• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
okay i need to be the one to say this,

THAT WAS JUST A RED STATUE IN THE BACKGROUND, NOT BLACK KNIGHT HIMSELF.
Look at the smash 4 version. It's a black armored character with a crimson cape and the same unique armor and helmet shape as black knight. The only difference is the trim is yellow instead of white.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
So...a Hat in Time is coming to Switch.

Hat Kid is now a new DLC pipe dream for me. I will never ask Sakurai for anything ever again if that happens. It'll never, ever happen, but gosh darn it let me dream, lol.
Oh and look what else they showed in the trailer… A BANJO KAZOOIE COSTUME… If a Hat in Time (such a random game imo) are showing love to Banjo Kazooie, I would be baffled if Smash doesn't do it as well. But then again game companies make weird choices…
1534785953789-1.png

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
Nintendo Dream (a magazine in japan, I don't think it is affiliated with Nintendo though, can't actually find any info on this) released the full results of a poll related to the most popular gen 7 pokemon. I think the article itself is pretty old (again can't find real info) but only had the top 10.
https://www.ndw.jp/pokemon-ranking/
I don't think this really impacts what gen 7 pokemon we're getting (as the roster was long decided by the time this poll took place) but it's still interesting.

Here are some of the results of characters I see people say have a chance for smash.
  • #3 Primerina
  • #5: Dusk Lycanroc
  • #7: Silvally
  • #12: Incineroar
  • #15: Decidueye
  • #17: Goliospod
  • #23: Nihilego
  • #24: Pheromosa
  • #27: Midnight Lycanroc
  • #30: Tsareena
  • #41: Day Lycanroc
  • #43: Necrozma
  • #49: Kommo-o
  • #56: Tapu-Koko
  • #76: Buzzwole

POUR ONE OUT TO THE FALLEN COMRADES
  • #2: Mimikyu
  • #4: A. Vulpix
  • #6: A. Raichu
  • #10: Togedamaru
  • #14: Pyukumuku
  • #20: Bewear
  • #32: Lunala
  • #40: Solgaleo
  • #51: Marshadow
  • #54: A. Exeggutor
4 out of the top 10 are already pokeball pokemon, which is interesting.
Alolan Trainer would be nice with Rowlet (#1), Torracat and Primarina (#3). Or maybe an alolan champion with Primarina (#3), Decidueye(#15) and Incineroar (#12)?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, it is interesting that trophies have not been seen yet. Even in the trailers the characters are looking much more like it's the living breathing characters instead of toys given to life. Specifically with some of them dying.

The last Smash game had shown several trophies by this point

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
After a while, I have a brand new prediction that I have thought up recently. This is who I’m predicting so far:

1. Elma
2. Lycanroc
3. Rhythm Heaven (OC)
4. Isaac
5. Geno
6. Banjo and Kazooie
X. Isa?
X. Sceptile?

The first three are more recent characters I think will get added for relevance and moveset potential. However, with Rhythm Heaven I have an idea where they might make an original character (like a standard RH style dude and girl) and that character has moves where several other characters from different iconic mingames join in by pressing the attack button at the right time, like the wrestlers for his grabs and throws, the Chrous kids for some smash attacks, or Karate Joe for a jab or special.

The next three are popular ballot characters. Isaac, Geno, and Banjo are the big three popular characters not yet in Smash that I can easily see end up getting added. This can total up to 6 newcomers which is still less, but provide the best of both worlds, and we’d still have 7 out of potentially 10 characters be from the ballot (Inkling is sort of an exception).

Now you got the last two. I had these two in the backseat for a bit and I can see happen, but may not be as likely. Isa can be added to bring in a new franchise (Sin and Punishment) and bring in a unique playstyle with his gunblade and a unique flight mechanic for his recovery. They can even add Saki as an echo for Isa, but remove his up special with a upward slash. Based on what we’ve seen from KI’s gameplay style and Saki’s AT begin added and along with some other things, I have a hunch that Sakurai might’ve considered Isa before, or an S&P Rep for that matter.

I also have Sceptile on here as well since I think with the ballot, Sakurai might add a popular Pokémon that can bring in something unique from a generation not yet present in Smash. Sceptile brings in a fully fledged grass moveset with rapid speed for a rush down playstyle, arm blades, and can set up growths as well. Not to mention that ORAS did release in time to at least be considered and with Hoenn getting a lot of love during that time, I think it may be possible that Sakurai might consider adding both a Gen 7 and a Gen 3 Pokémon, since Pokémon is a franchise that can add a lot of unique characters for Smash.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Oh and look what else they showed in the trailer… A BANJO KAZOOIE COSTUME… If a Hat in Time (such a random game imo) are showing love to Banjo Kazooie, I would be baffled if Smash doesn't do it as well. But then again game companies make weird choices…
Uh, A Hat in Time is the exact game in which you would expect Banjo-Kazooie references. It's exactly inspired by that kind of game, this doesn't mean even half of a thing for BK in Smash.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Uh, A Hat in Time is the exact game in which you would expect Banjo-Kazooie references. It's exactly inspired by that kind of game, this doesn't mean even half of a thing for BK in Smash.
I never said it did. I'm talking about the general aspect of Banjo getting some recognition at the current time being, nevermind on which game. Also I already said it has nothing to do with smash.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Well, it is interesting that trophies have not been seen yet. Even in the trailers the characters are looking much more like it's the living breathing characters instead of toys given to life. Specifically with some of them dying.

That's very true. That'll be sad then. I'll miss the trophies because that means that mode where you slap them into the center wouldn't be there.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Apparently some people are saying in other places that Banjo and Kazooies 20th anniversary this year and a day off from Smash's release (December 6th, 1998).

Not to say that means anything, but just found it interesting.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace

I think they all look exactly the same as the Smash 4 trailers honestly, differences could be advances in technology and animation skills, but it doesn't seem like a deliberate art style change.

Also, the part about trophies I'm not really sure, but I don't think it's true either. I vaguely remember people thinking the exact same thing because it took a whole year for them to even start showing -some- trophies in the first Smash Direct they did. Seeing as the Vault menu is still there, I'm fairly certain trophies are still in the game, otherwise what even would be there?

Apparently some people are saying in other places that Banjo and Kazooies 20th anniversary this year and a day off from Smash's release (December 6th, 1998).

Not to say that means anything, but just found it interesting.
Yeah we've been over this a lot of times and Smash 4 missed a whole lot of comemorative dates, so they never do that and probably never will.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Nintendo Dream (a magazine in japan, I don't think it is affiliated with Nintendo though, can't actually find any info on this) released the full results of a poll related to the most popular gen 7 pokemon. I think the article itself is pretty old (again can't find real info) but only had the top 10.
I don't think this really impacts what gen 7 pokemon we're getting (as the roster was long decided by the time this poll took place) but it's still interesting.

Here are some of the results of characters I see people say have a chance for smash.
  • #3 Primerina

• #4: A. Vulpix
Decidueye is 15?

He was barely out of the top 14 fighting neck and neck against Incineroar. It’s surprising to say the least.

EDIT: Turns out Incineroar is 12th, my bad, but maybe the popularity of Decidueye in Japan isn’t as bad as we thought it was. It’s actually pretty popular all over.

I’m also surprised Midnight got 27, I thought it was in the 50s. But I guess it’s pretty popular. Day though, it’s not as much but it at least got top 50 lol. But it is a Japan only pole.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I know its not a Gen 7 Pokemon, but has anybody brought up Rotom as a potential Pokemon fighter? Not saying its likely but I thought I might as well throw out the idea.

This little guy might have originated in gen 4, but he did received some importance Sun and Moon with the Rotom Pokedex.

For moveset potential, Rotom could use all of his different forms for attacks, giving him the power to use electricity, fire, ice, flying, water, and grass attacks.

D

Deleted member

What other Gen 7 'mon looks like it could be an interesting fighter? Buzzwole is a given, but are there any others?
Golisopod looks pretty cool to me. If Sakurai is going based solely on concept art, there's no garuntee it'll be a starter that he chooses. He may choose whatever looks 'cool' to him, which very well could be one of the Ultra Beasts or Golispod. I could see him adding in Alolan Raichu, too. Then we'd have the entire Pikachu line lol. I could see Alolan Raichu being a semi-clone; Thunder, Quick Attack, Smashes shared, but Tilts, Down B, Up B, and Ult different (Ult would probably be similar to Mewtwo's, but called 'Shattered Psyche' after the Psychic Z move).

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm confident all characters (outside of a couple echoes) will all be moderately popular characters, whether that be through the ballot or in-general popularity.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd predict this as our final lineup:
Ken, Isabelle, Shadow
Incineroar, Isaac, Geno, Banjo & Kazooie, Lloyd Irving

I'd say Chorus Men, Bandana Dee, and Skull Kid are possible as well, but I don't see them as likely as the above characters. I'm confident in getting at least 5/8 of the above lineup. A third party blow-out is being saved for the end for maximum hype.

Banjo & Kazooie and/or Sora are going to be DLC as it's easier to share profits from DLC.
Coming back to this, here's what I'd predict for reveals:
Incineroar revealed at the Pokemon World Championships

Banjo & Kazooie revealed in a September Direct for Nintendo online as the first DLC character, is free if you purchase a Nintendo online subscription by a certain date.

Isaac and Isabelle revealed in a general Nintendo Direct in October to go along with a revival of Golden Sun (likely a remake) and a new Animal Crossing game

Lloyd, Ken, Shadow, and Geno are revealed in a final Smash Direct before the game releases.

Chorus Kids would get a standalone trailer like the day the game releases if they're in.

ALSO, has anyone checked King K. Rool in Smash Ultimate compared to his Mii Costume in Sm4sh?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Of course you can, because Gen 7 was the last one you played.

Sheesh, Pokemon fans are worse than Zelda fans with the whole "This new game is great so that means the last one wasn't that great" trend. I remember everyone LOVING Gen 6. And this is coming from a VERY casual Pokemon player.
Er, even from the beginning Gen 6 had a large number of fans that felt it was mediocre or worse, that's not something that just popped up out of nowhere.

Also, using the 'trend' to denounce someone's opinion is being ridiculously dismissive of why they like/dislike the games in the first place. Many of the fans who disliked Gen 6 still disliked it when it was initially released, their opinions didn't change just because another Generation came their way.

• #3 Primerina

• #4: esA. Vulpix
Interesting, it's really nice to finally have these full results. I was curious where some of the Pokémon landed relative to the others, and while it's not perfect, at least we have the full data now. I will say that I'm surprised by how middling the Cover Legendaries and Poipole seemed to have done among Nintendo Dream fans. All of the Cover Legendaries (except for Necrozma's Solgaleo/Lunala forms) did in the 27-44 range while Poipole was in the 43-74 range, which is low for Pokémon consistently advertised like them.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Has anyone found a source for the "Spirits are Stickers" rumor? I've only seen it in ????????????? ????????????? 's video but no one has brought up any kind of source here.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Honestly? Isabelle and Bandana Dee I feel are the nost recent icons that are fighting for a spot. They're in direct competition with each other as the last of the newer characters that may be added.
But Bandanna Dee isn't really a "new" character since he made his debut in Kirby Super Star. Heck, he's significantly older than Dark Samus and Isaac!

ALSO, has anyone checked King K. Rool in Smash Ultimate compared to his Mii Costume in Sm4sh?
Ultimate K. Rool has different eyes and crown from that Mii costume, in addition to having a more tattered cape, which are the most notable differences.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Bandanna Dee is kinda like Robert Dowey Jr. in that he's been around a while but only recently got into the spotlight again in a big way (Return to Dreamland and Iron Man respectively).

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
View attachment 158856
Random thing to note about that, that's actually a Steam Workshop mod that they've evidently assimilated into the main game. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1192834191&searchtext=banjo It doesn't mean much but I thought it was worth pointing out.

But Bandanna Dee isn't really a "new" character since he made his debut in Kirby Super Star. Heck, he's significantly older than Dark Samus and Isaac!
In a way, though, BWD is a new "character," just not a new design, in the way that they didn't really develop him back in the day, so he really was just a tougher than average Waddle Dee with a bandana.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Unrelated question but has someone made an auto-stabalised version of the part of K. Rool's trailer when DK and Diddy react to him showing up for real?

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I do not think Yu will be on Sakurai's radar, unless he's a notable gaming icon (like frogger or leon kennedy, which Yu I feel isn't) or highly requested in the Smash 4 ballot (Which find to be unlikely. At best, I can see the P5 protagonist possibly being considered for DLC since the requests of him have been rising recently.
If a Persona character gets into the game, Yu Narukami is very likely. Dude is the poster child of the Persona series, and I'd say he's analogous to Marth's status in the Fire Emblem. Persona 4 was released in July 2008, and after a decade later Yu Narukami and the Persona 4 cast are still in games, with the most recent being Blazblue Cross Tag Battle, which released about three months ago. Persona 4 recieved a remake in 2012, has three prominent spinoffs in Persona 4 Arena (2012) and the remake of that game, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (2013), and Person 4 Dancing All Night (2015), which was so popular that Atlus decided to make dancing games for both Persona 3 and Persona 5, and the Persona Q series, of which the first released in 2014, and is receiving a sequel next year. Lets not forget the two anime series, based off of the original game (aired 2011-2012) and it's remake (aired 2014). Using approximations from VGChartz, the total sales of these games (minus Cross Tag Battle because it's not solely a Persona game) total 4.34 million.

There's a reason people joke about Atlas milking Persona 4, because they do. The debate of Joker vs. Yu Narukami ultimately comes down to whether Atlas wants to put in their tried and true, or the new and popular. I'd personally lean towards Joker based on how well Persona 5 sold (the highest out of any Persona game) and it's popularity in the West, with it receiving mass praise and accolades, but I definitely wouldn't discount Yu Narukami

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
okay i need to be the one to say this,

THAT WAS JUST A RED STATUE IN THE BACKGROUND, NOT BLACK KNIGHT HIMSELF.

What the **** are you on about? I've always hated Gen 6 when it came out.

Like, people say Gen 5 was disappointing, but i at least thought there was a decent amount of good pokemon in there.

Gen 6? total dumpster fire from the start. :^)
Kalos was a mixed bag as far as Pokémon designs go for me. Greninja is one of my favorite starter designs ever, while Delphox is one of my least favorites. Klefki and Trevenant are some of my absolute favorites, Volcanion is my favorite mythical, and I also really like Diggersby, Florges, Dragalge, Clawitzer, Talonflame, and Gogoat, but greatly dislike Aromatisse, Quilladin, and Binacle (despite really liking Barbaracle).

Team Flare sucked, but the Looker Bureau post game was great.

I do think that for as much as people like to rag on the rivals from that game, Tierno is an underrated character by Pokémon standards. That's my unpopular opinion for the day.

To bring this back around to Smash, an Anistar City stage would be gorgeous.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
If a Persona character gets into the game, Yu Narukami is very likely. Dude is the poster child of the Persona series, and I'd say he's analogous to Marth's status in the Fire Emblem. Persona 4 was released in July 2008, and after a decade later Yu Narukami and the Persona 4 cast are still in games, with the most recent being Blazblue Cross Tag Battle, which released about three months ago. Persona 4 recieved a remake in 2012, has three prominent spinoffs in Persona 4 Arena (2012) and the remake of that game, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (2013), and Person 4 Dancing All Night (2015), which was so popular that Atlus decided to make dancing games for both Persona 3 and Persona 5, and the Persona Q series, of which the first released in 2014, and is receiving a sequel next year. Lets not forget the two anime series, based off of the original game (aired 2011-2012) and it's remake (aired 2014).

There's a reason people joke about Atlas milking Persona 4, because they do. The debate of Joker vs. Yu Narukami ultimately comes down to whether Atlas wants to put in their tried and true, or the new and popular. I'd personally lean towards Joker based on how well Persona 5 sold (the highest out of any Persona game) and it's popularity in the West, with it receiving mass praise and accolades. But I definitely wouldn't discount Yu Narukami
As much as Yu would a cool protaginist, i would wonder if an SMT character that have out of the recent 3DS entries would be picked over Yu.

I mean, i don't think it would happen. (Because Atlus loves milking persona 4.) but a SMT fan can dream.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Intresting to see Golisopod so high on the list but I shouldn't be surprised given that Giant Isopods are memetically popular animals in Japan.

Tsaraeen is also number 30 overall, a little lower than expected.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Intresting to see Golisopod so high on the list but I shouldn't be surprised given that Giant Isopods are memetically popular animals in Japan.

Tsaraeen is also number 30 overall, a little lower than expected.
I wish he was higher.

I'd love for him to be talked about for Smash

He could be the new pokemon "villain"

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Oh, is this what we're doing?

Unique newcomers: Incinaroar, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Geno

Echos: Ken, Shadow, Isabelle, Dixie Kong.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
As much as Yu would a cool protaginist, i would wonder if an SMT character that have out of the recent 3DS entries would be picked over Yu.

I mean, i don't think it would happen. (Because Atlus loves milking persona 4.) but a SMT fan can dream.
As much as Traditional SMT has been mostly been on Nintendo consoles, Persona has way too much of a bigger sway to be ignored if Atlus were to get something.

My thoughts anyways.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Hell yeah, We few SMT fans gotta stick together. Maybe one day some people might even get SMT V.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

It won't. It's a similar scenario to Cloud. Persona is much more popular than SMT (Persona outsells SMT every single time) and is more prominent with spinoffs and other media. Even though Persona isn't prominently on Nintendo systems, a Persona character would still appear in Smash based off of Nintendo's good relationship with Sega and Atlus.

The way I see it, there are three potential SMT/Persona reps: Yu Narukami, Joker, or Jack Frost (hopefully potentially accompanied by Pumpkin Jack).

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
For some bizarre reason whenever I hear "Joker" it reminds me of Kamen Rider

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Hell yeah, We few SMT fans gotta stick together. Maybe one day some people might even get SMT V.
I'm a fan of a lot of things. Including SMT. I just don't scream it from the rooftops like I do for MGS, Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania, and Smash.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
For some bizarre reason whenever I hear "Joker" it reminds me of Kamen Rider
Joker is pretty common as far as codenames go.
It portrays that the person is simultaneously light-hearted, unpredictable, and a person with a sense of humor.

It's almost as prevalant as the name "Alucard."

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
On the topic of Pokemon, I'll ultimately have to say that Gen 6 was my least favorite, but I also have to admit that some good stuff came from it and I still enjoyed my time with the game. Aegislash, Clawziter, and Noivern are some of my favorite designs from that gen. I really enjoyed what Mega Evolution brought to the competitive side of things, even if they overdid it with some of them like Lucario and Gengar. Oh, and let's not forget trainer customization, even if the amount of options can be a little lackluster.

The problem is that Gen 5 is pretty much where the classic Pokemon formula had peaked and going from that the mediocre Gen 6 was a huge step down. I'm glad Gen 7 decided to shake things up and stand by its own merits rather than utilize the same tired old formula again. My hope for Gen 8 is that it builds off of what they tried with Gen 7 and improves it even further, while also hopefully allowing for more freedom of exploration (and the ability to skip cutscenes for later playthroughs).

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I even got the IOS version of SMT1 just to show support for it haha.
Worst part about the ios port is it hasn't even been patched to work on newer versions.

So, uh, good on those guys that both own an iphone 6 and like really old RPGs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom