• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Here's an idea for a topic, let's say there's 5 more stages (6 slots with one DLC button), what stages do you want?

I'm not banking on another new series so my picks are

Woolly World, Orbital Assault Gate, Real Life ROB, Royale Avenue/Battle Royale Dome (Pokemon stage), Modern Kirby Stage (can't pick one)
I really want Mount Volbano and the Steam Gardens from Mario Odyssey. Ultra Space would be rad. The Jambastion from Kirby, and Something for R.O.B.
He needs it.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Technically Ivysaur is more of a frog than a dinosaur, in spite of the English name
I thought the Bulbasaur line were toads. (Yes, there is a difference).
It is an exaggeration yeah, but she atleast has a better chance in getting in than Waluigi

Sakurai will still crush your expectations...then deconfirm whomever you want in Smash who hasn’t joined yet (say goodbye to your waifu)

As for the three main Goddesses of Kid Icarus, Viridi is strictly short physically (based on the height chart of Uprising) with her “Oz Mode” making her look bigger while Medusa could’ve been living off of the underworld and hatred for Pit/Palutena, and I don’t think Palutena changes ever (maybe for a rare occasion or just a one time thing like turning Medusa into a “monster”, but isn’t needed since she has Pit fight her battles)
Hah! Jokes on you! I have no expectations that my waifus will get in Smash!

Didn't Palutena do the whole "Oz Mode" thing while she was possessed by the Chaos Kin? I thought it was a given that that was a thing all the KI Gods could do (Medusa and Viridi just do it far, far more frequently than the others).

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Then, why K. Rool doesn't appeared in Smash 4 as an unique fighter?
Because Sakurai didn't want him in at the time, that's all. Microsoft has never owned K. Rool or the Kremlings, they've appeared in a lot of Nintendo games since Rare was bought by them. I mean, he even appears in Smash 4 as a trophy, even if he's not a playable character they would still need to have gotten the rights if he was actually a 3rd party character.

Rare might have created him, but he's 100% Nintendo owned.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Rare lost ownership of the DKC series and related characters when Microsoft bought them out. Nintendo now has full rights to DKC and all of its characters. Retro Studios makes the DKC games now.
Yep. Nintendo owns the Kremlings. They just haven't used them for some reason.

Banjo despite also being made by Rare is owned by Microsoft. Wish it wasn't because they certainly aren't using them.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I fail to see how you cannot see the similarities between the two to be honest.

Offcourse they would play differently, that was not what i meant with niche. They are most definately similar in concept though. In the same way that yooka Laylee is.

So FOR ME Duck Hunt is enough. I no longer care that much for Banjo and i much rather see other characters, even those that I know even less (like Isaac) fill a spot before them.
"We already have Mario, Ness doesn't need to be in Smash. Mario fills the 'wears a hat' niche."

That sounds ridiculous, right? So does "Banjo shouldn't be in Smash because another character already has a bird on their back."

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I thought the Bulbasaur line were toads. (Yes, there is a difference).
That can't be right. Bulbasaur never taunted me about going all this way to end up in the wrong castle.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I honestly have somewhat of a difficult time picking what stages I'd like. Maybe...
- Wedding Hall (Super Mario Odyssey)
- A Shrine. Namely, one from the Tests of Strength. (Zelda: BotW)
- Digitoll (From a certain little obscure series of RPGs on the 3DS. Props to anybody else who remembers it. ;))​

P.Kat

Smash Champion
My predictions:
Isaac 65%
Geno 60%
Bandana Dee 60%
Skull Kid 50%
Chorus Kids 45%
Inceneroar 40%
Banjo and Kazooie 40%

Isabelle 70%
Shadow 65%
Dixie Kong 60%
Impa 50%

I don’t expect all of them fyi
My predictions:
Isaac 75%
Elma 80%
Shantae 60%
Capcom character 80% (Amaterasu 70% Monster Hunter 25% (why show off the stage and Rathalos, but not Monster Hunter?))
Sora 60%
Geno 55%
Bandana Dee 55%
Skull Kid 50%
Rhythm Heaven character 50%
Pokémon 90% (Gardevoir 60%, Primarina 55%, Incineroar 50%, Lycanroc 55%)
Banjo Kazooie 40%

Isabelle 70% (still think she has a good chance of not being an echo)
Shadow 60%
Impa 55%
Dixie 60%

Noipoi

Howdy!
"We already have Mario, Ness doesn't need to be in Smash. Mario fills the 'wears a hat' niche."

That sounds ridiculous, right? So does "Banjo shouldn't be in Smash because another character already has a bird on their back."
Marth is a blue haired anime sword user, we don't need any mor-oh wait.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Here's an idea for a topic, let's say there's 5 more stages (6 slots with one DLC button), what stages do you want?

Woolly World, Orbital Assault Gate, Real Life ROB, Royale Avenue/Battle Royale Dome (Pokemon stage), Modern Kirby Stage (can't pick one)
*cracks knuckles*
-Norion from Metroid Prime 3, the gimmick is the ground can break and then it transitions to a 30 second air mode where everyone falls, fall too low or get too high, KO. You can hit the walls to launch back up and recover from helpless states, but it hurts a bit
-Jambastion from Kirby Star Allies, you fight around the Jambastion ship while the Mage Generals occasionally pop in to attack
-Stardust Speedway which originated in Sonic CD, a scrolling stage that scrolls through different speeds depending on the time period, Metal Sonic occasionally shows up and tries to ram into fighters on the path, but like Sonic Generations, there are platforms you can get on to avoid him
-Bowser's Castle, the room itself rotates, so we can see all the fiendish traps throughout the series which can hurt the players, while any inactive characters associated with Bowser, meaning Jr, the Koopalings and Bowser himself, appear in the background to taunt the fighters. Occasionally ascends up to an airship which has cannons fire
-Plains of Passage from Shovel Knight! A nice grassy stage which replicates the pixelart found in the game. It contains multiple Shovel Knight tracks and Black Knight (No not that one FE rans) shows up while riding his turtle thing from Plague of Shadows. Occasionally blocks can appear, which can get a fighter stuck similar to the barrels in Wrecking Crew. The blocks can stack and create walls, but they can be destroyed by players

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yep. Nintendo owns the Kremlings. They just haven't used them for some reason.
Seems to be a thing with Japanese developers where they don't feel comfortable using characters that they themselves didn't create.

Example A. Super Mario Land: Only the Marketable Mr. Nintendo is used and all others are copies of MK regulars.
Example B. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat: Playing the game is a bit like reading ultimate Marvel where you get the sense that things were changed for change's sake like the enemy Kongs and the little white Monkeys.
Example C. Sakaurai never used stuff created in the Kirby games he didn't directly create like Gooey and the animal buddies (outside of cameos)

There's more but I think that makes my point.

Last edited:

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
Does this apply to Banjo-Kazooie? And the Diddy Kong Racing?
Nintendo owns everything related to Diddy Kong Racing except Banjo, the Kremling(edit, they own the Kremling) , and Conker. See Diddy Kong Racing DS.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Nintendo owns everything related to Diddy Kong Racing except Banjo, the Kremling, and Conker. See Diddy Kong Racing DS.
And Tiptup, he's technically a Banjo character too. (no idea how he showed up in the remake)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Now ya see, when Zinith does this, it's endearing.

This is just annoying.
Imajin4Smash would be more convincing if he actually used images.

Marth is a blue haired anime sword user, we don't need any mor-oh wait.
The one we actually need, but don't deserve is dead forever.

BoFIV_Ryu_Artwork.png

Example C. Sakaurai never used stuff created in the Kirby games he didn't directly create like Gooey and the animal buddies (outside of cameos)

There's more but I think that makes my point.
Interestingly, Kumazaki is the complete opposite, as he's more than willing to use other people's creations, even from people that are MIA (Dark Matter Trilogy's director). It just wasn't obvious until Star Allies.

Last edited:

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
You're right. Don't know what I was thinking about the Kremling. I assume Tiptup counted as a cameo for the Banjo series, and Nintendo still owns him. But clearly I can't be trusted.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Dream Palace, Ultra Warp Ride, Golden Sun stage, Bowser's Castle SMRPG, and a Rayman stage to go with my predictions.

It's funny. I was once a twelve year-old scamp messing around on Miiverse and I had made that same claim, that Banjo-Kazooie would have been nothing more than a clone of Duck Hunt. Looking back on that, I can't help but cringe a little at how dumb that argument was. Said characters would probably play nothing alike at all.​
Yeah, that's the one reason I'm glad Miiverse is dead. I don't know if I could handle looking back on most of my posts, let alone knowing that that cringy garbage could be digged up by someone.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Brawl was delayed and it did fine
2007 had Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, and Mario/Sonic at the Olympics release the same year compared to this year with Pokémon Let’s Go and Super Mario Party...might not be as big of a holiday season without Smash Ultimate

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Shame that just like the Kremlings, Nintendo has refrained from using other Kongs outside of the core 4 plus Funky. GIV LANKY KONG

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Also if Yu ever got into Smash we’d have a playable character with Johnny Yong Bosch voicing them (and not just an AT).

I’m all for more JYB.
Yep. Sega originally refused to put Sonic in the game, but they eventually changed their minds and allowed Sakurai to put Sonic in, which increased the development load on him. However, the increased development time allowed Sakurai to add Jigglypuff, Wolf, and Toon Link. Brawl would've had 4 less characters had it released on its originally scheduled release date.

No. Rare doesn't own K. Rool or any other DKC character anymore. Nintendo now owns full rights to the series and Retro Studios makes the DKC games now.
Imagine the rage it would've had if Jiggs was cut instead of kept

Then no one would be safe except the Original 8

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
The K. Rool inclusion means Banjo-Kazooie in Smash Bros Ultimate?
K. Rool is from Rare, the same applies for Banjo-Kazooie. Am i right?

AND MICROSOFT BOUGHT RARE!!
No, because Nintendo has full ownership of anything created for the Donkey Kong series.

King K. Rool has been in Nintendo games after Rare was bought by Microsoft. He wasn't in Smash 4 because Sakurai didn't want to include him. Rumor is Nintendo retired K. Rool until they were shocked by support for him in the Smash Ballot.
Nintendo also owns all original content from Star Fox Adventures, such as Krystal, despite being created by Rare.
Does this apply to Banjo-Kazooie? And the Diddy Kong Racing?
No, Rare retains ownership of their original series such as Banjo-Kazooie, Conker, Battletoads, and Killer Instinct.
Nintendo seemingly owns Diddy Kong Racing, except Banjo & Conker..hence why they were replaced by Dixie & Tiny in the DS Remake..but the remake was still done by Rare, so they may share ownership like they do with Goldeneye 007 (aside from the James Bond ip itself, naturally)

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Imagine the rage it would've had if Jiggs was cut instead of kept

Then no one would be safe except the Original 8
I feel that if Jiggly was cut in Brawl, everyone would be going even more **** crazy about Ness and Captain Falcon not coming back during Smash 4 speculation, it would’ve made Captain Falcon’s reveal more impactful.

Though Jiggly is the most expendable of the original 12.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
On the topic of Diddy Kong Racing, Microsoft has allowed Rare to make and release games for Nintendo's handhelds in the past as they see it as a Market they don't compete in.

As the power of dedicated consoles outstrips the Switch more, it may be that Microsoft doesn't see Nintendo as a total competitor in the same way a shoe shop and a clothing shop don't directly compete. (similar product but for different things)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom