• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What about Touhou? Amazing Indie series and all.

I would love it to have Smash content too. Another great and popular one(though a bit niche, sadly. Well, outside of boorus...).
That's why I said I saw Fate as understandable but Touhou as not. I'm not gonna pretend I know a single thing about Touhou outside of what genre it is and its platform, but I still see both of them as laughable suggestions. In the sense of visual novels, that's an ESRB crippler. In the sense of a mainly PC-oriented Japanese bullet hell funride, eeeeeeeeeeeeh I doubt there's gonna be another Cloud situation because at least most people who owned a PSX or existed during the late 90s console wars knew what a Cloud Strife was in America. I don't know if Touhou is a thing in Europe, but at least in America I know there's not much.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If the "visual novel" character isn't the noble, goofy yet lovable lawyer in a blue suit, then get out my face. I don't want that mess.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Listen.
I get that Dark Samus, in the year of our lord, 2018, is not getting in completely unique and that her inclusion as a copy of Samus was lucky. Especially in a game with as small a development cycle as this and with such a focus on returning elements rather than groundbreaking new ones and I want to make it clear here:
I am grateful.

However, I still feel that it is absolutely absurd that she, as a character, is less different than most other clones, especially when you can see all the effort put into her animations compared to even the clones created in Melee, which have been diverged even further in Ultimate.

Also, you can argue about his impact on Nintendo history all you want, but I'd say Mario Maker and Mario Odyssey are also massively popular and are regulated as alternate costumes, especially considering the only reason he even got back was due to being in Melee as a clone. You cannot seriously tell me that had any of the aforementioned characters been introduced with Ultimate's "echo fighter" characterization that any person would legitimately attempt to push them as even partially unique characters.
A large part of life sometimes is luck. Echo or clone or costume, Dr. Mario does have a niche on the roster. Mario has become more and more different as the series has gone on, while Doc represents the classic style to Mario (Melee and Smash 64). Unfortunately, he was not balanced properly for Smash 4 compared to Mario.

Yeah, its a shame Dark Samus has all these unique animations yet she is still clonier than the cloniest clone of the series up until the arrival of echoes (Dr. Mario). but she is still incredibly fortunate to have even made it in at all, give all of the circumstances. Hopefully, the modding scene makes her unique or if she does ever become fortunate enough to return in a future Smash title she ends up becoming her own fighter (like what happened to the likes of Ganondorf, Falco, and Roy).

However, even though the echo fighter category is a bit rough, these are very unique circumstances for a Smash Bros. title. At least Daisy, Dark Samus, Chrom, etc. now have their foot in the door, and models for modders to work with (assuming Ultimate ever ends up with an active modding scene).

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
A large part of life sometimes is luck. Echo or clone or costume, Dr. Mario does have a niche on the roster. Mario has become more and more different as the series has gone on, while Doc represents the classic style to Mario (Melee and Smash 64). Unfortunately, he was not balanced properly for Smash 4 compared to Mario.

Yeah, its a shame Dark Samus has all these unique animations yet she is still clonier than the cloniest clone of the series up until the arrival of echoes (Dr. Mario). but she is still incredibly fortunate to have even made it in at all, give all of the circumstances. Hopefully, the modding scene makes her unique or if she does ever become fortunate enough to return in a future Smash title she ends up becoming her own fighter (like what happened to the likes of Ganondorf, Falco, and Roy).

However, even though the echo fighter category is a bit rough, these are very unique circumstances for a Smash Bros. title. At least Daisy, Dark Samus, Chrom, etc. now have their foot in the door, and models for modders to work with (assuming Ultimate ever ends up with an active modding scene).
It feels a little biased, though.
:ultchrom: gets to spit on the meaning of an Echo.
:ultdarksamus: "hey bro what does dark samus do?" "i dont know i dont play american games"

If they don't use the phazon tentacles in some type of victory animation (because her Phazon shot is already her neutral special), then that's a wasted asset that could've been used. That's really my only complaint being the lack of a preexisting object you could incorporate.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
So who here is super disappointed with the roster so far? I’m not, however since I was disappointed in 4’s, I can only imagine there must be many also upset with U’s roster.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Touhou has fan made spinoff games on the Switch and PS4, actually... not any of the main official games, though.

And the main series still technically amateur and doesn't have a company. I wouldn't consider it Indie, myself.

edit: I have no idea if any of that affects any chances of getting into Smash, I was just saying

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So who here is super disappointed with the roster so far? I’m not, however since I was disappointed in 4’s, I can only imagine there must be many also upset with U’s roster.
Why would they be upset?
:ultridley::ultkrool::ultchrom: alone is enough to get people to shut up (unless they hate fire emblem and tbh i dont blame em)

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
All this talk about Fate representation in Smash is making me visualize people potentially shipping Saber with Corrin, for obvious reasons. I'm also thinking about plenty of jokes at the latter's expense, I'm twisted in that manner. I'm down for anyone joining the battle, so speculate and joke on, people.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
It feels a little biased, though.
:ultchrom: gets to spit on the meaning of an Echo.
:ultdarksamus: "hey bro what does dark samus do?" "i dont know i dont play american games"

If they don't use the phazon tentacles in some type of victory animation (because her Phazon shot is already her neutral special), then that's a wasted asset that could've been used. That's really my only complaint being the lack of a preexisting object you could incorporate.
I feel Chrom got a little more leeway (a different recovery, Final Smash, and some slightly different animations) due to the fact that Roy himself was already based off of Marth, and Marth himself already had an echo.

What is an even bigger crime pertaining to Dark Samus is that none of her taunts use her epic laugh:

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
The only character I really wanted that I've gotten so far is Inkling, however seeing characters that in all regards should've been in the game already being added I'm more happy with it than I could be.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I feel Chrom got a little more leeway (it seems like just a different recovery, Final Smash, and some slightly different animations) due to the fact that Roy himself was already based off of Marth, and Marth himself already had an echo.

What is an even bigger crime pertaining to Dark Samus is that none of her taunts use her epic laugh:
Have we seen all of Dark Samus' taunts already?
also that sounds a lot like Master Hand ngl

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Considering my dream character made it in along with the cuts returning that were really harsh in Smash 4...plus Dark Samus who I didn't think would happen. I am more than happy with the roster. Plus we're getting MORE. I mean, sure, my other most wanted in Ashley didn't make it, but the fact many of my favorites are back, AND several old characters have new looks? I am perfectly content.

Smash 4 really didn't have much for me. The cuts were pretty bad, and the most hyped I got was Mewtwo for DLC.

Grevmak

Smash Cadet
Anyone else just hopes Ultimate plays like a faster, less defensively-favored, more comboheavy version of Smash 4 at its heart? Because the first 2 I can already see but the free form combo vs DI + techchase gameplay of Smash is what makes me love Smash a lot.

It's the only point I'm only cautiously optimistic and not 100% hyped about. Characters, Stages, all these features look great already, I just hope that the combo gameplay isn't too over the top or exchange-jabs-for-4-minutes-a-stock levels. Not saying Smash 4 or Brawl is bad in that regard, I'm just a bit...Nervous? About the whole faster knockback thing that's been shown.

Also regarding the roster question: Not disappointed at all. Castlevania chars being in is great, but I'm usually fine with characters I liked previously playing well again. I'm that guy in Street Fighter who plays Ryu! ... And not much else. Smash's different in that regard, but as long as Marth or Ness feel good I'm completly content!

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's why I said I saw Fate as understandable but Touhou as not. I'm not gonna pretend I know a single thing about Touhou outside of what genre it is and its platform, but I still see both of them as laughable suggestions. In the sense of visual novels, that's an ESRB crippler. In the sense of a mainly PC-oriented Japanese bullet hell funride, eeeeeeeeeeeeh I doubt there's gonna be another Cloud situation because at least most people who owned a PSX or existed during the late 90s console wars knew what a Cloud Strife was in America. I don't know if Touhou is a thing in Europe, but at least in America I know there's not much.
Eh, I don't see a difference when it comes to them being well known game-first series. I mean, yeah, Touhou is more niche of the two, no denying that.

But there's kind of bigger issues anyway. Touhou's creator has an emphasis on the idea that anyone is allowed to use his characters as long as they don't try to sell the content they created for money. He doesn't give a rat's ass otherwise. This means him licensing them to Smash seems super unlikely to begin with. Fate isn't in the same situation to my knowledge, so it probably wouldn't be anywhere near as hard to get in.

The whole "which one is more known" isn't a big deal in this case. Touhou has more than enough widespreadness to be fairly niche in the same way Tales Of is. Enough fans to easily justify the idea of wanting content. It has a presence. ZUN is the bigger issue, not their presence being niche, imo.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Inkling was my former most wanted newcomer, so I'm happy they made it in. I also wanted K. Rool, so he's pretty cool. Right now, my most wanted is a Rhythm Heaven rep (preferrably Chorus Kids or Karate Joe, but Marshal or Tibby's fine as well). If it gets in, i'd be happy with anybody else.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Have we seen all of Dark Samus' taunts already?
also that sounds a lot like Master Hand ngl
I believe we have. One when she spins around and glows in blue phazon energy, another that's similar but she poses with her arm on her arm cannon, and another where she poses similar to Samus which is kinda odd because that doesn't really fit Dark Samus.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't think about if a roster "disappoints" me or not.
Due to internal decisions, Yoshi will be cut from the roster. Instead, Randall will take his place
What happens now?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
brb gonna ask capcom for ace attorney dating novel
Yeah but Ace Attorney doesn't fit into the mold of Visual Novel to some extent? But it also offers actual gameplay of some kind so maybe not.

Though there's plenty of people who'd probably date Edgesworth, even though he's a ****.

I'm almost baffled how people could be disappointed with Smash 4's roster, let alone Smash Ultimate. I was a Ridley supporter during that time too, but getting Mega Man, Little Mac, Shulk and Pac-Man more than made up for one character I liked missing out on the fun. Then Ryu, Mewtwo and Cloud of all people were DLC. It was cool my *****.

Smash Ultimate brought back Snake, Ice Climbers, Wolf, the other Third Parties, and even some losers I don't care about. And the new **** is Ridley finally making it, K. Rool finally making it, Simon, Richter and Dark Samus? Nah, that's too clean. I mean, I kind of wish Protoman got to be Mega Man's Echo. And that's unlikely, unless they both show up in each other's Final Smashes, which would be really, REALLY sick.

The fact we aren't quite done yet proves the devs are crazy and I'm all for the thuggery that'll ensure. Can't wait to see the next character get bodied in a trailer.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Why would they be upset?
:ultridley::ultkrool::ultchrom: alone is enough to get people to shut up (unless they hate fire emblem and tbh i dont blame em)
Well I'm by no means disappointed, but I will say I couldn't really care any less about either Chrom or Ridley. I know Ridley was super requested, but don't assume that means everyone cares. lol I'm still happy he's here for everyone else though.

K Rool and Simon more than make up for any hype deficit I might feel for those two however. Also I am very optimistic about how the roster is turning out as well.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Bruh I just be out here counting my blessings. Every game there's always a bunch of characters I get really nervous about getting cut. I let out my longest sigh of relief ever when I saw that "everyone is here" at E3. I was so happy not to have to say goodbye to Wii Fit Trainer or Duck Hunt or any of them. Most of my most wanted newcomers were added in Smash 4 anyways (Villager, Pac-Man, Rosalina, Duck Hunt Dog) so everything since has just kind of been icing on the cake for me.

Unless they reveal Chibi-Robo at which point I would be a VERY happy man.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
You have a point and I hate that.
I still want a unique Isabelle though, I don't know about anyone else but I'd certainly notice the lost potential.
I completely understand that feeling. Plenty of people are still disappointed about dark Pit not being unique. Just because a character makes sense as an echoe doesn't mean they wouldn't have been awesome as a unique newcomer. Thanks for being respectful. Most people on the internet don't admit when someone with an opposing viewpoint has a point. I'll be happy for you if she gets in as unique:)

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Well I’m happy with it. Although, like alot of others, there are some characters to truly make people go insane for this game.

Me, and a lot of other people, want Isaac to put a nail on the coffin for Ultimate to be the best of all time. I supported him ever since I was 10 years old and I want to be psyched by the idea that after 5 years of support I get to play as him. Some supported him for at most 17 years, imagine waiting that long and have him finally get in, this the longest character that has been supported as long as Ridley.

There’s also some others like Elma and Lycanroc that would make me just done with this game since they ended up introducing me to Pokémon and Xenoblade respectively and became my favorites and having to play as them in Smash would make an amazing game still better.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm absolutely satisfied with the roster as it is so far and I'm not remotely disappointed with anything about it yet. I got some of my most wanted (:ultkrool::ultridley:), they've been adding major newcomers with years of immense amounts of fan support at long last. All that, plus a few other well deserving newcomers, and the entire collection of all past Smash veterans really makes this game earn it's title in my eyes. If Tetra from WW was among the newcomers, then this would be about as perfect as Smash could ever get for me.

I'd still love to see characters like Isabelle, Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee, too, but if it was just Tetra at this point, I probably wouldn't ask for anyone else at that point; not anyone that I personally want, at least. Her plus the game's current and already amazing roster would be perfect for me. It'd simply be even better if I managed to get the rest of my most wanted in addition to that.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Me? I'm fine with the roster. More than fine, even. Although, I'm still curious if you-know-who is still cursing Sakurai, despite the fact that Metroid and DK are finally getting a whole lot more meat to 'em.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I got Inklings, and Incineroar, Isabelle and Geno seem likely too, so i'm happy.

I have to say though, this roster seems like a 90s kids dream. But if you're not a kid who grew up playing the snes you might start to feel a bit left out.
I don't know Ridley. i don't know K Rool. The newcomer i'm most excited for so far is Inkling because they're from a game i've actually played. this isn't to say i'm disappointed with the roster, because it's amazing so far, it's just how I feel. I'm an idiot though so what do I know lol.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If palutena tries to cook, there will be results as terrifying as a vegetable monster.

Which in a world of eggplant wizards, is scary.

And because she doesn’t want him to read his contract.
That is correct...also she doesn’t want him to read her secret diary
"Sakurai is putting in too many old, forgotten characters! Where's Thanos and Minecraft Steve?! Retro bias!"

Oof all middle-school Smash fans.
Not enough bias

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Squirtle's back? Ridley? K.Rool?

This roster is nothing short of excellent.

I'll agree, I was bummed by 4 cutting some of my favorites and leaving the big three to rot. I'm at the point where I only have a few more characters I really want, unfortunately they're all pretty unlikely.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Oh I'm incredibly happy with this masterpiece of a roster.

If I got Paper Mario, I would be truly content. But for now, I'm absolutely satisfied and happy. This game is truly a gift, and if anyone's disappointed....what are you on???

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Imma bet people would be pissed if Fire Emblem got 8 reps in Smash Ultimate (matching with Mario, and eventually Zelda/Pokémon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom