 more directs, 1 that reveals 2 more uniques like the last 2 times, but the final direct does an "everyone is here" trailer but with a bunch of new characters we haven't seen before.

Basically, the same trailer, but sprinkled in between is a short CG trailer revealing yet another new character for the game. I just have slight, personal feeling that many of the popular characters people want are going to make the roster.

For those curious, I think:

- A gen 7 Pokemon (Silvally or Rowlett or Incineroar, etc)
- Geno
- Isaac
- Skull Kid
- Bandana Dee
- Another Bamco rep (Heihachi or Lloyd, I'm half conviced that Bamco has an influence in who is included since they are making the game too)
- Banjo and Kazooie (The first Western 3rd party rep ever and to me, likely the only out of Banjo, Rayman, Spyro and Crash (if we are grouping them together)
- Karate Joe/Rhythm Heaven rep (I am definitely in the seat that there was supposed to be a rep in the end).

I really think they are going to want to try and do the impossible and attempt to drive the "Everyone is Here" idea BEYOND returning characters, but also 90% of the fanbase's most wanted newcomers too. The 4 unique newcomers (Inkling, Ridley, Simon and K. Rool) were all on this list at some point for many people.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think an argument I heard was the proportions on Villager are from a different AC game and Isabelle isn't an exact match so it wouldn't work. I really don't know lol.
This is it.

Isabelle was introduced in New Leaf where all villagers got different body proportions with longer limbs, etc, etc.

Smash Villager has the proportions of villagers before New Leaf.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Made this mock up in photoshop of what I think the final roster might be
3 newcomers
6 echoes

Reasoning :
Dixie - Is Diddys echo. She lacks a jab finisher and her up b is her hair twirl. Visually her popgun is bubblegum shots. EXTREMELY popular character and has been wanted for years, and was cut from brawl.

Black Knight - Ike echo. Slightly tweaked animations. Up B is a warp like zeldas. The most popular FE villain and canonically has the same fighting style as ike. Would work to add a villain to the FE reps and would be very easy. Also had a mii outfit, the general in the back of castle siege was changed, and ikes black knight skin was tweaked.
Isabelle - A super popular character. Animations are different from villagers but is very similar. Has been leaked several times (dont believe leaks but eh) and had a mii outfit. Also missing from the ATs
Medusa - Relatively popular villain and the only NES era villain missing as well as nintendos main girl villain, something smash still lacks. DA and bair lack a shield and her specials are palus other specials from s4 since customs are gone.
Shadow - Missing AT and super popular. Up B is a warp. Mostly animation differences.
Ken - the first echo fighter ever. Also the only char aside from ryu who had a trophy or music in Smash 4. Up B and side b are multi hit and up b has fire effects
Skull Kid - Insanely popular, several hints at him already, missing AT that was replaced completely, only other zelda char that is on the level of the main 3.
Isaac - can be the retro pick I guess. HUGE fan demand, still missing from the ATs and was a super popular ballot choice.
Banjo - The only char i can honestly think to top ridley or K rool with most people. While I dont care about him, I know hes insanely popular to a ludicrous degree. Rare and microsoft both said theyd want to see him in last game but have been strangely quiet this time around

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Isabelle could easily have her hitboxes and animations tweaked just a little bit to work just fine with Villager's moves and thus serve as their Echo Fighter.​

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
3 newcomers
6 echoes
Is it bad that I just noticed Sheik supposedly came in before Zelda?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Pokemon Black and White music? Why didn't you say so? None of you FOOLS posted the best track yet anyway. I'll put them in spoilers to save some space.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Sheik in Smash:
Legendary ninja of speed, able to catch and punish any mistakes and mercilessly throw them off-stage before they can even react. An iconic warrior and a peerless assassin.
Sheik in LoZ:
"lol, harps"

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Isabelle could easily have her hitboxes and animations tweaked just a little bit to work just fine with Villager's moves and thus serve as their Echo Fighter.​
Pretty much how I feel. They aren't just gonna port a model from a different game and use that. She'd have a brand new model for Smash and it could easily be adjusted to fit Villager while looking fine.

I don't want to hear anything about how it'd look wrong either, as the Smash modeling team is really good.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
If I had to guess what Isabelle's differences would be, since she's almost a lock-in at this point, I'd say she'd be faster but weaker than Villager. Maybe the Tree she plants could be a cherry blossom?​

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Sheik in Smash:
Legendary ninja of speed, able to catch and punish any mistakes and mercilessly throw them off-stage before they can even react. A legendary warrior and a peerless assassin.
Sheik in LoZ:
"lol, harps"
Can't even 1v1 Bongo Bongo.

this is real btw if you never played ocarina of time

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
3 newcomers
6 echoes
Surprised at the lack of Geno.

I feel he’s more likely than Isaac but other than that solid predictions.

Last edited:

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Surprised at the lack of Geno.

I feel he’s more likely than Isaac but other than that solid predictions.
I think Geno is hurt by being locked behind square enix and their stingyness and for not being THAT well known outside of some smashers and his die hard fans. Banjo is just a far more well known character and would be a lot easier to add

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I think Geno is hurt by being locked behind square enix and their stingyness and for not being THAT well known outside of some smashers and his die hard fans. Banjo is just a far more well known character and would be a lot easier to add
I think this is a bit skewed.
You think Square Enix, who has already given them the complete OK to use Geno as a Mii costume, Final Fantasy content, and who also agreed to the usage of that content for Ultimate, is less likely to allow a playable Geno then Microsoft, who has competed with Nintendo for years and years, has much more reason to be stingy with Nintendo, would be with Banjo-Kazooie?

I don't feel Banjo is as well-known in modern gaming as you think, and he definitely wouldn't be easier, seeing as Smash already has the rights to use Geno as evidenced by the Mii costume.
Hope this doesn't sound harsh BTW.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
IMO Steve is a far more likely candidate than Banjo, who only has the ballot going for him, of which we don't know if he scored high enough to even be considered. You only got one shot and that shot was either at Ridley, K. Rool, or Geno. If you wanted to add the artificially included fourth musketeer Banjo (who's really Isaac in the long run), I don't know many people who would've put him at the top.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom