• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Honestly, even with the animal duo comparison, I honestly don't see how they can be similar in fighting style.

Though I don't have the biggest attachment to Banjo, I do see him and Kazooie playing differently if they are given a unique moveset.

But with that said...I would totally see Nintendo making a B&K style game using DHD's design from Smash. Since Microsoft doesn't seem to care for the brand, you can always make a spiritual successor.-

Though, spiritual successors when it comes to B&K is pretty mediocre so far.

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
Comparing Banjo to Duck Hunt because they're an animal duo is absurd. Guess we didn't need K. Rool because we have Bowser. Or Mega Man because we have Samus.
This is quite honestly quite annoying. I made no comment about anyones preference or why it was wrong to want to have Banjo. I just gave my personal feelings regarding the character not being as interesting to me as they were before. There is absolutely no reason to jump on that at all. If I actually campaigned against ones character preference I would have made substantial arguments. I didn't because I personally just didn't care for them and would much rather have another character (DESPITE ME LIKING BANJO AND BEING AWARE OF ITS MOVESET POTENTIAL). You don't have to agree with my feelings, but ****ting on them isn't necessary either. I am glad for you guys if he does get in, who onows I might even play as them. But it's pointless to argue against a post that has no argument.

EDIT: I quoted you because you were the last, but this goes for anyone that piled on me. It's not like I am going to celebrate if he doesn't get in, I even specifically said I wouldn't mind. And I would feel sad for the fans that would want to see them. I just don't care for them personally anymore. And whatever my reason, that reason should be enough and not affect you in any way.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Hmm, well, :ultyoshi: kinda already filled the reptile niche back in the original Smash. Guess we'd better axe off :ultkrool::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultridley::4charizard::ultrobin then. After all, one reptile is enough.
You count :ultrobin as a reptile but not :ultcorrin:?
Robin is the vessel for one, but Corrin is actually part dragon. He even has narrow pupils like a snake.

:squirtle::ivysaur: and :ultsnake: should also count.

D

Deleted member

@ Yu vs. Joker
Yu is way more popular than Joker and the latter has yet to appear in a Nintendo console(PQ2 has yet to be released) while the latter jas had Persona Q for a time to qualify him(and BBCTB now). But, like, Persona 4 is the FF7 of the series, it has been milked to hell since it's the most popular one, I don't think Sakurai would choose Joker even if he is more stylish.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I agree that dark Pit and shulk aren't all stars. Not every character in smash is. But to say she's more of an all star than 3/4 of the cast is silly. I still think she can be in, but all star is a little much. She's only an all star compared to the remaining pool of character not already in.
It is an exaggeration yeah, but she atleast has a better chance in getting in than Waluigi
As Gods; Palutena, Medusa and Viridi seem to be able to change their general size at will (though since we've never actually seen Viridi in her human size form, she probably doesn't like using it in public, because she's self-conscious about her short stature). As the most "down to Earth" of the three, Palutena uses the human-sized form almost exclusively.

I was merely raising the possibility, not declaring it as a pattern.
Sakurai will still crush your expectations...then deconfirm whomever you want in Smash who hasn’t joined yet (say goodbye to your waifu)

As for the three main Goddesses of Kid Icarus, Viridi is strictly short physically (based on the height chart of Uprising) with her “Oz Mode” making her look bigger while Medusa could’ve been living off of the underworld and hatred for Pit/Palutena, and I don’t think Palutena changes ever (maybe for a rare occasion or just a one time thing like turning Medusa into a “monster”, but isn’t needed since she has Pit fight her battles)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You count :ultrobin as a reptile but not :ultcorrin:?
Robin is the vessel for one, but Corrin is actually part dragon. He even has narrow pupils like a snake.

:squirtle::ivysaur: and :ultsnake: should also count.
Technically Ivysaur is more of a frog than a dinosaur, in spite of the English name

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
This is quite honestly quite annoying. I made no comment about anyones preference or why it was wrong to want to have Banjo. I just gave my personal feelings regarding the character not being as interesting to me as they were before. There is absolutely no reason to jump on that at all. If I actually campaigned against ones character preference I would have made substantial arguments. I didn't because I personally just didn't care for them and would much rather have another character (DESPITE ME LIKING BANJO AND BEING AWARE OF ITS MOVESET POTENTIAL). You don't have to agree with my feelings, but ****ting on them isn't necessary either. I am glad for you guys if he does get in, who onows I might even play as them. But it's pointless to argue against a post that has no argument.
I'm not ****ting on you for not caring for them in Smash. I'm calling out this particular sentence " Especially not after Duck Hunt got in. The first thing I thought was that they worked together like them, and I just can't see how no one else couldve yad that reaction when they were reveiled."

That's a very surface level statement, and it irked me the wrong way. Because even if you didn't personally say it, I've seen enough people talk about Banjo being too similar to Duck Hunt and it drives me crazy. So if that's not what you mean, then please word it better next time. Because such surface level statements can be said for many characters on the roster and is absolute nonsense.

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Hey guys, I know this has been brought up a few times already but given the state the game is in now, what are the chances of a delay at this point? Even though the game has been in development for a few years and everything looks great after looking at the latest direct and the fact we have a playable competitive demo, a delay is still my only concern for this game in all honesty.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Technically Ivysaur is more of a frog than a dinosaur, in spite of the English name
I kind of figured it was the fusion of a dinosaur, a toad and a tropical plant.

In fact, every grass starter up until gen 6 has been reptilian, and most of them dinosaur-like.

Last edited:

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
Could I roll my eyes possibly any harder when I see the 'Duck Hunt' comparison for Banjo-Kazooie. It's just a clear indication of no knowledge of the games. At all. I'm getting tired of seeing these same old arguments.

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
Hey guys, I know this has been brought up a few times already but given the state the game is in now, what are the chances of a delay at this point? Even though the game has been in development for a few years and everything looks great after looking at the latest direct and the fact we have a playable competitive demo, a delay is still my only concern for this game in all honesty.
I think the devs might end up in some pretty hot water if they end up announcing a delay after giving out such an exact release date.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
0%
Judging from the demos and direct, this game seems extremely far into development, probably nearing the end of it.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Nintendo's second-half of 2018 is dependent on this game and Pokemon Lets Go.

There's no way this will get delayed.

Staarih

Smash Master
Unless the game is really behind schedule - which it definitely isn’t from what we’ve seen - a delay isn’t needed. These days you can just patch any missing components via updates at a later date if wanted/needed. As long as the essentials are good to go, making the release date is a-okay.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think the devs might end up in some pretty hot water if they ended up announcing a delay after giving out such an exact release date.
Wouldn't be the first time - Brawl was delayed twice despite giving specific release dates (it was delayed from December 3, 2007 to February 10, 2008, and then it was pushed back again to March 9, 2008), though at least one of them had Sonic announced alongside it to soften the blow.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
If it was to be delayed, they're ****ed

- Holiday sales
- Hot water on Nintendo
- Greatest Smash of all time
- More hot water
- So far in development
- Waiting until the game is released to discuss DLC

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I don't think we're getting any delays. Brawl was only delayed because of Sonic being added later (I can't recall if it had any prior delays, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Now unless people complained enough that Sakurai decided to put lean purple man in the game, a delay isn't happening, and even then in the age of DLC I don't see them delaying for reasons like Brawl was.

EDIT: Brawl was delayed twice. So there's that.

Last edited:

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
I'm not ****ting on you for not caring for them in Smash. I'm calling out this particular sentence " Especially not after Duck Hunt got in. The first thing I thought was that they worked together like them, and I just can't see how no one else couldve yad that reaction when they were reveiled."

That's a very surface level statement, and it irked me the wrong way. Because even if you didn't personally say it, I've seen enough people talk about Banjo being too similar to Duck Hunt and it drives me crazy. So if that's not what you mean, then please word it better next time. Because such surface level statements can be said for many characters on the roster and is absolute nonsense.
I understand. I did not mean to compare them gameplay wise and I didn't. But what irks me is that a lot of the people who comment on my post did not comprehend what I was saying at all even after explicitly stating that I wouldn't think theyd play the same (and people saying i have no knowledge of the game despite having played both titles). Yet people are still commenting on that. That irks me personally. I updated my comment btw with that I didn't mean to single you out with the qoute, it was more general annoyment because I have now people putting words in my mouth. Maybe it's a language barrier thing or something. I do not think that having an animal duo already is a good argument for a characters exclusion at all. But for me personally, in the sense that I wanted an animal duo working together. I already got what I wanted. And you know, everyone can think that's stupid or whatever, but atleast I know that I haven't been dismissive of anyones personal preference with this account or my old account. So I'll just come back in a while I guess.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I understand. I did not mean to compare them gameplay wise and I didn't. But what irks me is that a lot of the people who comment on my post did not comprehend what I was saying at all even after explicitly stating that I wouldn't think theyd play the same (and people saying i have no knowledge of the game despite having played both titles). Yet people are still commenting on that. That irks me personally. I updated my comment btw with that I didn't mean to single you out with the qoute, it was more general annoyment because I have now people putting words in my mouth. Maybe it's a language barrier thing or something. I do not think that having an animal duo already is a good argument for a characters exclusion at all. But for me personally, in the sense that I wanted an animal duo working together. I already got what I wanted. And you know, everyone can think that's stupid or whatever, but atleast I know that I haven't been dismissive of anyones personal preference with this account or my old account. So I'll just come back in a while I guess.
I didn't mean to come off as antagonistic, so I apologize for that. I just get really bothered at any mention of Banjo and Duck Hunt similarities.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Brawl was delayed and it did fine. :ultwolf:
Brawl's a different story here. There isn't much going on in the back half of the year for Nintendo that's huge save for this game and Pokemon Go! If one was to drop, then Nintendo isn't going to have any decent holiday sales

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Nintendo would send all their staff to help finish Smash before a delay happens in the situation they are in.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Banjo and Kazooie are a duo and Duck Hunt is a trio. Banjo is a bear and the Duck Hunt trio has a dog. Kazooie is a breegul and the Duck Hunt trio has a duck. Needless to say, they’d play completely different from each other.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Here's another question.

Do you guys feel we still need more villains, or do you think we're good where we are at?

This isn't a "I think X villain should be in Smash" question, I am speaking purely based on quantity, not who that quantity is made up of.

To recap, we have :ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultganondorf::ultkingdedede::ultkrool::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultwario::ultwolf::ultdarkpit: as the general consensus. Some of them aren't full blown villains, yes, but they've mostly prominently been on the "not really a hero" spectrum more often than not. You can still probably give or take a few of these guys if you genuinely don't think one a bad guy, particularly Mewtwo.

I mostly ask because I remember a good chunk of people always wanting more villains in both Brawl and Smash 4's days. With every character returning and a solid 3 new villains to the lineup, do you think that's enough?

Because if I'm being honest, I really don't want another villain beyond what we have. I think this is just the right quantity.
Many people wouldn't but I still consider Mewtwo a villain. Just the way he looks. He looks threatening and imagining him fighting along side heroes, he'd stick out.

I'm opposed to Porky but he's the only villain missing other than Skull Kid. I hope Eggman can represent his place.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Brawl's a different story here. There isn't much going on in the back half of the year for Nintendo that's huge save for this game and Pokemon Go! If one was to drop, then Nintendo isn't going to have any decent holiday sales
There wasn't much going on then either - Basically Super Mario Galaxy and it was donezo. Pokemon Let's Go! is probably gonna sell at least 10m just for existing.

I mean, I'm not saying it's a good idea, but I'm just pointing out that, like most ideas, we can't completely write it off the board.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think that there is a focus on adding more villains. So far, only 3 were added. Two of them were highly requested characters and the third is a clone. The focus is on adding highly requested characters that the community has wanted for a long time. And, there are many highly demanded characters who are not villains.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's an idea for a topic, let's say there's 5 more stages (6 slots with one DLC button), what stages do you want?

I'm not banking on another new series so my picks are

Woolly World, Orbital Assault Gate, Real Life ROB, Royale Avenue/Battle Royale Dome (Pokemon stage), Modern Kirby Stage (can't pick one)

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
We had "Little Mac Punches In!" for Smash 4, so it seems like the kind of lame pun they'd do.
Wait that's a pun?

Oh my god.

Like, "Punches In" as in "Arrives to the job"?

Is that it?

Four whole years spent watching that trailer so many times and I never got that!?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Wouldn't be the first time - Brawl was delayed twice despite giving specific release dates (it was delayed from December 3, 2007 to February 10, 2008, and then it was pushed back again to March 9, 2008), though at least one of them had Sonic announced alongside it to soften the blow.
Sonic was also the reason for that one.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
The K. Rool inclusion means Banjo-Kazooie in Smash Bros Ultimate?
K. Rool is from Rare, the same applies for Banjo-Kazooie. Am i right?

AND MICROSOFT BOUGHT RARE!!

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
It's funny. I was once a twelve year-old scamp messing around on Miiverse and I had made that same claim, that Banjo-Kazooie would have been nothing more than a clone of Duck Hunt. Looking back on that, I can't help but cringe a little at how dumb that argument was. Said characters would probably play nothing alike at all.​

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Sonic was also the reason for that one.
Yep. Sega originally refused to put Sonic in the game, but they eventually changed their minds and allowed Sakurai to put Sonic in, which increased the development load on him. However, the increased development time allowed Sakurai to add Jigglypuff, Wolf, and Toon Link. Brawl would've had 4 less characters had it released on its originally scheduled release date.
The K. Rool inclusion means Banjo-Kazooie in Smash Bros Ultimate?
K. Rool is from Rare, the same applies for Banjo-Kazooie. Am i right?

AND MICROSOFT BOUGHT RARE!!
No. Rare doesn't own K. Rool or any other DKC character anymore. Nintendo now owns full rights to the series and Retro Studios makes the DKC games now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom